Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

While I agree with the sentiment of this post, it's somewhat misleading to claim it was just advanced as Eurasia, especially without explaining what you mean by advanced. Politically? That is unquestionable. Economically? Probably, yes - enormous intertwined urbanization, trade routes, etc. existed, but there was little trading by sea - Mesoamerica and South America were almost entirely separated, with little to no contact, whereas all of Eurasia was interconnected. Technologically? Not even close - unfortunately, the New World lacked things including the wheel, a lot of machinery, and of course, sailing vessels.
Isn't there also the problem that Eurasia was covered in that poo poo from end to end, while the comparable states in the Americas were more limited? Sure, the Mesoamericans were pretty advanced, but were they really connected to comparable states? Hadn't the North American natives already seen their civilizations collapse to a significant degree, even if they remained connected to the vast trading networks? Looking at the average level of development, I'm not sure the two really compare in any categories?

E: Not that this is an argument that the current level of gameplay really lives up to the possibilities history presents. Just because some parts of America had been rocked by climate change (much like the Norse in Greenland) doesn't mean that the rest should be ignored as much as it appears they have been.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

ExtraNoise posted:

This is exactly how I play. I stick generally on levels 2-3 depending on what's happening.

Some update to the Modern Age mod:

I've got all the newspaper headers finally done! Wow, what an effort for something that almost no one will ever see. So I'm dumping them here for you to enjoy:

(Sorry for the hugely long image.) If there's any changes or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I tried to stay with real-world syndication in terms of design, though I took some liberties in what constituted "reactionary"/"fascist"/etc. Please don't get all butt-hurt if one of your favorite papers got put into one of these generalizations.

The names are (mostly) lifted straight from the same names used in the base game for each, if you're wondering. I only made a few changes here and there.

Any chance for some Canadian ones? Like http://www.nationalpost.com/index.html for Conservatives, http://www.cbc.ca/news/ for general, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/ for Liberals, http://www.torontosun.com/ for Reactionaries.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They just need to make the political map look like Strannik's HandDrawn Map, simple as that.

Best mod. Rip.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I suppose the germane question for EUIV is: Could a different path in the decades before European contact have any realistic chance of leading to a different fate for Native American states? I know we can game it and conquer the world with Iroqious and so forth, and I'd certainly love to see a much more fleshed out New World, but I'm not sure decisions made in 1453 would be enough to make a lot of changes, so I can forgive Paradox on this front. That said the rest of the non-European Old World will hopefully get much more attention this time around because there's no excuse for anything in Afro-Eurasia being treated in such a manner.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
I don't know why they don't at least try to divide Mesoamerica into the actual polities that existed at the time. The Maya could be split into a good four or five states at least, the Zapotec were not a centralized empire to rival the Aztecs, many of the starting regions under Aztec control could be independent as allies or vassals. It would make Mesoamerica actually somewhat interesting.

If I remember right Death and Taxes did a decent job at this, dunno why it takes a mod to model one of the most important regions in the world.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

a bad enough dude posted:

I don't know why they don't at least try to divide Mesoamerica into the actual polities that existed at the time. The Maya could be split into a good four or five states at least, the Zapotec were not a centralized empire to rival the Aztecs, many of the starting regions under Aztec control could be independent as allies or vassals. It would make Mesoamerica actually somewhat interesting.

Honestly I don't care. The Americas are there to be interesting from the perspective of people trying to colonise them, not interesting to play in their own right.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

If I remember right Death and Taxes did a decent job at this, dunno why it takes a mod to model one of the most important regions in the world.

The game is called EUROPA Universalis, not Fun History Universalis. :smug:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I suppose the germane question for EUIV is: Could a different path in the decades before European contact have any realistic chance of leading to a different fate for Native American states? I know we can game it and conquer the world with Iroqious and so forth, and I'd certainly love to see a much more fleshed out New World, but I'm not sure decisions made in 1453 would be enough to make a lot of changes, so I can forgive Paradox on this front. That said the rest of the non-European Old World will hopefully get much more attention this time around because there's no excuse for anything in Afro-Eurasia being treated in such a manner.

This is why I'm going to try and put together a Sunset Renaissance 1444 start date scenario as soon as possible for EUIV, where history goes as normal until the Sunset Invasion of the 1350s. (Disclaimer: I suck at modding.)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Honestly I don't care. The Americas are there to be interesting from the perspective of people trying to colonise them, not interesting to play in their own right.

That's great man, but listen: Some people actually enjoy playing something besides England or France. Some of us, I know it's hard to believe, enjoy the challenge of overcoming great odds as a struggling smaller nation amidst giants.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Alchenar posted:

That's a shame, considering the game is set during an interesting resurgence (and second collapse) of the Maya in the Yucatan and the rise and height of the Aztecs. Making an entire region of the game interesting for weirdos like me who actually care about history outside of western Europe by adding an event or two and dividing boring blobs doesn't seem like too much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Even though I'm really looking forward to EU4 it's kind of depressing how much stuff appears to be totally unchanged from EU3 where it would have been easy to make improvements, especially when CK2 is actually more accurate in some places (such as religion). I guess it's too much to expect them to improve things that most people aren't going to care about since they only play England, France or Spain.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

It's fairly unlikely. While there are certainly things that individual people could have done differently, there were also some much larger trends that couldn't really be bucked. Earth entered a small ice age, according to varying sources, either right before the EU3 time period or somewhere early in the EU3 time period that substantially disrupted Native American societies. Additionally, European contact brought diseases with extremely high mortality rates that further disrupted local societies. When Europeans arrived to try to conquer and colonize the Americas, they weren't fighting Native American societies at their peak; they were fighting Native American societies that had just experienced huge (negative) upheavals.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Dibujante posted:

It's fairly unlikely. While there are certainly things that individual people could have done differently, there were also some much larger trends that couldn't really be bucked. Earth entered a small ice age, according to varying sources, either right before the EU3 time period or somewhere early in the EU3 time period that substantially disrupted Native American societies. Additionally, European contact brought diseases with extremely high mortality rates that further disrupted local societies. When Europeans arrived to try to conquer and colonize the Americas, they weren't fighting Native American societies at their peak; they were fighting Native American societies that had just experienced huge (negative) upheavals.

In North and Central American societies I can agree with this, but I don't necessarily think this is accurate for South American societies like the Inca, which were affected much less by the Little Ice Age than more northern societies. I feel like the Inca Empire could have survived European contact if it wasn't for Atahualpa meeting the Spanish with only a small retinue of body guards; it certainly is possible that if he had taken a larger body guard then the Inca Empire could have survived contact.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

In North and Central American societies I can agree with this, but I don't necessarily think this is accurate for South American societies like the Inca, which were affected much less by the Little Ice Age than more northern societies. I feel like the Inca Empire could have survived European contact if it wasn't for Atahualpa meeting the Spanish with only a small retinue of body guards; it certainly is possible that if he had taken a larger body guard then the Inca Empire could have survived contact.

Yeah. The Incan empire is the greatest exception to this rule. The Spanish showed up during a time when the empire was under a great deal of internal distress, but it's easy to imagine that that might play out differently. It's harder to imagine that the little ice age wouldn't happen.

Also, they had potatoes. When will EU4 model potatoes? They're amazing.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Yeah, it looks like vanilla EU4's Americas are going to be pretty much as disappointing as EU3's. But, if EU4 ends up getting the same treatment as CK2 in regards to DLCs, we could very well see some improvement there. Look at how much love CK2 has gotten in a variety of different areas and only in the span of about a year.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Alchenar posted:

Guess what: representing Mesoamerica as something more than two or three big blobs makes it more interesting from the perspective of the people trying to colonise them. The colonial side of the EU is the most boring thing in the world at the moment, and adding some genuine strategic depth to the region would go a long way towards ameliorating that.

This is why the "it's about Europe :supaburn:" argument is complete horseshit, at the conceptual level: in a game about Europe encountering the rest of the world, reducing the rest of the world to a feeble caricature of itself reduces the European experience to a feeble caricature of itself.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

As far as I'm concerned, that's almost functionally the same thing. The detail needed to actually make the conquest of the New World states interesting is the same detail that would make them more interesting to play. What enabled the Spanish to conquer so much wasn't really that different from what the British would later do in India, using local allies and good timing to conquer vast swathes of land. The Spanish just had the additional advantages of their enemies getting wrecked by disease, as well as being technologically inferior. Similarly, wars between European empires and their local allies was a thing in both cases as well, which I have my doubts EU4 will model.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alchenar posted:

It fails pretty hard on that front as well. Colonizing wasn't the most fun thing to do in EU3 either. Its more of a slog then anything, considering there really isn't a threat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still doesn't make sense, because the Swedish nobility would probably be more French than Swedish. Put them in Paris, and they would be 100% French within the year. :france:

You're right. French culture was enormously prestigious in this period of time, and there is no way that the Swedish nobility wouldn't have started assimilating almost immediately - particularly if they had settled in Paris, which was the cultural center of Europe. In fact, much of the European aristocracy used French on a daily basis, even in countries that were nowhere near France.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
I wonder if there's any "survive Europe" achievement for those brave enough to try playing on ironman. I can already hear the sound of shattered dreams of a million nerds.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Phlegmish posted:

You're right. French culture was enormously prestigious in this period of time, and there is no way that the Swedish nobility wouldn't have started assimilating almost immediately - particularly if they had settled in Paris, which was the cultural center of Europe. In fact, much of the European aristocracy used French on a daily basis, even in countries that were nowhere near France.

Was French really set to become Europe's most prestigious culture as of 1444? I always thought of the primacy of French culture coming just a bit later, during the game's time span, but not before, so historical developments could very well change the way people looked at French culture.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

The other objection to this is that having three sizeable Mesoamerican powers in place by 1500 (rather than a more fractured political landscape) would make it a little tougher for the European powers to conquer. Without some significant improvements to Aztec, Mayan, etc. gameplay (which of course would be great on it's own merits), splitting the Mayans up means the first Europeans to come over can easily grab a foothold through one of the OPMs in the Yucatan peninsula rather than having to expend a tad more effort to annex all the Maya at once. Admittedly it makes things only marginally easier for Europe, but the idea is to give the Mesoamericans as much of a fighting chance as is possible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Was French really set to become Europe's most prestigious culture as of 1444? I always thought of the primacy of French culture coming just a bit later, during the game's time span, but not before, so historical developments could very well change the way people looked at French culture.

It's true that the height of French cultural dominance was in the eighteenth century, but that was the culmination of a gradual process that had been going on since the time of Charlemagne. For one thing, people tend to underestimate just how populous France was compared to the other European nations. If it had grown at the same rate as England since the sixteenth century, it would have had a population of more than 150 million today.

Of course, as you've said, maybe history followed a different course in that particular game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I would say it was. Even if we assume that France followed the same trajectory as the HRE*, it was still the most populous nation of Europe, making up a quarter of the total (non-Ruthenian) population. Chances are that it, much like Germany, would have been a source of court culture simply for that reason. France becoming the supreme culture of refinement probably requires a centralized France though, but I think the chances of that happening are pretty good as well. The Burgundians are waiting in the wings as an alternative to the main line sitting on the throne, and if all else fails there's still the "English" kings**. An "English" king would plant his rear end in Paris so fast that not a force on earth could convince him to go back to England again, and if they had any sense about them they would attempt to centralize their rule so no one would ever try something like the 100 Years War again. Plus France has a southern border that's a giant mountain chain, with a considerable smaller neighbor on the other side, and its western flank is water. Germany was surrounded on all sides by rivals.

*They're in pretty similar situations at the game's start really, France just got its poo poo together over the next 5 decades or so.
**For some time at least. I don't know if continued French instability might lead a new generation to attempt a conquest of France, instead of just deciding to focus on overseas adventures.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 20, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I wrote a giant post in the last thread about the New World and I guess it bears repeating since its come up again.

quote:

When it comes to the New World, unmodded EU3 has a bunch of pathetic pagan Native Americans losing battles despite 20x numerical advantage to tiny European armies which are then converted to 100% Catholic white European provinces after a few years of expense. In other provinces, the native population is either slaughtered wholesale in one battle or defended against for a short period of time until the entire population becomes 100% Catholic white European.

It is incorrect in two major ways. First of all, it portrays the Europeans being in total control of wide swaths of the Americas, when really Europeans were limited to small areas for long periods of time. In the frontiers, the only Spanish presence at all were missions. I'd almost prefer a Victoria 1-type approach. It'd be cool to fund missions in the frontier for religious benefits or trading posts in the wilderness to get trade goods without being in total control of the area. Really I think it'd be more appropriate to have a permanent settlement in Boston or Cartagena then once you get further inland, you see trading posts or missions that exist in the territory of Native Americans who still have autonomy. The NAs should have the advantage of being at home and being able to bring huge numbers to the fight while the Europeans should have to either spend huge sums of money to bring over and supply large technologically superior armies or exploit divisions in the natives to establish European control.

Secondly, it ignores entirely the ways that Europeans cooperated with and depended on the native population. Paradox portrays the wars the same way that traditional history does, as a small army of 'white gods' in armor with guns slaughtering thousands of hapless natives by themselves when in reality, the conquistadors had the assistance of thousands of Native Americans. The Spanish who ended the Aztec Empire did so with significant support from the Tlaxcallan nation. The Spanish who attacked the Inca took advantage of a civil war and supported a rival king. Putting the Europeans as the majority culture in colonies is incorrect, even taking into account the huge demographic changes brought on by the Columbian Exchange.

I think the solution should be two fold. There should be a claim mechanic. Europeans laid claim to huge areas of the New World but exercised real authority over very little of it. That way Spain or France or whoever can claim an area and other colonizers will have to take into account whether or not to challenge that claim to settle there and this would simulate the conflicts between the French, Spanish, English and Dutch over the colonies.

I imagine there could be a mechanic where Catholic nations have to deal with the Pope (or not deal with the Pope and face the consequences) to divvy it up between them. Within these claims, the colonizers can fund expeditions, go after natives within the claimed areas, create missions or trading posts that can co-exist with autonomous native states/tribes, and decide whether or not to allow religious minorities to create colonies.

Furthermore, the Native Americans need to be much much more robust in every way. They need to be able to stand up against any European army that is much smaller, they need to resist conversion/combine Christianity with their own beliefs and they need to endure in the culture of the colonies rather than disappearing instantly. Think about in the north, the Iroquois were existent and fighting in wars between France, Britain and the USA for centuries, rather than evaporating at the first contact with Europeans like they typically do in EU3. The smart play in EU4 should be to collaborate with the natives because that is how European 'conquest' worked out in nearly every corner of the globe. While their homes may have been part of some European power's territory in the European concept of sovereignty, the natives still held on to their religion, culture and autonomy for a long time and played huge roles in many conflicts.

A united Native American faction under a strong leader should be able to resist European advances, period. Europeans should either have to ship over a massive army at potentially nation-breaking expense to defeat them, find sources of manpower from other native factions, or find an accommodation to trade with the faction (The Europeans get trade goods they can sell for big money in Europe while the Native Americans get access to technology like firearms which can afford the player an opportunity to truly westernize).

It's more accurate I think and it also seems way more fun than the way the New World plays out currently because for Europeans, the New World is a bigger and unique challenge than steamrolling the New World every single time. You might run into a strong united Incan Empire that you have to trade with who ends up resisting European dominance. Or you might run into a disunited Incan Empire and you can gain control of the whole shebang (though the native population shouldn't be eliminated entirely and should stay present religiously and culturally unless the colonizer goes through the expense of uprooting all native religious traditions).

As a New World nation, you have to fight in pre-Columbian times to stay unified and strong and build strength much in the same way that European nations do. When the Europeans show up, you have to balance allowing their trade (and associated religious and technological effects) permeate through your society with preventing their influence from turning into dominance.

From what I've seen of the trade routes, administrative power and what I've heard about the coalition mechanic, I could see a lot of these mechanics repurposed to improve New World gameplay.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Alchenar posted:

I'm glad you think my people are just a road block for players to stomp over. :argh: I hate how colonization worked in EUIII. You declare war on the Aztecs, capture a few areas and *boom*, you own the entire area now. There has to be a better way for that work.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

A look at Japan's Shogunate and Ming's faction system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0VcKytUkRg

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Chief Savage Man posted:

I wrote a giant post in the last thread about the New World and I guess it bears repeating since its come up again.

From what I've seen of the trade routes, administrative power and what I've heard about the coalition mechanic, I could see a lot of these mechanics repurposed to improve New World gameplay.

Would it be better if the landing of a Spanish unit in Mesoamerica triggered the "spawn oppressed minorities" all over the continent?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
(two posts up)^^Ming is still looking kind of meh, but at least Japan's been improved.^^

Even if the New World hasn't been changed much, probably because it's just a low-priority area to the devs, I'm feeling very hopeful that if/when they release a DLC improving the area, they'll be able to put a lot of thought into how to make it more fun to play a native nation. I think the new DLC structure is really going to help a lot in improving areas that wouldn't get a lot of attention in the big expansions, like Africa, the Americas, and India.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Continuing with interface design for the Modern Age Mod:

Well... it's a start.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

And one more, this time some Indian state and the Timurids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkgmg02upc0

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

JGBeagle posted:

I'm glad you think my people are just a road block for players to stomp over. :argh: I hate how colonization worked in EUIII. You declare war on the Aztecs, capture a few areas and *boom*, you own the entire area now. There has to be a better way for that work.

What I always found completely ridiculous was how you'd assimilate native cultures the instant you converted them (though be fair, this is a problem with all Pagans, New World and African alike). Does the light of Jesus cause the entire native population to decide "Welp, we're Spanish now,", or is it just a (really bad) way of simulating the devastating effect Old Word diseases had?

If Paradox is going to going with the CK2 model for EU4, I guess there's always at least hope for a DLC that makes playing New World nations worthwhile.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I have this feeling that it would be incredibly sad and devastating to play as a New World nation in EU4, once the Europeans arrive. Seeing your glorious empire rapidly unravel and depopulate thanks to massive plagues over a few decades would not be very fun.

ExtraNoise posted:

Well... it's a start.

I like that interface, especially that cool glowy blue black map. It looks a lot better than the EvW interface, in my opinion, and really makes me pine even more for a true grand-strategy Cold War/Post-Cold War game.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 21, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ExtraNoise posted:

Well... it's a start.

Well, the tabs at the top look pretty hideous, but I kinda like them, they look like the little colour coded tabs in a binder, I assume that's what you were going for? Also, love the minimap.

Edit: Maybe make the writing on the tabs up top black?

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 21, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

ExtraNoise posted:

Well... it's a start.

I'm going to echo the sentiment that the tabs on top don't look good. I think it's that the colorful icons are clashing with the plain dark gray. The mini-map, on the other hand, looks good. Has a nice Shadow President feel to it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't understand the amount of complaining about EU4's New World. It's not that it isn't woefully inaccurate, it is (I really need to read 1491 some day), it's that this is one of the most mod-friendly game lines in existence, where a historically accurate and dynamic America could easily be created without an official DLC of any kind. I'm probably going to get answers that will completely destroy my previous point, but what kind of new mechanics would be needed to flesh out the New World?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kavak posted:

I'm probably going to get answers that will completely destroy my previous point, but what kind of new mechanics would be needed to flesh out the New World?
It's important to note that the conversation began by someone saying that it shouldn't be up to mods to make parts of the game fun/interesting of their own accord. :v: I don't know how I personally feel on the matter.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kavak posted:

I don't understand the amount of complaining about EU4's New World. It's not that it isn't woefully inaccurate, it is (I really need to read 1491 some day), it's that this is one of the most mod-friendly game lines in existence, where a historically accurate and dynamic America could easily be created without an official DLC of any kind. I'm probably going to get answers that will completely destroy my previous point, but what kind of new mechanics would be needed to flesh out the New World?

In the Iroqouis nations during the French and Indian war there was a guy called "The Half King" who had a shitload of leverage then suddenly didn't and was trying to find a way of restoring his power. Directly in front of George Washington he and a band of Indians attacked a French messenger who was looking for Washington to give him the usual "This is French lands get the gently caress off" notice. Washington eventually gets utterly destroyed by another faction of the Iroquois and other native tribes who were working with the French and were also pissed off at Washington's superior telling them he wasn't allotting land to any savage folk. The guy who accepts Washington's surrender, being the brother of the messenger, writes it in French; which Washington nor can any of his troops read. In the terms of surrender is a declaration that Washington, not the Iroquois, killed a known messenger which is in violation of international law dating back to pre-history. British poo poo their pants because the French got a major casus belle and would look like the good guys in any upcoming war.

As it stands now in EUIII there would be no reason to ally with the Iroquois as a colonial power since it is faster to just annex them. Secondly there is no inter-country politics to meddle with so if the Iroquois managed to survive contact they would either be a hard ally with one or the other power. There would be no playing both sides off against the middle as occured in real life. There was a point in time where the Iroquois were importing enough firearms that they could have survived contact.

Also if you learn the history of Washington before the Revolutionary War you'll find he was a pretty big fuckup who was wholly incompetent for the rank and posts he was given. Not that he was stellar during the Revolutionary War either, he was carried by Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben and Marquis de La Fayette.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 21, 2013

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I have this feeling that it would be incredibly sad and devastating to play as a New World nation in EU4, once the Europeans arrive. Seeing your glorious empire rapidly unravel and depopulate thanks to massive plagues over a few decades would not be very fun.

I like that interface, especially that cool glowy blue black map. It looks a lot better than the EvW interface, in my opinion, and really makes me pine even more for a true grand-strategy Cold War/Post-Cold War game.
I'm a fan of the black glowy maps for the Cold War era, but I don't think it works well for the time period afterwards. For the modern era a simple blue+green+brown terrain map would better match the aesthetic of the time, or even better, a more realistic terrain/sattelite map (assuming it looks pretty when small).

Overall, I'm sort of thinking a Windows 95 aesthetic would work well for the mod given that it is, after all, the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

Well... it's a start.

While they are a bit ugly, I like the top tabs, they make the interface look kind of like a bloomberg terminal.

Which, considering the entire point of the game, would be quite appropriate.

• Locked thread