Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The only thing my coworkers do is look at my gear and ask "Isnt it hot in all that? Its 100 degrees outside." To which I answer "Well yeah when youre at a stoplight, otherwise you dont notice."

If it 100 degrees out it's gonna be hot, whatever you wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The only thing my coworkers do is look at my gear and ask "Isnt it hot in all that? Its 100 degrees outside." To which I answer "Well yeah when youre at a stoplight, otherwise you dont notice."

They are so used to driving being something you have to suffer through they cant fathom riding being something to really enjoy regardless of what you are doing, even if its commuting.

People ask the same thing about driving topless and doorless in a Jeep in South Texas' summer. It's a minor thing to enjoy your ride instead of enduring it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Everyone who has talked to me about bikes has always said "that looks like so much loving fun"

It's also not too difficult to impress anyone around here since the only people with motorcycles are skid-lidded marines on CBR's in muscle tees. In a month I've seen exactly one person even wearing gloves, and that was a 50 year old man in full gear with ground-down pucks on a GSXR. He gets a pass. :shobon:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Xovaan posted:

Everyone who has talked to me about bikes has always said "that looks like so much loving fun"
I always get that with the "But I'd kill myself so I'm not going to try" follow-up. I've stopped even responding with anything more than "too bad", but I used to launch into how that fear is exactly what would keep them from killing themselves, etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They are so used to driving being something you have to suffer through they cant fathom riding being something to really enjoy regardless of what you are doing, even if its commuting.

Bizarrely I know quite a lot of bikers with a similar attitude to commuting too. "Oh it's too hot/cold/wet/boring", then complaining about a 4 hour drive in or being stuck in someones armpit for an hour on the Tube.

That's excluding the weekend warriors who tell you about how you're ruining your resale value by commuting. Yeah because I always consult my spreadsheets before I decide to ride.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I dunno, commuting kinda ruins the ride for me. When I ride I wanna go a long way to a place I haven't seen before or a nice road and I don't wanna sit in traffic, regardless of the weather.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, this is how my commute looks, 35 miles one way. So I don't sit in traffic much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno, commuting kinda ruins the ride for me. When I ride I wanna go a long way to a place I haven't seen before or a nice road and I don't wanna sit in traffic, regardless of the weather.

Well it's different if you're somewhere where you can't filter I suppose. Besides if you know what you're doing and are fairly lucky with your home and work locations commuting in London can be fantastic fun. Get the timings right down the Embankment and it's one of the most pleasant rides imaginable - river on one side, some of the few nice buildings on the other, more than enough sightlines that you don't feel much stressed.

Also if your route does suck there's still the traffic-light drag races, one of the best moments I ever had in biking was leading a pack of about 30 bikes round this bend after being caught in grinding traffic up to that point (which had kinda distilled all the bikes to the lights back on East Smithfield). Nearly decapitated myself on the post on that crossing though...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Even when commuting it's not hard to find 'that curve' or 'that passing zone' or something, which has no potential at all in a car, but can become magical with a twist of the wrist.

It also means the option of getting lost on the way home and exploring becomes a literally every-day thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, this is how my commute looks, 35 miles one way. So I don't sit in traffic much.

I want this commute :swoon:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My coworkers love to chidingly warble "Be Careful!..." or "Be safe out there!! <3" as I leave for the day with my helmet in hand. My standard retort is "Thanks Mom!!" although sometimes I go with "Ehhh, I'll think about it..."

I know they're just being nice, but I don't say "Be careful! My friend's mother's cousin died of heart disease" to their fat asses when I see them scarfing cheeseburgers at lunch after the morning frappucino/cinnamon roll breakfast routines.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Even when commuting it's not hard to find 'that curve' or 'that passing zone' or something, which has no potential at all in a car, but can become magical with a twist of the wrist.

It also means the option of getting lost on the way home and exploring becomes a literally every-day thing.

Truth. I have a 60 mile commute and while I do use the highway a lot I do look forward to the on/off ramps if nobody is in front of me getting off or changing highways just to get a good turn in here and there. I've also discovered ways to get to/from work without using the highway at all and in doing so have found some fantastic roads.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Unfortunately my commute is only 3.5 miles in Houston. Occasionally I won't wear full ATGATT...

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I always get that with the "But I'd kill myself so I'm not going to try" follow-up. I've stopped even responding with anything more than "too bad", but I used to launch into how that fear is exactly what would keep them from killing themselves, etc.

I call those kind of guys "too macho to ride", what with all their stories about how fast they would go if they were to actually get a bike.

A motorcyclist ex-girlfriend of mine would get a lot of those kinds of guys, it was like they had to come up with an an excuse why they didn't ride while a silly little girl did. As for me, I was happy to have a girlfriend who loved to ride but had her own drat bike.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Unfortunately my commute is only 3.5 miles in Houston. Occasionally I won't wear full ATGATT...
7 mile (one way) work commute in Austin. At least I get the on-ramps and the interchange between MoPac and 183 at 6:30AM :) I still get out on the weekends though.

Haven't heard much stupid poo poo other than getting flak from my neighbors for wearing gear. I think they're just mad because I might be waking them up every morning (I try not to though). At work we have about 6 people that ride daily and a few more every now and then so co-workers are down with it.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
My boss said my bike looked masculine. One of the ladies said she like my harley.

I ride a yamaha :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The good news is that, if normal people knew what bikes were like, they'd be banned.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Mine would be about two miles if I rode straight in. Most mornings it takes about half an hour though, living right next to the Yorkshire Dales has its bonuses!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's excluding the weekend warriors who tell you about how you're ruining your resale value by commuting. Yeah because I always consult my spreadsheets before I decide to ride.

gently caress those guys, they're the ones who keep awesome rides forever stuck in climate-controlled garages instead of riding or driving them and then trailer them to meets and shows so people can see how they don't use their rides properly. Then people get the horrible idea that old rides are only for looking at.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress those guys, they're the ones who keep awesome rides forever stuck in climate-controlled garages instead of riding or driving them and then trailer them to meets and shows so people can see how they don't use their rides properly. Then people get the horrible idea that old rides are only for looking at.

The dude who said that has a Street Triple. :ohdear:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The dude who said that has a Street Triple. :ohdear:

gently caress that guy even harder then.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I think if someone brought up the resale value thing like that (not that I ride a lot at the moment but I want that to change) I think I'd give them the most WTF look imaginable and say something along the lines of "I bought my bike ride, not to sell!".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I think if someone brought up the resale value thing like that (not that I ride a lot at the moment but I want that to change) I think I'd give them the most WTF look imaginable and say something along the lines of "I bought my bike ride, not to sell!".

Exactly, everything is about money for some people. Resale value, return on investment, depreciation. They forget that the entire idea is to have fun and not worry about those things.

It's like never having sex with your girlfriend, "to save her for the next guy". Compete bullshit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I know I'll have fun on any motorcycle so I plan around everything else. :colbert:

Then again I'm a soulless econ major

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KozmoNaut posted:

Exactly, everything is about money for some people. Resale value, return on investment, depreciation. They forget that the entire idea is to have fun and not worry about those things.

Even for those people, bikes depreciate differently from cars enough that, assuming the alternative isn't teleporting to work or some poo poo, and assuming you're not commuting on some unobtanium bespoke moto, your depreciation on whatever cage you're racking up miles in is likely to be higher than the bike's just sitting in the garage.

If you buy a new $8k bike it's only going to depreciate so far, and a huge chunk of that occurs when you take it off the dealer lot. Buy that more or less same bike used, for $5k? How far is it going to fall?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's because used bikes are durable goods. You can buy whatever you want and not have to worry about losing much money when you want to resell to have fun riding something else.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I always liked "You bought something that depreciates as an investment? You're like the worlds dumbest businessman."

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Around 2000 or 2001 I met a guy who had a 1990 CBR1000 with around 1000 miles on it. While it was a spectacular looking thing, I just couldn't help thinking about what a waste it was not to ride it. And that was his only bike, so it's not like he was riding something else and saving the CBR for special occasions. He was a nice enough guy, but I think he was just as baffled by my 150k+ mile FZR as I was by his nearly unused bike.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Depreciation is the greatest word in the English language...unless of course you are the guy that is buying it new. My bike is a 2006 Suzuki Katana 750, which I bought used in 2006. It had 400 miles on it. A guy had it for the "season" and decided he needed something with more power and traded it in. So he put 400 miles on it from, lets say, June to September, when I bought it, and that was enough to know that it was too whimpy for him. Works for me, I got a great deal on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

True. I bought my 2010 C14 in 2011 with 1000KMs on the clock (about 600 miles) and I saved almost $5K from new. Opposite from you though, it was just too much bike for the vertically challenged fellow that bought it new.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
IIRC Spifness was the third owner of a 2011 Street fighter in 2010.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

IIRC Spifness was the third owner of a 2011 Street fighter in 2010.

Yep. 2100 miles. Sold two years later for $800 less than I bought it for with 11k on the clocks.

Probably spent 2 grand defending myself against speeding tickets though so that was a wash.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
While grocery shopping I saw something pretty wtf. This older guy comes rolling up shirtless on a V-Max, wearing an expensive looking full face. The kicker is when he got up, (after putting a shirt on) he removed a Dora the Explorer pool tube out from under his rear end.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Gotta take care of the roids.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I hate it when my breaks fail

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Well only the rear break broked, but the front break would send them over the bars, killing both.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Dumb story. Even if his brakes failed, throttle was stuck open, the clutch cable broke, the kill switch was stuck, and the key was broken off in the ignition, he could have layer dan.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be TRUE LOVE, bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Abe Froman posted:

Dumb story. Even if his brakes failed, throttle was stuck open, the clutch cable broke, the kill switch was stuck, and the key was broken off in the ignition, he could have layer dan.

Also, even if all that failed, at 100mph I bet if you shut off the petcock it would run out of gas really quickly. But there was a building coming up fast right in the middle of that deserted road so he just had no choice!!!!

• Locked thread