Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
South East Asia Mega Thread - Pants? Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
End British tyranny:

http://bit.ly/18oskzB

quote:

BRIT DEATHS, HOSPITALISATIONS,
UP BY 31% IN THAILAND-

It’s that time of year again when the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office issues their annual ‘British Behaviour Abroad Report’.

It is of course a misnomer. Sounds like a school report on Brits abroad doesn’t it? I detect a little condescension. It sort of deflects from the real issue which is what does the Foreign Office do to and for British citizens abroad.

Well for a start they produce this report, a full seven months into the following year and of course a congratulatory message to Foreign Office staff from Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds:

“I am proud that our staff continues to offer vital support to thousands of British travellers and residents around the world.”

As far as Thailand is concerned the number of hospitalisations and deaths of Britons has gone up 31 per cent in a year.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

This one antibiotic. This one paracetamol. This one anti-inflammatory. Be sure to take all, na?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

This one antibiotic. This one paracetamol. This one anti-inflammatory. Be sure to take all, na?

"Uh...this one goes in yer butt."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ReindeerF posted:

The visa thing is a bit complex, but, yeah, get a multiple entry tourist visa from home. That'll get you 2 entries at 60 days + 30 each, which is 180. Voila, you've been in Thailand 6 months. If you want to stay longer than that, this is where your problems come in.

So I have to leave the country to reset the 60 days? I thought countries were cracking down on the blatant whole leave and come back thing. Like you have to leave for x amount of time for it to reset.

I know a lot countries if you overstay illegally you just get fined a couple hundred when you leave. But apparently Thailand is like $20 equivalent per day.

So how do I extend 30 days when I'm there?

Finch! posted:

You might be able to get an education visa. I got one for scuba diving. Get in touch with whatever school you decide to train with, and a Thai consulate or embassy. They give you three months at a time, but getting another three months is as simple as crossing a border and then coming back.

There are Muay Thai places on Koh Tao and Koh Phangan, too, and they probably offer more extracurricular activities than Samui.

I'll look into an education visa but the 60 days + 30 seems like it'll suffice.

And god damnit will people stop recommending places? There's so many to choose from! At first I was planning on Phucket. But really if any of you have trained there before and or have any recommendations on where to go please let me know. I'm not completely set on one place at all.

I want to train a lot and get some good experiences in but I don't want it to feel like a job. I also want to be a beach bum and do other hobbies/activies/water sports. Maybe volunteer a bit/teach English. And probably host couchsurfers. Ideally I'd like a small apartment walking distance to the beach and gym. Koh Samui seemed to be nice for that but I'll check out the others

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, an Ed-Visa is your solution for stays longer than 6 months. I swear they're going to kill this loophole by cracking down eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. Since the Samui archipelago is completely outside the boundaries of Thai law when it comes to pretty much everything short of murder (and sometimes even that!) I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow retained the ability to have Ed-Visas issued for fake schools there until the end of time.

EDIT: Oh and medical visas, but at this point I'm just doing donuts on random visa tips really.

I don't plan on staying for longer than 6 months but it's very much possible since I'll be unemployed and I'll have a good chunk of change saved up. I'm just trying to knockout some bucket list things before I jump back into the real world and I got nothing but time.

Rapsey posted:

If a gym looks good online, it might not be good once you get there. Definitely don't commit yourself to soon to one. Staff turnover, owners changing, lovely clientele, it's all a factor. Never train in gyms that sell water (surprisingly common) instead of just providing as much ice water as you need.

Any input on gyms or places? The one I'm looking is Lamai Muay Thai Camp (also called WMC) which someone mentioned in the martial arts thread. I poked around online and it seemed like a great place. Open to all suggestions, though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bottom line is like what Finch said plus something else. Either way, you can start on a tourist visa for 60 days face value per entry. This can be extended by 30 days per entry. If you get a multiple entry, you can get 60 days per entry plus 30 days extension per entry. If you extend on both entries, surrounding countries can be more hesitant to issue further tourist visas depending on country/consulate/embassy (Penang is famous for this). Still, if 180 days is the goal then this works.

If you want to stay longer than 180 days, or think you might, and there's a school of any kind involved, then you can (either now or once you arrive) apply for an Ed Visa from that school (or an MOE recognized school) at which time you can get an Ed Visa which is complicated, but basically allows you to stay longer with trips out of the country every 90 days.

If you have a Muay Thai school in mind and they're MOE recognized and money's not a huge issue, go this route just in case. If you're not sure yet, get the multiple entry tourist visa to start and figure it out once you're here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for the help!

Last question. Any problems entering on a one-way ticket? I've never had a problem entering a country before with one but just double checking.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Two answers:

1) If you have a visa ahead of time, absolutely not. That's what a visa does.

2) If you don't have a visa ahead of time, it really depends on your situation and carrier. I've mostly entered with a visa and I've been asked in Australia and The Philippines at those times about my status, with the implication that I wouldn't be allowed to board otherwise. One time, I didn't have a visa heading in as I was opening a company after arrival and the departure ticket agent in Chicago asked me about it. I managed to lean past her, push the buttons on the screen while blabbering and sail through, but it can be a problem. The rationale is that if you show up without permission to enter, the airline is responsible for your deportation cost, so they're increasingly concerned.

Bottom line, if you have a visa, don't worry about it. If you don't have a visa, you might get through fine. If you don't have a visa and are worried, buy (or fake) an Air Asia ticket out of the country, if you don't have a legit ticket you can buy.
EDIT: An increasingly affordable option is the Lao Central flight to VTE. I wouldn't actually fly on a SSJ100, but it's a $35 ticket.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Christoff posted:

Any input on gyms or places? The one I'm looking is Lamai Muay Thai Camp (also called WMC) which someone mentioned in the martial arts thread. I poked around online and it seemed like a great place. Open to all suggestions, though.
I trained in Chiang Mai so I can't personally recommend any camps in the south. I definitely would not settle in one for more than a week before trying a few. I know Phuket has some really good gyms, but I completely forgot the names.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wherever Lee Aldhouse trained. That's the place.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Who's our resident Vietnam goon again?

During this season (August) if I were to such it up and pay for the $750 ticket to Vietnam from Seoul, would I want to be in Hanoi or Saigon? You know if I was already sick of my own rainy season. I refuse to pay the $1000 usd price for Bali.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Are you flexible with your dates in August? If you really wanted to go to Bali AirAsia does have some reasonable flights to Bali from Seoul, around the same price you had budgeted for Vietnam.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Another easy way to fake a departure ticket is to book a cheapie one on Expedia or some other site that offers free cancellations in first 24 hours like United, then immediately cancel it. I've had buyer's remorse on both sites before and it was easy enough to cancel.

If using Expedia, make sure it's not an AirAsia ticket that you're buying/cancelling because you cannot cancel an AirAsia ticket.

Then, just print out the first email they send you confirming your flight and bring it when you go check in.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tomato Soup posted:

Another easy way to fake a departure ticket is to book a cheapie one on Expedia or some other site that offers free cancellations in first 24 hours like United, then immediately cancel it. I've had buyer's remorse on both sites before and it was easy enough to cancel.

If using Expedia, make sure it's not an AirAsia ticket that you're buying/cancelling because you cannot cancel an AirAsia ticket.

Then, just print out the first email they send you confirming your flight and bring it when you go check in.

I really like this idea (:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

imnotinsane posted:

Are you flexible with your dates in August? If you really wanted to go to Bali AirAsia does have some reasonable flights to Bali from Seoul, around the same price you had budgeted for Vietnam.

I can't be, my vacation days are pre assigned. The only flexibility I have is choosing less vacation time within the same period.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

Who's our resident Vietnam goon again?
Senso, though I think someone else has moved there recently.

DontAskKant posted:

During this season (August) if I were to such it up and pay for the $750 ticket to Vietnam from Seoul, would I want to be in Hanoi or Saigon? You know if I was already sick of my own rainy season. I refuse to pay the $1000 usd price for Bali.
Have you hosed around on FlyerTalk and those forums? If you're looking for obscure routes they often have the goods since they're basically all un-diagnosed OCD cases. I think that's how I found the Air France BKK-PNH leg that was the cheapest at the time. Bangkok's a lot easier to get connections like this through than Seoul, though, due to its regional hub-ness. Still, you might give it a shot. There may be some kooky route out there that's not published, like the rear end end of a KLM leg that you can pick up for peanuts out of BKK or something.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Senso, though I think someone else has moved there recently.

It's me but I am passing the torch to Play, who will hold the fort when I leave in 3 weeks.

DontAskKant posted:

I can't be, my vacation days are pre assigned. The only flexibility I have is choosing less vacation time within the same period.

It's the monsoon season right now in Saigon, but it's not so bad, a few hour of rains every few days. But Hanoi is boring and all the fun is in Saigon. Really.

If you come here before August 17, you might see me. Tell andro to come too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Senso posted:

It's me but I am passing the torch to Play, who will hold the fort when I leave in 3 weeks.

It's the monsoon season right now in Saigon, but it's not so bad, a few hour of rains every few days. But Hanoi is boring and all the fun is in Saigon. Really.

If you come here before August 17, you might see me. Tell andro to come too.

Better than rain all day. I had heard good things about Hanoi. Hmm. Andro will definitely have the time. Jerk has 4x the summer vacation I do.

How soon will I need the visa?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ok which of you writes for Cracked.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Hanoi and the north is good for 9 days. I love Saigon but unless you want to spend 9 days drinking all day with a really lame daylong Mekong tour thrown in, there's not much else for a visitor to do. North and Central VN have a lot more excursions and destinations outside of HCM and Hanoi. Hanoi in July is ridiculously hot, though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I object to this. Thailand is the international hub of Hitlery. It's typical Western ignorance lumping us in with countries like India.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

I object to this. Thailand is the international hub of Hitlery. It's typical Western ignorance lumping us in with countries like India.
Is there a metric for this? How many picohitlers make a decahitler? What is Thailand's annual output of Hitler?

We need to call in some of those German efficiency consultants.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
By every known metric we have reached peak Hitler.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
No! We must fit in more Hitler! Surely we can produce a concentrated version... perhaps at some sort of camp...

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

No! We must fit in more Hitler! Surely we can produce a concentrated version... perhaps at some sort of camp...

Screw "Funny Summer Camp" I know my next Kinder camp theme...

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Does anyone know of a good, CHEAP place to stay on Samui? I'm just going to be there one night. I'll have my motorbike (driving to the ferry myself) so it doesn't really matter where on Samui it is. Just as long as it's cheap (preferably less than 800 for a double room).

Thanks

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Screw "Funny Summer Camp" I know my next Kinder camp theme...
This year's Fancy Dress Night theme is "Kindernacht" boys and girls!

Shnicker posted:

Does anyone know of a good, CHEAP place to stay on Samui? I'm just going to be there one night. I'll have my motorbike (driving to the ferry myself) so it doesn't really matter where on Samui it is. Just as long as it's cheap (preferably less than 800 for a double room).

Thanks
This will not be a problem on Samui. If you're on a motorbike, just drive to any remote shithole between major beaches that's not a resort and it'll be dirt cheap. Low season!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Crazy idea, what if I add like $60 to the ticket and fly in to Hanoi then to Saigon and then back to Seoul. 4 days in each city instead of 9 in one? Or do one of them and then add Phnom Penh, but that's like $160 more and I'm not sure that's worth it especially with getting a different visa.

I suppose I should look at what's available to do at this time of the year. I just kind of assumed there would be interesting things around besides food. I suppose it being the rainy season and all I shouldn't attempt to ride a scooter for the first time. Da Nang is the beach area, not HCM or Hanoi?

Part of this trip is to get a feel for cities to find a new place to live, kind of did the same thing last year with Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore. Only Hong Kong seemed like a place I could live and would also have jobs for me.

Is AirB&B used down there? I would love to find the flat of someone who cooks and just go to the market and play around too, all the Viet ingredients here in Korea are 5-20x the price.

e: I've been practicing my steely resolve and thick skin on the Korean old style markets where I'm the only person under 40 and definitely the only white person. Having 'disagreements' over bitter melon where the 60 year old lady is screaming at me and I'm arguing back in broken Korean. I've heard Vietnam is rough, but is it rough for SE Asia or rough for Northeast Asia? The haggling in Siem Reap and Kuala Lumpur was always well mannered and rather pleasant by comparison.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 20, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

e: I've been practicing my steely resolve and thick skin on the Korean old style markets where I'm the only person under 40 and definitely the only white person. Having 'disagreements' over bitter melon where the 60 year old lady is screaming at me and I'm arguing back in broken Korean. I've heard Vietnam is rough, but is it rough for SE Asia or rough for Northeast Asia? The haggling in Siem Reap and Kuala Lumpur was always well mannered and rather pleasant by comparison.
The Vietnamese are on another planet compared to the rest of the Mekong region when it comes to aggressive behavior. The goal in the rest of this area is for everyone to come out smiling, even if someone gets stuck a bit. The Vietnamese are considerably more aggressive, something the Khmer, Thai and Laos people will tell you. Some of that's down to ethnic rivalry, but it was definitely my experience.

On a random note, I was in Soi Furniture buying doors for the new condo last week with my special lady friend and her uncle, who is an old school Thai-Chinese developer (he was there for buying builder poo poo expertise). The haggling was hilarious, with everyone laughing and pushing and cajoling and pantomiming absolute disgust and the whole deal. It's actually entertaining here. At one point, the lady points to me (I can make out enough Thai to follow most non-technical things like this) and says, "Well the white guy's paying, right?" which is the cue that I've accidentally poisoned negotiations by being there and looking white (i.e. MUST HAVE MONEY). Uncle and Special Lady Friend are considerably wealthier than my family, which makes it even better. Like old school Thai-Chinese they don't let on and, without missing a beat, Uncle turns to me and says, "This white guy? He's the driver!" and pantomimes a driving motion and everyone cracks up - at which point I spat out, "It's true, I'm the driver - you need the car, boss?" I really just wanted to tell that story, but the point is that even among the most Thai-Chinese, hardcore bargainers imaginable it's still fun. The Vietnamese are another story altogether.

DontAskKant posted:

Da Nang is the beach area, not HCM or Hanoi?
The VN goons will know better, but my experience was that Da Nang was an industrial shithole with a few beaches out past the cliffs (e.g. China Beach). Nha Trang gets poo poo on a lot here, but that was my favorite coastal place in Vietnam. I'm sure things have changed a lot since I went, though.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 20, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My favorite TripAdvisor review ever up to this point:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293940-d4067578-r167797476-Garage_Bar-Phnom_Penh.html

quote:

“Dead kitten in the bar”

Had dinner here tonight. some regular brought his dog in to show off to his friends. He then went out the front with his dog which started going mental I went to check it out. He opened the door and brought the dog inside with a kitten in its jaw. Then left a dyeing kitten inside the restaurant like it was no big deal. It was gruesome. Burger tasted pretty taint before that and I certainly wasn't going to finish it after that.to the owner it was a grey dog and I know you must know the dog owner. What the hell,
Owner's response:

quote:

I can fortunately report that the kitten was not in fact killed, a customer took care of it and it's fine. An unfortunate and bizarre incident nonetheless, but certainly not a typical Garage experience I can assure you. The dog and its owner have been appropriately advised.

As for the burger, our 200g burger is pre-cooked sous vide in a precisely temperature controlled water bath to exactly 136F (medium rare) for two full hours. It is indeed pink but never undercooked using this method.
loving Phnom Penh lol.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

My favorite TripAdvisor review ever up to this point:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293940-d4067578-r167797476-Garage_Bar-Phnom_Penh.html
Owner's response:
loving Phnom Penh lol.
You're supposed to be making me NOT want to spend the extra $120 to fly over there. Though I am skeptical of a 2 hour sous vide time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dude cooks good food! Between kitten murders, of course.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That Cracked article really deals up some fresh Hitler for our consumption:

quote:

Proving you really can get anything at a 7-Eleven, a Taiwanese branch of the convenience store chain came under fire in 2011 when it began selling key rings, USB cards, and magnets depicting Hitler from an alternate universe where he was bit by Dracula and forced to sell insurance into his middle age.

Ummm if he's a vampire how would he get to middle age?? Idiots.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

"" posted:

The menu carries an Indonsian dish rechristened "Nazi goreng".]
:downsrim:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Play posted:

Ummm if he's a vampire how would he get to middle age?? Idiots.
Also vegetarianism would be a challenge.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

How the gently caress did they miss the chance to call it Nazi Göring?

like honestly I am way more mad at that then the whole Nazi theme

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 21, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I think I saw a girl with a SS-themed skirt in the airport in Shanghai. I thought of this thread when I saw her <3

DontAskKant posted:

They take foreigner pricing to a new level in Vietnam and they're shameless about it. I was sitting with some locals and one was drinking some nuoc mia, I asked him how much he paid (5000 dong) so I go order one. Nope, 10000 for me because I'm white. The local just shrugs and tells me to get him to order for me next time.

I met an expat in Da Nang who says that he doesn't even bother with the local markets anymore because they still tried to rip him off after a year of living there and gets his Vietnamese maid to do the shopping for him. Even with the pay for the maid factored in, he saved more by having the maid do the shopping.

Da Nang the city is kind of meh (but go eat at Bread of Life, it's loving amazing and you're supporting a good cause) but the beach is good. Hoi An is pretty nice too, the old town is great and the beach is nearby too. Nha Trang wasn't bad either. I didn't like Mui Ne much, the sand flies ate me alive there :mad:

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

How the gently caress did they miss the chance to call it Nazi Göring?

like honestly I am way more mad at that then the whole Nazi theme

I can't remember the last time I was shocked or appalled by a Nazi themed anything. I get angrier at tuk tuk drivers making that obscene ping pong show noise at me when I walk past.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Got it, get Vietnam friends for Hanoi and Saigon. That's disappointing, I expect a little bit of a foreigner price, but 2x is where I get annoyed. When I go to a new market in Korea, I wait behind the Koreans and see what price they are getting and then demand the same and will accept a little higher if they seemed especially friendly with each other or walk off and it works half the time. Got it in certain neighborhoods in the states too. In Siem Reap I saw some that were so much higher so as to be more expensive than in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

You might get lucky though, I've had people relent and just give stuff to me at the proper price before when I got mad at them because I knew the price due to seeing others pay. One time I was mistaken and ended up getting a discount where I shouldn't have :v: I feel sort of bad about that, I thought the guy front of me bought an ice cream cone (he actually got a cheaper popsicle) so I tried to pay the same amount he did and picked a fight when they demanded more. This was at a rip off rest stop so I don't feel too guilty.

And 5000 dong is about 25 cents, 10000 is 50 cents. So my example wasn't that awful really. But it starts to add up after a while.