Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

wa27 posted:

In regards to face-hugging-type enemies, I love the logic behind getting them off. They're supposed to be covering your face but typically you can just shoot (or kick) them off.

I'm playing Duke 3D again and those things still scare me, mainly because you have no idea one is attached to you until it starts coming up from the bottom of the screen. Whenever I see a bunch of those unhatched eggs, I waste all my ammo on my current gun because there's no way I'm giving them a chance to hatch.

AVP Classic is seriously the loving worst about those kinds of enemies.

The reasons why the original facehuggers are complete bastards in it are such:

- They're a one hit kill unless you're a Predator, then (if I remember correctly) you just walk around with it on your face making GBS threads your pants in fear until it falls off.
- They're extremely hard to see. They're honestly smaller than they were in the movies, and the places that they're put in the game are deliberately set up so that you won't notice them until "SKREEEEEEE"
- There's no visual tell for them. Duke 3D had slimer eggs. AVP2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines (I can't speak for Alien Trilogy or AVP2010) had alien eggs. AVP Classic has nothing, they just pop up whenever the level designer wanted to add a gently caress-you.
- They don't come up from the bottom of the screen or even jump at you like in Alien Trilogy, you just brush up against one and "SKREEEEEEEEE" ":stonk: GET ME NEW UNDERWEAR"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You just mentioned AvP Classic, and I noticed that Alien versus Predator (versus because vs is the 2010 game) got released on 1999 and is not on this thread and it has a great release on Steam for cheap, easy to play and working on modern computers.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Guillermus posted:

You just mentioned AvP Classic, and I noticed that Alien versus Predator (versus because vs is the 2010 game) got released on 1999 and is not on this thread and it has a great release on Steam for cheap, easy to play and working on modern computers.

It's in the OP. Doesn't have a detailed writeup, but it never had much of a community from what I can tell so that's not shocking.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Guillermus posted:

DNF after some patching is manageable (I'm a diehard Duke fan and I still enjoyed it). Carrying four weapons, adjustable FoV and some performance fixes made it slightly better wich gives gearbox some credit. What is sad is that multiplayer was actually fun, fast paced and enjoyable but was dead after the first week.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV I need to check it but if i remember correctly they added keybinds for fast access, not only cycling. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

DNF is alive at late nights, I have fun blasting Quebecois and guys from France with the rocket launcher. :getin:

AVP 2000's Marine and Alien layout is confusing as poo poo. I got lost for two hours after activating the generator in the Marine campaign. And I'm still lost.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Here's a question for Blood modders: why did the BPF guy edit two of the Tiles files? He adds several, why was it necessary to edit those two?

Guillermus posted:

As WickedIcon said, it's at the bottom of the second post, in the "All the Rest" section. There should be a couple fixes to that section, SiN isn't available on Steam anymore, for instance, and I'd think that ECWolf should get a mention in the Wolf3D section. The fact that you can now get RotT and Blake Stone on Steam as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

It's in the OP. Doesn't have a detailed writeup, but it never had much of a community from what I can tell so that's not shocking.

catlord posted:

As WickedIcon said, it's at the bottom of the second post, in the "All the Rest" section. There should be a couple fixes to that section, SiN isn't available on Steam anymore, for instance, and I'd think that ECWolf should get a mention in the Wolf3D section. The fact that you can now get RotT and Blake Stone on Steam as well.

You both right, is been some time since I checked the OP that I forgot sorry. :doh:

Talking about DNF multiplayer reminds me that I cannot wait for Duke Nukem Megaton Edition to get its multiplayer part working. Shadow Warrior got a Steam release with a facelift too but is like we'll never have a Blood source port :sigh:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm surprised it isn't possible to reverse-engineer Blood using the other Build games we have source code for. I mean, unless it's deliberately obfuscated to prevent that, but I've seen crazier poo poo happen for games with much less devoted fanbases.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Trip report on the mouse look in Shadow Warrior Redux: about on par with eduke, but no where near as good as a decent Doom source port. Very much worth it over the Dos version though.

Lurdiak posted:

or was teenage me easily impressed by shooters that had actual 3D instead of disorienting, slightly nauseating fake pixely 3D?
It's probably this.

Pretty much my only memory of that game is getting to the end of one of it's 20+ minute missions on hard and getting insta killed by the exit door. :unsmigghh:

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

catlord posted:

Here's a question for Blood modders: why did the BPF guy edit two of the Tiles files? He adds several, why was it necessary to edit those two?

You can probably get an answer from the creator here:
http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

User: Wangho

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WickedIcon posted:

I'm surprised it isn't possible to reverse-engineer Blood using the other Build games we have source code for. I mean, unless it's deliberately obfuscated to prevent that, but I've seen crazier poo poo happen for games with much less devoted fanbases.

Oh, it is possible. Randy Heit of ZDoom fame allegedly did most of the work (at least for identifying the various data structures used by the game), but lost it in a harddrive crash. Lucius of DXL fame also reverse-engineered parts of it, and he apparently has the chops needed to reverse engineer the rest once he gets back to BloodXL (he still has to finish the beta version of DarkXL and DaggerXL first, though).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't necessarily mean for its own source port, I just mean for the sake of bashing it into working with eDuke or one of the JonoF Build source ports.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

I don't necessarily mean for its own source port, I just mean for the sake of bashing it into working with eDuke or one of the JonoF Build source ports.

The biggest issues are really Blood's strange map file format and the version of the BUILD engine it is using, unlike a lot of other BUILD engine games it doesn't use the somewhat convenient .grp file format it uses a more annoying individual .map system coupled with .dat and .rff files for all of its other resources leading to the issue where you can't just directly pull all the information from one convenient package

It also uses (I believe) BUILD version 4.0 with some neat little things hacked into it to do things that the mappers and programmers felt it needed, so you can't just directly pull from that BUILD version itself either

Keep in mind that I'm not exactly a Programmer so I might have screwed some of this info up, but thats kinda the basic jist of why Blood is really drat annoying to port

Also, to keep with the BUILD engine talk, have some links to James "shade" Wilson and Richard "levelord" Gray's doom levels

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 20, 2013

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Horse Mans Doom Level Reviews.

Review 1: City of the Damned Apocalypse. A good level. Mostly it made me want to play Blood. Great atmosphere. I honestly didn't mind the key hunt. The suspense of not knowing what doors you've accidentally opened up made even backtracking a frightening ordeal.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In celebration of my ROTT 2013 pre-order, I have spare GOG keys for:

• Rise of the Triad: Dark War
  • Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
  • Blake Stone: Planet Strike

PM me if you're interested! Only one per person, so let me know which one you want.

e: all gone!

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not sure if this really counts as "early", but does anyone know how to get the Disc version of Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil to run at ultra settings? No matter what I do it resets back to loving 640 * 480 and that's just not acceptable.

I created a config file with the Doom3 Tweaker, and got that to work for the original game, but I can't seem to get it to work for the expansion pack. It is seeing the file, it's given my marine the name I specified in the Doom3 Tweaker, but the resolution is not cooperating and I forget how to make it work.

EDIT: Ah, wizardry:

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectRatio "2"

finally did it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 20, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Convex posted:

In celebration of my ROTT 2013 pre-order, I have spare GOG keys for:

• Rise of the Triad: Dark War
  • Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
  • Blake Stone: Planet Strike

PM me if you're interested! Only one per person, so let me know which one you want.
That's a point - I pre-ordered ROTT 2013 through GOG as well, so how do I go about getting my hands on my own set of keys?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's on the confirmation email you get after ordering.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Convex posted:

It's on the confirmation email you get after ordering.
I wish I'd known that before I wiped my inbox. Bugger.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not sure if this really counts as "early", but does anyone know how to get the Disc version of Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil to run at ultra settings? No matter what I do it resets back to loving 640 * 480 and that's just not acceptable.

I created a config file with the Doom3 Tweaker, and got that to work for the original game, but I can't seem to get it to work for the expansion pack. It is seeing the file, it's given my marine the name I specified in the Doom3 Tweaker, but the resolution is not cooperating and I forget how to make it work.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/doom-3

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I created a config file with the Doom3 Tweaker

Oh god, they actually called that tool the Doom 3 Tweaker? That's awesome.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Thank you, it was the seta r_aspectRatio "2" part that I was missing. I'm coming to get you now, Bertruger!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zero Star posted:

I wish I'd known that before I wiped my inbox. Bugger.

I'm sure if you email Gog support they'll resend your codes - it should be pretty easy to determine if they were used or not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WickedIcon posted:

The Build engine itself is basically just a renderer. Game logic is separate, and very different from game to game. Contrarily to Doom engine games, where there's relatively little differences between Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife (to say nothing about Chex Quest or Hacx), it's not really possible to just plug a different actor table in DN3D or Shadow Warrior and get Blood this way. That's why Doom has a few multi-compatible source ports like ZDoom, while nobody has attempted to merge Duke, SW, and the others into a "ZBuild".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

The Build engine itself is basically just a renderer. Game logic is separate, and very different from game to game. Contrarily to Doom engine games, where there's relatively little differences between Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife (to say nothing about Chex Quest or Hacx), it's not really possible to just plug a different actor table in DN3D or Shadow Warrior and get Blood this way. That's why Doom has a few multi-compatible source ports like ZDoom, while nobody has attempted to merge Duke, SW, and the others into a "ZBuild".

Duke3D and Shadow Warrior actually have many underlying technical similarities. The CON code is gone, but the structure is similar despite being re-written in C. Redneck Rampage is even more closely based on Duke3D, using an extended version of the CON system. It actually may be possible to merge them all together, though Shadow Warrior's code would have to be converted back to CON or something.

You're right that Blood is a completely different matter though, as are the (terrible) Capstone games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Holy poo poo, the helicopter fight in Serious Sam 3 is ridiculously loving unfun. I keep on trying it and the helicopter's mobility makes it near impossible to do anything, there's a horde of enemies, nearly no health (besides lots of little +1 bits that you lose the instant you get caught out in the open by the helicopter, or if it decides it can hit you in the little place you decided to hide away) and a turret guarding the rocket launcher you need to take out the chopper. I got the rocket launcher once and then got gunned down by the chopper. I'm really liking fighting the regular enemies (except kleers, gently caress kleers, they sucked in TFE, they suck here) but these boss enemies...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, the helicopter fight in Serious Sam 3 is ridiculously loving unfun. I keep on trying it and the helicopter's mobility makes it near impossible to do anything, there's a horde of enemies, nearly no health (besides lots of little +1 bits that you lose the instant you get caught out in the open by the helicopter, or if it decides it can hit you in the little place you decided to hide away) and a turret guarding the rocket launcher you need to take out the chopper. I got the rocket launcher once and then got gunned down by the chopper. I'm really liking fighting the regular enemies (except kleers, gently caress kleers, they sucked in TFE, they suck here) but these boss enemies...

A while back, it occurred to me that fighting groups of Kleers encourages a strange, dancing strategy--almost like a rhythm game. It's difficult to really explain, but you basically run straight at them with the DB shotgun and, right as the closest one is about hit you with its leap attack--shoot it at point blank range (in order to one-hit-kill the target) while simultaneously strafing away in a semi-circle (never a line!) so you evade the subsequent leap attacks. Maybe you even opportunistically hit a second or third Kleer that landed too close. Then, as the remaining Kleer reset themselves and start running after you again, you backpedal and repeat the whole thing. If you get good at it, you can dance around with large groups almost indefinitely, endlessly kiting them around in large circles while still getting the satisfaction of point-blank DB shots.

SS:BFE seems really chock full of mechanics and enemies that aren't conducive to these sorts of games, though. Hitscan enemies + large, open arenas with little cover is an unfun combination that's been taboo since Doom.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

catlord posted:

Serious Sam 3 is ridiculously loving unfun.

It doesn't get better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
No there's like one level that starts you off with no weapons again and you're in an oasis and it's fun as hell.

Then it's back to the same old bullshit. Goddamn I was really disappointed by SS3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

^^^^ Oh yes that part is definately a dick move. I was so pumped with the game and ended being a big dissapointing pile of garbage. ^^^^

Serious Sam is not fun since The First and Second Encounters. SS2 was a slog and SS3 tried to parody modern shooters on the first third of the game and ended being boring and poo poo. The middle of the game isn't bad but just wait to get to the guardian of time. I got the DLC for SS3 gifted and is even worse.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

blakyoshi posted:

It doesn't get better.

Uh, I think it does though, doesn't it? The first 5 or 6 levels are really rough (culminating in the helicopter fight) before the game starts to remember it's Serious Sam and not an insanely bland budget FPS. Once you get to the sandworm level and beyond though it seems like it's finally starting to get good... I just picked it up on the sale myself, not done yet. $3.85 or whatever was a price I was finally willing to bite at after hearing it starts out quite weak.

I mean the game has issues and it might end up being worse than 1st/2nd Encounter but either you like Serious Sam or you don't. For instance, gently caress spiders and their related melee kill, it's an ongoing struggle between "do I want to shoot this thing or am I willing to hear "uuuUUUUUUUP!" again right now"

edit: Oh more people said it sucks. Welp I'm looking forward to finishing it!!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
No I was serious about that being a fun level. The oasis felt like it SHOULD have been the beginning of the game. For a brief moment even though they once again slowly gave you your weapons back it actually felt like something from First or Second Encounter.

How many times did they take your weapons away from you in that game anyway? I loving hate that in games 99% of the time.

ExMortis posted:

Uh, I think it does though, doesn't it? The first 5 or 6 levels are really rough (culminating in the helicopter fight) before the game starts to remember it's Serious Sam and not an insanely bland budget FPS. Once you get to the sandworm level and beyond though it seems like it's finally starting to get good... I just picked it up on the sale myself, not done yet. $3.85 or whatever was a price I was finally willing to bite at after hearing it starts out quite weak.

The final two levels are a slog of immense proportions and the final boss is like some programmer's loving joke. It's so goddamn sad.

And the weird thing is that there's no one thing wrong with SS3 throughout the entire game. It's like there's a good game there as a base but then almost every level has some crippling issue or horrible new enemy or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A while back, it occurred to me that fighting groups of Kleers encourages a strange, dancing strategy--almost like a rhythm game. It's difficult to really explain, but you basically run straight at them with the DB shotgun and, right as the closest one is about hit you with its leap attack--shoot it at point blank range (in order to one-hit-kill the target) while simultaneously strafing away in a semi-circle (never a line!) so you evade the subsequent leap attacks. Maybe you even opportunistically hit a second or third Kleer that landed too close. Then, as the remaining Kleer reset themselves and start running after you again, you backpedal and repeat the whole thing. If you get good at it, you can dance around with large groups almost indefinitely, endlessly kiting them around in large circles while still getting the satisfaction of point-blank DB shots.

SS:BFE seems really chock full of mechanics and enemies that aren't conducive to these sorts of games, though. Hitscan enemies + large, open arenas with little cover is an unfun combination that's been taboo since Doom.

Oh, I do definitely overstate my dislike for kleers, but the first introduction of them in TFE you don't really have a great weapon to use against them, the double barreled shotgun comes in a couple levels later, at least in 3 you have the sledgehammer. The room in TFE where you get the DB Shotgun was ridiculous, I found, generally dying to kleers. I think it had a bunch of pillars? That might have been the problem, I think I kept getting caught on them. Also, just to prove I'm right in hating them, during a particularly rough fight in 3, I hit a kleer with the hammer and blue screened (I think that was just one of those times, the game hasn't blue screened on me again).

As far as the hitscan enemies, I haven't had too much trouble with them yet, they would be a lot easier to deal with if I didn't have a loving helicopter shooting me in the back when I think I'm safe from it.

Edit: Haha, holy poo poo, didn't expect to see a huge discussion pop up while I was writing my reply.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Serious Sam 3 got a lot better after you beat the lovely helicopter boss. The game starts giving you some actual weapons instead of forcing you to plink everything to death with the pump shotgun. If you're just starting out, I'd also recommend looking through a secrets guide and picking up all of the weapon and ammo secrets. Things are a lot more bearable when you have a double barrel shotgun and laser gun by level 3.

There are lots of mods out there that fix some of the gameplay problems, like making the hitscan enemies fire lasers. The game feels more like the classic games when you're dodging lasers instead of getting pegged half-a-mile away by some asshat with an assault rifle. Check the workshop for them.

I thought the last two levels were just fine. The second to last level needed less of those witch-brides, but otherwise they were fun and challenging. The final boss was BS, but there are several FAQs and guides that show how to kill him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wish I didn't have to start a new game to play with mods though.

Edit: Would it be possible to transfer my saves over to the moddable version from the standard version? Also, unrelated, but does anybody else have issues with WinRotTGL too? When playing with either The Dark War or The Hunt Begins it always crashes at certain doors.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 21, 2013

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
WinROTT (GL and otherwise) as a whole isn't particularly reliable, I find. I've tried it on 3 machines and it only works on one. Luckily, DOSBox does a pretty good job of it if you have a reasonable CPU in your machine.

These retro revivals are pretty interesting, I have to say. Shadow Warrior looks like it could be a lot of fun to PLAY, but watching it, it doesn't really strike me as being much like the original. I think it's that the guns have no oomph in that trailer. The SSG in Doom 2 would be unsatisfying, too, if it didn't have that BOOM-click-clack noise. I don't see much level design going on, either, just themed open areas with dudes to fight. That these guys did Hard Reset doesn't fill me with a whole lot of hope, either.

ROTT, on the other hand, seems to be hitting all the right notes. They understand the 90s maze shooters, which seems to be something modern developers shy away from in favour of ultra-linear corridors that lead to a closed in arena. Gamers who didn't grow up with Doom and Duke seem to think old-school shooters are all Painkiller/Serious Sam mob shooters, but Interceptor really gets what made ROTT and those other nineties shooters special. The only thing that worries me about ROTT right now is that I haven't seen them ADD anything to it. ROTT is kind of boring with bullet-sponge enemies being a real problem when you don't have explosives available, and the remake is sticking so close to the original format that it might still be a problem with the new one. The other guns are so much fun that it's not a dealbreaker, but go back and play ROTT and just try and tell me that it couldn't have done with a shotgun or other bullet weapon besides the MP40. That being said, I cannot loving wait for the 31st.

I am 100% on-board for a tongue-in-cheek Blake Stone remake, too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Are there really only three source ports for RotT? I just want to play it in higher resolutions and have some nice control options, but none of the ports work for me. WinRotT and WinRotTGL crash on me, and the icculus one just doesn't run.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I briefly got to play the first level of ROTT 2013 at PAX Aus, some peripheral company snuck the demo on at some point. Sadly, the demo display had some noticable input lag so I was worse at it then I'd have liked, but it seemed pretty fun, if a bit janky. Definitely wiped out the disappointment of the Flashback remake's demo, so I'm looking forward to the final game. :)

Reive
May 21, 2009

catlord posted:

Are there really only three source ports for RotT? I just want to play it in higher resolutions and have some nice control options, but none of the ports work for me. WinRotT and WinRotTGL crash on me, and the icculus one just doesn't run.

The WinRoTT ports both require certain DLLs that can be acquired on the same site you download 'em from.
Download the following:
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/WinRottGL_Full_v.1.70.zip
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/GLgraphics.zip
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/GLdllpack.zip

Extract them, put the folder from the graphics pack into the program's folder and overwrite/merge, put the DLLs directly into the root of the program's folder, drop all the DARKWAR files (wad, rtc, rtl) from your original copy (or GOG or Steam version) into the root as well.

That should work.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Reive posted:

The WinRoTT ports both require certain DLLs that can be acquired on the same site you download 'em from.
Download the following:
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/WinRottGL_Full_v.1.70.zip
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/GLgraphics.zip
http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/GLdllpack.zip

Extract them, put the folder from the graphics pack into the program's folder and overwrite/merge, put the DLLs directly into the root of the program's folder, drop all the DARKWAR files (wad, rtc, rtl) from your original copy (or GOG or Steam version) into the root as well.

That should work.

I did all that, the games will start, but if I use either The Dark War or The Hunt Begins, eventually I will get to a door in the first map that trying to open will crash the game. I've seen other people with the same problem, but no answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

catlord posted:

I did all that, the games will start, but if I use either The Dark War or The Hunt Begins, eventually I will get to a door in the first map that trying to open will crash the game. I've seen other people with the same problem, but no answers.

Did you use that version? it's 1.70 isn't on the actual downloads page, only the blog, it might help, if you're already on that version then I have no clue, sorry.