Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Ignoranceisbliss88 posted:

I've been researching 1811 jobs for quite some time and talked to a number of recruiters/agents on and off the record. From what I've gathered, these positions are extremely competitive. A JD isn't an entrance ticket, or even much of a boost. Agencies have an idea of what they want an agent to be and look at the person and a person's life as a whole. I've heard of countless 30+ year old current Police detectives, former military, with a JD types who get passed over in favor of a 22-25 year old with little or no experience who fit the mold. In doing all this research a common denominator is an outraged graduate degree toting civilian with a feeling of entitlement. I'm not saying that this is you, but that the process is very different from the civilian sector. I'd also venture to say that 1811 positions are more competitive than the vast majority of civilian sector jobs. Not many professions offer you amazing career stability, 100k+ a year (GS-13) with great benefits and retirement, and a chance to do some pretty exciting/interesting/abnormal/difference making work.

I'm about to graduate with a Finance/Accounting degree (generally very sought after by agencies) and have four years of combat arms military experience (qualified as a disabled veteran). This gives me a pretty solid leg up for most agencies (or than the FBI) yet I still expect to get rejected over and over again. My plan is to get a job in the finance sector while shot gunning applications to all the 1811 positions I'm interested in. I expect that if I ever do land a job, it will take years to go through the process. Most of the agents I've chatted with also mentioned that it took them years to land the job.

I'm probably more familiar with 1811 hiring than the vast majority of applicants. My problem isn't so much with not getting hired (though I certainly do have a problem with it), but not even being allowed to start the process is dumb, and it's hard to see how I'm not at least a good enough candidate for that. The opacity of the process makes it even worse, since you get no feedback on why exactly they felt you weren't even worth looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

When did you graduate? Maybe they figure if you entered a JD program after 2008, you must not be very bright.

Applied in 2007, entered Fall 2008. Right on that borderline of "that was dumb" and "I'm willfully destroying myself."

I'm not saying that this is you

You pretty much did, but sure, I'll play along. It's not outrage, it's disappointment I'm in employment limbo five years out of undergrad and the realization that I could've gone farther with 4 years in the Peace Corps supervising irrigation canal projects or whatever, rather than wasting three years cramming for a field that's in a downward spiral :smith:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I've been researching 1811 jobs for quite some time and talked to a number of recruiters/agents on and off the record. From what I've gathered, these positions are extremely competitive. A JD isn't an entrance ticket, or even much of a boost. Agencies have an idea of what they want an agent to be and look at the person and a person's life as a whole. I've heard of countless 30+ year old current Police detectives, former military, with a JD types who get passed over in favor of a 22-25 year old with little or no experience who fit the mold. In doing all this research a common denominator is an outraged graduate degree toting civilian with a feeling of entitlement. I'm not saying that this is you, but that the process is very different from the civilian sector.
But considering I basically fit "outraged graduate degree toting civilian with a feeling of entitlement" myself, I am even more confused now. Well, except for the entitlement part, but you could probably argue that even for having the gall to apply for this position I was acting fairly entitled.

Now I am even more confused as to why I got to take the entrance exam, though, so that is a plus. I guess it must be related to the fact that I wrote an award-winning (not as impressive as it sounds) master's thesis on surveillance and identity documentation, heavily focusing on the USA, which certainly seems right up the "detecting fraudulent identities" part of the Secret Service's alley.

But yeah, Feed Me A Cat, the federal government is the only employer(-writ-large) outside of academia that actually seems to care about education, and I feel like other agencies' Special Agents listings often specifically mention law degrees as a useful potential avenue (I went the LSAT route once upon a time in hopes of taking that route to federal law enforcement, actually; I mean, they have a specific type of entry job just for law degree possessors, do they not?).

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Quarex posted:

But yeah, Feed Me A Cat, the federal government is the only employer(-writ-large) outside of academia that actually seems to care about education, and I feel like other agencies' Special Agents listings often specifically mention law degrees as a useful potential avenue (I went the LSAT route once upon a time in hopes of taking that route to federal law enforcement, actually; I mean, they have a specific type of entry job just for law degree possessors, do they not?).

Not sure about the entry level job, but that's probably just me never having seen it. Applied for FBI special agent back in March on a Monday, got a reply e-mail that I was qualified for the next round of testing that Thursday, got super excited. Then the following Monday was notified that the application process was suspended due to lack of funds :smithicide:

On the bright side, I'm scheduled for a round of testing for a Border Patrol Agent position with CBP on the 16th. Feeling pretty good about it since the Logical Reasoning portion is a scaled-down LSAT and I did well enough on the sample test for that and the artificial language battery.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You guys are making me feel a bit discouraged. I know some FBI Special Agent positions require two/three years of professional work experience besides the education component which I've just recently completed. I was hoping to start the application process soon and (hopefully? maybe?) get in with a couple years. I know the sequester isn't helping matters here but I was still remaining hopeful...am I deluding myself or should I just expect an uphill battle?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Everybody wants to be Fox Mulder but nobody wants to deal with the ridicule/rejection.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Seamonster posted:

Everybody wants to be Fox Mulder but nobody wants to deal with the ridicule/rejection.

Thanks for the advice? Who is being ridiculed here besides myself and the other people hoping to get these jobs, and by your post. I can't imagine anyone who goes through the application process to these types of jobs thinks it's going to be a cakewalk and they're guaranteed a spot. I suppose I probably shouldn't have even posted my previous question/concerned since I already know the answer: it's a popular and appealing job with a lot of very qualified individuals applying for it. It's not impossible to get those jobs but it will take time and patience if you want to be successful.

Good luck Kase Im Licht, Quarex, Ignoranceisbliss88 and Feed Me A Cat in your 1811 job searches.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Sirotan posted:

You guys are making me feel a bit discouraged. I know some FBI Special Agent positions require two/three years of professional work experience besides the education component which I've just recently completed. I was hoping to start the application process soon and (hopefully? maybe?) get in with a couple years. I know the sequester isn't helping matters here but I was still remaining hopeful...am I deluding myself or should I just expect an uphill battle?

Sorry, FBI Special Agent apps are closed until a yet to be determined date. When I applied in March, the hiring period started March 1st and ended March 15th I believe? The form e-mail I got implies that my application was not tossed out, but frozen in place until the Sequestersaurus goes away.

quote:

Due to the budgetary issues which are currently affecting the federal government, Special Agent application processing has been suspended.

If you submitted an application online and are deemed eligible for Phase I testing, you will be notified when testing resumes.

My guess is there won't be another batch of hiring until they process the block of "you're not a drug-using, felony-having member of a hate group, yay" candidates I was in. Better luck next year :smith:

Ignoranceisbliss88
Jun 9, 2012

by Pipski

Quarex posted:

But considering I basically fit "outraged graduate degree toting civilian with a feeling of entitlement" myself, I am even more confused now. Well, except for the entitlement part, but you could probably argue that even for having the gall to apply for this position I was acting fairly entitled.

Now I am even more confused as to why I got to take the entrance exam, though, so that is a plus. I guess it must be related to the fact that I wrote an award-winning (not as impressive as it sounds) master's thesis on surveillance and identity documentation, heavily focusing on the USA, which certainly seems right up the "detecting fraudulent identities" part of the Secret Service's alley.

Look at how your resume and online application is written. I talked extensively with a higher level customs recruiting agent who took the time to come talk to my veterans group. He was adamant that you had to tailor your government resume to the computer system that all these agencies use to screen their applications. The computer just scans and picks up key terms and rejects/passes your resume before it even gets to human eyes. He said that basically everything you learn on how to write a civilian resume (concise, quantitative, short) doesn't apply to government agencies. It's pretty common for 1811 jobs to get 30 or 40 applicants for every position. They don't possibly have the time to look at every resume with human eyes.

Finally, veterans and current government employees can really crush you too (depending on the agency). Say there's 10,000 applicants for 250 spots at an agency and 4,000 of them are veterans or get preference for already being a government employee. Say the agency rates 2,000/10,000 of the applicants as most qualified based on experience, education, whatever but for logistical reasons can only interview 750 people for the spots. Well of those 2,000, 800 will be veterans or current government employees and will usually get preference. I think its the ATF or DEA that basically has ONLY hired veterans in the last like 5 years. They have literally so many highly qualified people that they don't, or sometimes legally can't, bring in non-veterans. Think of it this way. You may have graduated from a T14 law school, won a bunch of awards, and have five years of experience, but there's someone else who graduated from a T14 law school, won a bunch of awards, has five years of experience, AND is a veteran/current gov. employee.

I'd also consider that once you become an 1811 it's relatively easy to transfer between agencies. Most of the rules are the same, and the retirement/benefits are identical. I know it's quite common to have agents switch between 2 or 3 agencies (and sometimes back and forth) over their careers. Look at some of the less well-known agencies. Once you have that 1811 on your resume you're in the system.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been a Supervisor at UPS for the past 5+ years, have 60 college credits and have been accepted to a large state university for this fall. I don't trust UPS to let management keep its pension by the time I retire so I'm looking at jobs on usajobs , but I dont know what I would be qualified for? My major at College is information systems, but staring down probably 3 years of 17k tuition I wonder if I could just skip it for a cushy .gov job. Any advice?

WS6 97 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 12, 2013

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Finally, veterans and current government employees can really crush you too (depending on the agency). Say there's 10,000 applicants for 250 spots at an agency and 4,000 of them are veterans or get preference for already being a government employee. Say the agency rates 2,000/10,000 of the applicants as most qualified based on experience, education, whatever but for logistical reasons can only interview 750 people for the spots. Well of those 2,000, 800 will be veterans or current government employees and will usually get preference. I think its the ATF or DEA that basically has ONLY hired veterans in the last like 5 years. They have literally so many highly qualified people that they don't, or sometimes legally can't, bring in non-veterans. Think of it this way. You may have graduated from a T14 law school, won a bunch of awards, and have five years of experience, but there's someone else who graduated from a T14 law school, won a bunch of awards, has five years of experience, AND is a veteran/current gov. employee.

^Summary of my USAJobs experience to date. I've lost track of how many rejection e-mails I've gotten from all sorts of agencies and positions that said they couldn't even look at my application because of the number of qualified veterans. The frustrating bit for me is all the people I know who flat out don't believe me when I tell them I'm not getting into the US Foreign Service, ATF, DEA, etc. because there are vets with JDs or other grad degrees applying in large numbers.

"BUT MY AUNT'S FRIEND'S KID GOT INTO THE FOREIGN SERVICE WITH JUST A MASTERS." Sure they did, in 2003.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Feed Me A Cat posted:

"BUT MY AUNT'S FRIEND'S KID GOT INTO THE FOREIGN SERVICE WITH JUST A MASTERS." Sure they did, in 2003.
I am sorry your friends and family are jerks. I have the opposite problem, where I cannot convince them that maybe if I were not so incompetent I would have an easier time getting these jobs. "Well, it's tough out there for everyone right now." "I know, but ... I mean, I cannot even get hired by a temp agency." "Yep, real tough job market" "I AM INCOMPETENT, LISTEN TO ME"

Have you been paying attention to your scores? Well, I suppose that suggests you are applying to the kinds of jobs that give you scores. As I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, I suddenly noticed that the job types I thought were most right for me (program analyst/management analyst) were actually giving me reliably poor scores and clearly I needed to stop thinking they wanted me just because I have, in fact, analyzed programs and management.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does anyone work at the Jackson Federal Building in Seattle? I'm trying to find out how much employee parking is or if it's free?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Quarex posted:

Have you been paying attention to your scores? Well, I suppose that suggests you are applying to the kinds of jobs that give you scores. As I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, I suddenly noticed that the job types I thought were most right for me (program analyst/management analyst) were actually giving me reliably poor scores and clearly I needed to stop thinking they wanted me just because I have, in fact, analyzed programs and management.

Citizenship and Immigration Services were the only agency to provide me a score, I believe it was a 78? Based on the rejection that followed a bit later, I'm guessing that's not even close.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

mcpringles posted:

Does anyone work at the Jackson Federal Building in Seattle? I'm trying to find out how much employee parking is or if it's free?

There is no parking at all period except for bicycles and motorcyclists (both free). Public transportation or pay to use a commercial garage.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Citizenship and Immigration Services were the only agency to provide me a score, I believe it was a 78? Based on the rejection that followed a bit later, I'm guessing that's not even close.
Yeah, I was getting high 70s and low-mid 80s in some types of jobs I thought sounded like a good fit, and then when someone posted "here is a dump of the cutoff scores for jobs in various places" and the lowest score was a 96 or 97, I understood why they say "mark 'E' for every single question if there is any way whatsoever that you can justify it."

The subtext there seems to be "if you cannot justify answering 'E' almost every time, do not bother applying." (I checked recently and found that I have quit out of about 1 in 4 applications when I realized by the end of the second page of questions that there was no chance I would make the 90s)

Of course, then there are the applications that want to know things like whether you were in an honor society in high school that make me want to put my head down on my desk and stop applying.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Quarex posted:

Of course, then there are the applications that want to know things like whether you were in an honor society in high school that make me want to put my head down on my desk and stop applying.

Have you mastered a hobby well enough to the point where other people have paid you to do it? :downs: I've applied to three Department of Labor jobs that required that wall of radio buttons to be filled out. Couple of weeks after the first rejection I had the option of using a previous score. I remember thinking to myself "Man, why would I want to re-use such a low score, I mean I got rejected- wait, I had a 92? Sheeeeeeeeit."

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

There is no parking at all period except for bicycles and motorcyclists (both free). Public transportation or pay to use a commercial garage.

The building on 2nd and Madison? I could have sworn there was was parking under the building with an entrance on the north side of the building? I'm thinking of transferring to Seattle and would be in that building.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Have you mastered a hobby well enough to the point where other people have paid you to do it? :downs: I've applied to three Department of Labor jobs that required that wall of radio buttons to be filled out.
Ahaha, yeah, that is true. That question struck me as being so unnecessarily unusual when I first saw it. It is like they only want to hire the kind of people who moonlight as guitar players or stand-up comedians. Fortunately for me, I think anything you have never been formally employed doing could be called a "hobby" if done primarily for fun. So I have a few of those things I have been paid (or received gifts with a tangible dollar amount attached) for, so that clearly counts--if not, then yeah, I seriously have no idea why they are so concerned about having freelance jazz singers working for them.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Historically, how quickly do positions begin appearing after a hiring freeze ends? I'm a non-GS civilian contractor and may be getting downsized after October, which coincidentally is when the new fiscal year begins and the hiring freeze will (please God, please) come to an end.

Expecting a bonanza of jobs to materialize the very next day isn't realistic, but is there a typical timeframe for positions to start showing up on USAJobs?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Suntory BOSS posted:

Historically, how quickly do positions begin appearing after a hiring freeze ends? I'm a non-GS civilian contractor and may be getting downsized after October, which coincidentally is when the new fiscal year begins and the hiring freeze will (please God, please) come to an end.

Expecting a bonanza of jobs to materialize the very next day isn't realistic, but is there a typical timeframe for positions to start showing up on USAJobs?
It's gonna come quick, I think- supervisors are desperate to fill those billets. If congress can't pass an FY14 budget, the hiring freeze may continue, though. Might be other deep cuts to personnel driven to eliminate FY14 furloughs, eliminating those vacant billets, too. (Not that the vacant billets are unnecessary, but when cuts get pushed down, supervisors tend to cut vacant billets rather than lay off an employee, even if the vacant billet is arguable the more important one.)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Anyone else have a crapload of both non-eligible and retirement eligible people leaving? Since the start of the year, it seems that a bunch of people are either retiring or getting out of government service entirely in my agency.

We've lost quite a few in my job series in the last year and a half to resignation and retirement and haven't really replaced them.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Anyone else have a crapload of both non-eligible and retirement eligible people leaving? Since the start of the year, it seems that a bunch of people are either retiring or getting out of government service entirely in my agency.

We've lost quite a few in my job series in the last year and a half to resignation and retirement and haven't really replaced them.

Nearly half the people I work with are retirement eligible or within 5 years of it. Those who are younger have been looking for promotions in other agencies, and we have had about five jump ship to other agencies, or left the agency altogether. Since I transferred here last September, they only have hired one new person, and we have four empty manager spots.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Sounds like it's about time to get out the drowning tub.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

State is doing a 1:2 replacement right now, although my office has actually brought in more federal employees since the sequester started so I don't know.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Which agency is your agency?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

NintyFresh posted:

Nearly half the people I work with are retirement eligible or within 5 years of it.

I wish I had the exact statistic but I remember being told at one of our quarterly meetings that something like 50-60% of our workforce is within 5 years of retirement; we have a ton of boomers, very few people in their forties or late 30s, and then a small blip of twenty-to-early-thirtysomethings. Which makes it really nice for promotion potential for me; I'm already a GS-13 at age 29 and basically everyone above me is already eligible for retirement.

How we're going to handle the workload is another issue; I'll be taking over a new program in a few weeks that needs a lot more attention than my current one, but they still don't have anyone to replace me on my current one, so guess who's still going to be supporting the old one, too. And all that in my mandatory 32 hours per week for the rest of the fiscal year.

I absolutely love being busy, but it's immensely frustrating to have work to do and not be allowed to do it.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 22, 2013

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
At the age of 30, I am the single youngest full time staff member in my agency. The average person who works here has between 25 and 30 years in and can retire soon.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Dod downsizing in the 90s and a great economy left huge generational gaps in many depts. There were few hires, and jr people at the time were all rifd or bailed for better jobs elsewhere. Hence why so many of us made 13 so young, I think.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 22, 2013

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Hello Fed Goons,

I will be graduating with a Masters in Accounting in spring 2015. I heard that the federal hiring process is notoriously slow (from application, to contact, to getting hired). When would be the best time to start applying to get a job sometime around my graduation? Secondary question if you can help, what agencies would be best for someone with an accounting/finance background who is not interested in the IRS?

Some back story:
I have a job at a small CPA firm, and would prefer to stay in the private industry after I finish college. However, I would like to keep my options open by exploring the public sector as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
FBI, if they're hiring and you're interested in that side of things.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Diplomat posted:

Hello Fed Goons,

I will be graduating with a Masters in Accounting in spring 2015. I heard that the federal hiring process is notoriously slow (from application, to contact, to getting hired). When would be the best time to start applying to get a job sometime around my graduation? Secondary question if you can help, what agencies would be best for someone with an accounting/finance background who is not interested in the IRS?

When I got hired as a DOD librarian, I think I applied in May or June, interviewed in August or September, was selected in October, and began work in January.

For librarians (federal or not), though, that's pretty standard.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
They told us it would be ten business days to get our results for the Secret Service exam. On one hand, I feel like I should not be surprised that nearly 20 business days later nothing has happened. On the other, I found that when they actually give deadlines they tend to mean them. How long is appropriate to wait before contacting the office to be all "uhhhhh, so, uhhhh"

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Quarex posted:

They told us it would be ten business days to get our results for the Secret Service exam. On one hand, I feel like I should not be surprised that nearly 20 business days later nothing has happened. On the other, I found that when they actually give deadlines they tend to mean them. How long is appropriate to wait before contacting the office to be all "uhhhhh, so, uhhhh"

Three months.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Quarex posted:

This is actually your first applicant test. You always multiply government estimates by a factor of 5.

Adapting to Windows 7 in a year? No, we'll push it out in 5 years when it's not being sold any more.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Customs is hiring. Law enforcement mixed with customs, immigration work. Pay's good.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

kys posted:

Customs is hiring. Law enforcement mixed with customs, immigration work. Pay's good.

Applied just now. I notice the pay band is a little low on the USAJobs posting, $31,315.00 to $38,790.00 / Per Year; are there other stipends, COLA, etc. they left out of that figure?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think COLA is ever listed even though they know where the position is/will be.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Applied just now. I notice the pay band is a little low on the USAJobs posting, $31,315.00 to $38,790.00 / Per Year; are there other stipends, COLA, etc. they left out of that figure?

AUO. Before the sequester, you could probably add in 25%. Now, I don't know if CBP is paying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

AUO. Before the sequester, you could probably add in 25%. Now, I don't know if CBP is paying it.

Assuming they're not paying AUO, how does that work out in practice? Go home because we can't pay you for more hours?