Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Crow_Robot posted:

Verizon officially unveiled the 'Verizon Edge' program.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/07/edge-device-payment-early-upgrade.html

I was hoping there'd be some option for those currently in and almost done with their contract to switch to it and upgrade early but it doesn't look like it.

Nothing about this seems appealing. It's a loving ripoff, just like AT&T's similar program. You pay more per month JUST for the option to pay off half of your phone and then get a new one early, but you're still paying the subsidized amount like anyone else getting a new 2 year contract with a phone. Sure you're not signing a two year contract, but you're basically giving them more money for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

Nothing about this seems appealing. It's a loving ripoff, just like AT&T's similar program. You pay more per month JUST for the option to pay off half of your phone and then get a new one early, but you're still paying the subsidized amount like anyone else getting a new 2 year contract with a phone. Sure you're not signing a two year contract, but you're basically giving them more money for that.

Seriously. You buy a $650 phone for ~$30/month. So after 6 months, you'll have only paid for 1/4 the phone, so you'll owe them ~$160, and presumably you have to give them back the phone. Meanwhile all along you're paying the same $20/month buried in your monthly bill that covers the device subsidy you're not getting.

If you don't want a contract and you want to swap phones willy-nilly, buy it outright and sell them on Craigslist when you're done with them.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Seriously. You buy a $650 phone for ~$30/month. So after 6 months, you'll have only paid for 1/4 the phone, so you'll owe them ~$160, and presumably you have to give them back the phone. Meanwhile all along you're paying the same $20/month buried in your monthly bill that covers the device subsidy you're not getting.

If you don't want a contract and you want to swap phones willy-nilly, buy it outright and sell them on Craigslist when you're done with them.

+ You'll have to pay the $299-$199 price on the new phone.

The $10 TMo plan actually makes sense because it has insurance. It's arguable weather or not the plan is useful but $10 for insurance is about the going price on other carriers.

These other plans seems like accountants seeing the TMo plan and trying to find a way to make an even worse solution to the current plans.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

BJA posted:

I'm trying to swap phone from one line to another online, I'm trying to swap my Rezound from my unlimited line to a regular 2GB line, and the SGS4 on that line to my unlimited line, but I keep getting this error:

SIM Card Required
Your request requires changes to one of your plans.

Is this a swap I'll have to do over the phone or in store?
Normally to swap 4G devices you would just swap SIM cards. Since these two devices have different SIM types the fastest way to get them swapped would be to visit a direct store.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Ok. I'll probably go down tomorrow, i swapped the sgs4 and a note 2 right on the vzw website, is that because they had the same sim?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

kensei posted:

Apparently whatever is in the air has spread to my VZW GNex, because mine won't charge over the MicroUSB any more. :( I have insurance, if I go to a store will they just order me a new one or?
This happened to me over the 4th while I was at the beach. When I got home where it was cooler/less salty it worked fine. If you're somewhere like me currently in a huge heatwave try it somewhere cool after it's been off for a while.
It would also charge for me when it was powered off.

I'm curious too what they do if you have insurance though in case it happens again.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Stick100 posted:

+ You'll have to pay the $299-$199 price on the new phone.

Well just to correct a bit here when you get a new phone you don't have to pay a down payment from what I understand. You just start paying the monthly fee for the new phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The way it is written in the blog post, you do NOT pay the subsidizes cost as you are, essentially, taking a loan from Verizon for the TOTAL cost of the phone. In addition to paying for the subsidy you aren't using.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
pretty much lol-worthy. Tmobile is acknowledging something here: people do want to upgrade more frequently than every 2 years. everyone else just saw :10bux: signs in front of their eyes and added some fees, with basically no improvements whatsoever.

Bret Post
Apr 12, 2013

I'm a Gooby
Verizon is likely going to pull one over on the early adopters who want the S4/iPhone 5, then in 6 months when the next iterations are out, have a stock of used phones. Get the early adopters for their cash, then have used phones with no real collateral attached to them, thus, free profit. Man, if I owned a multi billion dollar company, this would be a golden idea.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

THF13 posted:

This happened to me over the 4th while I was at the beach. When I got home where it was cooler/less salty it worked fine. If you're somewhere like me currently in a huge heatwave try it somewhere cool after it's been off for a while.
It would also charge for me when it was powered off.

I'm curious too what they do if you have insurance though in case it happens again.

So when I went into a non-corporate store, they were super helpful and polite. It does charge with my car adaptor, and the manager was able to wiggle the usb cord she was using to charge her phone and it worked. I still haven't canceled the total protection on my phone, so maybe I'll put in a claim. I do have the external battery charger and a spare extended battery, so I can just swap those out.

I really want an HTC One but don't want to let go of my grandfathered data.

Oddinary
Jul 25, 2006

Awake in a Dream

kensei posted:

Only one way around that: pay full retail.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Makkari posted:

Only one way around that: pay full retail.

Sadly well aware

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kensei posted:

So when I went into a non-corporate store, they were super helpful and polite. It does charge with my car adaptor, and the manager was able to wiggle the usb cord she was using to charge her phone and it worked. I still haven't canceled the total protection on my phone, so maybe I'll put in a claim. I do have the external battery charger and a spare extended battery, so I can just swap those out.

Do you actually make use of your grandfathered data? I only ask because when I worked 3rd party phone sales, there were a lot of people who would go "But I can't lose my unlimited! That's BS!"* and than with their permission, I would log into their account and show them that they've used on average 500mb of data over the passed 6 months or something like that. Usually they'd be like "Oh hahaha get me that Galaxy S3/S4 in that case!"

Basically just make sure your usage justifies you actually keeping unlimited.

*I'm not saying it's not BS, it's total BS actually. At least ATT lets you keep unlimited if you already had it!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do you actually make use of your grandfathered data? I only ask because when I worked 3rd party phone sales, there were a lot of people who would go "But I can't lose my unlimited! That's BS!"* and than with their permission, I would log into their account and show them that they've used on average 500mb of data over the passed 6 months or something like that. Usually they'd be like "Oh hahaha get me that Galaxy S3/S4 in that case!"

Basically just make sure your usage justifies you actually keeping unlimited.

*I'm not saying it's not BS, it's total BS actually. At least ATT lets you keep unlimited if you already had it!

When we go camping, I use the hell out of it to tether. But not all the time, and our plan would go up about $25 a month. I have looked at the rates and since I get a 20% employer discount it doesn't do anything for me to go tiered.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kensei posted:

When we go camping, I use the hell out of it to tether. But not all the time, and our plan would go up about $25 a month. I have looked at the rates and since I get a 20% employer discount it doesn't do anything for me to go tiered.

It's time to sell that Galaxy for whatever it's worth and put it towards a One, in that case.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's time to sell that Galaxy for whatever it's worth and put it towards a One, in that case.

You can't swap out batteries while camping with a One, I would recommend getting a phone with a removable battery.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Honestly, until my GNex dies or stops getting updates, I will probably keep it. We have 4 lines on our plan, I can add a fifth if I really want a One and that will be a lot cheaper than MSRP as far as I can tell.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Gadfly posted:

You can't swap out batteries while camping with a One, I would recommend getting a phone with a removable battery.

No but you can but a external battery charger which is the same thing. So it Dont matter.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My galaxy nexus is having some mic issues, and I still have until the end of February before I could upgrade. Then again, I will probably end up paying retail or ebaying a new phone or something as my bill would increase by a ridiculous amount if I went to tiered, as I use between 5 and 10gb in any given month.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Just was reading some Moto X rumors, it is supposed to hit Big Red in August as well. Decisions!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

My galaxy nexus is having some mic issues, and I still have until the end of February before I could upgrade. Then again, I will probably end up paying retail or ebaying a new phone or something as my bill would increase by a ridiculous amount if I went to tiered, as I use between 5 and 10gb in any given month.

Check out Swappa.com, tons of choices out there for used phones.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kensei posted:

Honestly, until my GNex dies or stops getting updates, I will probably keep it. We have 4 lines on our plan, I can add a fifth if I really want a One and that will be a lot cheaper than MSRP as far as I can tell.

Are any of your other lines eligible? You could just alt upgrade from the other line to yours, or if you're super nervous just upgrade one of them and device swap later..

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Gadfly posted:

Why the hell are you people camping and using computers? :psyduck:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Why the hell are you people camping and using computers? :psyduck:

I use mine for gps to follow vague routes while hiking. Also, I use it as a flashlight since I try to pack light. I'm sure there are other valid uses such as using it as an mp3 player, taking pictures, recording video, etc...

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but my Razr MAXX HD is telling me there's an update now. 9.18.79.en.US to be exact.

However, my phone is rooted. Is the only thing I have to do is go to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and choose "Temp unroot" and then install?

Any chance of this update somehow removing my root access permanently? Also, I used NoBloat to get rid of some bullshit bloatware (such as the Zappos app, some NFL garbage, etc). I could have sworn I read somewhere that the phone will check for these apps and if they are not there, the update will fail or do something messed up. Is this correct? :ohdear:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Milky_Sauce posted:

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but my Razr MAXX HD is telling me there's an update now. 9.18.79.en.US to be exact.

However, my phone is rooted. Is the only thing I have to do is go to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and choose "Temp unroot" and then install?

Any chance of this update somehow removing my root access permanently? Also, I used NoBloat to get rid of some bullshit bloatware (such as the Zappos app, some NFL garbage, etc). I could have sworn I read somewhere that the phone will check for these apps and if they are not there, the update will fail or do something messed up. Is this correct? :ohdear:

Worst case scenario is that if the update fails due to that stuff missing, you backup your phone to a computer, tell the phone to reset to factory settings, update, then reroot. I think.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Worst case scenario is that if the update fails due to that stuff missing, you backup your phone to a computer, tell the phone to reset to factory settings, update, then reroot. I think.

I will wait for a more concrete response but thank you for replying regardless!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Milky_Sauce posted:

It's a maintenance update to fix a few issues, but it also patches out the current bootloader/root unlock exploits. You can keep root and/or the bootloader unlocked through the update: Root requires that you backup with Voodoo and restore after, and the update won't lock the bootloader again so you don't need to do anything there.

The Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app will allow you to make a backup of the root binary. You'd need to do that before doing the temp unroot if you want to keep it. Make sure your superuser binary app is updated before making the backup (I use SuperSU and ran both Superuser & SuperSU to update them before I backed up root with Voodoo), then you can restore root with Voodoo after the update. As long as you've backed up the updated superuser binary you'll be able to restore it after the update with the Voodoo OTA app.

It will look for those system apps during the update. If you disabled/froze the apps rather than deleting them, then you can re-enable them prior to the update and then disable them again later. If you deleted them then you'd probably need to backup the phone, revert to stock, and then re-root before trying the update again.

edit: Also this.
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 19, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LCD Deathpanel posted:

It's a maintenance update to fix a few issues, but it also patches out the current bootloader/root unlock exploits. You can keep root and/or the bootloader unlocked through the update: Root requires that you backup with Voodoo and restore after, and the update won't lock the bootloader again so you don't need to do anything there.
And if you have an unlocked bootloader you can just boot TWRP or Clockworkmod recovery and use it to flash su to it if you lose root at any point in the future.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Thanks a bunch guys but I don't believe the Razr Maxx HD ever got an unlocked bootloader discovered. Motorola charged extra for a "developer" version of the phone that had an unlocked bootloader was the closest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, the bootloader was cracked. That exploit is one of the this this update is patching.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Milky_Sauce posted:

Thanks a bunch guys but I don't believe the Razr Maxx HD ever got an unlocked bootloader discovered. Motorola charged extra for a "developer" version of the phone that had an unlocked bootloader was the closest.
It's able to be unlocked under 4.1.2 as long as you're A) rooted and B) don't have the most-recent maintenance update installed:
http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2013/04/08/motorola-bootloader-unlocking/

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I had no idea the bootloader was cracked. I was told when I bought this phone those days were over. Thanks so much guys.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
This "Edge Program" that Verizon is rolling out sorta makes me giggle. I paid for my Razr Maxx HD in cash back in January, and my contract is up next June. I'm curious to know how many people in similar shoes are going to get roped into this: Phone is paid off, less than a year to go and no more contract, unlimited data. Verizon is a bunch of sneaky fucks, but if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Someone made mention that after 6 months the phone is only going to be 1/4 of the way paid off. This is too much. Less than a year out, let's tack on another 24 months, and an ~$30/mo more to your bill, "sign me up!"

Currently I'm holding out to see some official Moto X news. If the screen is smaller than my Razr Maxx HD, no dice. I like the 4.7" and the square/blockyness of the phone. If the X has the same screen size and some nifty bells and whistles, good chance Motorola with get some money out of me sooner than later. Ideally I'd love a Motorola competitor to the Note. I love, love, love the size of the note, but it feels like a toy in my gargantuan-meaty hand.

How about 5.5", 2gb of ram, 1080 display, 4000mAh battery, 1.7+ GHz quad core cpu. I don't really think I'm dreaming too big. Samsung is slinging 10s of millions of those beast phones, and isn't slowing down: 6.3" screen phones now? o_O Motorola should be trying to get some of that pie! Give me some awesome specs and some legit build quality, and I'll shell out $650-$1000 for a boss phone come New Phone time; no big deal.

Now I realize that not everyone shares my fervor to spend that much money on a phone outright. However, if Moto developed such a phone, I'm sure it would sell. I've got a unicorn of a phone plan that needs-a-protecting. The cost of a phone outright is half of what I'd pay an ISP/mo for internet over two years.

Back selling refurbished phones disguised as this edge program after 6 months is pure evil genius. Buy it retail and laugh at Verizon.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 20, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What the hell phone has a 6.7" screen?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

big mean giraffe posted:

What the hell phone has a 6.7" screen?

Woops, overstated. 6.3" not 6.7".. not real far off, heh...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/samsung-galaxy-mega-review/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

cuedotcom posted:

Woops, overstated. 6.3" not 6.7".. not real far off, heh...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/samsung-galaxy-mega-review/

I'd totally get that on Verizon. I'm just hoping they get the Note 3 semi-soon.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My genius wife thought it would be a great idea to hand my RAZR MAXX HD to my daughter while she was in the tub. It ended as expected in the water. Can I just take the sim card out and pop it in my Bionic while I let it sit in rice? Also, how long should I let it in the rice? It seemed to be working somewhat ok when I powered it down and it was only under water for a couple seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

wandler20 posted:

My genius wife thought it would be a great idea to hand my RAZR MAXX HD to my daughter while she was in the tub. It ended as expected in the water. Can I just take the sim card out and pop it in my Bionic while I let it sit in rice? Also, how long should I let it in the rice? It seemed to be working somewhat ok when I powered it down and it was only under water for a couple seconds.

you can, but you'll have to check - I think the Bionic used the larger sim

• Locked thread