Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got them from amazon who did a lovely job packing the drives.

Any comments about the proposed build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you might have better performance booting the system off of a USB flashdrive and using the SSD as a cache device in your ZFS pool. Even on my entirely-too-large array with a low-end Mushkin drive, I see a significant improvement between enabling and disabling cache. Some quick benchmarks here, though I'm now seeing even higher performance once I turned on CIFS tuning in NAS4Free.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think the 320 is a 120GB, but I can always just grab a 40GB drive for the OS.

Is there anything that I'm obviously missing? What should I look for in a power supply?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why not just an 8GB flash drive and run embedded? Or are you going to be running services on it that would be better done with a properly-writeable root?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
It would figure that the ONE drive out of six that I bought from newegg is throwing SMART errors in my Freenas Microserver.

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
Device: /dev/ada5, 48 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Device: /dev/ada5, 48 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I'm pretty sure this means the drive is dying? Now, I'm pretty sure in ZFS I can't just unplug the dying drive and slot in a replacement. From what I've read, I need to run

zpool replace poolname dyingdrive replacementdrive.

What I don't understand is what dyingdrive and replacementdrive refer to. My system just refers to them as /dev/adaX, which I think is a sata port and not a drive ID?

I'm not super worried at this point since I went with raidz2, so I'd have to lose two more drives at this point to lose the array, but still, I'd like to get the smart failing drive out of there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can use daX / adaX to refer to the drive no problem with ZFS commands. Some excerpts from my zpool history on NAS4Free:

code:
zpool add aggregate raidz da3 da4 da7
zpool replace aggregate ada1 ada3
In NAS4Free, at least, if the drive eventually pukes completely it gets an obnoxiously long numerical identifier, which you use instead:

code:
zpool replace aggregate 12183841014378852297 ada4
I think it will do the same thing if you just pull the old drive out completely; ZFS is smart and can tell whether the drive it sees on a given port is one that has actually existed in the array, or whether it's a fresh drive.

Alternatively, you may be able to remove or detach (I never know when to use which, ha) the drive from the array before you power it down to physically swap the drive.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why not just an 8GB flash drive and run embedded? Or are you going to be running services on it that would be better done with a properly-writeable root?

I'm not that well versed in the feature set of FreeNAS/NAS4Free, but at minimum I'd like to run rtorrent and hopefully some remote services to control a homebrew thermostat.

Also, a used SSD is peanuts.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pro tip don't put your storage server in the garage in the summer it won't be happy :v:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've been dreading this but I'm getting close to needing a storage server at home. I need a bit of specific feedback.

The N54L looks like a good choice with a 2.2 GHz dual core Neo cpu and enough room for hard drives and safe enough to put 8 gigs of ram in it. I would like to use it to replace my current VM server at home which just runs a few low cpu applications and a minecraft server. Would it be completely horrible trying to run freenas or nas4free as a VM on the server? Is there a way I could achieve the same or similar result without putting my data at risk?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

About how long will a rebuild take on a RAID 5 Synology with 5x3TB drives take? It's mostly full. loving WD Greens....

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
I've been having trouble with my OpenIndiana server flat-out powering off during ZFS scrubs. It's a headless machine so I'm somewhat at a loss if this is a software or hardware issue. It is a sudden power off and not a clean OS shutdown. I doubt anything would be shown if I watched the console. Syslogs are empty.

I first suspected a failing PSU, but swapping out with another didn't resolve the problem. Could this potentially be caused by my M1015 card overheating during heavy I/O activity (it's hot to the touch, but isn't it designed to run fanless)? I'm not sure what/how to narrow this down.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Devian666 posted:

I've been dreading this but I'm getting close to needing a storage server at home. I need a bit of specific feedback.

The N54L looks like a good choice with a 2.2 GHz dual core Neo cpu and enough room for hard drives and safe enough to put 8 gigs of ram in it. I would like to use it to replace my current VM server at home which just runs a few low cpu applications and a minecraft server. Would it be completely horrible trying to run freenas or nas4free as a VM on the server? Is there a way I could achieve the same or similar result without putting my data at risk?

It will be completely horrible. The disks can't be directly accessed without passing a separate HBA card through to the FreeNAS vm, and at that point, why bother with the micro-server. Most of the people I've read about in this thread had a lot of trouble getting it all working.

wang souffle posted:

I've been having trouble with my OpenIndiana server flat-out powering off during ZFS scrubs. It's a headless machine so I'm somewhat at a loss if this is a software or hardware issue. It is a sudden power off and not a clean OS shutdown. I doubt anything would be shown if I watched the console. Syslogs are empty.

I first suspected a failing PSU, but swapping out with another didn't resolve the problem. Could this potentially be caused by my M1015 card overheating during heavy I/O activity (it's hot to the touch, but isn't it designed to run fanless)? I'm not sure what/how to narrow this down.

I had a major issue with my FreeNAS server kernel panicking that would of course cause it's web interface to die. The only way to figure out what was really going on was hooking up a monitor to it :(

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 19, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I did this thing to my server after borrowing a machine with an empty zpool where I could zfs send my stuff, and now I'm running pfsense and freenas on my HP N36L which functions as both fileserver and router for my LAN.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I suspect I would spend too much time tinkering with a configuration like this. Some of my VMs run some messy jobs that need a bit of cpu power so as to not hog system resources. Probably going to stick with my current VM server and just add a microserver for freenas purposes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wang souffle posted:

Could this potentially be caused by my M1015 card overheating during heavy I/O activity (it's hot to the touch, but isn't it designed to run fanless)? I'm not sure what/how to narrow this down.

Fanless, yes - but not in low-airflow cases. The servers that thing is typically installed into have howling loud fans forcing air through them front-to-back at high speed.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fanless, yes - but not in low-airflow cases. The servers that thing is typically installed into have howling loud fans forcing air through them front-to-back at high speed.

That was my thought after posting. I'm going to hook up some additional airflow over the card to see if that helps. The full power loss is still surprising, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

About how long will a rebuild take on a RAID 5 Synology with 5x3TB drives take? It's mostly full. loving WD Greens....

It's been almost 24 hours and it's at 97%, 10648GB used, 336GB available.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

It's been almost 24 hours and it's at 97%, 10648GB used, 336GB available.

That is faster than I would have expected.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Devian666 posted:

If you want to run VMs, might as well pick up a micro-atx case/board/cpu and 32gb memory. Boot ESXi off a thumbdrive. Install an IBM M1015 and pass that through to your FreeNAS/NAS4Free/whatever storage VM.

I went with Mini-ITX for the smaller case and am kicking myself in the rear end now due to 16gb memory capacity. Planning to rebuild/sell my current stuff around black friday.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crashplan question: I'm backing up data from one computer to my server, then have the server configured to send that backup folder to crashplan central. However, crashplan only thinks that folder has ~1KB of data to backup, despite it saying there's 80GB backed up right below in the inbound section.

Both computers are setup using the same crashplan account. Is that the problem? Do I need the family plan to use crashplan like this? Would it work on the non family plan if I created a separate account for the server? Or should it work as is and I just have it configured wrong?

I'm currently on the free trial if that matters.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Splinter posted:

Crashplan question: I'm backing up data from one computer to my server, then have the server configured to send that backup folder to crashplan central. However, crashplan only thinks that folder has ~1KB of data to backup, despite it saying there's 80GB backed up right below in the inbound section.

Both computers are setup using the same crashplan account. Is that the problem? Do I need the family plan to use crashplan like this? Would it work on the non family plan if I created a separate account for the server? Or should it work as is and I just have it configured wrong?

I'm currently on the free trial if that matters.

I'm using the same setup as you with no issues. I have 5 computers backing up to my server, mixed PC and Mac and some offsite even. The server backs up that folder to Crashplan online. All the same account.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any ideas?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splinter posted:

Any ideas?

How often do you have backup frequency set to? Try setting it to something less frequent.

Every once in awhile I have to shut down the crashplan engine, wipe out the cache dir, and the restart it for the same reason.

edit: Wait, I didn't look close enough. I'm not sure what your problem is. Contact Crashplan support. They're helpful.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 21, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, check the regex in the XML files - I wouldn't be shocked if Crashplan's default is to not back up files that look like Crashplan archives? There's a whole set of file exclusions in there you might want to sort through.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively, check the regex in the XML files - I wouldn't be shocked if Crashplan's default is to not back up files that look like Crashplan archives? There's a whole set of file exclusions in there you might want to sort through.
That did the trick. Thanks. There was an exclusion pattern in my.service.xml that seemed to exclude all the extensionless files starting with 'cp' that CrashPlan creates in the backup folder. Strange though that there didn't seem to be a way to include these files via the GUI. Nothing shows up as being excluded when looking at the file name exclusions list in the settings window.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Moey posted:

That is faster than I would have expected.

The replacement drive (in the same slot) already threw an I/O error but it hasn't been marked as bad in SMART yet. Greens :argh:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Splinter posted:

That did the trick. Thanks. There was an exclusion pattern in my.service.xml that seemed to exclude all the extensionless files starting with 'cp' that CrashPlan creates in the backup folder. Strange though that there didn't seem to be a way to include these files via the GUI. Nothing shows up as being excluded when looking at the file name exclusions list in the settings window.

Crashplan really doesn't want you backing up backups because they want to sell you the family plan. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they occasionally checked and terminated accounts that do this. That said, I'm still going to do it. :v:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Thoom posted:

Crashplan really doesn't want you backing up backups because they want to sell you the family plan. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they occasionally checked and terminated accounts that do this. That said, I'm still going to do it. :v:
I'm only actually backing up one computer, but I'm going through my server because I don't want to leave the source computer on 24/7 to upload to Central. Even with the family plan I think would've run into the same issue. Seems like if they built this use case into the program it'd be easier for them to force people into family plans if they're running multiple computers through one up to Central.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Thoom posted:

I've been backing up 2 computers to a NAS, which is then backed up to crashplan for roughly 6 months now and they have never complained.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm just saying it's possible that they'll eventually wise up.

On the subject of CrashPlan, my NAS's backup to their servers is going maddeningly slow (2Mbps). Is there anything I can do to speed that up? At this rate my initial backup is going to take months. So far I've tried increasing the CPU allowance to 80%, but that hasn't helped.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thoom posted:

I'm just saying it's possible that they'll eventually wise up.

On the subject of CrashPlan, my NAS's backup to their servers is going maddeningly slow (2Mbps). Is there anything I can do to speed that up? At this rate my initial backup is going to take months. So far I've tried increasing the CPU allowance to 80%, but that hasn't helped.

What kind of internet access do you have? More specifically, what is your upload speed? 2/20mb is pretty common (upload/download) if you're on cable internet in the USA.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Google Fiber. The bottleneck is definitely not my internet. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crashplan most likely just throttles the hell out of their incoming bandwidth in order to keep their costs down. Their storage isn't going to be built for high performance anyway - just lots and lots of dirt cheap disk.

It probably also helps make the $$$ options to seed the backup by means of a disk look more attractive.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Crashplan claims they do not throttle, and I have seen no evidence of throttling in my usage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thoom posted:

Google Fiber. The bottleneck is definitely not my internet. :)

Switch to BackBlaze they don't throttle :haw:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright alright, I'm inching closer to building a NAS box, but now I have a few hardware and software questions:

Background/goal is to stand up a 4 drive (2TB WD Reds) RAID-Z2 box of some sort.

Should I go with FreeNAS or NAS4Free?
Will I run into any issues with an Ivy Bridge i3 and Z77 board?
Should I pick up an Intel NIC if it isn't integrated?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Bob Morales posted:

Switch to BackBlaze they don't throttle :haw:

That emoticon suggests that you're taking the piss, but I don't know enough about different backup services to get the joke. It's a moot point anyway since Backblaze doesn't do Linux.

DNova posted:

Crashplan claims they do not throttle, and I have seen no evidence of throttling in my usage.

What kind of top speeds have you seen? My absolute highest has been 5Mbps.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Thoom posted:

What kind of top speeds have you seen? My absolute highest has been 5Mbps.

I usually get 8-9mbps from my current home connection (in central europe), and the highest I've noticed is 14mbps I think -- from a higher speed university connection. Once in a while, it will get stuck at like 250-500kbps. I think that's just because it is taking a lovely route. Most of the time, if I pause the backup and then resume it, it shoots back up to normal. My home connection max upstream is 16mbps, for reference. My home connection previously in the US was only 1mbps up and I got around 850-900kbps on that.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
So I got another drive to replace the failed drive in my raidz2 array. I went into the FreeNAS UI, my array is listed as degraded. I went to Volume Status, saw the missing no longer attached disk and selected replace. It offered an option for the newly installed unformated drive, I selected it and hit replace. Then I detached and removed the disconnected disk (it had a long numeric ID)

So now what. My array is still degraded, but it feels like all the drives are spinning like mad and the hard drive led is steady on. Is it rebuilding the array? Is there a way I can tell what it's doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I don't know how to do it from the FreeNAS UI, but "zpool status" (as root) would tell you.

Edit: Don't need to be root. Dur.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 25, 2013