Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My first would be a bad motherboard, or maybe it's just shifted over just enough where the case blocks the USB drive from making a good connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Are the ports on both sides bad? Usually one side's ports are on a small board connected to the motherboard by a small cable and the other's are direct mounted on the motherboard. If it's just one side and it is the IO board side it might be a simpler cheaper fix.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for the response. Good to know in advance of getting a new MacBook and doing all that setup. I had been considering getting one of the two just for convenience factor but a big chunk of my mandated Windows use will probably end up being for Steam games, so I'll stick with my previous Boot Camping ways.

There are games that are coded for Mac also. I just got my iMac and am using OSX for those that are and then bootcamp for those that are not.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for the response. Good to know in advance of getting a new MacBook and doing all that setup. I had been considering getting one of the two just for convenience factor but a big chunk of my mandated Windows use will probably end up being for Steam games, so I'll stick with my previous Boot Camping ways.

Well the awesome think with the SSDs is you can boot between the two super quickly. The only big advantage of W8 is forced hybrid mode (although it takes an extra 6gb or so) that will speed up boot times. You can boot from one to the other in about a minute which makes booting between pretty painless. Never less you might just end up Windows constantly.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TraderStav posted:

There are games that are coded for Mac also. I just got my iMac and am using OSX for those that are and then bootcamp for those that are not.
Granted, and I'll use OSX Steam (or GoG) where possible but there's always going to be some Windows-only stuff worth playing. For some reason I just thought Boot Camp was worse than VMs for gaming perhaps because it's free.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Many games coded for OSX just run like crap compared to bootcamp unfortunately. SC2, Borderlands and Bastion all ran horribly on OSX and great on bootcamp.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stick100 posted:

Well the awesome think with the SSDs is you can boot between the two super quickly. The only big advantage of W8 is forced hybrid mode (although it takes an extra 6gb or so) that will speed up boot times. You can boot from one to the other in about a minute which makes booting between pretty painless. Never less you might just end up Windows constantly.
When I was using my MacBook Air I found dual-booting to be okay at first but then it just became something i didn't bother doing if not 100% necessary.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Granted, and I'll use OSX Steam (or GoG) where possible but there's always going to be some Windows-only stuff worth playing. For some reason I just thought Boot Camp was worse than VMs for gaming perhaps because it's free.

Bootcamp reboots the computer into windows. Since the Mac hardware is x86 its just like running a kick rear end Windows Machine. It will always be the best for video games, but I've had some pretty good luck with Fusion playing games pretty well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Stick100 posted:

Many games coded for OSX just run like crap compared to bootcamp unfortunately. SC2, Borderlands and Bastion all ran horribly on OSX and great on bootcamp.

That's upsetting, really hoping to play BL2 in OSX. Here's hoping you have an old PowerPC and my new i5 2.7 will rock.

yes, i know it's code and not power!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stick100 posted:

Probably because most ports are just using Wine/Cider wrappers.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No clue. I haven't kept up on recent Parallels vs. Fusion performance reviews. Ars usually does a good one every year.

For general computing poo poo you won't really notice much of a difference, but in benchmarks Parallels has been faster than Fusion for a few versions now. The Fusion Tech Preview is actually pretty comparable to Parallels 8 on my MBA but it's still in beta and I haven't tried running any games under either of them for obvious reasons.

Probably because most ports are just using Wine/Cider wrappers.

BL2 is a native port and it still runs like poo poo (~45-60 FPS) on hardware that easily maintains at least 80 FPS under Windows. I don't know if this has to do with it being a bad port, OS X's OpenGL implementation or if it's just bad drivers (or a combination of all of these), but there's definitely a performance deficit in gaming under OS X. NVIDIA actually released their own drivers for OS X (that has its own updater built in!) a while back, but I didn't really notice any performance improvements by using them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cyne posted:

So a couple weeks back my MBP took a spill off my bed and the USB ports have been essentially non-functional since. The symptoms are actually kind of interesting - sticking a flash drive in one of the ports will power on the activity light but the drive will never mount, while the other port seems completely dead until I physically hold the drive down slightly at which point it powers on and mounts just fine. Removing any pressure at all from the drive will instantly unmount it so this is obviously not any kind of long term solution, but it does lead me to believe that this is something fixable with a reasonable amount of time and expense.

My local Mac repair shop wants about a hundred dollars an hour for repairs, so I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and can provide a rough estimate of how much I can expect to be forking over for this. I'm guessing this is not something I should attempt to repair myself, but depending on how much I would be in this for...

Thanks guys!

The D+ and/or D- pins are probably broken where the USB connector meets the motherboard. It's a quick solder job, the challenge (maybe) will be finding the proper jacks; I don't recall what they used off-hand in terms of SMT vs Through-hole or what vendor (probably FCI or someone).

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

teagone posted:

Has the magnet on that ever messed around with the magnets in the Air that make it wake/sleep? Or is that not possible? Really love the look/function of that sleeve.

[edit]

Also, if you pick up that sleeve the side where you put the Air in, are the magnets strong enough to keep it inside? Or does it fall right out?

I haven't noticed any issues but I have read that it can cause havoc if you rest the Air on top of the case for extended period of time. Mine doesn't fall out, but I usually carry it opening side up anyways.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
I'm in the market for a loaded MacBookPro-- I do HD (and increasingly 2K and 4K) video editing on a self-built Windows desktop at the moment and would like to take that on the road sometimes. Have my eye on the 15" Retina MBP with 2.7ghz i7/16GB RAM/512GB SSD. I know the Haswell model is probably coming out in a couple months but the rumors are that it won't have a discrete GPU option. I'm not sold on the idea the Intel 5200 integrated GPU beats the Nvidia 650 in the current ones, and I don't care about battery life, 7 hours is enough for me.

Anyway my question is if anyone has studied how prices fluctuate when new models are released. I don't need this laptop for a few months. With my edu discount I can get this config from Apple for $2599. That's pushing the limit of doable for me, I'd prefer to spend less if possible. And I figure that option, for this config, goes away the day the new models are released.

I'm seeing them on eBay in the $2200 to 2300 range with a only few weeks of use, less than 20 charge cycles (like the person just bought it for a project and is selling it to recoup the money). Some are even new in box. I guess my hesitation is should I buy now, or wait till new ones come out?

I feel like you'd expect the price on the last-gen model to drop, but people will be "churning" the newest/best models at that point and availability will go down. And maybe the discrete GPU will become a sought-after feature.

Besides eBay, does Apple ever discount old stock when new models are released? Maybe some luck in the refurb section? I joined SA after reading the P-p-p-PowerBook thread, so I'd rather err on the side of caution and skip eBay. Sounds like one of those things, cheap/powerful/not a scam, pick 2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bikeage posted:

Besides eBay, does Apple ever discount old stock when new models are released? Maybe some luck in the refurb section? I joined SA after reading the P-p-p-PowerBook thread, so I'd rather err on the side of caution and skip eBay. Sounds like one of those things, cheap/powerful/not a scam, pick 2.

Yes but often the pricing can be hit/miss.

If you are paranoid places such as Amazon offer less buyer beware for used models.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

etalian posted:

Yes but often the pricing can be hit/miss.

If you are paranoid places such as Amazon offer less buyer beware for used models.

That and some dick would not have received a P-p-p-p-ower book if he wasn't trying to scam the person.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bikeage posted:

I'm in the market for a loaded MacBookPro-- I do HD (and increasingly 2K and 4K) video editing on a self-built Windows desktop at the moment and would like to take that on the road sometimes. Have my eye on the 15" Retina MBP with 2.7ghz i7/16GB RAM/512GB SSD. I know the Haswell model is probably coming out in a couple months but the rumors are that it won't have a discrete GPU option. I'm not sold on the idea the Intel 5200 integrated GPU beats the Nvidia 650 in the current ones, and I don't care about battery life, 7 hours is enough for me.

Anyway my question is if anyone has studied how prices fluctuate when new models are released. I don't need this laptop for a few months. With my edu discount I can get this config from Apple for $2599. That's pushing the limit of doable for me, I'd prefer to spend less if possible. And I figure that option, for this config, goes away the day the new models are released.

I'm seeing them on eBay in the $2200 to 2300 range with a only few weeks of use, less than 20 charge cycles (like the person just bought it for a project and is selling it to recoup the money). Some are even new in box. I guess my hesitation is should I buy now, or wait till new ones come out?

I feel like you'd expect the price on the last-gen model to drop, but people will be "churning" the newest/best models at that point and availability will go down. And maybe the discrete GPU will become a sought-after feature.

I'd say go with a refurb model. They come with the same warranty as a new one and I'm pretty sure you can buy AppleCare for them. There aren't any retina models on the US refurb store right now but there are some in the AU store and it looks like they're roughly 20% cheaper than the current models (edu discount is ~10%). The stock in the store depends entirely on what's been sent back in for repair so just check it every so often and you'll eventually find the model you're looking for.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

movax posted:

The D+ and/or D- pins are probably broken where the USB connector meets the motherboard. It's a quick solder job, the challenge (maybe) will be finding the proper jacks; I don't recall what they used off-hand in terms of SMT vs Through-hole or what vendor (probably FCI or someone).

Thanks for the information. I think I'll probably leave this one in professional hands since I don't trust myself dicking around with a soldering iron around my only computer's motherboard. Whatever the cost of taking it in for repair is less than that of a new MBP. :v:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I'm really unsure what Apple desktop I should buy. I do know that I haven't unplugged my mid-2009 15" MacBook Pro since the iPad 2 came out, and I want to replace it with a more powerful desktop. I am torn between the iMac and the Mac Mini. My uses are basically a hub for my iTunes libary, web browsing, etc.

Mini:
  • Cheaper
  • More energy efficient
  • Easier to replace hard drive with SSD
  • Requires separate display

iMac:
  • Built in display
  • Less clutter
  • Uses more power
  • Difficult to change components
  • More expensive
  • Slayer

Anyone have any other input that may sway my decision?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Polymerized Cum posted:

I'm really unsure what Apple desktop I should buy. I do know that I haven't unplugged my mid-2009 15" MacBook Pro since the iPad 2 came out, and I want to replace it with a more powerful desktop. I am torn between the iMac and the Mac Mini. My uses are basically a hub for my iTunes libary, web browsing, etc.

Mini:
  • Cheaper
  • More energy efficient
  • Easier to replace hard drive with SSD
  • Requires separate display

iMac:
  • Built in display
  • Less clutter
  • Uses more power
  • Difficult to change components
  • More expensive
  • Slayer

Anyone have any other input that may sway my decision?
I can only assume you mean 27inch iMac? If so -
- Higher Ram limit
- Better video card (and options for it)
- An extra thunderbolt port

If you factor in the 27inch display (at Apple's cost) you're not entirely worse off on the iMac aside from power (Which is higher for obvious reasons, such has having a built in display).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If you already have a nice display, and do not need massive computing horsepower, there's no reason not to buy a the mini.

If you don't have a nice mini, or need the extra power, get the iMac.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
One thing to consider: in my experience, the Mini is exceptionally good at retaining resale value, even by Apple standards.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Yeah it would definitely be a 21.5" iMac. The 27" is just too big and expensive for my needs. I have a plasma with Fruit TV in the living room for movie watching stuff. The desktop basically just serves at the mothership for all my other fruit devices.

Apple has no refurbs right now, is there any student discount? I think I still have my old one somewhere.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Polymerized Cum posted:

Yeah it would definitely be a 21.5" iMac. The 27" is just too big and expensive for my needs. I have a plasma with Fruit TV in the living room for movie watching stuff. The desktop basically just serves at the mothership for all my other fruit devices.

Apple has no refurbs right now, is there any student discount? I think I still have my old one somewhere.

Buying from Amazon without sales tax is often cheaper than student discount if you don't want any BTO options. Well, there's the back to school promo now, though.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Buying from Amazon without sales tax is often cheaper than student discount if you don't want any BTO options.

I live in NY. :cryingcuomo:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You might want to check Best Buy/Microcenter to see if they have any open box returns.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Just went and got myself the Retina 15" Applebook nonamateur. Holy crap the text rendering is beautiful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is it normal for the LED on a magsafe 2 charger to stay on for like 10-15 seconds after I unplug it from my MacBook Air? It charges my laptop fine, I'm just wondering why the LED stays on for a bit, despite being disconnected. It was a replacement bulk charger I received from OWC, after I had to RMA the first one they sent me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Polymerized Cum posted:

Get a Mac Mini in that case. I think you'll be happier with it. Although I still recommend the 27". One of my friends has that model and I :swoon: every time I see it. It's so nice looking.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
I've read quite a bit back and haven't seen too much on this so I have a few questions. I'm upgrading my old MBP (2010 model) to the 27' iMac. I want to keep it under $2000 if at all possible and I still have my .edu email so I can take advantage of the Apple Education Discount.

My questions comes down to specs and places to buy. I have an Amazon Prime membership and that would be cheaper at the moment since wouldn't pay taxes right then. This would also afford me the top end iMac. But would that even matter? Considering I'd be using it for things such as browsing the web, a game of Civ V, League of Legends etc. How big of a difference would this make me in the long run, and is it worth it? Admittedly I'm not very computer savvy so specs go a bit over my head.

Second question is if I should buy from Apple or Amazon? I'm sure it doesn't really make a difference but considering ill be ordering it (nearest apple store is 70 miles away) I'd rather get the two day shipping / taxes off. But reading some reviews of how amazon shipped an older model and such has made me think twice.

Thanks for the help.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I woke my macbook air 2013 from sleep this evening and the fans immediately went crazy, slow system, etc., until I shut it down. This happened once before a week or so ago. If I just restart it will wind the fans up immediately after the bong. Only shutting it down completely and starting it up again works. Both times it has happened immediately out of sleep. This is my first ever mac and I'm mac-stupid and don't know how to troubleshoot this.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

smallmouth posted:

I woke my macbook air 2013 from sleep this evening and the fans immediately went crazy, slow system, etc., until I shut it down. This happened once before a week or so ago. If I just restart it will wind the fans up immediately after the bong. Only shutting it down completely and starting it up again works. Both times it has happened immediately out of sleep. This is my first ever mac and I'm mac-stupid and don't know how to troubleshoot this.

Try to reset the SMC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OMGzKakaniz posted:

iMac...Thanks for the help.

It really depends on how long you want to hold onto it. If you're planning to flip it 2-3 years from now or aren't interested in roaming the snowy land of Skyrim with all of the graphical fixings turned up to 11, then the basic GPU in the 27" will probably be more than fine.

If you want a deceptively powerful desktop computer in the iMac form factor or are planning to hold onto it for the next 4+ years, then I'd try to max out every spec I could within my budget (don't buy your RAM from Apple, tho).

As for where to buy- if it's the current model and you aren't getting a tangible cost benefit from another retailer, you're probably always better off just ordering from Apple. The shipping's free anyway and if you use the .edu discount during the summer you'll also get $100 of credit to use in the iTunes and iOS/Mac App stores.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 23, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just sold my 13" 2011 Air to a coworker. Let's see how long after the retina MBP refresh I can hold out from buying one. :q:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Just sold my 13" 2011 Air to a coworker. Let's see how long after the retina MBP refresh I can hold out from buying one. :q:

There any indications on when this will happen? There's some some specs floating around that say that it'll be using GT3e (Iris Pro) graphics which means it'll be less performant but twice as efficient.

It would also be really nice if OS X supported VGA passthrough to host OS, so I could remove my Bootcamp installation completely.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

There any indications on when this will happen?
Not really.

Malcolm XML posted:

There's some some specs floating around that say that it'll be using GT3e (Iris Pro) graphics which means it'll be less performant but twice as efficient.
In which case, people who are looking for a portable workstation should be itching to jump at the refurbished 2012 model when they drop in price.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

I'm in the same basic situation as SWSP and will have a hard time waiting even for an Anand review to come out before buying, when the Haswell rMBP drops.

Although there's never anything concrete, there was a suggestion earlier in the thread that we might hear something after the current Best Buy promotion ends at the end of the month. There's also the earnings call tonight which might coincide with such an announcement, which I am personally hoping for mostly because it fits my personal schedule/needs of having a new laptop in-hand for an important meeting on August 26th.

Then again, we might not get Haswell rMBPs until well into the fall. These things just can't be known.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22...d-mini-in-2014/

Macrumors is saying mid September. If it's like last time (and they release mid September) you might not be able to get one in your hand until the end of October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I guess a plastic iphone will work since most people throw them in cases anyway.

Also 2 weeks in and I'm still thoroughly impressed with the new macbook air. It was my first time going to an Apple OS and it was very easy to pick up and learn. I didn't realize how much build quality would impact the experience of using a laptop. Other trackpads seem horrible in comparison and plastic computers just feel less comfortable to use and flimsy. There is no bloatware, my granddad who got a PC laptop has to deal with popups from antivirus software all the time. The GPU is very solid. Tasks are completed extremely quickly. It looks really good and is extremely light. I do a lot of Skype and everyone remarks at how good my voice sounds and how clear the picture is. And most importantly, it has yet to make me frustrated on angry.