Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Yeah, Archer's been doing all that & we're at 7.5 months with no signs of teeth yet. They can stay away as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

AlistairCookie posted:

Amber is supposed help their teething pain just by wearing the necklace via magic or something. :rolleyes:

The same way that amethyst is supposed to prevent you from getting drunk? (In fact, it's how the word came to be: 'a-' meaning 'not' (like in atheist), and 'methyst' meaning 'drunk' (ultimately from the root 'methy', meaning 'wine')).

It really bothers me how much traction 'homeopathic' remedies have on the market. Are people just that unaware of basic medical science? If so, why the gently caress are those people having kids?

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Axiem posted:

The same way that amethyst is supposed to prevent you from getting drunk? (In fact, it's how the word came to be: 'a-' meaning 'not' (like in atheist), and 'methyst' meaning 'drunk' (ultimately from the root 'methy', meaning 'wine')).

It really bothers me how much traction 'homeopathic' remedies have on the market. Are people just that unaware of basic medical science? If so, why the gently caress are those people having kids?

How do you expect people who don't know anything about medical science to know where kids come from? :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Axiem posted:

People are, by and large, super loving stupid.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Axiem posted:

Well, if nothing else, if someone's "that unaware of basic medical science", they're not likely to be able to correct their lack of knowledge on their own. I mean, I know how I could find out whether an amber necklace could really help somebody, and I know enough about medicine to know that the explanation of how amber helps is at best extremely implausible. But if I didn't know how to find that out, and I didn't know that medicine isn't going to just seep out of a set of beads, but my next-door neighbor and the lady who runs the cloth diaper store and this really convincing website I found when I searched for "amber teething necklace" all say it will work, why wouldn't I believe them?

The same goes for all the homeopathic stuff in the children's remedy aisle at CVS or Walgreens. Real pharmacies sell them, they're about the same price as the non-homeopathic ones, and they don't have scary warnings like the others do. The box of "homeopathic teething gel" doesn't explain that I'm buying water that will supposedly remember having at one point been within a few inches of a molecule of something else, and it's not unlikely that putting it on my son's gums really might seem to help - and at that point I have 'evidence' that it works!

I mean, complain about people buying into homeopathy, call the people who sell homeopathic remedies scammers (because they are), but "I don't know anything about medicine, but people I trust say this will work, and it seems to help" isn't a necessarily-stupid thing to say, and doesn't make someone a bad parent, just someone who's getting bad advice.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Thinking more about traveling with little ones, Mr. Clarice and I highly recommend Amtrak (if available for your itinerary). It combines most of the benefits of car and airplane travel: larger seats than a plane, easy to get up and walk around, you don't need to stop for feedings/diaper changes. We take the train to my in-laws a few times a year, and have always had a great experience.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Most homeopathic remedies seem pretty harmless, but a necklace of small beads for a teething baby sounds like a choking hazard.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axiem posted:

Well in my case I just followed one of the links in the OP, searched "teething", and saw a bunch of people recommending them. I just assumed it was a good thing to gnaw on, not that the amber itself had some magic properties.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

zonohedron posted:

I mean, complain about people buying into homeopathy, call the people who sell homeopathic remedies scammers (because they are), but "I don't know anything about medicine, but people I trust say this will work, and it seems to help" isn't a necessarily-stupid thing to say, and doesn't make someone a bad parent, just someone who's getting bad advice.

Point taken. It's more that I automatically translate "homeopathic" to "bullshit" whenever I see it on packaging, and am surprised other people don't as well. Not that the idiots hawking it are any better.

Anyways, that's probably enough of a derail.

Our experiences with flying with the little one have always been superb. The flight attendants have let us board first, and we've had no issues with the seat (though we did purchase a ticket for her for simplicity). To help her get her ears popped, we had some of those squeeze fruit packets, which we gave her during takeoff/landing to keep her swallowing.

Though in August we're taking a short trip where she'll be a lap baby, so we'll see how that goes.

Gilbert
May 4, 2009

Mr Darcy posted:

Um, Sup Leeds goon buddy! ??

For Alex (13 months) we are honestly surprised how well he sleeps in this heat, going by his room thermometer it was 30C is the nursery last night with doors/windows open. We got 10 hours sleep out of him. The kid's a (nice!) freak.

Mind if I ask which end of Leeds you are at? We are in the Headingley area for reference.

Not at all. We're in Horsforth.
We managed to get a good 11 hours out of him. Once he's asleep NOTHING will stir him. Fine by us!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Papercut posted:

Well in my case I just followed one of the links in the OP, searched "teething", and saw a bunch of people recommending them. I just assumed it was a good thing to gnaw on, not that the amber itself had some magic properties.

They DO make these sort of necklaces. Some are pretty drat expensive though. I have this one and its reasonably priced and cute enough to just wear around. (they're for you to wear not the baby)
http://www.amazon.com/Teethease-Sta...g+necklace+star

Chewbeads are a genius. Whoever came up with this must be raking it in considering how cheap the raw material is and how much they charge for them.
http://www.chewbeads.com/

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Any advice on getting a 13 month old interested in standing/walking? She's been sitting on her own for a while now, but rarely sits herself up-- she's content to just lay on her back/stomach, but can sit unassisted as long as she wants to. She's a little on the small side, she was 17 lbs at her one year checkup. She'll pull up on me and my wife after her bath, but other than that she doesn't show much interest. My wife has been standing her up in her crib some, and she seems to like that. The wife has been told by 2 people that their kid started walking shortly after getting a walker, but I have read they aren't really recommended anymore. Her legs seem plenty strong-- she can push me away if I try to give her a kiss she doesn't want or something.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A 13 month old that doesn't sit herself up seems unusual. I had a late walker (he was 16 months old), but he was sitting himself up no later than 7 months. Have you discussed this with your pediatrician? Does she crawl?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
She started crawling a month or 2 ago. She rolled a lot to get where she wanted to go before that. We have talked to the ped about it and have a preliminary appointment with the 'early intervention' people in a couple of weeks, just trying to see what we can do in the meantime. The ped didn't seem concerned-- we asked for the referral, I think he was going to wait until the next appointment to see if she made any progress but we decided to ask him to go ahead and do it. He speaks really highly of them and said one of his kids went through the program.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
What really made the differnece with Nathan was interacting with other kids in his age range that already were walking. There were a couple times he made a marked improvement right after hanging out a long time with a slightly older girl who was already walking. It might have been jelousy, or being made more aware that he could do it, or even just showing off, but it seems to have helped.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

shadysight posted:

What really made the differnece with Nathan was interacting with other kids in his age range that already were walking. There were a couple times he made a marked improvement right after hanging out a long time with a slightly older girl who was already walking. It might have been jelousy, or being made more aware that he could do it, or even just showing off, but it seems to have helped.

You know, I really think you are onto something here. We don't know a lot of people here with kids in our daughters age, and we have a nanny instead of doing daycare. My wife met up with another mom with a walking 14 month old boy that she met on a Facebook moms group at the park today. She said that our daughter was pulling up on her practically the whole time. I would've come along but had to work from 1-3 this morning. Hopefully between that and the early intervention people she'll get the motivation she needs.

So no on the walker? To be clear I'm talking about the ones that actually hold the kid up, not the kind that the kid walks behind, we have received a couple of those as gifts already.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/22/the-dangers-of-baby-walkers/

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Capslock Holmes posted:

You know, I really think you are onto something here. We don't know a lot of people here with kids in our daughters age, and we have a nanny instead of doing daycare. My wife met up with another mom with a walking 14 month old boy that she met on a Facebook moms group at the park today. She said that our daughter was pulling up on her practically the whole time. I would've come along but had to work from 1-3 this morning. Hopefully between that and the early intervention people she'll get the motivation she needs.

So no on the walker? To be clear I'm talking about the ones that actually hold the kid up, not the kind that the kid walks behind, we have received a couple of those as gifts already.

The primary safety concern with walkers is stairs - lots of kids go crashing down stairs in walkers. Additionally there's the fact that the child can't really see what they're doing because the tray is in the way. And according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, walkers actually *delay* motor and mental development.
http://aapgrandrounds.aappublications.org/content/3/1/1.extract
So I'd skip it.

Note: my son has Williams Syndrome and had hypotonia as an infant. Hi didn't sit or crawl until 13 months, walked at 25 months. This was a known issue from his diagnosis at 5 months and he was receiving EI services and physical and occupational therapies from diagnosis as well. Most of what we worked on was muscle and core strengthening and providing him with lots of opportunities - so lots of low furniture to pull up on, lots of push toys around. I noticed with him that he was always more willing to give things a try when we spent time around other children who were doing those things. It was almost as if he sort of figured "Oh, those are things adults do, I don't do them" and then he'd see other kids doing them and a lightbulb would go on.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 21, 2013

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks for the links, we'll skip it

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Capslock Holmes posted:

Nathan did a walker and he loved it. He did take to walking later than average, but that's one instance. Being the child of two medical researchers has also left me deeply skeptical of such studies, but that's it's own can of worms.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We have a sizable backyard with a concrete driveway area, and the backyard is completely fenced in. When my son was about a year old, and barely walking, we'd put him in the walker outside so he could hold his own against the dogs. I didn't feel comfortable having him wobble around while my dumb dogs knocked him over. It wasn't for very long periods of time, just while we were feeding the dogs or hanging out in the backyard, but the squeals of joy that came from him were amazing. He learned where there was a slight slope, so he could gather a little speed and raise his feet for a very mild ride.

We never used the walker anywhere else, but for those few months for him to get more secure on his feet it was awesome.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We had the Melissa and Doug chomper walker, which wasn't too bad. That was really more of an extension of cruising for her, rather than a way to walk everywhere, and she didn't use it very much since it required a straight clear path. It was also adorable when she walked down the sidewalk with us using it :3:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 21, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Volmarias posted:

We had the Melissa and Doug chomper walker, which wasn't too bad. That was really more of an extension of cruising for her, rather than a way to walk everywhere, and she didn't use it very much since it required a straight clear path. It was also adorable when she walked down the sidewalk with us using it :3:

This one? That's more of a push toy or walking toy. The walkers we're talking about are this kind:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

That's confusing terminology. And here I thought we were terrible for giving her one of these. (For what its worth, our daughter loves it and still pushes it around from time to time even though she's walking on her own fine)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Chickalicious posted:

A 13 month old that doesn't sit herself up seems unusual. I had a late walker (he was 16 months old), but he was sitting himself up no later than 7 months. Have you discussed this with your pediatrician? Does she crawl?

So I watched her sit herself up today :3: Wife says she's seen her do it a few times already.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Which one of you has experience with making your own baby food? I have an immersion blender and a food processor, would I be able to do it with that set up or should I get a food mill? Buying one of the baby food specific mills seems like a sucker deal, but I could justify a mill for other uses.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Which one of you has experience with making your own baby food? I have an immersion blender and a food processor, would I be able to do it with that set up or should I get a food mill? Buying one of the baby food specific mills seems like a sucker deal, but I could justify a mill for other uses.

I've never done it personally but heard immersion blenders and food processors work fine. Those baby-themed blenders seem like such a waste of money to me!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

FishBulb posted:

I make my own food, and I only have an immersion blender (no food processor, no baby-specific tools). It works just fine.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

FishBulb posted:

We got a small food processor from amazon (and then got another one a few days later as a gift). It worked fine and we used ice cube trays to freeze and then stored in gallon ziplocks.

This one: Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor, Brushed Chrome
http://amzn.com/B0000645YM

I think we paid closer to $25 though.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You really don't even puree things for that long a time, either. I did the whole ice cube tray thing and it was good while it lasted, but I still have leftovers in the freezer we never got to because he just didn't eat that much back then, and moved on to table foods fast. Sweet potatoes, bananas, & avocados can all get by with just a fork mashing :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fionnoula posted:

This one? That's more of a push toy or walking toy. The walkers we're talking about are this kind:

Yep, that's the one. I know it's not the walker you're talking about, but it's a mobility aid for toddlers hopefully without the drawbacks of the walkers you are discussing.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

FishBulb posted:

I used a food processor or a hand blender and they worked fine.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I just use a cheap rear end mini food processor I got off Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...+food+processor I started using it again (we used it with my first, too) when he was around 6 months old. I would only get a food mill/strainer if you're expecting to make super fine consistency food that can be stringy such as sweet potatoes and want to shove it into a food pouch or something.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly I just kind of want a food mill because I don't have one already. Good to know I can use what I already own though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To return to the traveling question, I'd like some advice too. We're going to see my parents in August, and our son will be ~27 months at the time of the trip. The problem is that our itinerary is a grueling 25 hours of planes and transfers. He has taken plane rides before, and we got through a trip to the UK last year, but this is going to be really taxing.

To try and get through it we will be waiving our screen-time rules, and we're trying to put together a bunch of things to try and keep him entertained on the trip; basically a series of different activities that might hold his attention for 15-20 minutes at a time, and just rotating through those. That worked ok last year, although obviously we need a new set of stuff now. Does anyone have recommendations for plane-friendly activities for a 2yr old that pack small and don't break carry-on rules? Or other advice on how we can all survive this?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

FishBulb posted:

I make my own baby food and use either a mini food processor or a cheapie food mill. I freeze stuff in either little BPA free tupperware or breast milk bags. Bananas and sweet potatoes I just mash up with a fork or give little chunks of.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ashcans posted:

To return to the traveling question, I'd like some advice too. We're going to see my parents in August, and our son will be ~27 months at the time of the trip. The problem is that our itinerary is a grueling 25 hours of planes and transfers. He has taken plane rides before, and we got through a trip to the UK last year, but this is going to be really taxing.

To try and get through it we will be waiving our screen-time rules, and we're trying to put together a bunch of things to try and keep him entertained on the trip; basically a series of different activities that might hold his attention for 15-20 minutes at a time, and just rotating through those. That worked ok last year, although obviously we need a new set of stuff now. Does anyone have recommendations for plane-friendly activities for a 2yr old that pack small and don't break carry-on rules? Or other advice on how we can all survive this?

There's no answer for 25 hours of travel with a 2 year old. I wouldn't do it, have your parents come visit you instead. We take a lot of trips and we load up the iPad with a bunch of movies she likes and she stays pretty occupied on that between her apps and movies. Coloring and Sticker books work for a while as well. Mostly just movies though. I ripped a bunch of Sesame Street DVD's and Disney movies to her iPad and they keep her entertained. Little Einstein compilation DVD's are a big hit as well.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

FishBulb posted:

I made all of Chris' purees and baby foods with just a plain ol' food processor.

I did have one of those old fashioned colanders though, that were shaped like a cone with the wooden pestle. That was pretty sweet for the fruit purees, but I got by just fine with a metal mesh pasta strainer and rubber spatula before I dug that up.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Does anyone know how to get Desitin out of a felt cat costume, and carpet, and the bathtub? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

skipdogg posted:

There's no answer for 25 hours of travel with a 2 year old. I wouldn't do it, have your parents come visit you instead. We take a lot of trips and we load up the iPad with a bunch of movies she likes and she stays pretty occupied on that between her apps and movies. Coloring and Sticker books work for a while as well. Mostly just movies though. I ripped a bunch of Sesame Street DVD's and Disney movies to her iPad and they keep her entertained. Little Einstein compilation DVD's are a big hit as well.

I wish that was an option, but unfortunately we either make the trip our we don't get to see my parents ever. It's a crappy situation, and we won't be doing it often for that reason.

I'll see about ripping some Sesame Street; he has seen very little TV at all so we're not really sure what will hold his interest - we had a no-screen policy until he was two and he still sees very little stuff because hardly watch anything ourselves.