Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
These pictures are pretty badass, click for gallery.

ZebraBlade has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ZebraBlade posted:

These pictures are pretty badass, click for gallery.

The link disappears when you timg a pic like that. Clicking just expands/contracts.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Now with more clickability.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dear Prudence posted:

Now with more clickability.

You have to middle-click a TIMG'ed picture.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Say Nothing posted:

Welcome to the 22nd century, aka Dubai.

When their oil runs out the gulf states are going to be hosed.

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010

Miltank posted:

When their oil runs out the gulf states are going to be hosed.

Their society is entirely based on a finite resource we're using irresponsibly. So, yeah, they are a pretty good representation of our future.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or if you're not an Emirati/rich foreigner.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

If you're going to post screenshots of Minecraft, could you at least let us know what texture pack it is?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A gentleman in Australia owns 3 Porsche 962s and rather than pay for a car transporter to the race track he

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

A gentleman in Australia owns 3 Porsche 962s and rather than pay for a car transporter to the race track he

He owns 3?! Is there a word that means both hate and unfathomable jealousy? The Germans probably have one...

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Solice Kirsk posted:

He owns 3?! Is there a word that means both hate and unfathomable jealousy? The Germans probably have one...

Of course they do.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

This is essentially forwarded email b.s. (the last paragraph, which is to say the badass part of it, is made up), check the snopes article

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Wookie Bouquet posted:

This is essentially forwarded email b.s. (the last paragraph, which is to say the badass part of it, is made up), check the snopes article

Yeah, and the really upsetting part is that the email forward version has the culprit's name changed to sound more scary and ethnic.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah, and the really upsetting part is that the email forward version has the culprit's name changed to sound more scary and ethnic.

Tyrone Jackson has to be the blackest black name that ever blacked.

The deed stands well enough on its own merit - guy tries to steal something, gets stopped by heroic bystanders. But then someone has to go and spin it so it's a "Heh, look at this black guy getting his rear end handed to him by a white guy - that'll learn 'em". :clint:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Snopes article posted:

...he was sentenced to life in prison...

Some jail time seems appropriate, but gently caress, even the Saudi's would think that was a little harsh.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Postal posted:

Some jail time seems appropriate, but gently caress, even the Saudi's would think that was a little harsh.

Snopes article posted:

(Attaway faced the maximum sentence on all assault and theft charges because he was a convicted felon with 30 arrests in his past.)

Some men, you just can't reach.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Some men just want to watch the world burn and also to have a new laptop.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

"And exactly how many times did he fall off the curb?"

"Oh, detective-inspector, it's all a bit of a blur. I lost count."

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
This guy

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bcb_1374620459

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This is so loving majestic, god drat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drat straight, one of our everyday heroes, right there.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

That's not quite accurate. The 3 factory team Porsches drove from the local Porsche dealership to Sandown racecourse for the 1984 Sandown 1000 race.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Homie S posted:

A little late, but there's a decent documentary on netflix instant called "3D Spies of WWII" that goes into a lot of detail on how overhead imagery and advances in the field helped the allies find German rocket launch sites and how they partly came to learn about the rockets in the first place. Really interesting stuff if you're into that.

Short interview on exactly what went on in deflecting the doodlebugs here

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hoopy Frood posted:

That's not quite accurate. The 3 factory team Porsches drove from the local Porsche dealership to Sandown racecourse for the 1984 Sandown 1000 race.

Thanks for the heads up, that's still bad rear end. I didn't bother to verify the claim I was told, I figured the quality was from someone on a camera phone zoomed way in because the big truck looked pretty modern.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Thanks for the heads up, that's still bad rear end. I didn't bother to verify the claim I was told, I figured the quality was from someone on a camera phone zoomed way in because the big truck looked pretty modern.

That picture isn't accurate, but there is a dude who restored a 917 and drove it in traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOE9sjsV15w

Year of the Monkey
Jun 16, 2013

I recognize that - Tasmania?

Edit: Yep, looks like it's the Totem Pole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfrxhpY6ZNw&hd=1&t=225s

Actually, just about any of Simon Carter's photos belong in this thread:

Year of the Monkey has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Jul 26, 2013

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Cow surfing is bad-rear end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What decade are you posting from again?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Siberian bear-hunting armor :black101:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crow Jane posted:

Darkwraith Kirk?

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
Purely psychological I imagine - getting close enough that the armor is likely come into play would likely mean death.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Boogan posted:

Purely psychological I imagine - getting close enough that the armor is likely come into play would likely mean death.

Maybe the idea is to run directly into the bears mouth?

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Crow Jane posted:

Anti bear hug armor? Or are you meant to be doing the hugging?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Boogan posted:

Perhaps the bear would be much less likely to actually strike, seeing all those spikes? It's not like it's particularly healthy for a wild animal to suffer the kind of wounds bashing its paws on those spikes would cause. Plus you probably have weapons as well. If you fall over, the spikes and the reinforcement around the neck also protect against the bear just biting the poo poo out of you, and the spikes everywhere else protect against stomping.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I suspect you'd get knocked around a little bit, and then the bear would realize the utter bullshit that is taking place and leave. So you'd be bruised, but very much alive.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

11b1p posted:

Anti bear hug armor? Or are you meant to be doing the hugging?
I heard this (most likely bullshit) story in relation to US grizzly bears that used to be roam the great plains before being driven into more mountainous/forest regions. Native Americans (Sioux I think in the story) would strap spikes to their chests and slowly approach the bear. The bear's primary method of attack was to grab and crush the target, the origin of the term "bear hug." The hug would obviously drive the spikes into the bear, killing them. Forgot who told it to me but it was definitely one of those "Listen to me because I'm a salty old man who knows this poo poo" type of thing. So naturally I assumed it was total bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bears are not boa constrictors. Their primary methods of killing are their claws, and their teeth.

It looks like a hug because you're tiny and getting mauled by a loving bear.

• Locked thread