Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

Don't watch Eva - or not for this reason, anyway - but Gurren Lagann is a safe bet. Pacific Rim also drew on monster films, and there's a thread on those in Cinema Discusso.

I've just finished watching Trigun and felt the last third or so was very rushed - is the manga better in this respect? And is there another series whose director was so addicted to symmetrical compositions, or was I just seeing things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It's not set in a high school, but you should watch Martian Successor Nadesico anyway because it's a ridiculously fun deconstruction of the Giant Robot Anime. Hell, I should re-watch that show. I think I'll start that this weekend.

As for more specifically what you asked for, I'd nth Full Metal Panic and Code Geass.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Fenrir posted:

It's not set in a high school, but you should watch Martian Successor Nadesico anyway because it's a ridiculously fun deconstruction of the Giant Robot Anime. Hell, I should re-watch that show. I think I'll start that this weekend.

He hasn't even watched a single robot anime yet, why would he want it deconstructed.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

House Louse posted:

Don't watch Eva - or not for this reason, anyway - but Gurren Lagann is a safe bet. Pacific Rim also drew on monster films, and there's a thread on those in Cinema Discusso.

I've just finished watching Trigun and felt the last third or so was very rushed - is the manga better in this respect? And is there another series whose director was so addicted to symmetrical compositions, or was I just seeing things?

Trigun+Trigun Maximum is 17 volumes (3+14), and the anime only uses material from the first 3 or so. I vastly prefer how things go in the manga compared to the anime, but Nightow's art during action scenes ranges from "what?" to "complete incomprehensible clusterfuck".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Full Metal Panic is definitely one of the more high school-y giant robot animes out there, to the point that it has an entire season with barely any robots in it.

RubberLuffy posted:

Trigun+Trigun Maximum is 17 volumes (3+14), and the anime only uses material from the first 3 or so. I vastly prefer how things go in the manga compared to the anime, but Nightow's art during action scenes ranges from "what?" to "complete incomprehensible clusterfuck".

I really want them to give the Hellsing Ultimate treatment to Trigun for exactly this reason. Nightow makes some fine designs but yikes he really has the tendency to completely fall apart in some action scenes. I kinda wonder if the recent Trigun movie was testing the waters for such a project.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I almost wish Gatoh hadn't wasted his cool setting on high school hijinks in FMP but whatever. Chidori's a pretty cool character all things said.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
I couldn't see a more appropriate thread for trying to identify an old anime film, so here's my question:

I remember watching a film before 1996 that featured an armoured train, large holographic projections and an Aryan looking fella with glasses and blonde hair (who I think was the villain). I have no idea what the plot was; I can only recall some images and I'm curious to see it again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

Evangelion is Giant Robot Middle School.

No, Evangelion is Giant Robot Special Needs School.

Angels are the various crippling disabilities and psychoses that everyone suffers.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eva rules but as much as Pacific Rim draws from it, it is a very very very different thang.

Full Metal Panic is a pretty good recommendation, despite the gonzo last arc.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cisneros posted:

He hasn't even watched a single robot anime yet, why would he want it deconstructed.

I recommended it more for the lighthearted comedy factor. It's a really fun show even if you've never watched giant robot shows before.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fenrir posted:

I recommended it more for the lighthearted comedy factor. It's a really fun show even if you've never watched giant robot shows before.

Nadesco is a pretty good one, honestly. And it's deconstructing giant robot anime 15 years ago. It works pretty well as a stand alone even if you know very little about giant robot poo poo.

(I have a friend who loved that for years and years and years and it was like the only anime he ever watched.)

Incidentally, I didn't care for the movie when I first watched it about a decade ago, but rewatching the series and the movie about a year ago and it was really cool.

I've noticed a lot of movie sequels don't hit unless you are invested in the characters. I hated the second ghost in the shell movie for a long time before I watched Gits SAC and got to know the characters better, and then the glimpses of the secondary characters was a lot more fun and the movie overall felt stronger.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 20, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

No, Evangelion is Giant Robot Special Needs School.

Angels are the various crippling disabilities and psychoses that everyone suffers.
You say potayto, I say potahto.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I've been out of the anime loop for years, can someone point me towards a good psychological thriller or Kafkaesque anime?

I love relatively realistic characters dealing with strange situations, like Paranoia Agent and Satoshi Kon's movies.

Scifi with a heavy mood or noir styling is great too, like Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black, and Big O.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try Texhnolyze. At least get through the first two or three episodes unless you immediately abhor it in every way, it's really strange and I love it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Analytic Engine posted:

I've been out of the anime loop for years, can someone point me towards a good psychological thriller or Kafkaesque anime?

I love relatively realistic characters dealing with strange situations, like Paranoia Agent and Satoshi Kon's movies.

Scifi with a heavy mood or noir styling is great too, like Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black, and Big O.

I've been enjoying Daughter of 20 Faces. It's...well, I think it fits this.

(Plus, there are cameos by the Ratte and the Spruce Goose.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Try Texhnolyze. At least get through the first two or three episodes unless you immediately abhor it in every way, it's really strange and I love it.

Texhnolyze is indeed fantastic and has great characters. I'd describe it as a an exploration of human ideologies which are represented by the different characters and groups. The storytelling is fantastic and its really well directed. It can be rather boring at times because of its focus, but never uninteresting.

Also the ED song is amazing and I listened to it every time.

e: In response to the Pacific Rim poster, you would love Eva for the Mecha vs Monster battle aspects of it. It has awkward romances and hallway fights aplenty. I think the movie was loosely based on a scrapped live action script for Eva, so it makes sense that they would be similar. There is that other side of Eva that you may find less interesting, or at worst grating, but that would be more of a preference thing.

I say this having come home from watching it about half an hour ago and it was literally mecha anime the movie a la Hollywood.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 20, 2013

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

If Kafka isn't too Kafkaesque, there's Inaka Isha, an adaptation of A Country Doctor. It's just one episode, but it's worth a lot of I Don't Watch Much Anime But points.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

Psycho-Pass is a fantastic cyberpunk setting with rather dark story and tones. It isn't Urobuchi's best, compared to Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica, but it's still a great piece.

By recommending cyberpunk I'm also obligated to recommend Ghost in the Shell, but it's more philosophical than heavy. It is still one of the most solid shows out there and has a fantastic cyberpunk setting with great writing and animation.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mors Rattus posted:

I've been enjoying Daughter of 20 Faces. It's...well, I think it fits this.

(Plus, there are cameos by the Ratte and the Spruce Goose.)

Fair warning: Daughter of 20 faces goes sour fast, like after a single-digit number of episodes, and it's bad enough that I wouldn't lump it in with the examples given.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Thanks, goons. I've heard of Code Geas and Guren Lagan, but there was a whole lot of good suggestions. Turns out my thinking was right, Giant Robot Teenagers has a lot of anime, and I was just bad at reading the wiki. Not a problem, though, seems like there's a lot worth checking out. Now, I have to see what I can track down and then watch it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, the Kafkaest anime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

e: In response to the Pacific Rim poster, you would love Eva for the Mecha vs Monster battle aspects of it. It has awkward romances and hallway fights aplenty. I think the movie was loosely based on a scrapped live action script for Eva, so it makes sense that they would be similar. There is that other side of Eva that you may find less interesting, or at worst grating, but that would be more of a preference thing.

No, this is a internet rumor, Guillermo del Toro has never even seen Evangelion. (Or at least hadn't at the time of an interview after Pacific Rim had completed filming.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, this is a internet rumor, Guillermo del Toro has never even seen Evangelion. (Or at least hadn't at the time of an interview after Pacific Rim had completed filming.)

I've gotta speak to my buddy about these lies he's feeding me.

Even so, this movie is definitely mecha anime a la Hollywood, and a drat good one at that. The general storyline was pretty generic and definitely did not have any of Eva's philosophical/psychological nature, but pretty much every other aspect of the movie could be related almost 1:1 to Eva in some way. It had a lot of surprising and fascinating elements to it that would make for a drat good mecha anime if any studio was arsed to make one based directly off of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As a dude who has seen more mecha animes than he should, I can safely say that most if not all Eva similarities in the film were less Eva-specific and more "stuff that older mecha/kaiju shows did that Eva paid homage to".

I can easily believe that Guillermo Del Toro has never seen Eva. He did namedrop Tetsujin-28 and Patlabor as influences though. And there was some stuff that was probably Mazinger related (I know there's a pretty big Spanish-speaking fandom for Mazinger even today so I wouldn't be surprised if he saw that as a kid).

To keep this on-topic, I didn't think about it until typing it just now since Patlabor isn't a highschool anime, but it does have a rather colorful cast that can kinda fit that "Giant Robot High" request, so I say go with that!

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 21, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

No wonder it felt incoherent...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Black Stones posted:

If you're looking for teen sex comedy type anime, there's always B Gata H Kei as well (also called Yamada's First Time for the Funimation release).
Hey, thanks for that. I got around to reading it, and while it does have some pretty tedious stretches of nothing happening/repeated gags, overall it was a cute, humorous and fun series with some pretty great character growth over time. It also feels like it ends semi-abruptly, author's final notes notwithstanding. Kind of a shame it didn't continue on into their university years. Maybe the worst part of it was Yamada's sister just on her premise alone, but she's pretty much put on a bus pretty early on so that's not so much an issue as it continues on.

A question though, how were they able to get away with that much nudity and sexual stuff in Shonen Jump? I thought that magazine was for stuff like One Piece and Bleach and poo poo. How did a nigh-uncensored sex comedy get in there?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 21, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RubberLuffy posted:

Out of curiosity, where's the actual branching point of Maximum and the anime? I'm guessing it's somewhere around when the Gung-Ho Guns turn up?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Analytic Engine posted:

Well, for a psychological thriller it doesn't get much better than Monster.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, where's the actual branching point of Maximum and the anime? I'm guessing it's somewhere around when the Gung-Ho Guns turn up?

It starts branching right after the time skip, though things play out similarly for a period of time, and there have been minor differences from the beginning (sort of like how the first FMA was mostly the same at the beginning, while also killing off characters or changing around the timeframe for its story). In all honesty though, I really liked how the anime went about resolving everything even if it seems rushed. It's one of those rare cases where the anime still kept to the same themes and story of the manga despite catching up, and having an ending that felt right rather than half-assed or outta nowhere. Apparently the anime's ending influenced Nightow's manga ending too. That and I tend to prefer Wolfwood's anime arc over his manga arc.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a lot to see!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the stuff with legato was way more poignant in the anime, though the manga is so so much better and well developed by the end.

The end is just abrupt and awful in the anime. A clip show for the final episode is really shameful.

I love the anime though. It's one of those things that flavors and spices the manga, and I wish it would get a complete adaptation. Shame the animation and music wouldn't be the same though.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I really, really loved Mononoke's sense of style (and everything else about it). And though I didn't stick with the Flower of Eden anime, I really dug the extensive rotoscoping. What are some other anime series that experiment with the art direction? I don't care about the genre.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Saturday Mornings posted:

I really, really loved Mononoke's sense of style (and everything else about it). And though I didn't stick with the Flower of Eden anime, I really dug the extensive rotoscoping. What are some other anime series that experiment with the art direction? I don't care about the genre.

Gankutsuou, Bakemonogatari, Panty and Stocking, Katanagatari, and Kaiba come to mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Saturday Mornings posted:

I find the most helpful answer to this question is to name directors, rather than individual series.

Look into the works of Satoshi Kon, Masaaki Yuasa, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Akiyuki Shinbo, and Kenji Nakamura.

(This overlaps significantly with Redcrimson's list.)

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I have not watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. Should I? Are the reboots good as well?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RebBrownies posted:

I have not watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. Should I? Are the reboots good as well?

Yes, yes, and they aren't reboots.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

RebBrownies posted:

You should probably watch it if only for its importance in anime culture overall. Really, everyone has their opinion of the show and its characters, but what I can say is that there's far more effort put into the story, characters, and scenes than most shows you're going to find today. Despite it being pretty old at this point, it remains unique. The reboots are great but they should only be watched after the show.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

RebBrownies posted:

I dunno. I seem to recall you liked Tatami Galaxy and some other good things. There isn't much like Evangelion, so it's hard to say if-you-liked-this-you'll-like-Eva. Personally, I hated the first half of the series and my opinion changed for the better as it grew weirder and weirder. It's probably the only big robot anime I've liked aside from Gunbuster and (possibly, since I'm only 3 episodes in) RahXephon. For an anime, it has a bizarrely strong emotional intensity and honesty, despite the backdrop of apocalyptic imagery and hyperbolic fight scenes.

The rebuilds are really good, especially compared to the early episodes of the series. I would say you'd get more out of them if you watch the series and End of Eva, first, though.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

RebBrownies posted:

I'll parrot what everyone else posted.

Suffice to say, there's a reason people still talk about Eva 15 years after it has finished airing. Not that Eva doesn't have it flaws, boy does it ever, but it is certainly a seminal work in our little medium. You should probably watch it at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At the very least, Eva has lots of beyond amazing action sequences that, combined with the vivid art, make for some of the best mindless entertainment there is. As a whole it has its flaws sure, but it's something everyone should see at least once.

And the Rebuild series is HIGHLY recommended, but not as a replacement for everything else. It doesn't matter if you watch the series/movies and then Rebuild or vice versa.

• Locked thread