Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Kaedric posted:

Interesting, a japanese video was just posted and it has a couple neat tidbits that I haven't seen yet. Something to do with those tarot card-like things posted about before, and if you skip to about 3 minutes into the video linked below, you'll see a cooking mini game. Classic Vanillaware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNmJI18rD4

What was that bit at 2:54 where it showed a ps3 controller pointing at a vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What was that bit at 2:54 where it showed a ps3 controller pointing at a vita?

transferrable save games

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Fauxtool posted:

transferrable save games

drat, was hoping it was some super secret re-announcement of cross play.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For anyone who wants a good, long look at how this game plays, Japanese gaming site 4Gamer uploaded a 14 minute gameplay demonstration. It's all narrated in Japanese but there's a lot of just straight up uninterrupted gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plMGg19mbiw

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Gamespot has one too with narration/barely-an-FAQ by Atlus NA reps in really distracted English.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

For anyone who wants a good, long look at how this game plays, Japanese gaming site 4Gamer uploaded a 14 minute gameplay demonstration. It's all narrated in Japanese but there's a lot of just straight up uninterrupted gameplay.

After watching this, I still can't tell some details about how MP works. Is it drop in drop out anytime co-op, or do you have to start and end each section of the dungeon together?

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Policenaut posted:

I'm already pretty on board with this game, but the 2:40 second mark is where I preordered for both PS3 and Vita.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
That was a very cute and lively mouse.

Samurai Sanders posted:

After watching this, I still can't tell some details about how MP works. Is it drop in drop out anytime co-op, or do you have to start and end each section of the dungeon together?

There'll probably be a video to show how multiplayer works. If nothing else this one showed that npcs could drop in to fill in some of the empty slots so you can just co-op with 1-2 other people if you like.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gameday posted:

I'm already pretty on board with this game, but the 2:40 second mark is where I preordered for both PS3 and Vita.

Can't tell whether it's a wizard that's pissed about being turned into a mouse, or a mouse totally stoked about being a wizard.

Goddamn, I still dream of seeing this and Bayonetta on PC :smith:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The mermaid in that video is really, really disturbing. A mermaid shouldn't have a butt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

The mermaid in that video is really, really disturbing. A mermaid shouldn't have a butt.
Yeah, what the hell is that? Why does she have a butt?

How does she poop?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

Yeah, what the hell is that? Why does she have a butt?

How does she poop?

From her butt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

From her butt.
WHICH ONE, YOU MANIAC!?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

WHICH ONE, YOU MANIAC!?

I have this paper written by the Quarian sweat guy that describes the process: First,

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Please put butts on everything, Vanillaware.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Endorph posted:

WHICH ONE, YOU MANIAC!?

All of them, also this game is very pretty and should be out in Euroland as soon as possible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

WHICH ONE, YOU MANIAC!?

if she has a humanoid butt she probably doesn't have a fish butt.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mordaedil posted:

if she has a humanoid butt she probably doesn't have a fish butt.

Clearly it's a fish-human cloaca that simplifies things. Nature runs the course of whatever works easier! :downs:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So if I liked Muramasa, this would be a good choice to get?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They're not really the same type of game, outside of 2d action. It's more if you liked the D&D side scrollers or side scrolling beat-em-ups, you'd probably like like Dragon's Crown.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ineffiable posted:

So if I liked Muramasa, this would be a good choice to get?

Anime golden axe with rpg elements. If you were good at muramasa you will be good at this. I always enjoy games that I'm good at.

I plan on getting the vita version and then the ps3 version a few weeks later when it's inevitably 20 dollars. That should give me time to complete the single player and then jump on the ps3 when I'm ready for multiplayer

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^^Beaten by this poster, sorta

Schubalts posted:

They're not really the same type of game, outside of 2d action. It's more if you liked the D&D side scrollers or side scrolling beat-em-ups, you'd probably like like Dragon's Crown.

More specifically, if you can drop an extra 15 bucks (or less, depending on how resourceful you are) on Steam or any of the console networks, get Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, and play Shadow Over Mystara specifically. That's basically the same idea of what Dragon's Crown is, except DC appears to have quite a few additional RPG elements which might be = "more replay value". We're talking one of the same head developers for both games. (Not playing Dragon's Crown down any, I am ultra-hyped for it)

Would others on this thread agree that DC is more on the Odin Sphere/Princess Crown side of things than Muramasa? I think so, so those are also valid options for getting an idea of the gameplay.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Would others on this thread agree that DC is more on the Odin Sphere/Princess Crown side of things than Muramasa? I think so, so those are also valid options for getting an idea of the gameplay.

Haven't played PC, but I can vouch for Odin Sphere looking much more similar to DC than Muramasa. I always felt that mobility was a lot more key to both offense and defense in Muramasa than OS, and DC looks to be less about flying around and more of positioning yourself well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is certainly closer to Odin Sphere. Odin Sphere's closer to a more style oriented beat 'em up than Muramasa, thankfully DC will not have OS' gimmicks that make the gameplay a bit problematic.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It is certainly closer to Odin Sphere. Odin Sphere's closer to a more style oriented beat 'em up than Muramasa, thankfully DC will not have OS' gimmicks that make the gameplay a bit problematic.

Yeah, the base mechanics for all the classes seem fairly balanced amongst each other, complete with limited resources/charge-up time/cooldown periods to take the edge off of excessively sustained DPS or burst damage.

The skills learned at the Adventurer's Guild remain to be seen regarding whether or not they're balanced too, and with dueling in the game, you know players are going to min-max combinations of them against each other.

Thankfully consoles can patch stuff in this day and age!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man mentioning Odin Sphere makes me want to play it again, that game ruled so much even with the slowdown. Then I remember it's awful levelling system and I change my mind.

Why Vanillaware? Whyyyyyy?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

Man mentioning Odin Sphere makes me want to play it again, that game ruled so much even with the slowdown. Then I remember it's awful levelling system and I change my mind.

Why Vanillaware? Whyyyyyy?

Do it like Spec Ops and set it on Easy; enjoy the art and melodrama. That's what I did when I didn't like a character's playstyle or wasn't in the mood to grind.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 20, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I liked Odin Sphere for the eating.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Based off what I saw for Dragon's Crown it's not so much eating as it is feasting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nftyw posted:

Based off what I saw for Dragon's Crown it's not so much eating as it is feasting.

It'd be the best mini-game ever if you could elbow your fellow adventurers out of the way while trying to stuff a chicken into a cauldron.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gannyGrabber posted:

Please put butts on everything, Vanillaware.

Put butts on everything, that despite being 2D butts, look like they've been skewed poorly in three-dimensions.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The street date broke in Japan so someone streamed the Vita version (direct feed) for a few hours earlier.

Here's the archive: http://www.twitch.tv/hamayama/b/434083566
- The Amazon has a dive kick.
- The Elf has what looks like a double jump.
- The Wizard has a teleport.
- The Fighter has flurry styled attacks and a backdash.
- Some of the AI controlled party members have questionable AI.
- The narrator and most of the ancillary characters are voiced in English.
- Getting hit too many times will knock your weapon out of your hands.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gyoru posted:

- The Elf has what looks like a double jump.

every time you hit a monster your jump gets reset. Most of her aerial attacks are jump cancel able. You can stay in the air indefinitely as long as there are things to hit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

every time you hit a monster your jump gets reset. Most of her aerial attacks are jump cancel able. You can stay in the air indefinitely as long as there are things to hit.

:stare: Can you dodge from the air? Air dash or a simple invincibility frame animation like in DmC?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

:stare: Can you dodge from the air? Air dash or a simple invincibility frame animation like in DmC?

The dev I was playing with said some characters have air dashes that are on separate counters from the jumps. Dodges do not have invulnerability frames, you have to fully dodge the attack. I know that some attacks do have interruptibility frames.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Seems pretty fun. The sorcerer is more badass than I expected. The harpy might be the worst monster design I've ever seen, though. It's up there with mermaid butt.

At least they know their audience. You can see how the streamer uses the touchscreen when the party chats with the mermaid. Ugh.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 22, 2013

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Nice footagNO SIGNAL. I wish this game was out already.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyoru posted:

- The Amazon has a dive kick.

GOTY

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

It's awesome too; IIRC it goes all the way across the screen and goes through multiple enemies. Like an even better version of Gwendolyn's diving spear, and that was basically her defining characteristic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Who cares about all that poo poo. What about the Dwarf? Dwarf Supremacy or nothing!

• Locked thread