Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

xaarman posted:

The bluing combined with the mega brake fade was what had me concerned. Scoping around, the changes above should do the fix and it doesn't look like the integrity of the rotors were hurt, but I normally expect them to look something similar to this:

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii629/tgoods2/Suzukisv650.jpg

The blueing is normal, mega fade can be a lot of things. If any single part of your braking system is sub par or not properly maintained, you will get fade as you up the pace. Motul RBF 600 and new pads are a good start. Eventually, you're going to have to start bleeding your brakes every few trackdays or the fade gets really nasty, really fast. Also, if you're using the stock MC, tolerances are pretty loose on those...some are good and some are bad and that can have an effect on fade too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

xaarman posted:

Do it, let us know how it goes. My rotors got massive bluing after my last weekend at Hallett, turn 2 is killer. Ordered new EBC EPFA brake pads and RBF 600 to try and fix it, anyone know anything about scrubbing rotors? I hear brake cleaner and scotchbrite does the trick, some people suggested steel wool.

something came up, and i wasn't able to make it. i'll make it up to myself by riding some MX tomorrow.

on the topic of brakes, see if you can snag an 08+ R6 brembo master cylinder. made a huge difference on my race bike. it got to the point where bleeding it wouldn't make a difference. i'd still have mushy brakes by the end of the day. R6 brembo master or bust!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Forgive my newbie-ness, but how does a master cylinder help brake fade? (legit question, I understand why hot fluid/pads/rotors, but a MC?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He races a GSXR - they are well known for having lovely master cylinders that are drat near impossible to get a solid bleed on.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BlackMK4 posted:

He races a GSXR - they are well known for having lovely master cylinders that are drat near impossible to get a solid bleed on.

The newer radial jobs or the older ones?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The newer radial jobs or the older ones?

All of them.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

All of them.

Don't the new GSXR's have Brembo masters? Or is it just the calipers?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Don't the new GSXR's have Brembo masters? Or is it just the calipers?

Neither, Nissan both stock. Until you get to the 2012's when they have Brembo calipers.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Spiffness posted:

Neither, Nissan both stock. Until you get to the 2012's when they have Brembo calipers.
Ughnnn those Monoblocs :flashfap:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Ughnnn those Monoblocs :flashfap:

for realz, yo.

once you start getting faster, you start to notice the shortcomings of certain parts. for the longest time i was the dude that said 'just run what you brung. you don't need any of that fancy stuff'. then i rode stuff better than mine, got quick enough, and learned more. there is no going back.

lets reminisce about my old ninja 250 race bike. good times.

circa sept. 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Went to Jennings for the weekend, had a blast. The first half of Saturday was pretty much rained out until noon or so. There was a huge storm system that just lingered over us for a solid 5 hours and drenched everything, making the entire place miserable. It didn't help that my tires were crap in the wet and I didn't feel comfortable enough to warm them up to rideable temps. After all the poo poo passed though, it was a great day. There was only 9 dudes riding that day, with only 4 being in my group total (the rest were in a combined intermediate/expert group), and each group got ten 20 minute sessions in over the course of the day.

Today was a little more populated, with about 15-20 riders and 6 in my group. Even though it was my first weekend on the SV (and my 4th trackday), I was improving measurably throughout the day. By the end, I had chopped 15ish seconds off my previous best laptime on a 250 and just felt way more confident overall. Shame this poo poo costs so much.

I also accidentally wheelied at the start of the mock race :downs:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

How's the track surface holding up at Jennings? I haven't been there in a couple of years but I hear that the back section keeps getting worse and worse. It's a shame, because I think Jennings is my favorite track, but it's hard to enjoy it when the entire back section is like riding on rumble strips.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It's still nice there aside from 8 and 9, and even they aren't too terrible because the usual line goes in between most of the patches. I can't speak for the really fast dudes or in regards to racing since I was doing the same line all weekend, but its definitely not bad enough to avoid the track or anything.

That said, it would still be amazing if they fixed up 8. One of the harder corners shouldn't be allowed to get torn to bits as the years go on IMO.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Went to Jennings for the weekend, had a blast. The first half of Saturday was pretty much rained out until noon or so. There was a huge storm system that just lingered over us for a solid 5 hours and drenched everything, making the entire place miserable. It didn't help that my tires were crap in the wet and I didn't feel comfortable enough to warm them up to rideable temps. After all the poo poo passed though, it was a great day. There was only 9 dudes riding that day, with only 4 being in my group total (the rest were in a combined intermediate/expert group), and each group got ten 20 minute sessions in over the course of the day.

Today was a little more populated, with about 15-20 riders and 6 in my group. Even though it was my first weekend on the SV (and my 4th trackday), I was improving measurably throughout the day. By the end, I had chopped 15ish seconds off my previous best laptime on a 250 and just felt way more confident overall. Shame this poo poo costs so much.

I also accidentally wheelied at the start of the mock race :downs:

Ride crossed up erryday!

That's a nice looking wheelie, even if you're not supposed to do it :)

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
After doing my second track day in Albuquerque I find that it is imperative I buy one of those fold up canopies to keep me and my bike cooler. Can anyone recommend a good one that won't break my wallet?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Easy ups can be had at big5 etc. On any given weekend sale for around $100.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You'll go through about 3-4 per year due to wind destruction

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Ride crossed up erryday!

That's a nice looking wheelie, even if you're not supposed to do it :)

Proof... that I'm Doohan fan.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Crossed up bros.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The entire day I was so excited that I was finally getting off the bike, and then I get the pictures back and see that everything was moving but my shoulders :xd:
Also, with only 3 of them in the track, I was so bad at the right turns. I was even conscious of it the entire day and I still didn't get to the point where they were caught up with my lefts. Any of you that have been, I'm talking about 7, 9, and 13. 4 doesn't count and 14 is easy.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

AncientTV posted:

I was so bad at the right turns.

try holding the throttle like you would a doorknob or screwdriver. light on the bars, and hold yourself up with your core.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Veritas posted:

try holding the throttle like you would a doorknob or screwdriver. light on the bars, and hold yourself up with your core.

I struggle so much with this, I don't know if it's the SV seating position or what, but I have to consciously remember to do this and forget half the time... but a good turn, light on the handle bars feels wonderful.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 18, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Veritas posted:

I'll keep that in mind next time. It did just feel generally awkward hanging off the right side, I just wasn't able to pinpoint exactly why while I was there.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
So the first time back on the track since my crash, and it was terrible. I've basically got no confidence in the bike, the tires, or my riding ability. I was extremely slow, even for B group. Every session was all stress and no fun. I left a couple sessions early cause I didn't want to push my luck and crash cause I couldn't focus on anything but whether or not my tires were slipping.

Any pointers on fixing where my head is at?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Let your tires warm up, then find someone slow and don't do anything worse than they do.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

So the first time back on the track since my crash, and it was terrible. I've basically got no confidence in the bike, the tires, or my riding ability. I was extremely slow, even for B group. Every session was all stress and no fun. I left a couple sessions early cause I didn't want to push my luck and crash cause I couldn't focus on anything but whether or not my tires were slipping.

Any pointers on fixing where my head is at?

Don't try to go fast, just try to be smooth and eventually speed and confidence will come. And if you're not feeling comfortable out there, sitting out is the right thing to do.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

AncientTV posted:

I'll keep that in mind next time. It did just feel generally awkward hanging off the right side, I just wasn't able to pinpoint exactly why while I was there.

to add to this topic. dunno how tall you are or how much you weigh but, lets just use this as a general base point for body position. Get half your butt off the seat, butt crack should be on the edge of the seat. balls of your feet on the pegs. rotate hip out, open up your hip to the turn. rest your heel on the heelguard or swingarm. this will stick your knee out. okay thats your lower body. for upper body, like your hips, point your shoulders to the turn, elbows out, relaxed grip on the bars. drop your upper body, everyone says 'try to kiss the mirror', or touch your chin to the bar end. and always light on the grips, hold throttle like a screwdriver/doorknob (that way you're not hamfisted on the gas).your spine should be straight, not looking like an 'S'. oh, i forgot to mention: hook your outside leg on the tank flares. with your bike on stands, and you in the correct body position, you should be able to let go of the bars and stay in position by holding yourself up with your thighs and core.

like i said earlier, use that as a baseline to set a body position that is comfortable, and works for you. personally, i like preaching the race line more than body position. if you're on the race like, and running a decent pace, you'll learn body position out of necessity. that, or crash.

hope that makes sense.

this pic shows the 'triangle of light' formed by rotating your heel in, and your knee out.

drop that upper body

outside leg 'hooked' into the tank flares

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I'll be at Heartland Park Topeka's track days this weekend. Anyone else going? Gonna test out my new brakes, which judging by a couple runs last night, weren't too confidence inspiring.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Thanks for that, I've heard bits and pieces of this ad naseum, but it helps to have such a complete explanation. I'll see if I can't brush up on it all next time I'm out at the track. Hopefully it'll serve to give me a bit more confidence than I was getting last weekend in regards to comfortable BP. The tips on foot placement should be especially handy, as mine were just kind of floating around both days.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
glad i could offer a bit of help. any questions, feel free to ask. i'll try to explain and pass on what little i've picked up through the years as best as i can.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

AncientTV posted:

Funny I have exactly the opposite problem... I'm comfortable on right handers but lefts have me confused to some extent. I've never felt anywhere near as comfortable on lefts as rights. I think it's an issue related to the fact ALL the tracks within moderate driving distance of me are run clockwise. I've just had way more chances to practice right handers than left handers. If you have a track near you that's clockwise oriented go hit it up so you get more practice with the side that's been giving you trouble :)

Older pic, but it shows difference in body position pretty well (and is exceedingly exaggerated due to the fact I ride a sumo with knee down, not foot out body positioning)

I'm in the back on the orange KTM (in honda leathers :v: ) setting the guy in front of me up for a pass with cornerspeed since his 690 outpowered my 625 by a fair amount. I'm carrying roughly the same lean angle as him but due to my body positioning am carrying quite a bit more speed through this corner. Note toe tucked up on the peg for clearance, heel rotated into the bike, not much rear end off the seat, and outer leg locked into what little there is to lock into on the tank (oh how I miss sportbike tanks!). In retrospect, it's not a sharp enough corner to really be in ATTACK position but that's what I was comfortable with. Should have had my knee tucked and just hammered through with my shoulder/head down but hey, it worked :).

gawddamn I need to do a trackday asap. It's been far too long!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Unfortunately I don't really have any tracks that are both close to me and run clockwise, but I may just hit up Jennings again when they do a backwards day.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

In retrospect, it's not a sharp enough corner to really be in ATTACK position

All corners are sharp if you have enough speed.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

AncientTV posted:

It's still nice there aside from 8 and 9, and even they aren't too terrible because the usual line goes in between most of the patches. I can't speak for the really fast dudes or in regards to racing since I was doing the same line all weekend, but its definitely not bad enough to avoid the track or anything.

That said, it would still be amazing if they fixed up 8. One of the harder corners shouldn't be allowed to get torn to bits as the years go on IMO.
Yeah, 8-9 has always been a bit sketchy and I hear it hasn't gotten any better. This video is a couple years old and you can see how out of line the bike got after 8. I obviously don't do even remotely close to those times, nor am I on a 1000, but still.

Part of me wishes they'd repave the back section but at the same time I know how expensive that is and I think Jennings would suffer if they had to up their prices to compensate. Oh well, I'll still head down there when I get back on the track one of these days. Love that track regardless.

Also: Anyone going to be at VIR for WERA in a couple weeks? I'll be up there in the pits that Friday helping out some buddies with their endurance team.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
WSB session in moscow cancelled after a rider was killed in the WSS support class, was a really nasty crash in zero visibility due to spray.
http://www.crash.net/world+supersport/news/193749/1/andrea_antonelli_dies_in_wss_accident.html

edit: oops meant this for the racing thread

echomadman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 21, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zool posted:

All corners are sharp if you have enough speed.

It's more of a kink leading onto the short front straight than a corner

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

It's more of a kink leading onto the short front straight than a corner

Just add a turbo to your 690!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Well, weekend complete at Heartland Park Topeka. Fastest track I've been on, there are three straight aways and lots of flowing curves... really only two that are hard turns. Brakes worked like a champ, so very happy about that.

Because of the quickness of the track, it was quite frustrating being held up by people who can pass you in the straights and park it in the turns. The SV is great, but I've been lusting over the already-showing-up-used 2013 675Rs and 636s... Definitely a potential offseason acquisition in my future.

Work is taking me to Alabama for the next 2 months so I think I'm done for the year track day wise though = [

xaarman fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 23, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Keep the SV till those people don't hold you up in the corners anymore because you pass so well and carry corner speed. Then get the 600. You'll thank me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Keep the SV till those people don't hold you up in the corners anymore because you pass so well and carry corner speed. Then get the 600. You'll thank me later.

Also you'll get comfortable with keeping the throttle pinned, which is much harder to do on a 600.

• Locked thread