Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Ardennes posted:

I think I will use "the" in front of every highway name until I die, it is too ingrained in my brain at this point to stop.

Eventually the rest of humanity to have to learn to conform.

In Las Vegas, we call the main freeway "I-15", but everything else is "the 215", "the 95", and so on. It's linguistic anthropology - I-15 was built before a bunch of Californians moved here, and all the others were built (or expanded into major thoroughfares) afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

withak posted:

Oakland is a pretty big place, if you don't want to live in the equivalent of Richmond or Vallejo then you don't have to.

My friend in Rockridge had a guy shot on her corner when he refused to give his wallet to a mugger and also had her neighbor's house burgled. Piedmont is probably safe but if you can afford to live there then you can afford to live in SF.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think what we can all agree on is that the Bay Area is terrible and that Southern California is the best California.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

krysmopompas posted:

Yeah, but consider the downsides to Wisconsin - you have a grand total of 1 possible employer unless you retire, change industries, or do your own thing (good luck hiring.)
If/when that happens, I'm not going to care about game industry infrastructure. Besides, the last decade's trend toward industry consolidation and wholesale game dev purchases by publishers is leading into a huge collapse. Some of these devs are leaving the industry, but a lot of them are forming small companies. It's also happening in California, which I think is a great thing. The company I'm at is one of the few mid-sized independent devs around, but there seem to be a lot of small companies chugging along all over the place.

It was especially a shame to see San Diego's developer scene dry up so quickly, but some small studios (like NimbleBit) came out of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I think what we can all agree on is that the Bay Area is terrible and that Southern California is the best California.

gently caress you! You are exactly wrong!

withak posted:

Oakland is a pretty big place, if you don't want to live in the equivalent of Richmond or Vallejo then you don't have to.

Oakland has tons of neighborhoods and some are very bad and some are very good, and often the very good neighborhoods are like 5 blocks from the very bad neighborhoods. When we were house shopping in 2009 we saw some very nice areas that we decided against only because my wife would have to walk through some hellhole to get to BART. Some of the intermediary neighborhoods have fairly reasonable pricing, too.

FMguru posted:

Or East Palo Alto, or Vallejo, or Richmond, or Fairfield...

Of course, there are reasons why those places are several notches cheaper than media Bay Area prices...

Yeah. But you can also head for San Leandro, or Concord, or Pittsburgh/Bay Point, or San Mateo, or El Cerrito. There are intermediary cities that are not ridiculously expensive (well, by Bay Area standards) but are also not too murdery. And are still on BART. These are the places your San Francisco blue-collar and service worker people live, which is why BART ridership is extremely heavy these days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

gently caress you! You are exactly wrong!

Hell, I might even say that Orange County is the best thing about this whole state. You know what they say, "As goes the OC, so goes the nation"

John Nance Garner
Aug 16, 2012

Bring your bourbon and cigars to the "Bureau of Education".
Oh! Is this now Wisconsin chat? Right guys?....Right? :smith:

Y'all hate on I-5, but I-8 from Tucson to San Diego is one of the most diverse and beautiful drives I've been on. I'd love to move to California if I wasn't poor and indebted.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FCKGW posted:

Hell, I might even say that Orange County is the best thing about this whole state. You know what they say, "As goes the OC, so goes the nation"
Just because its true doesnt mean its best. :qq:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big tech companies in the Bay Area should be required by law to build Judge Dredd Megablocks to house their employees.

You could even have block wars between the Steve Jobs and Larry Page megablocks.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

You know what they say, "As goes the OC, so goes the nation"

Don't call it that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just love that Rancho Santa Margarita plays the fictional pedo-haven Sudden Valley in the new season of Arrested Development.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

FMguru posted:

Of course, there are reasons why those places are several notches cheaper than media Bay Area prices...

I don't know how long EPA will be part of that group...every time I come back and see whiskey gulch replaced by a Four Seasons I'm weirded out. Can you still close your eyes and figure out when you've crossed into Palo Alto by how lovely the road is on University?

Also as a northerner living in a strange land I will say that while living in LA has exceeded my expectations...those expectations were very low. NorCal = BestCal

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

withak posted:

I'm actually living in Richmond right now, it's a really quiet neighborhood near the del Norte BART.

Of course the other night my buddy slept through his BART stop and wound up wandering around the Iron Triangle at 1:00 a.m. cause he had to get off at Richmond BART and his phone was dead. Different story.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
It feels weird to read this and be in neither SF or SoCal. :frogbon:

We just call it (and I'm giving myself away here), "99" or "80", while on the rare occasion, we call it "THE Five"

In any case, keep fighting, it's hella entertaining. :munch:

:ninja: edit:
NorCal

VS

SoCal

NorCal is the Superior Cal

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 20, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hey now, SoCal is great once you learn to hold your breath for extended periods of time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Having lived in both the Bay Area is nice but it's inhabited by the up tightest people possible.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question for our Nor Cal neighbors. Do you have any stations like KCRW? KCRW's best known for it's talk shows and its contemporary (but not top-40) music programming.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I have a question for our Nor Cal neighbors. Do you have any stations like KCRW? KCRW's best known for it's talk shows and its contemporary (but not top-40) music programming.

KALW and KQED are the two main SF public radio stations. KQED does more talk and KALW has some music and more local coverage.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

RandomPauI posted:

Uh, we have NPR, I have a tote somewhere, which has a lot of the same programming, but has specific local shows that are interspersed.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Illuminado posted:

It feels weird to read this and be in neither SF or SoCal.

We just call it (and I'm giving myself away here), "99" or "80", while on the rare occasion, we call it "THE Five"

In any case, keep fighting, it's hella entertaining.

edit:
NorCal

VS

SoCal

Oh downtown how I miss thee. (lol)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Oh downtown how I miss thee. (lol)

LA looks like the Dredd megacity

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Illuminado posted:

NorCal

VS

SoCal

Yes, Sacramento has no smog at all.

Sacramento has one weird freeway thing: "biz80" (all one word). Call it anything else and you're not from around here (really old people are allowed to still call it 80).

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Dusseldorf posted:

Having lived in both the Bay Area is nice but it's inhabited by the up tightest people possible.

You would think with all the cannabis being smoked everyone would be super chill.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I'm a big Californian stupidhead who can't post in the right thread.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 20, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Obdicut posted:

There's also no reason to believe Trayvon knew Zimmerman had gotten out of his car. He might have made it to his house but decided not to go in and instead try to see where the creepy-rear end car-driver was.

This poo poo is spreading everywhere.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Illuminado posted:

NorCal

VS

SoCal

Bullshit. I can't trust air I can't see. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like the article on apartments of the future for the Bay Area:
(Only $1600 a month)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

etalian posted:

(Only $1600 a month)

Rapidly approaching just straight up dystopia.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dunno what the problem there is -- there's nothing more relaxing than coming home from a 14-hour day at the startup, cracking open a beer and chilling out on the couch to see what's on the kitchen sink.

Bonus if it drips.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Rapidly approaching just straight up dystopia.

My favorite design feature is the toilet being inside the shower stall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26uhyKV3aAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MThgocKFPuw

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not sure who would win the brewery wars, but Stone in the South vs Sierra Nevada in the North would be a brutal slugfest.

North Coast's Old Rasputin is probably the best Imperial Stout (from California). Lagunitas is up north too. Firestone Walker is kind of central.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 20, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

duodenum posted:

I'm not sure who would win the brewery wars, but Stone in the South vs Sierra Nevada in the North would be a brutal slugfest.

North Coast's Old Rasputin is probably the best Imperial Stout (from California). Lagunitas is up north too. Firestone Walker is kind of central.

Individual beers are a matter of opinion, but on average the North wins handily.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Fairfield has nothing to recommend itself, really. Though on the plus side, it's only an hour or less from a lot of places that are actually interesting.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Cubelodyte posted:

Fairfield has nothing to recommend itself, really. Though on the plus side, it's only an hour or less from a lot of places that are actually interesting.
What about the neverending roar of military transports taking off and landing 24 hours a day? Doesn't that count?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Funny you should mention that; I live only about a mile from the nearest fence-edge of Travis AFB. I don't find noise from the airbase bad at all, really. When I moved here in 1998 flight paths were often over our neighborhood, so yes, it was kinda loudish. It really didn't bother me since I grew up in San Diego close to the then Miramar NAS; screaming fighters overhead was just part of a normal day when I was a kid. At some point, though, Travis stopped flying directly over the houses to the west (where I live) and now seem to spend all their time droning over the fields and river to the south and east. It's quite rare these days to have a C-5 thundering over the backyard.

At night you can hear them throttling way up on the tarmac, though. Either they're conducting different operations at night or somehow the sound doesn't carry during the day. Beats me which.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Cubelodyte posted:

Jelly Belly Factory :getin:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

etalian posted:

(Only $1600 a month)

At this point they should rip the wheels off an RV and start stacking them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FCKGW posted:

Shipping container apartments are already a thing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

FCKGW posted:

The prototypes have been around for a while. Of course the architect-dream ones are not what we will all end up actually living in.

http://design-milk.com/12-homes-made-from-shipping-containers/

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodeling-design/photos/8-eye-catching-shipping-container-homes/a-new-kind-of-living

http://humble-homes.com/mobile-homes-a-transforming-shipping-container-house/

We'll get something more like this:

http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/181679951.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
http://rarelyknown.org/2010/11/18/chinese-workers-live-in-shipping-containers-sad-photos/

Though honestly I have been working on very cheap, sustainable build outs and would like to make a container home in SLO.

• Locked thread