Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I think we can all agree that the FFXIII games so far are collectively a goddamn (literal) trainwreck (literal).

still gonna get lightning returns :unsmigghh:

Yeah, it's like trying to discuss the Star Wars prequels. We know it wasn't planned out in any way, none of the characters act like real people, it's full of pointless fanservice, and it pretends to be far more deep than it actually is.

I'll still buy Lightning Returns, since they seem to have fixed my problems with the battle system, and it will tide me over until XV comes out (I wonder how many more XIII sequels I'll be saying this for...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Corvinus posted:

There's a romhack for FF6 called Brave New World that appears to be fairly well done (it's on my to-play list). Does things like drop the level cap to 50, limit espers so not everyone can learn every spell, and modify each character's special ability to be more distinctive.

Can Gogo get stats, that's pass/fail on me playing this.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I think the underlying disconnect in this 13 discussion is that point A, "it's possible to know what's going on from information provided in the game" is arguing against point B, "this information was not presented in a clear enough manner that the majority - or even a sizable minority - of people playing the game could straightforwardly get what's going on".

Both points, I would allow to be true. The issue is that neither of them negates or really even serves as an effective rebuttal for the other, yet they're being used as counterarguments for each other in spite of that.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Can Gogo get stats, that's pass/fail on me playing this.

The readme is sorta cryptic:

Readme.txt posted:

Gogo, on the other hand, looks downright horrid on paper due to his poo poo stats and (seemingly)
poor equipment options. However, the mysterious pile of rags holds great rewards for the clever
player who takes the time to unlock his true potential. In the original game, Gogo's role was
heavily diminished due to the above-mentioned fact that, by the time you found him, your roster
was already full of faceless Ultima factories. But if we've at all succeeded in our goal to mold
every character into a unique being, each with their own distinct advantages and disadvantages,
then there's tremendous value in someone who can wield any of those advantages at will. In fact,
if not for his abysmal stats, Gogo would be hands-down the absolute best character in the game.
And even with them, he still very well may be.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

SSNeoman posted:

Welcome to Matrix Software games. They're like Idea Factory Jr.
The FFV port was actually pretty good. The enemy "sprites" made up for the lackluster player sprites, and it has content from the GBA games.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Level Slide posted:

I think we can all agree that the FFXIII games so far are collectively a goddamn (literal) trainwreck (literal).

still gonna get lightning returns :unsmigghh:

This I can agree with. I want to see how far the trainwreck goes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vil posted:

I think the underlying disconnect in this 13 discussion is that point A, "it's possible to know what's going on from information provided in the game" is arguing against point B, "this information was not presented in a clear enough manner that the majority - or even a sizable minority - of people playing the game could straightforwardly get what's going on".

Both points, I would allow to be true. The issue is that neither of them negates or really even serves as an effective rebuttal for the other, yet they're being used as counterarguments for each other in spite of that.

I guess my point is that while yes it technically does it exist, it exist in such a way that it might as well not for anyone playing the game. The entire rest of the series's plot makes little to no sense to anyone because no one knows whats going on because the stuff in 13 is so poorly explained, so in practice it doesn't actually matter how man paragraphs of codex explained it because it doesn't exist to basically anyone playing the game. Especially when the argument presented was that it 'totally spelled everything out in 13'.

Which I think is a decent rebuttal to point A.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheEggsBenedict posted:

The FFV port was actually pretty good. The enemy "sprites" made up for the lackluster player sprites, and it has content from the GBA games.

You can't Berserk Shinryu, the iOS version is garbage.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay. I'm the kind of terrible person who actually reads in-game ecyclopedias (though I hate them, they're still there and it ticks my OCD or something) and I do remember them mentioning Etro in XIII's, just not explaining much about what she did other than being a deity and sort-of-good. There was enough to infer that she did, in fact, have something to do with the ending of the game, but to be honest, by the time I got there I'd shut down most attempts to actually comprehend the plot and was just in it for the crazy-rear end final boss designs (which were rad as gently caress, as was Barthadelus' boss forms earlier).

Now knowing that Bhunivelze (which is a stupid-rear end name) was that "Maker" makes it so that XIII-2's story had some kind of connection, which is good, because in playing the game it felt like it had next to none, as does the premise of Lightning Returns.

None of this excuses anything. We've been talking about FF6 here, right? So, we know right from the get-go that if you hosed around with the Goddesss Statues it would not go well for anyone, so when someone did gently caress around with the Goddess Statues, we knew exactly what was happening, we understood that Kefka was doing it precisely to get those results, and there was a keen and effective sense of failure to prevent him from doing so. The motivation to continue was: We hosed up, we can still fight this guy, we've got to get our poo poo together so we can do exactly that. And we did, and everything is good again, yay.

The point of mentioning this is, FF6 explained itself clearly, the FFXIIIs just don't. Obvious part of that is because they completely tacked on the plot of the sequels without having planned any of it in advance, but had they a shred of sense while planning XIII, they could have at least made it so that the heroes' motivation in the final acts was actually clear.

I still liked FFXIII just fine, though it did a poor job of explaining itself. I guess the most frustrating thing is that this whole epic storyline, where there's a sleeping creator god who's sheer force of being would eliminate reality as we know it, lesser deities both for and against its reawakening warring against each other, and their cruel and capricious use of mortal pawns in this struggle resulting in human heroes rising up to assert themselves, could be a really awesome story, except instead it's a clusterfuck.

The White Dragon posted:

strago's in 'cause he's obviously a huge stoner and his theme is clearly supposed to be uematsu's early attempt at reggae

You know, if you changed the key, I think you might actually be on to something, with regards to his theme. Now that's going to be impossible to unhear. :psyduck:

For the record, my favorite party was Terra, Celes, Setzer, and Mog. Terra and Celes were (the way I leveled them) completely broken. Terra was the Ultima-bomber, Celes the Atma Weapon spammer, Setzer was just the coolest drat dude in town to my 12-year-old self, and Mog because I actually learned the Water Rondo and found using it hilarious.

And my Chrono Trigger party of choice was Frog, Magus, and Ayla. Because the first two wanted to kill each other, and the third had expressed interest in eating them both.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 19, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope someone in Lightning Returns starts reading out of a giant fuckoff encyclopedia only for Lightning to clock that rear end in a top hat mid-sentence. FFXIII-2 was deficient in Claire punching people.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lighting walks up and just decks someone in the most recent trailer.

It's awesome.

If the old Squaresoft were working on the XIIIs, remember how it was "press square to start card game"? This time it'd have been "press square to punch in jaw".

Lightning ain't gotta take no poo poo.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

alcharagia posted:

Yes, you can. The bullshit changes were that you can't Sing Omega into paralysis and that Omniscient can cast Return while Berserked. I think at least one of these was fixed in a later patch.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ProfessorProf posted:

Yes, you can. The bullshit changes were that you can't Sing Omega into paralysis and that Omniscient can cast Return while Berserked. I think at least one of these was fixed in a later patch.

Oh right that was it, I remembered you definitely couldn't do Omega the easy way and I guess my brain just lump-summed it because I haven't slept in ages. Whoops. :downs:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

God drat it, of course BTB added swearing to FFVI. I shouldn't have expected anything else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

God drat it, of course BTB added swearing to FFVI. I shouldn't have expected anything else.

Hey man it's a fangame/edit something about it has to be horribly terrible.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I didn't read the datalog in 13 and I completely misunderstood what happened at the end but then 13-2 explained it in great detail and I was like "oops, oh well". It was obviously not a very well told story but it's clear enough now, I just don't think it's worth dwelling on so much at this point.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mazed posted:

Lighting walks up and just decks someone in the most recent trailer.

It's awesome.

And then steals their soul or something? I don't know.

I also liked how in the trailer, when Noel leaps at her she just sort of lazily slaps his sword to the side. If she's supposed to be practically a god now we need to see more of that. Especially super power fights between her and Evil Snow.

But mostly I just want to know what Sazh has been up to.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

chumbler posted:

More gambling.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Phantasium posted:

Yeahhh that's so stupid I've just lost any interest in it.

Edit: And it has stupid "makes sense" design too without any thought on what makes a a game fun.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 19, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

chumbler posted:

And then steals their soul or something? I don't know.

I also liked how in the trailer, when Noel leaps at her she just sort of lazily slaps his sword to the side. If she's supposed to be practically a god now we need to see more of that. Especially super power fights between her and Evil Snow.

Dajh is all growed up, and he's gotten himself into all sorts of hijinx. It's up to Sazh the Dad to save him!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Dajh is all growed up, and he's gotten himself into all sorts of hijinx. It's up to Sazh the Dad to save him!

FF13-2 should have been set 17 years after 13 with Adult Dajh and Snow Jr. as time cops. Throw in The child/reincarnation/whatever of Fang and Vanille as their backup and it would have been great.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think FF13 is another example of Square's cargo cult mentality w/r/t successful Western games. They saw the Datalog and thought "oh we can use this to throw all our backstory in too!" But whereas ME used it to explain how guns and spaceships work or how turians society is arranged, FF13 used it for key information. I guess it's like if nobody in ME1 ever mentioned protheans at any point, everything would seem like a complete mess. And that's FF13.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I think FF13 is another example of Square's cargo cult mentality w/r/t successful Western games. They saw the Datalog and thought "oh we can use this to throw all our backstory in too!" But whereas ME used it to explain how guns and spaceships work or how turians society is arranged, FF13 used it for key information. I guess it's like if nobody in ME1 ever mentioned protheans at any point, everything would seem like a complete mess. And that's FF13.

ME gets it right because you only get codex entries after someone explains/talks about something and then the codex just expands on it. "Yeah protheans were the guys who built all these ancient alien poo poo 50,000 years ago" *Prothean data in Codex updated*

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I must be the only guy who liked Serah/Snow, and was disappointed that even Square-Enix had absolutely no interest in the two. And I HATE Fabulous Prissy Latinis and just about everything in it except Sazh. And now Snow is evil, because gently caress. This is going to be more of the same drat "nobody ever just talks about the problem".

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Wait, what are they changing with the battle system for Lightning Returns? I've been totally ignoring it since I loathed XIII and XIII-2 managed to get even sillier and stupider, but the battle system had the makings of something that could potentially be good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

Wait, what are they changing with the battle system for Lightning Returns? I've been totally ignoring it since I loathed XIII and XIII-2 managed to get even sillier and stupider, but the battle system had the makings of something that could potentially be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9H2nGm-lw&t=182s

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

alcharagia posted:

Most of those bugs have since been fixed.

Where is it on Android, Square. :cry:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gologle posted:

I must be the only guy who liked Serah/Snow, and was disappointed that even Square-Enix had absolutely no interest in the two. And I HATE Fabulous Prissy Latinis and just about everything in it except Sazh. And now Snow is evil, because gently caress. This is going to be more of the same drat "nobody ever just talks about the problem".

It always struck me as bizarre how their relationship was portrayed. They're engaged and when they finally meet up after six months or whatever they seem... pleasantly surprised? Like when I run into someone I went to high school with.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

TheEggsBenedict posted:

alcharagia posted:

You can now, they fixed that in a recent update. The major remaining problem with that port is that walking around is a goddamn hassle due to having full analog motion on a tile based map so you get stuck on doors and poo poo.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Corvinus posted:

There's a romhack for FF6 called Brave New World that appears to be fairly well done (it's on my to-play list). Does things like drop the level cap to 50, limit espers so not everyone can learn every spell, and modify each character's special ability to be more distinctive.

It, um... It appears that the program he suggests to amend your ROM file is a .exe file. I'm on mac, and can't run it, after I got all excited to try it. I don't suppose it would be against the rules to ask where I might find an already modified rom, would it?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Ignite Memories posted:

It, um... It appears that the program he suggests to amend your ROM file is a .exe file. I'm on mac, and can't run it, after I got all excited to try it. I don't suppose it would be against the rules to ask where I might find an already modified rom, would it?

Is there a .ips file in the archive?

http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html This should help you out.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kyrosiris posted:

Most of those bugs have since been fixed.

Where is it on Android, Square. :cry:

We just got FFIV last month or so, it'll come... eventually!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dross posted:

Is there a .ips file in the archive?

http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html This should help you out.

Oh hey, thanks buddy.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Gotta say I am digging this Lightning Returns track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9g2FFRhI_8

It's a Suzuki + Hamauzu combined track, and you can tell with the fast percussion coupled with violin solos. Love the focus on electric guitar licks this time around.

They are definitely going all out with goodness with this soundtrack.

We've got some tracks from the Pre soundtrack just released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD2kZ_LQspg - Possibly the Dead Dunes theme? Tropical, with a nice bass clarinet. A little jazzy. Then we got some nice violin coming in towards the end. Kind of sounds like a track from Shadow Hearts: From the New World, to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9m72oQYog - A vocal track... with a male voice this time? Definitely digging the drum beat, and the vocals aren't that grating. More soft bass clarinet, kind of gets a bit smooth jazz-y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nCUgNYmcIw - Very somber track with a choir backing it. I could imagine this coupled with Caius' return.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 19, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Given the different outfits let you use different abilities, I wonder if you'll be able to play through the game without having to use the skeevy fanservice armours all the time. I mean its not a deal-breaker if I can't or anything but if I can, I probably will.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
No, the most powerful outfit is a black two piece bikini that barely covers the areolas and exposes tons of rear end and grants Auto Haste, Auto Bravery, Auto Faith, and applies a special Slow, Poison, and Blind status to enemies that cannot be resisted.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gologle posted:

No, the most powerful outfit is a black two piece bikini that barely covers the areolas and exposes tons of rear end and grants Auto Haste, Auto Bravery, Auto Faith, and applies a special Slow, Poison, and Blind status to enemies that cannot be resisted.

Whoah there champ. This is FFXIII you know. Those effects will only last for 3 turns before you need to manually reapply them.
Or did SE finally get their heads out of their asses and put some proper Ribbons into the loving game? By the end of the game, you should have at least a few items that grant powerful effects like permanent Protect or permanent Regen. FFXIII doesn't subscribe to this philosophy and I like it a lot less for that.

Seriously, the items in FFXIII loving suck. Except for grow egg and the things that give instant stagger.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 19, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Defiance Industries posted:

It always struck me as bizarre how their relationship was portrayed. They're engaged and when they finally meet up after six months or whatever they seem... pleasantly surprised? Like when I run into someone I went to high school with.

I guess when Serah became a PC, S-E decided that if they were actually acting like they're engaged it would upset the the creepy otakus and shippers.
It makes every scene with those two hilarious. The biggest laugh I got out of FFXIII-2 was when Serah explained why Snow wasn't around in the beginning.
Something like:

*Snow gives Serah his amulet*
(Snow) -Here, hang on to this for a while. When I get back, I'll have Lightning with me! Then she has to give us her blessing!
(Serah narrating) -And that was the last time I saw Snow.

It's just such a Snow thing to do. He believes in Serah's crazy story unconditionally, decides to do everything in his power to help her,
and still only manages to make her more miserable.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I didn't know there was a gameplay trailer of FFXV, so I watched and it indeed looks gorgeous, but for God's sake that ANIME HAIR. It's really not even hair, it's these segments and pieces of some CGI-substance flailing and waing around, it sticks out like a sore thumb and looks goofy. The hair in MGSV trailer wasn't as bad, but it still looked a bit weird, it's way too shiny and it kinda.. glows? I don't know. I understand that in anime and last generation of games you had to distinguish characters from eatch other a lot of times by their hair and clothing, but now when ther graphics are good enough to actually give different facial feautures to everybody, you don't need cartoon logic anymore.

But then again it really isn't even "anime" anymore, now it's popstar hair. Pretty close where my parents live lives a couple of burmese families and one day I saw a 14-year old burmese kid with exact replica of Cloud's hair, blonde and all. That poo poo didn't flail around, it was made of goddamn concrete.

I'd take Shepard's military haircut instead on asian idol-throwups every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SSNeoman posted:

Whoah there champ. This is FFXIII you know. Those effects will only last for 3 turns before you need to manually reapply them.
Or did SE finally get their heads out of their asses and put some proper Ribbons into the loving game? By the end of the game, you should have at least a few items that grant powerful effects like permanent Protect or permanent Regen. FFXIII doesn't subscribe to this philosophy and I like it a lot less for that.

Seriously, the items in FFXIII loving suck. Except for grow egg and the things that give instant stagger.

Considering the lack of MP, having items in the game felt really out of place to begin with, so it didn't bother me that they were useless. The only ones I ever used were Librascopes.