Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah but now that there are roughly ten major boxing protagonists in this manga, we can't give them all a bunch of fights, unless we want to be reading this for another 20 years.

This post is going to be hilarious in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Scott Bakula posted:

Thats how boxing works yeah. Of course actual ranking doesn't seem to matter anymore

I wasn't sure if something had gotten lost in translation though. That gives a little bit of room for Miyata or someone to get the #1 spot, and a duel for who gets to challenge Martinez.

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010
Morikawa has pretty much telegraphed how this series is going to progress overall. Japanese boxing in Hajime no Ippo recognizes two of the four boxing organizations, the World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Council (WBC) but not the World Boxing Organization (WBO) or International Boxing Federation (IBF). It should be noted that in April of this year Japanese boxing began recognizing the other two organizations but I don't think this will affect Hajime no Ippo since it seems to exist in its version of the early to mid 1990s. In the manga there are two paths to be a World Featherweight Boxing Champion, either by defeating Ricardo Martinez and becoming WBA Featherweight Champion or fighting all the people running from him to be the WBC Featherweight Champion. If this sounds familiar its because one path entails going straight at the strongest person in the world, which we will call Ippo's path (and Sendo's path technically) and one entails fighting through many faceless mooks, which we will call Miyata's path.

Now Ippo will eventually defeat Martinez and become WBA Featherweight Champion, having his third and final fight with Sendo before or after (likely after because Ippo will beat Sendo and it will be Sendo's final match), and a number of title defenses while Miyata becomes WBC Featherweight Champion and fights a whole bunch of scrubs. Eventually the question will arise: "Who is the strongest Japanese featherweight?" at which point there will be the title unification match, likely in a location to make it really epic like the Tokyo Dome, where we finally get the big Miyata/Ippo match. Now Morikawa can stretch out the manga as much as he wants between Ippo becoming world champion and the big story ending fight so he can wrap up Takamura's 6 weight division championships, Kimura/Aoki can finally become national champions, Itagaki can finally have his match with Ippo, and whatever else he wants to do but make no mistake: Miyata vs Ippo to unify the Featherweight Championships will be the final fight in this manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's no real defining element of tragedy either; Kamogawa's past is kind of a bummer, so is Ippo/Sendo's dead dads, Miyata's dad/frustrations, but really nothing that bad has happened.

Kamogawa is so gonna fuckin' die before the end of the manga. Either that or Takamura will finally lose or get a detached retina or something (they never did resolve that) and have to retire.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The Sendo fight, if it will happen, will be before Martinez. Miyata can be before or after. Either Miyata or Martinez will be the final fight, though.

Takamura didn't have a detached retina, that's all.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ippo is going to defeat this next guy and then Martinez incredibly quickly and we'll all think the manga is going to end because its suddenly so rushed. Then immediately with Ippo's victory over Martinez (which was super-vicious and makes the Martinez/Date fight look tame) the POV switches to Miyata again. Miyata suffers a setback and ends up having to climb back up to a place he could challenge Ippo from (probably the other featherweight world belt). All the while this goes on Ippo becomes even more of a monstrous champion than Martinez was, completely destroying opponents and forcing more than a few to retire. Then Miyata eventually challenges and draws with Ippo who then falls to the mat, dead.

It would then be revealed that the Martinez fight had rendered Ippo partially brain dead and Kamogawa was just going all out with using Ippo's face as a weapon and his tendency to be a better boxer while unconscious.

E: Basically Kamogawa is awful and he should become a villain.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Ippo is going to defeat this next guy and then Martinez incredibly quickly and we'll all think the manga is going to end because its suddenly so rushed. Then immediately with Ippo's victory over Martinez (which was super-vicious and makes the Martinez/Date fight look tame) the POV switches to Miyata again. Miyata suffers a setback and ends up having to climb back up to a place he could challenge Ippo from (probably the other featherweight world belt). All the while this goes on Ippo becomes even more of a monstrous champion than Martinez was, completely destroying opponents and forcing more than a few to retire. Then Miyata eventually challenges and draws with Ippo who then falls to the mat, dead.

It would then be revealed that the Martinez fight had rendered Ippo partially brain dead and Kamogawa was just going all out with using Ippo's face as a weapon and his tendency to be a better boxer while unconscious.

E: Basically Kamogawa is awful and he should become a villain.

Kamogawa is an awful trainer; any real trainer who put his boxers through that kind of punishment would be run out of town on a rail. Also, you're telling me he got Ippo to number #3 in the world without getting a big payday? I'm not saying Ippo should be a millionaire, but you'd think a fighter who can fill Korakuen Hall would at least be making middle class money.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

furiouskoala posted:

Kamogawa is an awful trainer; any real trainer who put his boxers through that kind of punishment would be run out of town on a rail. Also, you're telling me he got Ippo to number #3 in the world without getting a big payday? I'm not saying Ippo should be a millionaire, but you'd think a fighter who can fill Korakuen Hall would at least be making middle class money.

Kamogawa's stealing it all.

Crank that villain status to eleven :getin:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Somehow Takamura become world champ in 2 belts and still apparently has no money. I know the stupid statue thing but like 2 World Championships and a couple title defenses each should basically mean you never have to work again if you didn't want to.

Ippo should be able to shut down the family business after becoming world champ and defending the title once unless he is somehow the worst ticket draw in history.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Somehow Takamura become world champ in 2 belts and still apparently has no money. I know the stupid statue thing but like 2 World Championships and a couple title defenses each should basically mean you never have to work again if you didn't want to.

Ippo should be able to shut down the family business after becoming world champ and defending the title once unless he is somehow the worst ticket draw in history.

Takamura has always been rich. He just doesn't give a poo poo about money. But yeah, Kamogawa is totally bamboozling Ippo and stealing his money, waiting for all that brain damage to accumulate. He's planning to use the money to help re-instate the great empire of Japan.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkRpykP6mQ

Maybe I'm not the first to discover this but I think I found the boxer that Aoki was based on.

KoB
May 1, 2009

trucutru posted:

Takamura has always been rich. He just doesn't give a poo poo about money. But yeah, Kamogawa is totally bamboozling Ippo and stealing his money, waiting for all that brain damage to accumulate. He's planning to use the money to help re-instate the great empire of Japan.

Hes from a rich family but he basically ran away from all that.

Either way he should be totally rich by now but hes just living in that lovely tiny-rear end Japanese apartment still.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Seabreeze posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvkRpykP6mQ

Maybe I'm not the first to discover this but I think I found the boxer that Aoki was based on.

Look up the fighter Hawk was based on. In my opinion, one of the greatest of all time and quite literally the most fun boxer ever to watch.

Prince Naseem.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

tbp posted:

Look up the fighter Hawk was based on. In my opinion, one of the greatest of all time and quite literally the most fun boxer ever to watch.

Prince Naseem.

I knew about Prince but I was never that huge of a fan. I don't know why but I gravitate towards certain kinds of cocky boxers but not others. Ali, Roy Jones, Leonard and Jack Johnson? Huge fan. Prince Naseem? Not so much. I don't really have a good reason why either. You can make a good argument for all of them being huge assholes.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

New anime season coming.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I can't wait to see the David Eagle fight animated, but if I have to hear Sawamura blather about beef for twenty episodes I'm going to crash a motorcycle into something. I'll still watch all twenty episodes, but then I'll do that.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lots of creepy beef animations are coming for us.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Sawamura match will probably be pretty alright when they get to the actual match.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm looking forward to the Aoki title match. poo poo is still hilarious to this day.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Does this mean we'll get to see Kamogawa's flashback fight?! :swoon:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AWWWWWWW poo poo I AM FREAKING OUT. Can't wait; any weaknesses the 2nd show had had more to do with the painstakingly slow climb to Takamura/Hawk. I'm pumped and ready for this one, since I really enjoyed the Sawamura match.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Does this mean we get to see vorg animated again? He is literally the best.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Does this mean we'll get to see Kamogawa's flashback fight?! :swoon:

I can't quite remember the order of how things go but I'm pretty sure we will?

Sucks that his voice actor died recently :smith:

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Srice posted:

I can't quite remember the order of how things go but I'm pretty sure we will?

Sucks that his voice actor died recently :smith:

Unfortunately, this whole subplot would be really easy to cut out (or postpone) if someone decided to do that.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Guyver posted:

New anime season coming.

My body is ready. This is my favorite show/manga.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Was expecting this sooner, but it's nice to see that it's actually happening.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, couple of new chapters:

http://readms.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/1017/1999/1

Eh.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I have high hopes for this fight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Morikawa isn't very good at writing surprising Ippo fights.

Ippo will probably kick this guy's rear end until he finally realizes his "true style", then Ippo will get the poo poo kicked out of him like he has to almost every fight until he puts him down with burning samurai spirit. Then Martinez will acknowledge his fanboy since he found his own style, and he'll be happy to retire or what the gently caress ever.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I just hope Itagaki gets pounded into dust since it looks like his match will be up first. But he's the SUPER GENIUS PRODIGY FLASH Itagaki so good luck.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Morikawa isn't very good at writing surprising Ippo fights.

Ippo will probably kick this guy's rear end until he finally realizes his "true style", then Ippo will get the poo poo kicked out of him like he has to almost every fight until he puts him down with burning samurai spirit. Then Martinez will acknowledge his fanboy since he found his own style, and he'll be happy to retire or what the gently caress ever.

Yeah, but can Japanese Spirit straight-up beat *Machismo*. It's going to be harder than expected.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

Yeah, but can Japanese Spirit straight-up beat *Machismo*. It's going to be harder boringer than expected.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least he's cutting to the case with respect to getting this fight started. I was expecting a lot more chapters before the match actually occurred.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Ytlaya posted:

At least he's cutting to the case with respect to getting this fight started. I was expecting a lot more chapters before the match actually occurred.

Didn't it take like 3 chapters for the first punch to be thrown after the bell rang in ippo's last fight?

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Hmm...Isn't Itakagi's fight before Ippo's?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Poke posted:

Hmm...Isn't Itakagi's fight before Ippo's?

Are they on the same ticket? If they are, Itagaki will definitely be going first. A national belt isn't as big a deal as a world ranker match.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One thing for sure is that Ippo is going to get snowballed for like 3/4ths of the fight. At least this time it'll be from a world ranker who is a proper orthodox boxer instead of a goofy skinny monkey kid who makes illegal use of the ropes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fabricated posted:

One thing for sure is that Ippo is going to get snowballed for like 3/4ths of the fight. At least this time it'll be from a world ranker who is a proper orthodox boxer instead of a goofy skinny monkey kid who makes illegal use of the ropes and was a wannabe Hawk 2.0 but is nowhere has badass.

Fixed.

Also hopefully this fight isn't over the top. I mean jet punches, whatever that is fine. But nothing like Woolie.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Chapter 1021

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hajime-no-Ippo/1021-A-Nation-s-Hopes?id=172817

Nothing happenend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
that outburst from mashiba about his sister and ippo was cute.