Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Revvik posted:

If I could afford it, I totally would have, that is seriously one gorgeous instrument. I'm going to see if I can find an Artcore or something to play around with, idk.

And I may go back and try to haggle with them if it's still there after a couple weeks.

I love the sound of a hollowbody bass, I just have no use for mine at the moment... It's such a unique sound. The Artcores are pretty good, I never found one I was absolutely crazy about. If you come across an Epiphone Jack Casady bass, they're pretty cool too, and have a Vari-Tone type control. Eastwood also makes a nice little short-scale hollowbody. Chances of finding one of those in person is pretty slim though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Revvik posted:

If I could afford it, I totally would have, that is seriously one gorgeous instrument. I'm going to see if I can find an Artcore or something to play around with, idk.

And I may go back and try to haggle with them if it's still there after a couple weeks.

In the meantime, I walked out of there with a $50 Premier P-Bass with nonworking electronics. It is currently scattered in pieces all over my living room.

The pickup wiring on it was done by tying the wires together and capping it with masking tape. I had a replacement volume and tone pot wired to a Duncan SP3 Quarter Pounder ready to drop in about 20 minutes after I got home, but I'm just waiting on some paint to dry and a cheap-o maple 'boarded neck to arrive.

I'll probably bolt it together with the old neck to check out the sound of the new pickup at practice on Sunday, then tear it down again when the new neck arrives.

I'm debating on getting a new bridge. The old one works well enough but is a high mass replacement worth the money? On a parts bass? Or would I basically just be paying $90 to have a piece of metal with the word BADASS on it?

A better bridge may sound better and will intonate more reliably. May not be $90 better/more reliable but there will likely be a difference. At the end of the day it's your call.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
When I gave my jazz bass an overhaul, I went with a gotoh 201. It doesn't say "BADASS" on it, but if I remember correctly it was somewhere around $45. To be totally blunt I did not notice a huge difference in sound, if there was any then it was a very incredibly subtle difference compared to switching out the pickups to SP3's. Of course doing everything at once isn't particularly scientific.

One thing that was easy to notice was the instrument felt a lot more sturdy, which probably has more to do with a better job installing it and the fact that the bass was first put together sometime around 1999. I probably could have asked the tech to tighten up what I already had, but I think aesthetics were a motivation on that one.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
Welp;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Display-Model-Sidejack-Bass-VI-Baritone-guitar-Vintage-Cream-/350833599300

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

I wanted one of those for a while

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So you might have remembered the sad trip report when I took the band on tour through the Mojave and the heat killed my poor Ashdown MAG600H :smith:

After an extended period of mourning while learning that not only is there no reliable amplifier repairman anywhere near me, any aftermarket parts from Ashdown would be insanely expensive due to their manufacturer being halfway across the world from me, and I am poo poo loving useless when it comes to checking each cap in the power amp section to find the problem... well, I decided to move on. However, price is still an ever present issue and I did manage to pick up something else before the Ashdown died: a VT Bass. I got it to pick up on the Ashdown's lack of character, and it even served as my plan B when the amp gave out, I just DI'd it into my PA and played really really quiet.

Anyway, I figured since I already have the VT Bass, that's a better solid state preamp section than most of what I'm going to find on the used market. So, why not find a used power amp on the cheap instead of buying an entire amp? Enter the Deura MA-1500 Power Amp, which I picked up on eBay for just under $100 including shipping. I guess the output to my Carvin will be about 400watts @ 4ohms, which is a little less than the Ashdown, peak power being 1500? But, I wanted to know if anyone had some experience with using the VT-bass and a power amp run into their cab as a main, and if it was a wise choice to go with Deura. I know its a low-end, Pyle-esque company, but they're US-based and it was so affordable. I paid for it using the money I got from the show where my Ashdown broke down.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

While it is close to one in function, the standard VT Bass is not really a pre-amp made to drive a power amp. For the most part it seems like it will work fine as one, though I have read some people complain on Talkbass about certain power amps not getting along with it well. You'll likely just have to crank the level and it'll work ok.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
While not PURELY driving a poweramp, I bypass the preamp section on my amp and plug the VT-bass directly into the power section and it works great.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I still have the Ashdown with a working preamp. Maybe I should DI it into the power amp or else patch from the effects loop and run the VT between them?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Most likely the VT will work just fine right into the new power amp, I wouldn't bother lugging the Ashdown around as another preamp.

edit: looking over the Talkbass threads it seems the complaints were mostly about clean headroom, so if you're not afraid of using the drive control some you'll be fine. Why anyone would get the VT Bass and want just a clean sound is mystery.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 21, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Well I play surf rock but I've found that having a totally clean sound is really boring unless I'm cranking the hell out of the low end. I like setting the VT to sound something like a half cranked B15 so I have a somewhat clean tone but I can snarl it up for Man or Astroman? covers.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I finished my P-Bass.

The Quarter Pounder sounds really loving rich, thing is a blast. The lettering on the pickguard was just a test on some sticky template lettering to see if I wanted to do something with the headstock. I don't, it turned out kinda sloppy. Good wannabe punk rock aesthetic.

How hard is it to "adapt" an electric guitar body to a bass guitar neck and get the scale right? There is a distinct lack of offset Jackson-style flying V basses in the world.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Revvik posted:

How hard is it to "adapt" an electric guitar body to a bass guitar neck and get the scale right? There is a distinct lack of offset Jackson-style flying V basses in the world.

Oof, tough call... Definitely the neck-pocket would have to be widened. Depending on where the bridge is on the body, it may not even be possible.

I may be completely wrong on this, but it's kind of complicated. You may be able to get 30" scale length, but if you're using a 34" scale neck to achieve that length, your intonation will be off because that neck was fretted for 34". But if you're using a neck meant for a 30" short-scale, you may not get that total of 30" between the bridge and the nut, and again, intonation would be off.

Does that make sense? And again, I'm not even sure if I'm right on that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You'd have to redrill the bridge, basically, but it could work.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Depending on scale there might not be enough room on the body.
BC Rich makes an Ironbird bass that has a goofy extension block hanging off the back to get enough room for the scale.
Neck pocket would have to be widened, pick-ups re-routed since they might not be at the right nodal points you want them to be at. It might be easier to start with a scratch built body that you can scale up a bit.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Revvik posted:

Just look up the scale length of the guitar and the number of frets and put it into here: http://www.stewmac.com/fretcalculator/ Take the last number of the first column and subtract that from your total scale length and that'll give you the distance from the last fret to the bridge.

The scale length on a Rhoads guitar is 25.5". With 22 frets, the fretboard is ~18.75" long meaning that you have ~6.75" between the neck pocket and the regular positioning of the bridge. Just eye balling looks like you may be able to squeeze two inches if you get something like the hipshot wrap around bass bridge and move it back.

Lets try to find something that requires the least amount of body length, a 24 fret 30" scale neck. The fretboard is ~23" so that requires ~7" between the edge of the fretboard and the bridge.

Since you'd have to have someone custom make you a 24 fret 30" scale neck, lets see if a factory made neck would work. Squier's Bronco bass is 30" scale with 19 frets. The length of the board is ~20.5" so it wont fit as it requires ~9.5" distance to the bridge and the body just won't fit that.

And then you'll have some of the worst neck dive on top of that.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rifter17 posted:

Just look up the scale length of the guitar and the number of frets and put it into here: http://www.stewmac.com/fretcalculator/ Take the last number of the first column and subtract that from your total scale length and that'll give you the distance from the last fret to the bridge.

The scale length on a Rhoads guitar is 25.5". With 22 frets, the fretboard is ~18.75" long meaning that you have ~6.75" between the neck pocket and the regular positioning of the bridge. Just eye balling looks like you may be able to squeeze two inches if you get something like the hipshot wrap around bass bridge and move it back.

Lets try to find something that requires the least amount of body length, a 24 fret 30" scale neck. The fretboard is ~23" so that requires ~7" between the edge of the fretboard and the bridge.

Since you'd have to have someone custom make you a 24 fret 30" scale neck, lets see if a factory made neck would work. Squier's Bronco bass is 30" scale with 19 frets. The length of the board is ~20.5" so it wont fit as it requires ~9.5" distance to the bridge and the body just won't fit that.

And then you'll have some of the worst neck dive on top of that.

This is incredibly useful. Heartbreaking, but if I ever get to making a scratch body this is good to know.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I tried an Epiphone? V bass a while ago, and it was more or less unplayable due to the neck dive.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Looking through google images I found this: http://maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=detail&id=2992&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2#joomimg

I don't see any specs but my guess would be that its a 30" scale neck on the bass side. You can see how even with that scale it hangs off the back a bit, a full 34" scale would hang off another two inches (assuming the last fret is kept in the same place). The body would have to be pretty big to work, though with an offset style V you'd have a little more room to work with.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Juaguocio posted:

I tried an Epiphone? V bass a while ago, and it was more or less unplayable due to the neck dive.

Yeah, and Rhodes Vs are even lighter than a regular Flying V. You'd either need to make the body heavier or the neck lighter.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

So I figured this would be a good time to chime in, with all this bass VI talk and whatnot.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71490

Some guy who seems to be in the know somehow on offsetguitar posted:

Street price should be roughly $349.
Again, like the VMJM and VM Jaguar, no trem lock. But we all get the 4 switches. I'm just sorry there's no groovy 1960's color in there.
This is probably a Summer NAMM item. No other offsets that I know of.

:frogsiren::pcgaming:Bass VI for around 350 bucks with squier VM quality:pcgaming::frogsiren:

At this point I'm pretty happy I didn't go buy a pawn shop model. Some guys got their paws on some already and posted youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpPjCvy8fmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMT9zJ1o_v4

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Revvik posted:

I'm debating on getting a new bridge. The old one works well enough but is a high mass replacement worth the money? On a parts bass? Or would I basically just be paying $90 to have a piece of metal with the word BADASS on it?

A Gotoh 201 is way cheaper than a Badass and achieves similar tonal results.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

CisSTAR 19 posted:

A Gotoh 201 is way cheaper than a Badass and achieves similar tonal results.

I'll probably keep those in mind then for later, although it sounds pretty fantastic as is.

Finished, as far as I care right now. New neck feels infinitely better, surprising for a $40 GFS bass neck. Took 0000 steel wool to the back of it. Pocket was distinctly larger than the actual neck and I didn't have any scrap wood or really the tools to make proper shims out of, so I snapped off a key in there. Very "punk rock." The pearloid pickguard is sitting around here somewhere, I'll probably throw it on if we ever have to play a wedding or something, idk.

EDIT: that Squier really needs some proper colors :(

Revvik fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 26, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Just refinish it. Refinishing is fun!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

My VT Bass + power amp plan worked terribly. 'Nuff said.

So I'm replacing my Ashdown with a pre-2002 SWR Bass 350 Professional Bass Amp, which I got used with a rack for $200. I already understand that it's tone is not quite cut out for surf rock, but I'm hoping with the contours flattened and the low mids boosted, along with the control of the VT Bass, I can pump out a warm, round tone.

EDIT: and here it is

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 28, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I ran a Bass 350 as part of my first "modern" rig with an SWR Goliath Jr and a Triad, after I had sold my B-15 for pennies back in '00. It sucked. It was way underpowered, but the Triad was a total turd of a cab as well.

I moved from that to an Interstellar Overdrive + Carvin DCM1000 + Goliath Sr. rig, and THAT was a loving fantastic rig until SWR sold to Fender and I couldn't get stuff fixed in reasonable amounts of time.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I ran a Bass 350 as part of my first "modern" rig with an SWR Goliath Jr and a Triad, after I had sold my B-15 for pennies back in '00. It sucked. It was way underpowered, but the Triad was a total turd of a cab as well.

I moved from that to an Interstellar Overdrive + Carvin DCM1000 + Goliath Sr. rig, and THAT was a loving fantastic rig until SWR sold to Fender and I couldn't get stuff fixed in reasonable amounts of time.

I'm gonna be plugging into an old Carvin 2x15, which I believe is a 4ohm load rated at something around 400 watts anyway, so a 350w load isn't really much less than what the Ashdown put out, provided I kept it low enough not to pop the speakers.

Putting a Goliath Jr and Triad on the 350 sounds like an 8ohm load, not a 4ohm, which means you were effectively operating at just above 200w?

If I could just get my band into action again and start doing some practices, I'd be able to find out how the volume and tone stacks. I'm obviously going to need that VT Bass, since I'm not looking for a modern slap-pop tone.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Just want to say, short scale Gibsons 4 lyfe. My hands are just not built to play a fender jazz bass.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

Just want to say, short scale Gibsons 4 lyfe. My hands are just not built to play a fender jazz bass.

Get a Mustang. I'm pretty sure nothing will ever feel more natural to me than my Pawn Shop.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's a good pair of headphones for a headphone amp? Or failing a specific model, what sort of specs should I look at? My budget is just $100 because I'm piss-poor.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

What's a good pair of headphones for a headphone amp? Or failing a specific model, what sort of specs should I look at? My budget is just $100 because I'm piss-poor.

Beats by DreSony MDR XB500 series are typically under $100, are over the ear and have moderately good bass response, better than budget Sennheisers, I'd assume. I'm not sure what headphone amp you're talking about for bass, but I would assume you would still want a headphone amplifier to plug into your ... headphone amplifier... if the unit is intended to just amplify the instrument signal.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Beats by DreSony MDR XB500 series are typically under $100, are over the ear and have moderately good bass response, better than budget Sennheisers, I'd assume. I'm not sure what headphone amp you're talking about for bass, but I would assume you would still want a headphone amplifier to plug into your ... headphone amplifier... if the unit is intended to just amplify the instrument signal.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm talking about this kind of headphone amp:

I think it's standalone and you can just plug headphones in and play? I haven't actually bought one yet (since I'd want to grab a matching pair of cans as well).

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Schneider Heim posted:

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm talking about this kind of headphone amp:

I think it's standalone and you can just plug headphones in and play? I haven't actually bought one yet (since I'd want to grab a matching pair of cans as well).

They make a version that is JUST headphones instead of a plug that requires headphones.

http://www.voxamps.com/amphone/

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've stayed away from this thread like it was the liquor aisle before an AA meeting. I played pretty heavy for 15 years then just ... quit in 2000 or so. I've kept an upright and/or acoustic handy for the last decade for those itch moments, but really looking to go back to my roots.

Trying to get my priorites back on track I emptied my storage locker this weekend:
High school basses included a late 80s era Kramer-Spector NS2, early 80s J, a short-scale frankenbass (from those experimental college years), a fretless SSD, and a Sterling that is pretty much untouched. That (Korean?) NS2 was pretty close to being in tune. That made the guilt worse.

My old GK 800RB I am half afraid to turn on. It has been repaired 3 times. I've an Eden 2x10 and an Ampeg 2x15 but need to figure out a practice arrangement that works w/ the current schedule of "the wife is in bed and I have to use headphones." I never used headphones before, and get bored if I'm not playing with along with some background track - even if it is tv jingles. Should I just get a headphone amp like above and a splitter to run an mp3 player to, or is there a better option for no-latency playback?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Do you have a phone that can run the Amplitube app and a decent pair of headphones already? You can import and goof around with songs from your phone's library. You'd need to buy a little peripheral hardware for a bit of change.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Revvik posted:

They make a version that is JUST headphones instead of a plug that requires headphones.

http://www.voxamps.com/amphone/

Thanks for pointing this out, it even matches my budget, too!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

rebounded posted:

I've stayed away from this thread like it was the liquor aisle before an AA meeting. I played pretty heavy for 15 years then just ... quit in 2000 or so. I've kept an upright and/or acoustic handy for the last decade for those itch moments, but really looking to go back to my roots.

Trying to get my priorites back on track I emptied my storage locker this weekend:
High school basses included a late 80s era Kramer-Spector NS2, early 80s J, a short-scale frankenbass (from those experimental college years), a fretless SSD, and a Sterling that is pretty much untouched. That (Korean?) NS2 was pretty close to being in tune. That made the guilt worse.

My old GK 800RB I am half afraid to turn on. It has been repaired 3 times. I've an Eden 2x10 and an Ampeg 2x15 but need to figure out a practice arrangement that works w/ the current schedule of "the wife is in bed and I have to use headphones." I never used headphones before, and get bored if I'm not playing with along with some background track - even if it is tv jingles. Should I just get a headphone amp like above and a splitter to run an mp3 player to, or is there a better option for no-latency playback?

There are dozens of low watt practice amps with headphone jacks and inputs for mp3 players (still typically needing a 1/4 inch). I have a Silvertone AB15 that does just that, and will gladly trade you for any of that SSD fretless :smug:

Edit: but, seriously, I'm going to trade you a used amp worth less than 50bux for a $600+ bass, you can't lose. You can even pay shipping. :v:

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 31, 2013

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wait are you selling any of that old gear?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jeff Goldblum posted:

There are dozens of low watt practice amps with headphone jacks and inputs for mp3 players (still typically needing a 1/4 inch).
Thanks, that'll fit nicely and I hadn't thought practice amps would take 2 inputs like that.

Revvik posted:

Wait are you selling any of that old gear?

Only the fretless and the 2x15. That cabinet isn't worth the gas my friend is going to spend picking it up, and the fretless - I bought it w/o enough time to get to know it. In high school I feel in love with a fretless Spector in a shop that I couldn't afford. It was this ugly purple thing with gold hardware but the sound was exactly what I was looking for. A few years later I bought this one, and made excuses for it, but it never had that same tone. No growl at all, very flat-sounding. A friend from college always wanted it, so he's taking those as a package.

I'll probably keep the other basses forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

rebounded posted:

Thanks, that'll fit nicely and I hadn't thought practice amps would take 2 inputs like that.

Only the fretless and the 2x15. That cabinet isn't worth the gas my friend is going to spend picking it up, and the fretless - I bought it w/o enough time to get to know it. In high school I feel in love with a fretless Spector in a shop that I couldn't afford. It was this ugly purple thing with gold hardware but the sound was exactly what I was looking for. A few years later I bought this one, and made excuses for it, but it never had that same tone. No growl at all, very flat-sounding. A friend from college always wanted it, so he's taking those as a package.

I'll probably keep the other basses forever.

I'd be all over that 2x15 if I didn't already have the Carvin one. I still have plans to one day replace/cover that awful metal grating with some silver grille cloth. Anyway people would hate me for having an Ampeg cab with a SWR head. I can't win.