Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
apologies for the double post, took this about as far as I could

this is how I've always seen bothans in my head, more of a Ron Pearlman Beast than horse-face furry. Took forever since it's been awhile since I painted anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

apologies for the double post, took this about as far as I could

this is how I've always seen bothans in my head, more of a Ron Pearlman Beast than horse-face furry. Took forever since it's been awhile since I painted anything

And yet, you made a cool Bothan. If you're not sick of doing these, a cool Sullustan would also be welcome.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
For anyone that wants to use Roll20 for online games, as of today they now support custom dice tables with icons, so we can get our EotE dice on!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

There is actually a much better tool already. Works great.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Oh drat, I hadnt been following the mods at all. Roll20 is pretty swank.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
So, I have the book now, and I like it a lot. My only real issue I have with it is that it feels like a bit of a waste to not put every experience point you can into attributes at character creation. I could probably make a perfectly serviceable character WITHOUT doing that, but my inner min-maxer keeps telling me how I'm missing out on that extra green that just makes my character more badass in every way.

I'm thinking that's a more endemic problem with point-buy systems as a whole, but it's really been bugging me when trying to make my *~perfect character~*(that I'll probably never play).

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 17, 2013

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

devilmaydry posted:

So, I have the book now, and I like it a lot. My only real issue I have with it is that it feels like a bit of a waste to not put every experience point you can into attributes at character creation. I could probably make a perfectly serviceable character WITHOUT doing that, but my inner min-maxer keeps telling me how I'm missing out on that extra green that just makes my character more badass in every way.

I'm thinking that's a more endemic problem with point-buy systems as a whole, but it's really been bugging me when trying to making my *~perfect character~*(that I'll probably never play).

This is the exact same problem I'm having putting together the droid for my group. The fact that you can't buy attributes after char-gen is killing me.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Where does it say you can't upgrade attributes after chargen? Doesn't it specifically say the max characteristic score is 6, but you can't put it above 3 at chargen?

Caedar fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 17, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

It's not that you can't. You can only upgrade an attribute after chargen by getting the Dedication talent at the bottom of a talent tree, but that's a much bigger investment then what you spend at chargen to increase an attribute.

Edit: I guess I replaced the number you put with the correct one in my head. Characteristics(I don't know why I keep calling them attributes) max out at 6, but you can't have a characteristic higher than 5 at chargen.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 17, 2013

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Pg. 92, top right. Characteristics can't be increased with XP after generation. Talents will do it, and Cybernetics.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is that more or less static than Saga? I'm sorry, but my only familiarity with character advancement is under d20/Revised/Saga, which would influence I suppose what NPCs I could come up with (although "wait for the later books" is an option, whereas Saga seemed to be "do any era, any milieu, any setting").

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Chortles posted:

Is that more or less static than Saga? I'm sorry, but my only familiarity with character advancement is under d20/Revised/Saga, which would influence I suppose what NPCs I could come up with (although "wait for the later books" is an option, whereas Saga seemed to be "do any era, any milieu, any setting").

More static. Saga gave you a +1 increase to two attributes every 4 levels.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I heard that they plan on releasing three more books to cover other aspects of the Star Wars universe, any idea on where to get more info about that? And is it possible they're gonna do a splat book or books covering the KOTOR and Legacy era?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The second book is planned to be focused on Military style games while the third should be around Jedi. I haven't heard anything about a fourth one.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I heard that they plan on releasing three more books to cover other aspects of the Star Wars universe, any idea on where to get more info about that? And is it possible they're gonna do a splat book or books covering the KOTOR and Legacy era?

The 2 other main books being released are Age of Rebellion, which covers the rebel alliance and the empire, and Force and Destiny, which is the book that covers force users and jedi. They're supposedly going to be released a year apart from each other... but this is FFG we're talking about.

There will be splat books between the main book releases. They're already working on a book called Enter the unknown which (I think)expands all specialization trait trees and offers new races, and new specializations for the Explorer class. So they could cover other eras in splat books, but there haven't been any announcements about that.

Edit: I was just thinking a little more on this; I'm thinking they might release a KOTOR splat, but I really don't think they'll touch legacy. If only because Warner Brothers is probably going to be rebooting everything that happens after the movies completely with episodes 7 to 9.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 17, 2013

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Knowing FFG, I would say there will be a ludicrous amount of content available in the long run, with pretty much every nook of the setting statted out. If it's like the 40K line they will keep putting out support books for each of the main three even once the last one is out.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

There IS a mention of Zonama Sekot on the galaxy map, and it had 137 ABY in paranthesis. I'm not sure why it was set so far in the future, so I looked it up and... Wow, Star Wars EU is cracktastic. :stare:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Somehow the Galactic Civil War focus makes it feel more narrow than Saga, although that seems a deliberate design decision (considering the upcoming reboots) and the focus actually reminds me of the old West End Games, albeit there they were just straight up making some of the lore in the first place.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

my greatest...sadness? in regards to Star Wars RPGs is all the focus on Rebellion vs. Empire and the events of the movies/games/books. There's so much potential in the universe for things to happen 'outside' the established canon of the movies. Undiscovered planets, political and criminal intrigue, etc.

It's why I'm glad that ultimately this initial core book has little to do with Jedi and the Civil War, that's the backdrop of the galaxy for your ne'er-do-well, not the subject (necessarily)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't see why you couldn't run something in another time period. Star Wars technology is very static, that's a core theme, so it's not like you'd have to adjust the availability of equipment. Anything that would change in an Old Republic or New republic game is mostly flavor.

I suppose one hurdle is the lack of Force proficiency above level 2, which would make it near impossible to play Jedi right now without some serious house ruling, but I guess that's why we're waiting on the other 2 core books.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

homullus posted:

And yet, you made a cool Bothan. If you're not sick of doing these, a cool Sullustan would also be welcome.

started roughing in the sullustan

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Wookies and Trandoshans can wear armor correct?

I know with Droids you just flavor it too the equivalent.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Trandoshans wear armor in-universe, I believe.

When it comes to wookies, I think they can wear armor going by EotE rules. You'll just have to either abstract it, or reflavor it to bandoleers or something.

Or, you can have a wookie that wears clothes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

Haha, that's awesome. I don't understand what he's holding, though.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

devilmaydry posted:

Trandoshans wear armor in-universe, I believe.

When it comes to wookies, I think they can wear armor going by EotE rules. You'll just have to either abstract it, or reflavor it to bandoleers or something.

Or, you can have a wookie that wears clothes.

I don't really see why a wookiee couldn't wear armor/clothes? Trandoshans certainly can, Bossk was armored up if I remember my action figures correctly. But as far as wookiees go just because Chewie didn't wear pants doesn't mean you can't.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

treeboy posted:

~WhAt arE you LoOkiNg at!?~ *hic!*

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

homullus posted:

Haha, that's awesome. I don't understand what he's holding, though.

haha, fair enough, it's a tall shot glass of some kind (i've already altered it a bit to match his hand position better), I'll have to add a bottle somewhere and make sure it's got some exotic glowing liquid inside.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This wookiee owns

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

treeboy posted:

haha, fair enough, it's a tall shot glass of some kind (i've already altered it a bit to match his hand position better), I'll have to add a bottle somewhere and make sure it's got some exotic glowing liquid blue milk inside.

Fixed that for you.

Our little group got our characters rolled up last week. Out of the absurd number of game systems I've played, this one was probably the easiest to get going. It also feels like the least amount of choices. Our party has two pure support characters, a hybrid, and two combat spec'd characters. It'll be interesting to see if the game can support such a setup - though, if it doesn't, it's not a knock against EotE, since that usually comes down to having a good GM more than the system.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Winson_Paine posted:

I don't really see why a wookiee couldn't wear armor/clothes? Trandoshans certainly can, Bossk was armored up if I remember my action figures correctly. But as far as wookiees go just because Chewie didn't wear pants doesn't mean you can't.

I'm not saying they can't wear armor, it just seems like a lot of the fiction has wookies not wearing armor, so I was going with that assumption. The same thing could be said for droids, the general assumption is that they're upgrading their hardware, but nothing stops a droid from just putting padded armor over their body if they felt like it.

I guess adding the "have to" made it seem like it was a rule or something. Sorry if it came out like that, I didn't really mean it that way. I did add that you can just have your wookie wear clothes at the end of my post. Which, as you said, doesn't break any rules, really.

alg posted:

This wookiee owns

Yeah, gotta say that that wookie owns.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think it's a question of "what clothing would a being that doesn't need clothing choose to wear?" For example, I could totally imagine C3-PO choosing to wear super-short, tight, 1970s basketball shorts.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

R2D2 just gets a series of decals that makes it look like he's wearing a suit and tie.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

devilmaydry posted:

nothing stops a droid from just putting padded armor over their body if they felt like it.

Our party's resident droid is decked out in full Laminate in the hopes of being mistaken for human. I'm pretty sure he's going to catch some poo poo from other droids for being the droid version of an Uncle Tom somewhere down the line.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I appreciate the awesomeness of the book, but I wish they had a smaller player's guide available. A couple people in my group don't have $60 (or $45 on Amazon) to lay down for the book, and they'll never use the Gamemaster and Setting related stuff.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Well, you could use the Begginner game to get both dice, and the combat rules. Then, there are a fair amount of online talent trees for quick reference. The only thing missing would be character creation rules, and character creation is relatively quick. So you can share the corebook for that part.

I think that should work, but I don't have too much play experience with the Begginner Game. it might be a little off compared to the corebook, because the begginner game is based more on the beta rules then the rules that came out. It should work relatively well for a quick and dirty reference, though.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Unfortunately the Beginner's Game isn't really up for being a player's guide. There are no character creation rules no gear, for starters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Faceless Clock posted:

Unfortunately the Beginner's Game isn't really up for being a player's guide. There are no character creation rules no gear, for starters.

The Game Master content starts on page 286. That is almost a 300 page full color hardback of player content. You should probably just wish for richer players, they wouldn't be able to afford a "player's guide" either.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Hmm, interesting logic failure in the weapon attachment section; Weighted Head is an attachment for bludgeoning Melee or Brawl weapons. Requires 2 hard points, but all bludgeoning Melee and Brawl weapons have 0 hard points available (with the exception of shock gloves, which have 1). So, unless you're a Technician with Tinker who likes shock boxing, this attachment is completely useless. Truly, making a harder club is as lost an art in the Star Wars universe as effective railings.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I had a chance to try out the beginner game a few days ago when my d&d group had a couple of no shows. I liked it. Coming from 4e, the thing that stood out the most was how much we were able to accomplish story wise. The combat resolution system was super simple compared to 4e's tactics heavy system but I don't feel like anything important was lost. If anything, the bonus dice encouraged more creative play. That streamlining allowed us to complete the entire adventure in one night. I feel that if we were playing 4e we would have had to split it into at least 2 sessions if not more. The game/adventure also captured the cinematic feel of the movies and we all had a great time.

What I'm wondering is, does higher level play continue to keep things fast paced or, like d&d, does it become more and more complicated (and slow) as you progress to higher levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

45 bucks ain't too much for a really, really nice book that will last forever. There really isn't that much GM stuff in the main book, I can see why they wouldn't want to split the books up. Trying to get people to buy a separate GM book in this day and age must be tough.

• Locked thread