Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

hypersleep posted:

This blog post is yet more proof that men look 110% more badass if they have a well-kept beard. I don't understand the trend of Western men looking increasingly effeminate this past decade. I'm sure teen girls are into effeminate boys, but all of the women I know, 25 and over, don't find effeminate men (even celebrities) attractive. Maybe it's a regional thing. I dunno.

Anyway, I thought the finale was great. The writers/producers fought the urge to go out with a bang, and instead of any battles, we got an atmospheric slow-burn episode where a lot of stuff actually did happen. Relationships ate changing, alliances are changing, war is coming. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

Body hair rules (except on the back)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

doctor 7 posted:

(except on the back)

:sigh:

Why am I cursed so.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

hypersleep posted:

This blog post is yet more proof that men look 110% more badass if they have a well-kept beard. I don't understand the trend of Western men looking increasingly effeminate this past decade. I'm sure teen girls are into effeminate boys, but all of the women I know, 25 and over, don't find effeminate men (even celebrities) attractive. Maybe it's a regional thing. I dunno.
Attraction is subjective and personal, and some ladies find visible lips + jawlines hot. Ya'll gotta deal. :colbert:

I can see how this episode might be unsatisfying as a finale for some, but viewed as its own installment, in no way was it disappointing or boring. As much as I love when the show takes the opportunity to weave Viking culture into the narrative, it is most beautiful to me when it gets experimental with editing and music, and the last third of the episode (as in Uppsala) transcends what I expect from a historical drama. And I liked the parallels of the sacrificial blood drawn down the face, both Lagertha drawing the line down her right cheek and Ragnar down his left.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Admiral Bosch posted:

That said, the woman that plays Aslaug is easily one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.

Agreeing with this post. Kind of liked the finale myself, what a plague isn't hardcore enough for people? Ragnar lost a daughter and nearly a slave and servant. I admit the series would have been better paced overall if they had resolved some plot threads at the finale instead of starting whole new ones though, but it remains to be seen how quickly they follow through on this next season.

doctor 7 posted:

Body hair rules (except on the back)

So long as it's only not on the back, even pelt-like coverage is okay? :toot:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Deadpool posted:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/04/the-cast-of-historys-vikings-all-cleaned-up/

Floki's 'cleaned up' picture is amazing. He was the only one of the main cast I had no frame of reference for before the show and that picture is amazing.

I like how Vladimir Kulich somehow manages to look more badass in the 'cleaned up' pic.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

HenessyHero posted:

I also get my grooming advice from a bunch of dudes on the internet who are into vikings

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Conquistador posted:

:sigh:

Why am I cursed so.

You and me both, buddy

:smith:

HenessyHero posted:

Sadly no.

As someone mentioned beauty is subjective. Some women/men like hairy chests, some don't. I think hairless/shaved chests look odd but then again I'm hairy so I'm biased.

That said even women who like hairy chests and hairy men usually draw the line at hairy backs I'm afraid. I'm sure there are people out there who like them but they're definitely in a minority, not goatse fetish minority but small nonetheless.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 2, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

doctor 7 posted:

That said even women who like hairy chests and hairy men usually draw the line at hairy backs

Anecdotal evidence suggests this to be true in every case except one

And that girl was a loving freak.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure there's a sizeable percentage of people who don't give a flying gently caress (including yours truly) because well you don't need to like it to not be put off by it or anything?

Gyges posted:

I like how Vladimir Kulich somehow manages to look more badass in the 'cleaned up' pic.

I'm freaked out by how much younger everybody except Vlad looks. Seriously that Knut guy is like 15 :psyduck:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sash! posted:

Floki looks like some nerd that designs furniture for Ikea and lives in a house where everything is white and angular.

That, or someone that would gladly murder you and make lampshades out of your tanned hide. There's something... off... about that picture and his little half smile.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

That said, the woman that plays Aslaug is easily one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.
Then you should track down the international cut of this episode. She's nude in it :)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DS at Night posted:

I'm freaked out by how much younger everybody except Vlad looks. Seriously that Knut guy is like 15 :psyduck:

Their makeup emphasizes the creases and hollows around the eyes in the show; in the professional photos and interviews the actors are no doubt wearing makeup that hides exactly that. Their real-life faces probably look somewhere in between in terms of age.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheRealGunde posted:

Then you should track down the international cut of this episode. She's nude in it :)

Full frontal? I download the episodes from iTunes and it showed her naked from the back, but no visible butt.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Sash! posted:

everything is white and angular.

That's a pretty good description of Sweden really. :downsrim:

Was also wondering about the international version. Surely there's some non-pg cut out there for the non-history channel audiences?

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007
In the international version (I watched it on HBO Nordic) she shows breasts and butt in the bathing scene.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Between this and the GoT thread, I guess we can only make it to Thursday before its rear end and titty time.

Except this Sunday we don't get any new rear end and titties :( I believe the only appropriate course of action is to pillage the GoT thread next week :black101:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It would be cool if Gustaf Skarsgård managed to convince his dad Stellan to do an episode since he looked pretty drat :black101: in King Arthur .

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lord Tywin posted:

It would be cool if Gustaf Skarsgård managed to convince his dad Stellan to do an episode since he looked pretty drat :black101: in King Arthur .

Oh, they are related. I was half beginning to think that Skarsgård was like the Swedish version of Jones.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ChickenMedium posted:

Oh, they are related. I was half beginning to think that Skarsgård was like the Swedish version of Jones.

Gustaf and Alex Skarsgard (True Blood, Generation Kill) are Stellan's sons. They have another brother who's an actor but he hasn't been in much.

Alex looks pretty good as a Viking as well:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The third brother, Bill Skarsgård, is the lead in Hemlock Grove. He's a really loving weird/creepy looking dude.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Nah, pretty much all the most common names in Scandinavia are Patronymic ending with sen in Denmark and Norway and sson in Sweden. Stellan also have seven sons of which Four are working as actors.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
I feel like we haven't spent enough time talking about how pretty Athelstan is :allears:

I loved the way they used his hair to mark the passing of time, up to and including

:stare:

(The actor actually did quite a sweet interview about this;

quote:

STV: So episode 8, you get a great new haircut.
George: Yes, which everyone has had a bit of a problem with.

STV: I didn’t have a problem at all, what I saw it as, and maybe you can confirm this, is Athelstan trying to fit in with everyone else.
George: Yes, it’s exactly that and we had a long chat with the hair and makeup department, and I said listen, if this much time has passed, this is what will have happened to his hair and this is what will have happened to his face if he’s trying to fit in. And I’m not fussed about looking like a cool Viking, I wanted to look how Athelstan should look, so kind of for character reasons and trying to fit in.

STV: I think it made sense.
George: Right, and it’s right that he looked like a bit of a Muppet cause that’s kind of what happens when you try and fit in. It’s like when you’re a kid and you’re trying to wear that cool new hoodie that the cool kid in school has got and you can’t quite wear it as cool as him but you’re trying really hard.

STV: He just wants to be one of the guys, he wants to fit in.
George: Yeah, exactly!

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
That bit in the last episode about 'arrive dressed, yet not dressed'... I swear I heard it in some fairytale or legend or something, which was most definitely not Nordic. Mythos experts?

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

machinegunmessiah posted:

That bit in the last episode about 'arrive dressed, yet not dressed'... I swear I heard it in some fairytale or legend or something, which was most definitely not Nordic. Mythos experts?

That is how those two characters met in Norse myth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that's why I commented on it. It's exactly the same as it was in the Ragnar myth.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

It reminds me of a bunch of old Slavic fables where hero/ine is tested by a fay or someone else with great power, and he has to fulfill three contradictory requests, but that specific one with dressed/not dressed doesn't pop to mind

There's a fable "Maiden outwits the Tsar" where a tsar asks a peasant girl to do three impossible things (eg empty the sea using a cup) and, when she outwits him, he ends up marrying her

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Found this series earlier this week, after watching a couple of episodes I starded to like it. Great battle scenes and quite a good story. I know it's not trying to be completely historically accurate but the episode where they go to Uppsala, I just couldn't take it seriously. First they walk from Norway to Uppsala (thats a really long walk through forest, mountains and nothing else), then when they arrive, the camera shows the most non-uppsala looking place in scandinavia...
It's called the Uppsala plains for a reason. :sweden:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
people want to see trees and waterfalls and somewhere special looking. Not a mile after mile of the flattest place in the world.

It looked gorgeous and it made me want to be a Viking.... sold me.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

notsowelp posted:

I feel like we haven't spent enough time talking about how pretty Athelstan is :allears:

I loved the way they used his hair to mark the passing of time, up to and including

:stare:

(The actor actually did quite a sweet interview about this;

I remember that and I'm like - it's more of Bladgen's forehead, no big, deal he's still a pretty twinky lad - I like dudes with miles of forehead space :3 His twitter is also the embodiment of :allears:

Word is that they will be commencing filming season 2, out 2014 very soon/have started all ready if the feverish weirdos on tumblr are to be believed.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
The show is casting for extras here in Dublin tomorrow. Look out for an extremely goon looking Viking in season 2. Unless I fail :smith:

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Rocksicles posted:

people want to see trees and waterfalls and somewhere special looking. Not a mile after mile of the flattest place in the world.

It looked gorgeous and it made me want to be a Viking.... sold me.

Yeah I get that it's more about cool settings than the actual historical place. Just annoyed me since a live 15 minutes away from the temple site, the old kings burialmounds and runestones. I had kind of hoped that they would take the real place and make it like it was during the viking age.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
A touch late, but that dog is either a Giant Alaskan Malamute or a Finnish Lapphund mixed with Chow. Slight possibility it's just a derpy-looking purebred Malamute that they just did a crazy blow-out on as well, but Mally / Chow mix is the safe bet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fader Movitz posted:

Yeah I get that it's more about cool settings than the actual historical place. Just annoyed me since a live 15 minutes away from the temple site, the old kings burialmounds and runestones. I had kind of hoped that they would take the real place and make it like it was during the viking age.

take some photos for us goons? I drove past it once in a truck with my da, but i didnt know it was there till years later when he told me...

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I don't want to wait till 2014... Anyways I loved vikings and I don't watch TV much at all. But I made an exception when I heard vikings in the name alone. Wish they would of played some amon amarth but the traditional folk is great to.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
I would have liked to hear some Amon Amarth as well. But since the show is a drama it wouldn't be very fitting.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Well when the saxans attacked when they where checking the chests for payments might of been good. But ya the context might be out of place.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dagnabbit DON'T watch the comicon trailer for season 2, it's a loving huge spoiler. Just watched it thinking it was a short lead in to an interview.

fucks sake.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Rocksicles posted:

Dagnabbit DON'T watch the comicon trailer for season 2, it's a loving huge spoiler. Just watched it thinking it was a short lead in to an interview.

fucks sake.

The first thing I did was watch the trailer after seeing this and holy poo poo it's no lie. Stay away from it.

In the meantime here's a comic con interview with Katheryn Winnick and that Travis dude. The hosts don't deserve to be in the same room as her. :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmsk6X54Scg

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Erghh posted:

The first thing I did was watch the trailer after seeing this and holy poo poo it's no lie. Stay away from it.

In the meantime here's a comic con interview with Katheryn Winnick and that Travis dude. The hosts don't deserve to be in the same room as her. :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmsk6X54Scg

Ugh, you weren't kidding about those hosts. Total dipshits and awful interviewers, too.

The trailer is totally badass despite being spoilery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That trailer is spoilery as gently caress (or at least it's made to look that way) but it's also the best "poo poo Gets Real" trailer I've ever seen. If you're not pumped for season two after seeing that then I don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread