Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

The side of his face is all scares, his ear is missing, he shaves his head and has a habit of grinning at dark poo poo

I always pictured him as an evil looking fucker.

Things like that could be applied to most northerners, most of them look like evil bastards, even cool guys like Threetrees. It's his reputation that makes him feared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

savinhill posted:

I always thought Black Dow looked like an average grizzled northman and didn't have his intimidating reputation because of his size or looks, but had it due to his ruthlessness and remorselessness.

Me too, especially when in Heroes he said how he could have been a carpenter(?) and so on.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Clinton1011 posted:

The side of his face is all scares, his ear is missing, he shaves his head and has a habit of grinning at dark poo poo.

I always pictured him as an evil looking fucker.

I do not recall the shaving thing. At some stage it is mentioned he is fairly tall, although he's not huge like Logen. I picture him as being pretty intimidating.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DarkCrawler posted:

Me too, especially when in Heroes he said how he could have been a carpenter(?) and so on.

Potter
He made pots and he seemed damned proud of that fact. Dow had always seemed kind of young Ian McShane mixed with a pointy nosed troll.

I don't know how it got stuck in my head but Logen Ninefingers looks exactly like this:

but with more scars.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 29, 2013

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Potter
He made pots and he seemed damned proud of that fact. Dow had always seemed kind of young Ian McShane mixed with a pointy nosed troll.

I don't know how it got stuck in my head but Logen Ninefingers looks exactly like this:

but with more scars.

hoooley poo poo.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

hoooley poo poo.

Yeah, that is absolutely Logen.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Still throwing in my chips that Logen is Korgoth of Barbaria:

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I do not recall the shaving thing. At some stage it is mentioned he is fairly tall, although he's not huge like Logen. I picture him as being pretty intimidating.

Its from Best Served Cold when Shivers is getting the hair cut. He comments on how Black Dow always made fun of his long hair, He then says that Black Dow shaved his all off so no one could grab it in a fight.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

The Puppy Bowl posted:

but with more scars.

This looks like the perfect (grim) fantasy hero, but in my opinion Logen isn't handsome or good-looking. If not for all the scars and the broken nose, he'd look completely average. Due to scars and all his wounds he looks hideous.

I've imagined Black Dow as looking really average also. Not tall, but not short either. I have a very specific image of him in my mind, but unfortunately I can't think of any celebrity who looks like that imagine. Twilight's Jacob comes closest, but my mental image of Black Dow is a lot meaner looking version of him.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Potter

but with more scars.

That's not bad, though there's a sculpture of logen on joe Abercrombie's website that is pretty close to my idea of him (could do with a couple more scars though).
http://www.joeabercrombie.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/LogenNinefingersColored.jpg

For Dow, Ray Stevenson (Titus pullo in Rome) might work:
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Titus-Pullo.gif

As for Shivers, what colour is hair meant to be? I seem to remember it being described as black when he first appears in TFL, but all the pictures I've seen have him as blond.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hemp Knight posted:

That's not bad, though there's a sculpture of logen on joe Abercrombie's website that is pretty close to my idea of him (could do with a couple more scars though).
http://www.joeabercrombie.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/LogenNinefingersColored.jpg

Wow, yeah, that's pretty much perfect.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yep, that fits my own mental image of Logen perfectly. Certainly much better than the gigantic bald ogre in that picture upthread.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
It's funny every drawing of logen is missing the one feature that always sticks out in my mental picture of him. His one eye is lower then the other, this is from when he got shot in the face with an arrow. After removing it and all the broken bones it healed up and his one eye is now lower down then the other.

This one feature drastically changes my mental image of him.

Edit: Actually after looking at that recent picture of him again his right eye is lower then the left. It's just missing the star shaped scare underneath.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2013

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
He seems to be doing mostly voice acting these days, but Michael Wincott might make a good Dow. He was one of the great villains of the 90's – Crow, Robin Hood, etc. – and has that cool voice.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Logen has a two face thing going on where half his face is normal and the other half kinda hangs loose, mostly when he wants to intimidate people or threaten with the Bloody Nine.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Blind Melon posted:

Logen has a two face thing going on where half his face is normal and the other half kinda hangs loose, mostly when he wants to intimidate people or threaten with the Bloody Nine.

Whoa, imagine this: A tall, long-haired, Sylvester Stallone as Logen...BOOM

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

For what it's worth, the new First Law comic has a map of the Circle of the World in it.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I don't understand comic books

Is that one guy who looks like the other guy in the last panel emphasizing 'taxes' and 'themselves' in his speech? "Well, taxes do not collect themselves." That's weird. Is he being sarcastic?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

After reading a few comics you can kinda learn to ignore it. But in my limited experience it seems pretty common.

I hope Abercrombie holds onto the movie rights much harder.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Where is Glokta's cane?

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

He has it, it's just hidden by his body for most of it. He's resting his left hand on it in the last panel.

I think the comic is just fine, sure it isn't as good as it could've been but I've seen a lot of awful comic book tie-ins and this isn't even close.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I don't understand comic books

Is that one guy who looks like the other guy in the last panel emphasizing 'taxes' and 'themselves' in his speech? "Well, taxes do not collect themselves." That's weird. Is he being sarcastic?

Comic book readers need to have a few words emphasized for variety or else they just skip the words altogether.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Strabo4 posted:

He has it, it's just hidden by his body for most of it. He's resting his left hand on it in the last panel.

I think the comic is just fine, sure it isn't as good as it could've been but I've seen a lot of awful comic book tie-ins and this isn't even close.

Yeah, it's really not bad at all by comparison to poo poo like the Game of Thrones graphic novel. I'm guessing that it's something that Joe wanted to see happen personally and made it happen. Nothing wrong with that.

First Law is a little too chatty for a comic adaption, but that's not the issue either.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I thought there already was a First Law comic, I distinctly remember it being black & white and having a lot of "Xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa" in it between Stalin and Hitler dueling with arcane powers...

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I basically pictured Glotka as a skinnier Christopher Loyd Uncle Fester, so that mutton chopped dude is pretty jarring for me.

I just looked it up and Shivers doesn't necessarily say that Black Dow shaves his head - I interpreted this to mean that he just cut his hair short.

Caul Shivers in Monza's Version of Vertigo posted:

Folk got other things to cut in a war than their hair, I guess. Black Dow used to laugh at me, 'cause he'd always hacked his right off, so as not to get in the way in a fight.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Giodo! posted:

I basically pictured Glotka as a skinnier Christopher Loyd Uncle Fester, so that mutton chopped dude is pretty jarring for me.
I'm pretty sure that Glotka is described as having been pretty dashing before he was captured and horribly tortured and mutilated. I don't quite know to describe how I pictured him in my head. But definitely more bent. And probably somewhat gaunt seeing as how he can pretty much only eat mush. He's definitely not handsome and dashing anymore but there should at least be a ghost of the man he once was there.

I guess I kind of picture him sort of like Kiefer Sutherland in Dark City maybe? Just with more scars and missing teeth.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

UncleMonkey posted:

I'm pretty sure that Glotka is described as having been pretty dashing before he was captured and horribly tortured and mutilated. I don't quite know to describe how I pictured him in my head. But definitely more bent. And probably somewhat gaunt seeing as how he can pretty much only eat mush. He's definitely not handsome and dashing anymore but there should at least be a ghost of the man he once was there.

I guess I kind of picture him sort of like Kiefer Sutherland in Dark City maybe? Just with more scars and missing teeth.

I know it's completely wrong but I can't help picturing him as the albino guy who helps torture Wesley in the Princess Bride.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

UncleMonkey posted:

He thinks of himself as having once been very handsome and suave. This is confirmed by pretty much everyone who knew or heard about him before he was crippled (the prince, what Ardee says about his reputation, some others I'm probably forgetting). I'm not sure how to picture Glokta because I don't know how to imagine a once very handsome but horribly disfigured man in his mid 30s.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
So Joe Abercrombie has a new book coming out soon, called Half A King.

It's young adult.

quote:

In some ways this is a very different sort of book from what I’ve written so far. It’s aimed partly at younger readers (maybe the 12-16 range). It’s much shorter – 80,000 words compared to 175,000 for my shortest, Red Country, and 230,000 for my longest, Last Argument of Kings (though still over twice the length of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, believe it or not). It’s set in a very different world with what you might call a viking or anglo-saxon feel. It’s much more focused, with a single point of view. It’s not so overtly ‘gritty’ although it’s a long way from smooth. It is punchy. It has drive. I aimed to deliver a slap in the face with every page.

Before some of you groan in horror at this wounding betrayal of all you believe in, I also wrote this with established readers, and indeed with a wider adult readership, very much in mind. In some ways it’s a very similar sort of book to what I’ve written so far. It’s fantasy, but light on the fantasy, and heavy on the vivid characters, the visceral action, the mixture of wit and cynicism, the twists and surprises. I hope that it will have a wide appeal. But I don’t feel that I’ve compromised on the way I’ve written. I think it’s as tough, surprising, challenging, and morally ‘grey’ as the rest of my output.

It’s very important to say that this is in no way a split from my current publishers Gollancz (and their parent Orion) in the UK and Orbit in the US. I cannot emphasise enough that Gollancz – and in particular my editor, Gillian Redfearn – have been and continue to be a brilliant, brilliant publisher for me. They fished The Blade Itself from the slush pile, more or less, and have built on the success of every book, to the point where The Heroes and Red Country both made the Sunday Times Hardcover Bestseller list. They’ve made deals in no less than 26 foreign territories and sold somewhere around 3 million of my books across the world in paper, audio and electronic formats. That’s quite an achievement and I’m hugely grateful for the opportunities they’ve given me and the work they’ve put into making my books a success.

Gollancz will continue to publish the six First Law books in the UK (along with Orbit and Pyr in the US) – with their accustomed inspiration and aplomb, I do not doubt – and in due course will be publishing a collection of short stories (which hopefully will appear in late 2015/early 2016) as well as another trilogy set in the First Law world. That trilogy is in the works, but there was always going to be a significant gap in the adult publishing while I worked out what I was going to do with it. I wouldn’t bet on seeing the first one in your bookstore (or on your preferred e-reading platform) before 2017.

Short version: the next First Law trilogy is still coming, but he's got a young adult trilogy in the works as well and the first book of that will be out soon. You can read the full blog post here.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I'm pretty excited by this news. He always said it would probably be around 4 years until the next First Law book, as he wanted to have the entire trilogy close to completion before the books started coming out. I assumed we were in for a long wait for the next Abercrombie book (excluding a few short stories here and there). So the fact that we'll get another book next year-- YA or no-- is pretty good news. I will look forward to reading it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These days the main difference between adult novels and young-adult novels is which shelf they go on in the book store.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

withak posted:

These days the main difference between adult novels and young-adult novels is which shelf they go on in the book store.

Yes and no, because I agree to a certain extent with the thrust of your argument, which is essentially that much 'adult' fantasy isn't really adult. However, there are adult themes in fiction that sort of preclude a young adult readership. And I don't mean moralistic 'adult' themes like sex and violence though I would say that love is an adult theme insofar as an understanding of the limitations of love is a different between an adult and a young adult, which is why a constant theme in teen books is love conquers all and everything will be all right in the end and whatnot.

Nostalgia, aging, and other such themes are really 'adult' as well. It's why The Great Gatsby doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a high school book, because a central theme is nostalgia and the inevitable march of time... a thing that resonates in your mid-to-late 20s and 30s but certainly does not at 16.

I will say that some 'adult' fantasy like Wheel of Time, non-WoT Sanderson such as Mistborn and even Way of Kings, Rothfuss, Lynch, Ryan (whose debut novel was amazing and deserves mention in any serious discussion of fantasy), and several others don't really deal with these themes much and aren't adult in any real sense, and the classification is because they are generally better written than Harry Potter, Twilight, or The Hunger Games (amongst others... the horrors of the teen paranromal romance genre...). On the other hand, Abercrombie, Erikson, and Martin are probably the three authors I'll say are pretty squarely adult, so it will be interesting to see Abercrombie's take on the young adult category.

OK, Martin is maybe even arguable.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

withak posted:

Teenage supernatural romance, by Joe Abercrombie.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Rurik posted:

If it ends as well as all the other relationships he writes, I'd buy it.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Braking Gnus posted:

If it ends as well as all the other relationships he writes, I'd buy it.

Edward as Shivers, Bella as Monza. Bella'd be badass and we'd see how Edward, well, you know. :haw:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Yes and no, because I agree to a certain extent with the thrust of your argument, which is essentially that much 'adult' fantasy isn't really adult. However, there are adult themes in fiction that sort of preclude a young adult readership. And I don't mean moralistic 'adult' themes like sex and violence though I would say that love is an adult theme insofar as an understanding of the limitations of love is a different between an adult and a young adult, which is why a constant theme in teen books is love conquers all and everything will be all right in the end and whatnot.

Nostalgia, aging, and other such themes are really 'adult' as well. It's why The Great Gatsby doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a high school book, because a central theme is nostalgia and the inevitable march of time... a thing that resonates in your mid-to-late 20s and 30s but certainly does not at 16.

I will say that some 'adult' fantasy like Wheel of Time, non-WoT Sanderson such as Mistborn and even Way of Kings, Rothfuss, Lynch, Ryan (whose debut novel was amazing and deserves mention in any serious discussion of fantasy), and several others don't really deal with these themes much and aren't adult in any real sense, and the classification is because they are generally better written than Harry Potter, Twilight, or The Hunger Games (amongst others... the horrors of the teen paranromal romance genre...). On the other hand, Abercrombie, Erikson, and Martin are probably the three authors I'll say are pretty squarely adult, so it will be interesting to see Abercrombie's take on the young adult category.

OK, Martin is maybe even arguable.

Very well put. The major difference does seem to be in how the audience is treated to less depth in a young adult(or any of the work you mentioned above) book, with a heavier focus on plot progression as opposed to any message or exploration of the human condition. If that's the case I'd probably be plenty happy with a philosophically watered down action yarn by Abercrombie.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Almost all young adult fiction that I've read focuses on a teenaged character coming of age and more or less dealing with the flawed world inherited from the previous generation. Not to say that it's the single defining trait or pre-requisite for the genre, just a common general plot descriptor.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Rurik posted:

An incredibly generic Tabula Rasa teen girl protagonist falls in love with the Bloody Nine, Logan is the 3rd wheel in their relationship.

Say one thing for the Bloody Nine, say he's a lover

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure being Death incarnate kind of precludes you from loving anyone more than the once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Bayaz chat:
I think the biggest reason he's still alive is time. He's functionally immortal in that he ages very slowly. From discussion of what it takes to be a magus( determination, extraordinary willpower, intelligence), not to mention the being the first of the magi, the man has had a long time to get things in order. Imagine what some of history's most powerful leaders could accomplish with functional immortality.
More so than any magic, time is his greatest weapon.