Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can also dry it out gently in the oven before use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Are there any places that sell small amounts of PLA filament, like half a pound or so? Maybe in variety packs of different colors? I need some blue filament to print a couple of TARDISes for my sister, but I've got so much filament sitting around in a variety of other colors that I'm already worried about using it all up before it absorbs too much moisture.

It'd be super cool if there was a store where you could go and roll it off a giant reel onto your own spools and just pay by the foot. Maybe in ten years or so. A man can dream...

It's not available yet, but I imagine the 3Doodler guys will be selling strands of filament once their product launches. With the nature of that product, I doubt most people will want to buy rolls of filament and instead will want small strands of a variety of colors.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Faberdashery sells a "rainbow pack". It's a good blend and they have some of the best PLA on the market.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hmm curious, every now and again I check Makerbot's 2X page because I'm window-shopping for whenever it is I upgrade to a new printer. It now says "We are currently unable to take orders for the 2X".

Changing the design, perhaps? Or too busy lifting their wallets? :haw:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Interesting. Windows 8.1 is now going to include 3d printer drivers pre-installed:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2013/06/26/3d-printing-with-windows.aspx

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Mister Sinewave posted:

Hmm curious, every now and again I check Makerbot's 2X page because I'm window-shopping for whenever it is I upgrade to a new printer. It now says "We are currently unable to take orders for the 2X".

Changing the design, perhaps? Or too busy lifting their wallets? :haw:

Considering how much email I've sent back and forth alone on my issues with the 2x I'm guessing they're at least trying to fix some of it's problems, they also might just be really behind. It took 8 weeks to get mine and here nearly a month later I still don't have my hood for it. I've been so fed up certain problems on mine like the ever-warping build plate (that I've replaced once and got back a new one that was no bettter), I've gone and ordered aluminum arms, a heated glass build plate, printed new extruders, and installed the sailfish firmware just to skip past the stock machine's problems and work towards maximizing its potential.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, that's not at all what I was expecting. I kind of figured that with the enclosure and focusing on ABS most of the issues I have with ABS printing would be addressed. Sounds like it really just has different problems.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Got my filastruder kit today! Now to come to terms with the fact I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to assembling this.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Faltion posted:

Got my filastruder kit today! Now to come to terms with the fact I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to assembling this.

Take a long time cleaning out the chaff around the cuts in the iron pipe. You'll do yourself a lot of favors. I'll post some pictures of my assembled kit, although it's not running as well as I'd like yet.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I have a Solidoodle 3, and had been using PLA with it lately. Today however I tried to go back to ABS and went to turn the heater bed on and the printer died. The light started to flicker on and off slowly and the extruder head and fan were also flickering on and off. It's not a connection issue with the computer or the on board CPU. I also checked the power cable for issues as well as the plug for shorting and nothing was there either.

Help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:stare: Nanoscale 3D printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wThtfAtB5U8

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: Nanoscale 3D printing.

I want to see the video of them putting the glasses on that fly just for the inevitable :dealwithit: .gif animation.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

That glasses picture has been around for a LONG time, I'm 90% sure it was laser-cut (It's also way bigger than nanoscale). It brings me great joy that the video was someone building a nano-Hellcat.

I just came into a Mk2 Fab@Home, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. The motor and controller don't seem to accept most available plans because it uses servos instead of steppers. Also, I've only seen one person that reliably fit an ABS extruder onto it.

Does anyone know a resource for upgrading/converting one of these? Otherwise, I think I might strip down the controller and servos for a future project, and replacing them with more standard bits.

Edit: The only way I can see to do solid parts is either silicon, cement, or a UV-resin after fitting a UV LED to the undercarriage of the syringe. All of those options seem like a lot more work, or more expensive in the long run than a conversion.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Hello everyone. I recently entered a contest hosted locally. Make a cool model, win a Makerbot Replicator 2x. I'm fairly new at 3D stuff in general and this was the first time I'd ever made something for printing, but I got to have my entry printed out for free. It wraps up on Thursday, and I hope I win!
Right now I'm trying to clean up and paint the model.

(If you are interested in following my art and stuff, the full blog with more pictures and stuff is here.)

This is the Zbrush model it was printed from:

I was pointed towards doing this because my friends want me to model all their D&D minis for them for free, haha! But honestly I think this stuff is all really cool. I don't know a whole lot about it yet, but if I win this printer I plan to use it. I learned a lot by making this little dino dude.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Has anyone got any experience with 3DSystems' CubeX printers?

They sound nice and have a nice big build volume.

I am interested in ABS only printing and want a big build volume, and am particularly interested in printers that have in some way taken steps to address warping, etc issues with ABS (by far my biggest bugbear with it.)

I had always shortlisted the Replicator 2X for the ABS focus, big build volume, and enclosed build platform for temperature control. But honestly the more I hear about them the less enthusiastic I am about the idea. The optimizations don't seem to pull their weight and some of the other hot end and feed design stuff just seems behind the curve. I wish I could try one out and see for myself.

Ran across the CubeX stuff, couldn't tell much more than what the ad copy says. Anyone used them?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Mister Sinewave posted:

They sound nice and have a nice big build volume.

I am interested in ABS only printing and want a big build volume, and am particularly interested in printers that have in some way taken steps to address warping, etc issues with ABS (by far my biggest bugbear with it.)

I had always shortlisted the Replicator 2X for the ABS focus, big build volume, and enclosed build platform for temperature control. But honestly the more I hear about them the less enthusiastic I am about the idea. The optimizations don't seem to pull their weight and some of the other hot end and feed design stuff just seems behind the curve. I wish I could try one out and see for myself.

Ran across the CubeX stuff, couldn't tell much more than what the ad copy says. Anyone used them?

A coworker of mine purchased one looking for exactly the same sort of printer. He's had nothing but trouble. They've shipped him 2 different printers, and both have had some major issue or another. They've got one guy working support for the entire company. His only saving grace is that they accidentally forgot to bill him.

His first printer's extruder clogged hopelessly, and after repairing it, the electronics failed. The second printer, a Z-endstop failed, the extruders slammed into the build platform, and sheared off the extruder barrel. A third is on the way.

After looking at their support, their design, and their crappy "buy our filament only" model, I wouldn't recommend them. They're 80% of the way to a useful at-home 3D printer, but it isn't yet working out.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Funny you ask, I just came on here to see if anyone else was having issues with them. We just got 4 CubeX Duos and they have been a major pain in the rear end. We have had them now for about 2 weeks and have only gotten 1 decent model out of them. They take a lot of calibrating, their build plates need adjusting out of the box, and we have had a few parts fall off of them. Their cleaning mechanism, which is suppose to wipe off the little half melted plastic whisps they drop every where, is not very effective and those whisps can end up screwing up the whole model by preventing the printhead from laying down a layer. After these issues with the CubeX Duos I do not think we will be ordering any more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Here in the UK, Maplin has started taking pre-orders of the Velleman K8200, a £700 PLA only printer with a 200mm cube build area, 0.15mmm accuracy

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, those are some not-encouraging experiences with the cube stuff. Thanks for sharing.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Here in the UK, Maplin has started taking pre-orders of the Velleman K8200, a £700 PLA only printer with a 200mm cube build area, 0.15mmm accuracy

That...isnt' that exciting really. You could DIY a Prusa or Mendel90 with better numbers on every front for roughly the same cost (if not a bit cheaper).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yes, but this is the first brick and mortar store in the UK selling a 3d printer. It's likely to be the first time most people have seen one. I'd not buy one for the reason you suggest but it's an interesting development.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Ah, that's the part I missed. Is that like Staples over in MURICA selling the Cube then?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pretty much. Maplin sell electronic components, some pc poo poo, gadgets, tools, soldering supplies, basic prototyping, that sort of crap

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Zuph posted:

The second printer, a Z-endstop failed, the extruders slammed into the build platform, and sheared off the extruder barrel.

We just had one of our CubeXs do this today. I do not recommend these at all if you need a reliable and consistent printer. We are pretty disappointed these have worked so poorly, we hoped these would be competitive speed/build material cost wise with our UPrints or our ZCorp powder printer but we can't even get one of these CubeXs to work.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That IS disappointing, especially considering they are on the spendy side of the home 3D printer price spectrum.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
What is the function of the z end stop? Do you not touch off on a shim to set your z offset?

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 12, 2013

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

oxbrain posted:

What is the function of the z end stop? Do you not touch off on a shim to set your a offset?

Most printers that I am aware of rely on the end stop to determine the bed zero/offset

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
That seems like an accident waiting to happen.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

oxbrain posted:

That seems like an accident waiting to happen.

What other option is there? This isn't a software controlled end stop but rather a mechanical switch. I thought it was a pretty standard end stop mechanism for CNC machines?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

It's not used to set work offsets because most cnc machines aren't dealing with a fixed work piece. They set machine coordinates that way, but the switch will always be in the direction away from the work area and there will almost always(HASS :argh:) be a physical switch behind it that directly cuts power to the servo before it crashes.

For a printer with a fixed bed height you enter in the offset from there and you're zeroed at the bed without ever coming near it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

oxbrain posted:

It's not used to set work offsets because most cnc machines aren't dealing with a fixed work piece. They set machine coordinates that way, but the switch will always be in the direction away from the work area and there will almost always(HASS :argh:) be a physical switch behind it that directly cuts power to the servo before it crashes.

For a printer with a fixed bed height you enter in the offset from there and you're zeroed at the bed without ever coming near it.

Most of these machines are using steppers, not servos. They have to zero to something on startup as there's no direct measurement readout.

I have my z-stop set to .2mm below my print bed, which is spring-mounted. It can hit and mangle a print, but a crash into the bed doesn't break anything. These are mechanical stops that cut power to the pololu board. I've got a microswitch about .15mm up (0.5mm below surface) that's wired to the software side for zeroing.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Don't leave your PLA printed parts in the car

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Tell me it still works but now prints everything in italics.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

For some reason though, it only does that in the car. Normal PLA will take like 160F temps just fine and only soften a bit but you put it in the car when its 92F outside and you come back to a puddle of printer.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

insta posted:

For some reason though, it only does that in the car. Normal PLA will take like 160F temps just fine and only soften a bit but you put it in the car when its 92F outside and you come back to a puddle of printer.

Depending on where you live and what color your interior is, it can certainly get up to 160F and stay there for a bit. I came back to a puddle of BB gun once. Have also exploded alkaline batteries, sodas, and eggs in the back seat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's why you dont leave animals, children, elderly or pressurized containers in cars. They're basically solar ovens in the open.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
About once every summer I get a canned soda at lunch and end up saving it for later and leaving it in the cupholder of my car, then when it's time to go home I find this:

Yes, those spots in the headliner are Dr Pepper syrup. It gets hot in cars.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
One of the Makibot creators did a little writeup about the windows native printing stack that I found kind of informative to read (as a not-yet-owner of a 3d printer):
http://makibox.com/blogpost/items/native-3D

Interesting that the file format MS is proposing allows for curves and such rather than the current STL method of using dots with straight lines between them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'd be happy if they would just add a preview viewer that could render thumbnails (maybe even rotating ones?) for STL files. Is there anything like that for Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Yesterday I entered the world of desktop manufacturing with the arrival of my Replicator 2. I spent the day printing various things from Thingverse and came across the this issue with one of the items:

As you can see in the pic there are filaments hanging off the orbs that make up the joints (and to a lesser extent some random other spots). What causes this and what can I do to avoid it in the future? Out of the many items I printed yesterday (stretchlet, chain, tesseract, comb, filament spool clips, and a clip-on tool holder) that was the only one that came out...strange.

EDIT: After touching it up a bit I'm guessing it was the lack of supports while it was being printed.

Sagebrush posted:

I'd be happy if they would just add a preview viewer that could render thumbnails (maybe even rotating ones?) for STL files. Is there anything like that for Windows 7?

That would be amazingly useful. I've just been putting screenshots in the folder with my .STLs. Get's cumbersome.

TheKeeper fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 21, 2013