Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Counterpoint: the Australian Labor Party, which has spent the last three years fighting a protacted leadership battle instead of, you know, governing. I'd really rather not my party fall into a leadership crisis every eight months.

They actually did govern pretty well, passing more legislation than I think any other government in recent memory, despite the fact that they had a minority government with the Greens and independents for the first time ever in Australian history. The Labor Party are poo poo, but for other reasons.

That said, I actually do prefer our system of electing leaders. At least our way is somewhat representative of the people's wishes, rather than political game playing between members of parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
And, we did open the leadership process to ordinary Canadians, and got 100,000 people, most of whom had no political connection or interest before to vote in Justin. That was a pretty big gamble that has paid off. Most of the people who voted have donated or volunteered afterwards, which is always good for us.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

HookShot posted:

That said, I actually do prefer our system of electing leaders. At least our way is somewhat representative of the people's wishes, rather than political game playing between members of parliament.

Political game playing between partisans/party members is only more representative of "the people's wishes" than political game-playing among elected MPs if you have a very odd definition of "the people".

Basically I'm in favour of anything that empowers MPs vis-a-vis the party leader and party apparatus, because if the PM isn't actually a first-among-equals then, as we are observing, the entire system breaks down.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Political game playing between partisans/party members is only more representative of "the people's wishes" than political game-playing among elected MPs if you have a very odd definition of "the people".

Basically I'm in favour of anything that empowers MPs vis-a-vis the party leader and party apparatus, because if the PM isn't actually a first-among-equals then, as we are observing, the entire system breaks down.
The way the party leaders are elected now, your average person can spend $20 and have a direct influence on who becomes leader of their party.

If elected MPs are the ones choosing the leaders, people such as myself, who live in a riding where the NDP don't have a chance of winning, have absolutely zero chance of ever having the least amount of say as to who's the leader of their party. Even those who live in NDP ridings would need to make that call before choosing who to nominate for elections.

(edited stupid typo)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Maybe something where a majority of caucus can turf the leader but membership appoints the replacement, but I really cannot abide the australian system. It allowed a sociopath to spend three years sabotaging his party's electoral prospects in order to position himself as an alternative leadership candidate, and I typically prefer team players.

bunnyofdoom posted:

And, we did open the leadership process to ordinary Canadians, and got 100,000 people, most of whom had no political connection or interest before to vote in Justin. That was a pretty big gamble that has paid off. Most of the people who voted have donated or volunteered afterwards, which is always good for us.

Oh you!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Maybe something where a majority of caucus can turf the leader but membership appoints the replacement, but I really cannot abide the australian system. It allowed a sociopath to spend three years sabotaging his party's electoral prospects in order to position himself as an alternative leadership candidate, and I typically prefer team players.

I could go for something like this, I just think that the very fact that "anonymous Liberal insider" is a meme in this thread suggests that the Australian system does not uniquely enable sociopaths within political parties to undermine their teams for perceived personal gain.

At the end of the day, accountability to the people in our political system is meant to flow through MPs, and political parties are a convenient abstraction around that authority. I concede that I'm looking at this mainly through the lens of a governing party (and the concerns I expressed above are irrelevant to parties in opposition), but the current situation where MPs dance to the tune of party leadership or they lose their nominations regardless of what their riding associations say is frankly intolerable.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

CSS

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
So an Alberta MLA (formerly PC, now unsurprisingly an independent) from the northern riding of Fort Mac-Wood Buffalo has been charged with solicitation of prostitution in Minnesota after being arrested in a sting operation on Monday.

I guess that's one way to unwind on holidays, Mike.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

BCNDP posted:

Fine-able Offense,
On Thursday night, the BC NDP Provincial Executive voted to appoint a five-person panel to review the disappointing results of the 2013 provincial election.

The five panel members are:

Eugene Kostyra, former Manitoba cabinet minister and senior advisor to Premier Gary Doer
Cindy Oliver, President of the Federation of Post-Secondary Educators of BC
Andy Ross, former President of Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union Local 378
Pam Sihota, student at law in Terrace, BC
Jinny Sims, Member of Parliament for Newton-North Delta
In the coming days and weeks, the panel will begin to meet and formulate their plans for the review, including opportunities for NDP members and supporters to participate in the process.

They will be working under broad terms of reference, examining all aspects of the campaign, and the work and decisions that went into it.

Have a great weekend.

-The BC NDP Team

Don't worry guys, the BC-NDP asked an articling law student in Terrace to fix the party, it's all gonna be fine. :thumbsup:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fine-able Offense posted:

Don't worry guys, the BC-NDP asked an articling law student in Terrace to fix the party, it's all gonna be fine. :thumbsup:

This is super unfair.
The BCNDP is in desperate need of ridding itself of the old guard and handing the reins to a new generation. The presence of a young person on the panel is a positive sign, not something to be mocked.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The BCNDP dashed the hopes of every progressive leaning person in BC as far as I can tell. Every political party in BC sucks.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is super unfair.
The BCNDP is in desperate need of ridding itself of the old guard and handing the reins to a new generation. The presence of a young person on the panel is a positive sign, not something to be mocked.

This isn't loving Naheed Nenshi we're talking about, at least give me a young person who knows something about politics. I can't even figure out if she's politically active or has ever done anything of consequence beyond studying law and living in Terrace.

I mean I just spent ten minutes Googling her (which isn't hard since all her personal social media stuff is unlocked), and still know nothing at all about why she's qualified for this job.

Arabidopsis
Apr 25, 2007
A model organism

I'm more concerned with having Jinny Sims on there. You don't get more old-guard than that.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Arabidopsis posted:

I'm more concerned with having Jinny Sims on there. You don't get more old-guard than that.

I mean the whole list is pretty old school. It's... not good. gently caress COPE, they're a terrible union.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I wonder if Pam Sihota is related to Moe, the party president. Who probably ought to share a lot of the blame.

So you've got Pam, Jinny Sims, and two reps from unions that make up the NDPs largest donors. All kinds of accountability gonna happen here, I'm sure.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Man I can find next to nothing about this Pam girl, how the hell does she get named to this panel?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

mr. unhsib posted:

Man I can find next to nothing about this Pam girl, how the hell does she get named to this panel?

Assuming she's not Moe's niece or some poo poo, they grabbed the first sub-30 warm body they could find.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

mr. unhsib posted:

She enjoys dancing and James Gandolfini and reads thinkprogress.

She checks out guys, it's cool.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Assuming she's not Moe's niece or some poo poo, they grabbed the first sub-30 warm body they could find.

She's not related to Moe.

I have mutual friends with her, so I can tell she's active in the BCNDP in some capacity. I don't think it's a stretch to think that a young, bright, promising activist could leave little paper trail. It's certainly possible that the executive just cynically chose someone who could check off as many boxes as possible ([X] Young [X] Female [X] Minority), but I don't think she's an obviously bad choice until we know more.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Don't write off people just because they have no paper trail

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Yeah fair enough, put her on there. Weird there's no mention of her on the Young BC NDP's webpage though.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Mr. Wynand posted:

She enjoys dancing and James Gandolfini and reads thinkprogress.

She checks out guys, it's cool.

What the gently caress is this? How dare a LOWLY STUDENT help determine the reason that LOWLY STUDENTS weren't engaged by the party's message!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I think someone not being involved with university politics or within a party is almost more trustworthy , look at what the "paper trail" churns out , Giambrone and Paikin.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

So, I don't think anyone posted the Canadian Taxpayers Federation protest that happened yesterday across the river from Parliament Hill.

I Give You The Duffy Blimp.

From the Huffington Post:

"HuffPo posted:

Spokesman Gregory Thomas was clad as a carnival barker — complete with cane and flat-top hat — as the big Duffy balloon lurched to life by the shores of the Ottawa River.

"Step right up, ladies! Step right up, gentlemen!" Thomas shouted. "Come and see the senator who nearly ate a government."

As he spoke, men holding ropes laboured to keep the swaying Duffy doppelganger and its overflowing briefcase of cash from toppling into the water and floating away.

"Two thousand, one hundred and fifty cubic feet of hot air, with a grossly inflated sense of his own self-importance, and a giant bag of taxpayer money," Thomas said, later adding the big balloon cost his group $4,700.

Thomas says Canadian voters ought to have a chance to decide whether the Senate should be reformed or abolished altogether during the next federal election.

"We believe that every Canadian voter should decide the future of the Canadian Senate — not politicians, not judges and certainly not the unelected senators themselves," he said.

All in all, a pretty good likeness.

VVV Oh, I know. I'm just surprised at how good the balloon is.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would feel better about that if the Canadian Taxpayers Federation weren't scum-of-the-earth level neoliberals.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Twiin posted:

What the gently caress is this? How dare a LOWLY STUDENT help determine the reason that LOWLY STUDENTS weren't engaged by the party's message!

Yeah I kinda take it back... It was just a phenomenally insubstantial public persona I guess, but like others mentioned, that doesn't actually tell us anything about her.

Otoh, I do kinda wish the people who put her up might have...?

On the surface it does just seem to be token pandering - "no really, the leadership is not made up primarily of old guard boomers"

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 26, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've got three things for you today:

First, the notion that we don't have backstabbing and betrayals in our current system of choosing party leaders is not really accurate. Ignatieff essentially backstabbed and deposed Dion with the full support of the party, because he was the only real option to replace him. Martin did a similar thing to Chretien. I kinda hate to say it, but imagine if someone other than Justin Trudeau had won the Liberal leadership race. Do you think Trudeau, the God-and-central-leadership-anointed Next Prime Minister would have just gone back to being an obedient MP? I have a sneaking feeling he would have just been waiting and biding his time until he could depose the leader and assume the reins. Outside the Liberal Party I could see Mulcair doing the same thing had he lost, and if the Conservatives' fortunes continue declining I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody like Jason Kenney start undermining Harper to distance himself from the current government and prepare the way for his own leadership bid.

Second, there's a giant oil spill ongoing in Alberta and nobody understands how to clean it up, not even the company's own scientists.

quote:

Oil spills at a major oil sands operation in Alberta have been ongoing for at least six weeks and have cast doubts on the safety of underground extraction methods, according to documents obtained by the Star and a government scientist who has been on site.

Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. has been unable to stop an underground oil blowout that has killed numerous animals and contaminated a lake, forest, and muskeg at its operations in Cold Lake, Alta.

The documents indicate that, since cleanup started in May, some 26,000 barrels of bitumen mixed with surface water have been removed, including more than 4,500 barrels of bitumen.

The scientist said Canadian Natural Resources is not disclosing the scope of spills in four separate sites, which have been off bounds to media and the public because the operations are on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, where there is active weapons testing by the Canadian military.

The scientist, who asked not to be named for fear of losing their job, said the operation was in chaos.

“Everybody (at the company and in government) is freaking out about this,” said the scientist. “We don’t understand what happened. Nobody really understands how to stop it from leaking, or if they do they haven’t put the measures into place.”

Oh yeah, and they're also literally defiling a native burial ground:

quote:

The Cold Lake operations are on the traditional territory of the Beaver Lake Cree First Nation, which is pursuing a constitutional challenge that argues the cumulative impacts of oil sands industrial development are infringing their treaty rights to hunt, fish and trap.

As well, the First Nation says there are graves alongside the lake in the area affected by the spills, and that band members have been unable to access that area.

I hope native ghosts come and destroy their entire company.

Third, someone from Kingston posted this on the internet:

with the comment:

quote:

Kingston, Ontario is a very gay-friendly city. Just this year, the city itself sponsored Pride, and raised a rainbow flag at city hall for the month of June (our pride month).
We have many gay-friendly/safe establishments and institutions in Kingston. Just this year, a very openly gay high school teacher was awarded Teacher of the Year.
As a queer spawn, being made fun of (and beat up, harassed and tormented) my whole life because of my mother's sexuality, I have seen society's views change on homosexuality very quickly. Within my 16 years of living in Kingston (Kindergarten to 3rd year of college), I have felt the change first-hand. I've always known there will always be homophobes, but this is some Westboro Baptist poo poo.
The police and Biased Crimes Unit have been contacted.
Regarding the second letter, Kingston's local HARS (HIV/AIDS Regional Services) has been has bb's shot through their windows recently.
But as frightening as this is, I will NOT back down to support gay rights. gently caress, I'm straight and I'm on the Pride Committee.
I would take their bb shots to the face if it meant I could look these people in the eye while I beat the poo poo out of them.

Needless to say, I've lost my faith in humanity.

I really hope it's a fake thing, but if it's not... :smithicide:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
The letters remind me very much of what kids would write in order to gently caress around with people, but I'm really not sure.

edit: yeah, even in my misspent youth, loving around with people never left a paper trail, and it never went as far as threatening someone with real guns. edit2: or fake guns!

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 20, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Even if it's 'just' kids messing around, the fact that they put in the second letter 'Unfortunately we can't buy real guns to shoot [and kill] you with, so we'll shoot you with BBs instead' is loving sickening.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime
Where in Canada are guns hard to find? According to the Yellow Pages, Kingston has 9 gun stores. That's not even counting the black market. It's not even hard to get a non-restricted PAL. The hardest part is finding two people to confirm that you aren't a sociopath.

My money's on teenagers.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
http://www.ndp.ca/news/reality-check-are-you-conservatives-enemies-list

lmao at the third option for every multiple choice. It'd almost be worth it to spam that.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

mr. unhsib posted:

Today in wretched Canadian media, Cory Monteith died because InSite, probably. Oh and a heroin addiction is compared to liking sushi a lot: http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/Corbella+Vancouver+easy+drug+access+have+helped+kill/8678866/story.html
I have no earthly idea how you get from 'Insite saves lives' to 'celebrity drug addict dies because INSITE'.

I mean, besides the fact that this writer is an idiot. That's a given.

Also, nobody outside of Vancouver uses smack; it's all pills out here!

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I really hope it's a fake thing, but if it's not... :smithicide:

I'll be honest. When I first read those yesterday, I didn't doubt anything about them. But on subsequent readings, there were a few lines that set off my bullshit alarm. The references to a shadowy Christian cabal in the 'Deep South', the complaint about gun control, and the passage about being 'energized' by Supreme Court decisions is so over-the-top that it reads like a parody written by a leftist, or at least a normal person writing the way they think bigots talk. It reminds me of a writing assignment where a bunch of English majors had to conceal a crappy product review they'd written among real ones - it was almost always easy to detect the writings of a good writer pretending to be stupid. From those letters, I get the sense of a regular old rear end in a top hat pretending to be a whole-hearted bigot.

What I'm hoping is that it's either a lone rear end in a top hat who doesn't really mean it or a kid pulling a particularly lovely and illegal prank.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Huge Liability posted:

I'll be honest. When I first read those yesterday, I didn't doubt anything about them. But on subsequent readings, there were a few lines that set off my bullshit alarm. The references to a shadowy Christian cabal in the 'Deep South', the complaint about gun control, and the passage about being 'energized' by Supreme Court decisions is so over-the-top that it reads like a parody written by a leftist, or at least a normal person writing the way they think bigots talk. It reminds me of a writing assignment where a bunch of English majors had to conceal a crappy product review they'd written among real ones - it was almost always easy to detect the writings of a good writer pretending to be stupid. From those letters, I get the sense of a regular old rear end in a top hat pretending to be a whole-hearted bigot.

What I'm hoping is that it's either a lone rear end in a top hat who doesn't really mean it or a kid pulling a particularly lovely and illegal prank.

Apparently the person they were sent to is a Queens prof and HuffPo blogger, so who the hell knows, really.

http://www.queerty.com/homophobic-letters-threaten-violence-against-lesbian-couple-refusing-to-reconvert-20130719/

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kafka Esq. posted:

The letters remind me very much of what kids would write in order to gently caress around with people, but I'm really not sure.

edit: yeah, even in my misspent youth, loving around with people never left a paper trail, and it never went as far as threatening someone with real guns. edit2: or fake guns!

Considering some of the poo poo I've seen from grown adults is even more immature and idiotic than the poo poo I did as a kid... No, I'm perfectly able to believe that adults wrote that. They may not be serious, but it's a definite possibility.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Somehow I'm not surprised this happened in Ontario. I know I am painting in broad strokes here, but here in Calgary the worst "MOOSLEMS AND LIBERALS AND GAYS RUININ' ARE COUNTRY" strain of conservatives almost always seem to be from Ontario.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 20, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That Kingston letter... I don't know if I should be surprised or not.

I spent some time in Kingston and it's a very pro-gay town. Anyone who has been to the Sleepless Goat Cafe knows this. By being so progressive, you'd think that people like those who wrote the letter wouldn't exist but being that pro-gay in a town still close to the more remote areas of Ontario, it's no surprise really. Kingston has a strange mix of students, blue collar, high income and backwater remote rednecks. The idea of there being a minority of militant Christians... yeah it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure they will shoot up Tara Natural Foods too with their stupid BBs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kafka Esq. posted:

http://www.ndp.ca/news/reality-check-are-you-conservatives-enemies-list

lmao at the third option for every multiple choice. It'd almost be worth it to spam that.

Better still, if you pick the third option every time but one:

quote:

You’re so close to Conservative conformity...

...but Stephen Harper requires 100% Conservative commitment. Don’t be discouraged though, if you are a big time Conservative Party donor, you may still get appointed to the Senate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Better still, if you pick the third option every time but one.

That was me!

• Locked thread