Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I kind of like this game but I'm such garbage at it. Id like to blame the occasional stuttering and latency issues I get but it's mostly that I am bad.

Also I keep trying to heavy crossbow snipe since nailing folk with a big fuckoff bolt is such a great feeling but it's such a pain. Long range and you have to deal with the slow projectile speed combined with erratic movements in your target. Short range and you get run down and everyone knows how to goddamn serpentine.

I'm trash at all melee weapons too. I get rocked with huge axes so I go play with huge axes, and then some rear end in a top hat just kites and punches me to death. It's probably more I keep wanting to charge ahead all the time and then I get rocked by three knaves.

I think my yelling ability is garbage too but it's hard to tell between the dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cass posted:

There's less room for error when using a MAA, especially now with the hits the dodge move has taken, but they're still very viable. That said even though I constantly come top 3 my K/D ratio would probably be better if I was using another class. Just can't bring myself to switch to some lardass, I like the fast footwork far too much.
Yeah don't get me wrong you can be a solid contender as an MaA even when the Lag Gods are displeased, you really should not be under 1:1 K/D even with all the problems. But the fact of the matter is that if you're decent with MaA and can get, say, 1.5/1 K/D, you could probably get 2.5/1 if you played a Knight or Vanguard. It's just the way the game is right now. The MaA has not been thought through very well and he doesn't really have a place on the battlefield where one of the other classes wouldn't do his job better.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong you can be a solid contender as an MaA even when the Lag Gods are displeased, you really should not be under 1:1 K/D even with all the problems. But the fact of the matter is that if you're decent with MaA and can get, say, 1.5/1 K/D, you could probably get 2.5/1 if you played a Knight or Vanguard. It's just the way the game is right now. The MaA has not been thought through very well and he doesn't really have a place on the battlefield where one of the other classes wouldn't do his job better.

If you really want to get into this, the Knight got nerfed big time alongside the MaA in the last huge patch.

There wasn't much discussion about it here, but generally fighting up close got worse by like 4-5 mechanic changes. Also, the Knight's best Generic Weapons, longsword and sword of war, got nerfed.

The archer and the VG both got big buffs in weapons and in the general mechanics changes.

The game got "dumbed-down" alot in the CU1P2 patch. If you are new to the game you may have not noticed much other than the game being easier or one weapon or another being stronger. Basically everything got changed, some of them giant changes in the way the game was played. The individual weapon nerfs/buffs are pretty insignificant compared to the mechanics changes.

edit- http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14801

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

40 OZ posted:

If you really want to get into this, the Knight got nerfed big time alongside the MaA in the last huge patch.
Yeah he did, but at least the Knight still has a big shield and loads of health, so there are situations where you would legitimately want to be a Knight over the official forums' darling firstborn child, the Vanguard. I can't say as much for the redheaded stepchild, the MaA.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

That was weird. I was on a server called Paramount Gaming where there was a guy running around faster, swinging faster, and swinging in a way wider arc than I've seen before. I tried to kick him and the admin said it's a VIP perk you can buy for $15?!

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Coolguye posted:

Let's be clear: The MaA is the most fun class, but he's hands down the weakest, dudes.

I disagree with a lot of what you are saying. MAA was absolute trash for a bit during one of the patches where latency and delayed vanguard swings were REALLY bad and common, but now I find him to be just fine. Though, that's for myself, since I enjoy MAA the most and consider him maybe my best class. He's still, by far, the most susceptible to a vanguard who lags or has the luck of the "my weapon goes through shields" bug on his side, but he is by no means whatsoever outclassed in all regards.

His speed lets him run down archers like a motherfucker, as well as take advantage of anyone's mistakes. I can't take on more than 2-3 people at a time effectively with any other class like I can with the MAA, because an MAA can dodge to the side and get enemies to hit each other more easily than any of the slower classes.

MAA definitely has the highest skill ceiling, and you need to be pretty much near the top of that ceiling for it to be a class worth playing. But I'd say that in a fight between a master knight/VG/MAA/archer, the MAA will win a majority of the fights simply because he can control the fight by making use of his speed more than any other class. it really comes down to personal preference of playstyle, really. I can play any of the classes and top the scoreboard for the whole server pretty consistently, but I definitely need to play to my strengths for each class, and a lot of people don't understand a classes strengths. The MAA just happens to be the class that you NEED to understand all of the game mechanics in order to flourish.

I do agree that way too many people play MAA expecting to be able to be super dodging ninjas, though, and end up just being buttfucked by whirlwinding vanguards, when they could be much more effective as another class. But I definitely play my best as an MAA.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Comrade Flynn posted:

That was weird. I was on a server called Paramount Gaming where there was a guy running around faster, swinging faster, and swinging in a way wider arc than I've seen before. I tried to kick him and the admin said it's a VIP perk you can buy for $15?!

You're being trolled, just pick another server to play in.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yep, after a few months away, being an Archer on a deathmatch server is still kick worthy, even if you don't even win. Admin was even in first place two games straight.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I actually think I prefer the changes made to the MaA, considering I only ever really used dodge as a panic button. The movement speed increases are fantastic for getting behind someone for the finishing blow immediately after you've hit them in the face.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I kind of like this game but I'm such garbage at it. Id like to blame the occasional stuttering and latency issues I get but it's mostly that I am bad.

Also I keep trying to heavy crossbow snipe since nailing folk with a big fuckoff bolt is such a great feeling but it's such a pain. Long range and you have to deal with the slow projectile speed combined with erratic movements in your target. Short range and you get run down and everyone knows how to goddamn serpentine.

I'm trash at all melee weapons too. I get rocked with huge axes so I go play with huge axes, and then some rear end in a top hat just kites and punches me to death. It's probably more I keep wanting to charge ahead all the time and then I get rocked by three knaves.

I think my yelling ability is garbage too but it's hard to tell between the dying.

If you like the insta-killiness of the crossbow, give the javelins a whirl too. A throw to the chest from a running start will kill a Vanguard and anything lighter in one hit, and a headshot will take out knights as well. You can freely move around with a throw readied and don't need to reload, so you can generally quickly dart in and out of range. Should you get caught in melee you can just keep stabbing away which often turns out to be surprisingly effective.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is the Warbow, much slower draw but more powerful shots. When you kill someone with a bow then the number covering it on the inventory screen (the number of kills you need) should go down. If it doesn't then that means that the server you are on is not tracking kills and you have to go murder on another server that does. Probably official servers

E. Also, had a goon recognize me in a server last night from my posting in the thread. I felt like the best poster :3:

VVVVVV That very well may be true and would certainly explain why I find parrying so much more effective than shields for blocking blows. But there still is at least some direction requirement for it, since you still do need to block near the tip or it will swing through still. The guys blocking from behind probably got lucky and the hit box (block box?) was up and to the side enough to catch the very edge of the attack

Actually I recognized you from some other thread(I forget which), your avatar kind of sticks out. :v:

I really fuckin love the spear on the vanguard. Poking is the best, and it has to be so annoying for the enemies. It is consistently my best weapon. What's the highest level spear do anyway?

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
MaA is fine this patch. It's just that dodge got nerfed terribly and the speed buff isn't that useful in combat. The broadsword is the new overpowered weapon to use.

I don't get the complaints about lag. As long as your ping is below 50 and most other people are in that range you'll have no issues with lag.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

I don't get the complaints about lag. As long as your ping is below 50 and most other people are in that range you'll have no issues with lag.

God living in Hawaii can suck. The lowest ping I'll ever get is mid 80s, with a bad day being 120 to 130.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

:wtc: You guys think 120-130 is bad? I'm from Greece, my ping being around 100-130 is pretty much the average good ping I get.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
My ping has been between 4 and 30 on any server i have been on which surprises me greatly

Is there anywhere i can see the unlockable weapons?

Someone upthread said the doubleheaded axe was terrible but i find it pretty easy to use i unlocked the poleaxe after like 3 games which is even better, i saw some guy get like 30-6 with DH-Axe multiple matches in a row

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barent posted:

Actually I recognized you from some other thread(I forget which), your avatar kind of sticks out. :v:

I really fuckin love the spear on the vanguard. Poking is the best, and it has to be so annoying for the enemies. It is consistently my best weapon. What's the highest level spear do anyway?
Yeah, I love the vanguard for the pole-weapons, not for the windmill swords. Spear, halberd, guisarme, they're all kickass, flexible weapons that work great on a lot of people, plus Vans are kind of better archer-hunters than MaAs, it seems. The highest spear is the brandistock, and seems to give more reach and damage in return for a slower attack.

edit: Not sure, though, I'm only just now getting back into this game and I am definitely not good at it yet.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

:colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I generally have unusually high ping (100+) on a lot of servers. There are some with decent population and low ping, but they are all the TDM servers. Apparently objective maps are high long by nature.

Also, browsing through the servers I hit on an objective server with low ping! The title was "Reddit vs Kotaku". Oh god.

So I hopped in and showed them their folly with the end of my flail. It was everything I expected out of the server (aka a shithole with people bitching constantly and calling. each other fags)

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Your first mistake was playing a 64 player server. I average 50-100 ping up to 32 players, beyond that, I'm hovering around 150-200.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was on a server where everyone had 300+ ping. I had moments where standing and LMB resulted in killing people with each swing.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Barent posted:

What's the highest level spear do anyway?

The brandistock has such a slow attack that anybody who knows what they're doing will parry it if they see it coming. To be really effective, you need to run and dance constantly, and never, ever get bogged down in a straight up fight. Stay near teammates and run up and poke enemies while they're distracted. It's really easy to just run up to you and start slashing so that you get no chance to counterattack, so the tactics that keep you alive while using spears are even more important.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Elth posted:

The brandistock has such a slow attack that anybody who knows what they're doing will parry it if they see it coming. To be really effective, you need to run and dance constantly, and never, ever get bogged down in a straight up fight. Stay near teammates and run up and poke enemies while they're distracted. It's really easy to just run up to you and start slashing so that you get no chance to counterattack, so the tactics that keep you alive while using spears are even more important.

I see it more as a situational weapon, depending on the map. If it's one of the Beaches of Normandy style maps where you have to charge into the enemies, it's not as great. But for maps like the bomb cart/battering ram pushing objectives, it's great because it is all team fights and people aren't playing attention.

It turns the Vanguard into the Slow MAA, in the same vein as the Fat Scout

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I've always been partial to the good old hatchet myself. It has absolutely no reach and requires some getting used to, but its speed and power are terrifying.

Derp. I played again this morning, and hatchet was what I meant.

Speaking of this morning, I tried Archer for the second time ever and got 8 kills in one life with the dagger. Backstabs on crowded objective maps own. This is the game that keeps on giving.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Is there still a goon server for this? I started playing multiplayer games again and wanted to yell while running with goons :allears:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Bovineicide posted:

Is there still a goon server for this? I started playing multiplayer games again and wanted to yell while running with goons :allears:

There is a thread listed in the private server board, but the server given is not online, and the mumble server appears to be abandoned.

Here is the thread in question.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Okay, what advantage does the MAA actually have? I die in two hits and take like 6 to kill people, the sideways dodge requires you to dodge while someone can still track you with a stab or overhead, and unlike the archer you don't get a nice backstab bonus in melee. And, as a vanguard or jav archer, I can flank and stab pretty well or assist with spears, but the MAA has to get so close to do anything that I'm liable to get teamkilled if I try to help out.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Deofuta posted:

There is a thread listed in the private server board, but the server given is not online, and the mumble server appears to be abandoned.

Here is the thread in question.

That's what I mean. I didn't check the mumble yet, but the server threads are either in archives or the server is offline :(

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Okay, what advantage does the MAA actually have? I die in two hits and take like 6 to kill people, the sideways dodge requires you to dodge while someone can still track you with a stab or overhead, and unlike the archer you don't get a nice backstab bonus in melee. And, as a vanguard or jav archer, I can flank and stab pretty well or assist with spears, but the MAA has to get so close to do anything that I'm liable to get teamkilled if I try to help out.

You're incredibly fast, mostly. You can walk into range, land a hit, and dodge out of range again in the time it takes a knight to wind up a single strike. In one on one you can basically completely dictate the flow of the fight, since you can engage and disengage at will. Even against several people it's surprisingly easy to maneuver in such a way that they only get in each other's way.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ravenfood posted:

I learned to appreciate the MAA by playing the Knight, actually. Spend some time as a Knight with Flails or the Warhammer. They do ridiculous damage (and the Flails are hard as poo poo to block), but you have to in someone's face to make it work. The Knight is stuck trudging up to enemies slowly, so typically you lose the surprise advantage and some of your health advantage in the approach. Once I went from that to MAA with the Hatchet, I realized I could win a lot of fights before they even start, by running up behind people or dashing into their faces. The speed advantage is huge, especially in opening a fight.

MAAs are meant to dominate in 1-on-1 fights, and escape less favorable odds. If you want to contribute to big team fights, use your speed to flank around the battle and come up behind the enemy. That will save you from getting TKed or one-shotted by Vanguard cuisinarts. Better yet, ignore the fight entirely and engage enemy reinforcements 1-on-1. You'll get kills and improve your allies' odds of survival.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Perestroika posted:

You're incredibly fast, mostly. You can walk into range, land a hit, and dodge out of range again in the time it takes a knight to wind up a single strike. In one on one you can basically completely dictate the flow of the fight, since you can engage and disengage at will. Even against several people it's surprisingly easy to maneuver in such a way that they only get in each other's way.

The MAA is all about speed and also has some special weapons that strike really fast. This means you can strike lock the stronger classes and also run around at lightning speeds quickly killing off archers.

Also has the most annoying taunts in the game.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I see it more as a situational weapon

The Brandistock is the best weapon in the game.

The "overhead" stab does 95 damage, and the slash is as fast as the broadsword's. The overhead will 2 shot any class and the slash will 3 shot any class. The stab is faster than the LS and does 1 less damage.

It does all of this with the tremendous reach of a spear-class weapon. Also it's attacks are all Pierce and Blunt damage which is basically just better, because the classes with high HP take more damage from these.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 19, 2013

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The first time i unlocked the Brandistook I went something like 30-9. It really is one of the best weapons, and a mite overpowered. It isn't situational because there is tremendous variability in its moveset. Walking back and using 'overhead' gets more people than I can count, and regularly spears 2 people at once for absurd damage and range. People in your face? Surprise them by not winding up a long spear attack, but a ludicrously fast and high damaging slash. Mid range and want to mix it up? Use the stab. All these swings are such different timings that people often have a great deal of trouble parrying it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think they need to make the goals in objective modes a little more clear. My team got the mission to burn down the surrounding farmlands, which seemed pretty simple. There were two areas we needed to burn with torches inside them, so it basically amounted to assaulting two areas. However, 6 minutes later and nobody is quite sure why we haven't completed it yet. The Agarthans believed that we had burned all the stuff in one area so they had completely surrounded the other torch bonfire. Nobody could even pick one up, and since it doesn't tell you what to burn until you get a torch everyone kept charging that one bonfire assuming it was our goal.

Turns out we had actually burned everything by that bonfire and the Argathans were defending nothing. I finally got my hands on a torch and the objective led me away from the horde of soldiers to the abandoned second position were I set fire to a single market place and completed the objective. It wasn't defended at all. Literally nobody but me knew that everyone was in the wrong place.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sniping the king in the head with a crossbow is strangely satisfying

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
One of the most important things to do as an MAA is to just run the gently caress away sometimes. Just don't do it in a straight line cause the chase mechanic will get you killed. I played a little bit thus morning before work and drat, the broad sword is probably the best MAA weapon by a long shot. I fully expect it to be nerfed soon thanks to the whining vanguard community not killing everything easily enough.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 19, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

This is just anecdotal, but it feels like the MaA won't be caught up to by the chase mechanic, unless it's another MaA doing the chasing. I have never been caught up to if I just decide to haul rear end.

Also, the best part about this patch is that you can finally loving save browser details. Goddamn that was annoying.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 19, 2013

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Having bought this in the Steam sale, I have now managed to punch a vanguard to death by kicking him into a confined space and giving him a leisurely beatdown while he repeatedly rattled his zweihander off the wall. I kinda feel like I can retire now, y'know? I've done it. I've Done It.

Bloodloss
Nov 6, 2007

Bloody fucking blood fuck.
I got this yesterday and started playing. First impressions are good. It's really fun, brutal and chaotic.

It's starting to grate to some extent though. It may just be because I'm new and have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm not sure how to be 'good' and reliably win; fights seem too unpredictable in that I have no way of knowing if I'm going to be able to block the attack despite aiming at it etc. Most of the time I get destroyed and have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've been playing duel mode to practise 1 on 1 fighting, and the top players always seem to be 'facehugging' MaAs, and I play vs them and spectate them in utter bewilderment - all their attacks seem to magically go through the blocks of everyone and the fight is over in seconds, usually resulting in them being 10-0. Apparently face-hugging and MaAs got nerfed in the latest patch? I can't imagine how powerful this strategy must've been before! I've tried it myself and it goes okay but nowhere near as well as it does for them; my attacks actually get blocked.

Are there any good streamers or YouTubers who are really good at the game? Preferably ones who explain their actions and talk about the game in depth. I didn't find the basic/advanced combat tutorial videos particularly helpful.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

This is just anecdotal, but it feels like the MaA won't be caught up to by the chase mechanic, unless it's another MaA doing the chasing. I have never been caught up to if I just decide to haul rear end.

It's kinda true, if they dint give chase immediately, you stand a pretty good chance if getting away.I'm really glad they made it so the chase mechanic only works from the back. If you're clever you can turn enough while running to keep them from catching you. The buff to the MAA speed is probably the only good thing they've done for the class in some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
The thing to keep in mind is that you actually have to aim your weapon beyond just "hit them with the reticule". A lot of the time it involves starting your attack from a position so it goes through faster, slower, or hits over/under their block.

In fact, knowing how to break through blocks is the only way to play with the Maul beyond "feinting idiots".

• Locked thread