Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NHL on the Fly is practically the only non-game sports I watch.

And that's like 80% live game anyhow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BrooklynBruiser posted:

They will stop covering the Yankees and Red Sox when their Yankees and Red Sox coverage stops getting the most attention.

This is, of course, a self-perpetuating system to some extent. But yes, ultimately ESPN is a perfect example of why for-profit news will inevitably be garbage.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Benne posted:

ESPN showed slow-pitch softball on this Saturday morning.

Once in a while, the network is still worth watching :allears:

The had the US v. USA Futures game on during the afternoon.

The "extra hitter" for the US was the poster child of the public's veiw of slow pitch softball: a huge fat guy who would just loving rip the ball out of the park. All he was missing was the celebratory beer after rounding the bases.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MD2020 posted:

All he was missing was the celebratory beer after rounding the bases.

After?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The NY Times is saying ESPN will announce tomorrow Olbermann is back with that late night show

Hell has frozen over

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/s...&seid=auto&_r=0

itshappening.gif

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Vertical Lime posted:

The NY Times is saying ESPN will announce tomorrow Olbermann is back with that late night show

Hell has frozen over

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/s...&seid=auto&_r=0

itshappening.gif

I say it will go about a year before he gets pissed and leaves again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

itshappening.gif
Well you can't write it out and then not post it you lazy jerk.

Although in this case we need to replace Ron Paul's face with Olbermann's.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Ironic that in Those Guys Have All The Fun ESPN execs said when Fox Sports launched in early 90s that they wouldn't succeed because they hired Olbermann and he was a pain in the rear end.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I like to type out that .gif because it's been played out.

Those original reports suggested it's starting in November. The official announcement came out, and it will debut after the first night of the US Open next month. Won't he be pissed if it runs long:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/07/olbermann-returning-to-espn2-with-daily-late-night-show-aug-26/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rousimar Pauladeen posted:

Ironic that in Those Guys Have All The Fun ESPN execs said when Fox Sports launched in early 90s that they wouldn't succeed because they hired Olbermann and he was a pain in the rear end.

Our ratings are down and our non-live-sports programming is a cesspool and we're rehiring the single most despised person in our history but nothing is wrong at ESPN no sir

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crazy Ted posted:

Well you can't write it out and then not post it you lazy jerk.

Although in this case we need to replace Ron Paul's face with Olbermann's.

It's a played out meme either way

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Our ratings are down and our non-live-sports programming is a cesspool and we're rehiring the single most despised person in our history but nothing is wrong at ESPN no sir

If they hire Dan Patrick back you know things are REALLY in the shitter.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
So he isn't allowed to talk politics at all?

Doesn't that give him an out when he gets bored and wants out of his contract? Just start talking politics and then they let him go?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

haljordan posted:

If they hire Dan Patrick back you know things are REALLY in the shitter.

He would never. He has a pretty sweet gig with NBC/his radio show/directTV.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

davecrazy posted:

He would never. He has a pretty sweet gig with NBC/his radio show/directTV.

I bet if the cash was right he'd consider it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

haljordan posted:

I'm pretty sure if ESPN was the last place to work on Earth he'd just rather go broke

e: if the leadership changed I suppose that could be different

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

haljordan posted:

He started at ESPN before it was taken over by Disney, so he worked there back before the SportsCenter anchors had to push stories for ratings and entertainment value. I'm pretty sure he'd rather spoon his eyes out than go back there.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So ESPN is adding Nate Silver, any thoughts? I'm vaguely familiar with him but have no real opinion.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

chunkles posted:

So ESPN is adding Nate Silver, any thoughts? I'm vaguely familiar with him but have no real opinion.

Good with putting numbers together, sometimes good at interpreting the meaning of them. That's kind of it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Only tangentially related to journalism, but SBNation took a clip of Tom Rinaldi laughing and reversed it, in the process making one of the creepiest things of all time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Welcome to hell, Nate.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

chunkles posted:

Rob Neyer 2.0

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

I'm glad he's dropping this politics bullshit to get back to something important like projecting the performance of baseball players.

midwat
May 6, 2007

MourningView posted:

I'm glad he's dropping this politics bullshit to get back to something important like projecting the performance of baseball players.

And being called a nerd by ESPN on-air "personalities."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hope he's ready for lots of games of "Stop Hitting Yourself".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
John Kruk is going to give him a wedgie on air.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MourningView posted:

Right after the election he said, either in an interview or in his blog, that he was thinking about moving on from politics to something else. It's just a little surprising he'd return to baseball/sports. Dude has enough clout now that he could probably go start his own website and do whatever the hell he wants. I hope he's getting a nice payday here, at least.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Probably get fewer death threats covering sports then politics. Unless its SEC football.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

davecrazy posted:

Probably get fewer death threats covering sports then politics. Unless its SEC football.

The SEC is actually slower than the Pac 12.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Really can't wait for Sportscenter to have all of these glitzy glammory cut-tos of clips and home runs and scoring touchdowns and loud noises and WOO HOO IN YOUR FACE SPORTS with an "anchor" saying WELCOME TO SPORTSCENTER I'M DAN HIGGINBOTTOM AS COOL AS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW FILL THINE HORN WITH OIL AND GO and cut midway into a very calm, collected nate silver saying "if you look at the numbers, ..."

how in the gently caress is ESPN going to use Nate Silver to even justify paying him? I really really hope they do the same thing they did to Rick Reilly and make him host an awkward, clumsy sportscenter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The broken bones posted:

Really can't wait for Sportscenter to have all of these glitzy glammory cut-tos of clips and home runs and scoring touchdowns and loud noises and WOO HOO IN YOUR FACE SPORTS with an "anchor" saying WELCOME TO SPORTSCENTER I'M DAN HIGGINBOTTOM AS COOL AS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW FILL THINE HORN WITH OIL AND GO and cut midway into a very calm, collected nate silver saying "if you look at the numbers, ..."

how in the gently caress is ESPN going to use Nate Silver to even justify paying him? I really really hope they do the same thing they did to Rick Reilly and make him host an awkward, clumsy sportscenter.

I mean, it's there in the story:

"At ESPN, Mr. Silver is expected to have a wide-ranging portfolio. Along with his writing and number-crunching, he will most likely be a regular contributor to “Olbermann,” the late-night ESPN2 talk show hosted by Keith Olbermann that will have its debut at the end of August. In political years, he will also have a role at ABC News, which is owned by Disney."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would guess most of his stuff will be for the website, not TV. And it's not like they've never had numbers guys before.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Even if he starts with a decent TV role, it'll be reduced the first time he sticks with actual numbers and facts instead of furthering ESPN's narrative on a particular issue.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

MourningView posted:

I would guess most of his stuff will be for the website, not TV. And it's not like they've never had numbers guys before.

the audience for that has really died out thanks to fangraphs, BP after Silver, etc. And even then, the entire audience is pretty drat small to justify hiring him away from the NYT, which probably didn't cost a ton, but probably more than they're willing to admit.

On top of that, ESPN's gone so far away from that, it's hard to imagine just building an audience from scratch. I mean, best case scenario, Silver works his magic and it forces fans like us to read ESPN again, but do you really see the ESPN audience embracing Silver?

fake edit: not that I don't love Silver getting back into sports, but this sounds like ESPN trying to regain credibility with one signing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm willing to give an espn.com url a chance again if Nate Silver is the one publishing stuff there. I admit it, I'm not afraid. That doesn't mean I'm going to like, watch, or acknowledge the existence of First Take.

The first time they put him and Skip Bayless in a room, if they don't allow Silver to lay the numbers smack down then I'm out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They haven't gone that far away from it. Hell, they're only a year away from pushing QBR in football like it was this great revelation that was going to explain everything.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The broken bones posted:

the audience for that has really died out thanks to fangraphs, BP after Silver, etc. And even then, the entire audience is pretty drat small to justify hiring him away from the NYT, which probably didn't cost a ton, but probably more than they're willing to admit.

On top of that, ESPN's gone so far away from that, it's hard to imagine just building an audience from scratch. I mean, best case scenario, Silver works his magic and it forces fans like us to read ESPN again, but do you really see the ESPN audience embracing Silver?

fake edit: not that I don't love Silver getting back into sports, but this sounds like ESPN trying to regain credibility with one signing.

He's going to be writing for ABC News during elections, too, so it seems like a good deal for everyone involved. ESPN gets gets a credibility hire, ABC News gets a proven draw, and Silver gets steady work during his "offseason".

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
As I understand it he's basically going to build FiveThirtyEight as a news/politics oriented version Grantland, do Olbermann's new show a lot, probably do a podcast/his own type show, and do occasional shots for ABC or ESPN when they want to do pop culture predictions. I don't think they're going to make him a SportsCenter anchor or anything like that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Maybe they can reboot Numbers Never Lie again into something less soul crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

morestuff posted:

He's going to be writing for ABC News during elections, too, so it seems like a good deal for everyone involved. ESPN gets gets a credibility hire, ABC News gets a proven draw, and Silver gets steady work during his "offseason".

Considering how you put it, that makes a lot more sense; but again, he's been looking to move away from politics, so this could blow up pretty spectacularly if that turns into "I don't want to do politics anymore."

Kalli posted:

They haven't gone that far away from it. Hell, they're only a year away from pushing QBR in football like it was this great revelation that was going to explain everything.

This is the same network that had FAVRE and is now promoting the poo poo out of Johnny Manziel. They have an entire talk show around Skip Bayless saying outrageous things. As I'm typing this, a guy on sportscenter literally ascribed the Dodgers' rise in the NL West to Yasiel Puig. ESPN has been behind the curve on stats for more than 10 years now because it never had ratings. They chose to ignore it and pander to the opposition crowd for almost all of that, minus the backhanded mentions of WAR or defensive metrics on sportscenter once in a blue moon. Brian Kenny was a pretty decent sportscenter guy who knew his stats and brought them up regularly, but never got a fair chance. He was given ESPNews regularly and was given a script and that was that. He left for MLB when they offered him broader roles. He created his own show and it's turned out to be pretty drat good.
Now maybe the football side of ESPN is more progressive, but the baseball side is definitely old boys club.

Not that the Silver signing isn't bad, but we're talking 10+ years of hiring like-minded "I like sports" people who grew up with the catchphrase sportscenters and don't see any problem with that. For change to happen at ESPN, it has to be massive. You have producers, directors, programmers, etc., who will have no idea what Silver is talking about and have no idea how to use him. A couple of discussions on Keith Olbermann's show is whatever--that show probably won't do well in ratings either since most of ESPN's audience doesn't remember him and Olbermann will probably leave angry again. Then you just have Silver and no platform for him. Eventually, they'll give Silver a small clip to talk and then give another clip to John Kruk or Jon Gruden completely negating what Silver said and consider that equal coverage. He'll be phased out sooner or later because the audience of ESPN won't understand him. Writing a few articles on ESPN.com won't justify bringing him on board.

Changing a couple of planks on the ship of theseus doesn't change the ship. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Silver finds a groove, but this most definitely sounds like set up for failure.