Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks very nice. I'm curious what the power rating on the 1.5l will be, if it's going to a DOHC layout is it a completely new engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Looks very nice. I'm curious what the power rating on the 1.5l will be, if it's going to a DOHC layout is it a completely new engine?

Looks like it's supposed to be one of Honda's new "Earth Dreams" engines that debuted in the 2013 Accord (think Mazda's SkyActiv).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are the Honda engines similarly high-compression?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

lazer_chicken posted:

I think the Fit is the closest successor to the 90's Civics. Sure it has a cheap suspension (struts up front, torsion beam rear) but it only weighs 2500 pounds and it handles very well. And the L15A7 is great and feels just like a vtec D15. The Fit feels pretty much like some time-warped in a 90's honda and put new body panels on it.
I'd argue a true successor to 90s Civics is the current Hyundai Accent SE. The 4th gen Accent SE hatch and 5th gen Civic Si are virtually identical in length, width, wheelbase, power, and curb weight. The Accent is ~7" taller and up ~20% torque output, however.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 19, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Thwomp posted:

Looks like it's supposed to be one of Honda's new "Earth Dreams" engines

Oh Japan...don't you ever go changin'

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Camaro got a refresh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aside from the tank commander levels of visibility, that looks better.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Not a fan of those tail lamps at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Refresh resmesh, it's just lipstick on a pig. The V6 ATS is 400lbs lighter than the V6 camaro, even with all the luxury junk packed into it.

It is kind of funny with the malibu and vette adopting the camaro taillights, while at the same time the camaro is going the other direction.

Also, i stopped and looked at the new 2014 impala and it looks really good in person, a lot better than photos, but still it's going to be a hard sell for a 195hp car at $29k, especially with 300hp "old model" 2014s with 30k everywhere for $13k.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 20, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nobody is cross shopping V6 Camaro's and V6 ATS'. Almost everyone buying a V6 Camaro is buying it for the styling.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Devyl posted:

The Camaro got a refresh:

It's all squinty now!

:sterv:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I like it, and I also like the fact that the Phaeton is definitely coming back to North America for 2014. I have all kinds of crazy plans in my head for how they can choose to play it, top among them is to just keep the old platform, maybe give the styling and interior a refresh, smaller engines and a move downmarket to the $45k price range.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Linedance posted:

I just had a new Golf from zipcar, so far it has been the worst for this. I took a picture from my perspective. The camera was a little in front of my face, so in practice I could see slightly more of the speedo (up to about 50mph!).

This is after I'd adjusted everything to my comfort. I suppose, being German and all, they probably expect you to adjust yourself to the car's comfort.

At least you have the option of seeing the speedo and being uncomfortable. A lot of friends' cars I've borrowed recently have been late 2000's to new and haven't had adjustable wheels, which is even better if the car has buckets installed that don't have adjustable height.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Drunken Lullabies posted:

At least you have the option of seeing the speedo and being uncomfortable. A lot of friends' cars I've borrowed recently have been late 2000's to new and haven't had adjustable wheels, which is even better if the car has buckets installed that don't have adjustable height.

Curious as to what models these are - are you sure you're not just missing the adjuster?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

dissss posted:

There is the City too which is basically like a Fit sedan.

Not that I see the appeal - the Civic (even the sedan) is better to drive than the fit, as are any number of other Fit-sized cars (Swift, 2, Fiesta etc). I can only imagine the North American Civic has been screwed up if so many people think otherwise.

The Fit is fun to drive, and the press generally considers it to be the best driver in its class. Interestingly, the NA Civic is one of the few Civics that haven't moved to an enlarged Fit platform.

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'd argue a true successor to 90s Civics is the current Hyundai Accent SE. The 4th gen Accent SE hatch and 5th gen Civic Si are virtually identical in length, width, wheelbase, power, and curb weight. The Accent is ~7" taller and up ~20% torque output, however.

I'd counter that a car needs good steering and handling to be a true successor to the 90s Civics. :v:

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

dissss posted:

Curious as to what models these are - are you sure you're not just missing the adjuster?

I really can't remember many because I drive a lot of cars in a week, but in particular I can't figure out how to adjust my girlfriend's GH impreza's wheel for the life of me. I'm really short and she has the factory sparco buckets which sit you really low in the car to begin with. I haven't looked at the manual, I've just fished my hand around the steering rack a few times and felt disappointed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Nobody is cross shopping V6 Camaro's and V6 ATS'. Almost everyone buying a V6 Camaro is buying it for the styling.

What i mean is that the next Camaro is supposed to be on the same chassis as the ATS, they're wasting time and money on retooling the fat bomb bunker rather than accelerating development of the next model.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

What i mean is that the next Camaro is supposed to be on the same chassis as the ATS, they're wasting time and money on retooling the fat bomb bunker rather than accelerating development of the next model.

Dunno it looks like all they did was change the plastic for the F/R bumper covers and lights and it looks to me at least like zero sheet-metal changes. It makes more sense to milk all the money out of a model that's still selling decently and has more or less paid itself off instead of cutting corners or spending extra cash fast-tracking the new platform version when the old one is still selling.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
That's the same front/rear end on the 2014 Z28 that was revealed a few months ago, no?

edit: yep

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ehnus posted:

That's the same front/rear end on the 2014 Z28 that was revealed a few months ago, no?

edit: yep

The Z28 looks to get slightly different lights, but fitting into that same rectangular hole. I like the old styling a bit better. Wonder if there's any 2013 ZL1s out there still...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PeterWeller posted:

The Fit is fun to drive, and the press generally considers it to be the best driver in its class.

Maybe in North America, certainly not where I am.

New Zealand is actually quite an interesting market for model ranges, here Honda has the Jazz(Fit)/City, (Euro) Civic Hatch/(US) Civic sedan, (Euro) Accord/(US Accord) for sale alongside each other. Likewise Toyota has the (Euro) Corolla(Auris) Hatch/(US) Corolla sedan, US Camry sedan and the Avensis wagon

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I really can't remember many because I drive a lot of cars in a week, but in particular I can't figure out how to adjust my girlfriend's GH impreza's wheel for the life of me. I'm really short and she has the factory sparco buckets which sit you really low in the car to begin with. I haven't looked at the manual, I've just fished my hand around the steering rack a few times and felt disappointed.

Here's the illustration from the manual, don't know what models do / don't come equipped (I guess it's an option).

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

How much did they change the Fit platform between the 2007-2008 and '09+? I had an '08 which I enjoyed a lot but the 09s feel a lot bigger, heavier, and more..."bathtub-y." They're probably not even that much bigger or heavier though. I didn't care for the redesigned Fit's interior either. :shobon:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Let's talk about Cameros :banjo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnbwm4dcFs

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
It's a very odd thing for me to say but Chevy has been knocking it out of the park lately. It's not a stretch to imagine in a year's time that I will replace the Spyder with a C7 Z51.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Whoa, it has 305 tires all around. Is that a good thing?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

CharlesM posted:

Here's the illustration from the manual, don't know what models do / don't come equipped (I guess it's an option).

Yeah it doesn't seem to have either of those levers which is kinda weird because it has like every other option imagineable. Well it has 1 of the 2 levers but I can't make it budge.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 20, 2013

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Ummm two levers? The bottom lever goes down at which point the wheel cam tilt and telescope. Maybe it's really tight?

To add to the Fit chat I've been enjoying mine a lot. The 09+ is a lot quieter, a lot more stable on the highway and has more storage space. It handles well, the gearbox feels solid and steering response is good but it's not as tossable as the GD if that makes sense. I've been getting a solid 30mpg city and around 36 highway, the EPA estimates are a bit low.

The biggest advantage, and why I ended up with one rather than a 2 or Fiesta, is the fact that it has almost twice the cargo room compared to anything else in its class. I should post photos of the 55" TV, 6ft dresser, etc that I've moved. Last camping trip my car was able to fit 4 adults, 2 lage coolers, an RC plane plus all of our camping gear.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 20, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It's a very odd thing for me to say but Chevy has been knocking it out of the park lately. It's not a stretch to imagine in a year's time that I will replace the Spyder with a C7 Z51.

Eh, it's been a mixed bag I think. They've hit a few homeruns, but they've also whiffed on a few. The 2013 Malibu was a total letdown and the 4 cylinder Impala shouldn't even exist.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ummm two levers? The bottom lever goes down at which point the wheel cam tilt and telescope. Maybe it's really tight?

The biggest advantage, and why I ended up with one rather than a 2 or Fiesta, is the fact that it has almost twice the cargo room compared to anything else in its class. I should post photos of the 55" TV, 6ft dresser, etc that I've moved. Last camping trip my car was able to fit 4 adults, 2 lage coolers, an RC plane plus all of our camping gear.

So you can say everything fit? :downsrim:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

There's some interesting rumors surrounding Fiat/Chrysler lately. One claim is that all future Alfa Romeos will be rwd (unlikely with the Mito and Guilietta moving forward), but it does match up with speculation over the Avenger being reborn as a D-segment rwd sedan. That would go a long way to differentiate Dodge from Chrysler while spreading out the new platform's costs, which is also supposed to spawn an Alfa sedan and maybe some coupes for both sides of the company. While this all sounds promising, I'm eager to see how the new 200 turns out next January, as it's supposed to the first true example of the fully integrated design teams. It'll give us a real idea what Fiatsler is capable of or not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Q_res posted:

Eh, it's been a mixed bag I think. They've hit a few homeruns, but they've also whiffed on a few. The 2013 Malibu was a total letdown and the 4 cylinder Impala shouldn't even exist.

What's wrong with the Malibu? I thought Chevy has been getting props for how good they've been doing with it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

leica posted:

What's wrong with the Malibu? I thought Chevy has been getting props for how good they've been doing with it.

The 2013 Malibu was a step back from the car it replaced (which was arguably a homerun in its own right) in virtually every possible way. Worst of all sales reflected that, hence the emergency 2014 refresh.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I like it, and I also like the fact that the Phaeton is definitely coming back to North America for 2014. I have all kinds of crazy plans in my head for how they can choose to play it, top among them is to just keep the old platform, maybe give the styling and interior a refresh, smaller engines and a move downmarket to the $45k price range.

Sorry, but I can't see this working out any better than it did last time. Even if they get it down to $45k...the Audi A6 starts at like $42k. I realize that the A6 is a bit smaller, but I just can't imagine Americans spending that much money on a sedan whose brand isn't really associated with luxury or prestige. Especially since VW is going for a more 'mainstream' image with the current Jetta and Passat.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 21, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

The 2013 Malibu was a step back from the car it replaced (which was arguably a homerun in its own right) in virtually every possible way. Worst of all sales reflected that, hence the emergency 2014 refresh.

They also launched it in the dumbest possible way, with only a single engine choice of the worst hybrid they've ever made, and all of it pushed out the door in a rush because a certain CEO doesn't know poo poo about how cars are made.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, the 2008 Malibu a "home run"? Certainly not in terms of sales. But I guess it did at least put GM on the map of many shoppers compared to the N-body that it replaced. The mechanically similar Saturn Aura was actually released a year before the Malibu and was hailed as the turning point for GM/Bob Lutz, Saturn just didn't have the brand recognition and dealer/customer base that Chevy did.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Sorry, but I can't see this working out any better than it did last time. Even if they get it down to $45k...the Audi A6 starts at like $42k. I realize that the A6 is a bit smaller, but I just can't imagine Americans spending that much money on a sedan whose brand isn't really associated with luxury or prestige. Especially since VW is going for a more 'mainstream' image with the current Jetta and Passat.

Lots of Americans buy a large Buick that costs more than a small Cadillac, or a large Toyota over a small Lexus, and there are plenty of well off people who would rather not be seen in an Audi. The market is there, price it at about the same price as a mid-spec A6 and it will sell but the key will be whether they can actually pull it off. It was tough back in 2003 when it was a brand new bespoke platform with its own plant, but at this point the Bentley Continental chassis is 10 years old.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, the 2008 Malibu a "home run"?

"Home run" in the sense that it was probably the best mid-size effort from GM ever. Certainly the best to wear a bowtie.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Q_res posted:

"Home run" in the sense that it was probably the best mid-size effort from GM ever. Certainly the best to wear a bowtie.

Damning with faint praise, there

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Q_res posted:

How is that even possible? The worst car I've driven in the past few years was a 2012 Malibu rental that I foolishly took over a Mazda 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Forming opinions on cars based on rental experience is about the dumbest thing you can do. Almost all are stripper models, some even moreso than you can buy from a dealer, depending on the fleet order. On top of that, they get flogged to death and often don't get maintained like they should, and to add insult to injury, the economic downturn has forced almost all rental agencies to prolong fleet life to cut costs.

Rental cars are all poo poo, it doesn't matter what brand it is. We get rental Mazda 6's in all the time at my auction, and they are loving garbage, too.

They are literal appliance cars. It's like saying a wheelbarrow is uncomfortable to sit in. Can you haul things with it? If so, it did what it was designed to do.

If you want a nice rental car, you have to pay extra for the highline poo poo.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 21, 2013