Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

This came across my Facebook feed:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/this-west-wing-spoof-that-aired-was-awesome

Nice little surreal West Wing humor for you, courtesey of a White House Correspondent's dinner. This was in 2000, when Clinton was still in the office, I'm guessing they didn't get invited back with Bush in office. :cawg:

Sheen staring at those objects with a real intensity. drat that man can act, no matter what the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Could not hold myself back from this show, already back up to season 1, episode 15. Man there is nothing better than an angry Toby Ziegler.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

The Dark Wind posted:

Could not hold myself back from this show, already back up to season 1, episode 15. Man there is nothing better than an angry Toby Ziegler.

Angry Leo aint half bad.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

TheBigBad posted:

Angry Leo aint half bad.
Although his threat to raise an army was just a bit melodramatic. Early episode though, they were still getting the tone right.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My wife and I caught a few more episodes last night; Debate Camp, Game On and Election Night.

Dare I say that Toby is cute as a dad-to-be. When him and his wife are arguing over the press conference then stop dead to stare at the ultrasound monitor is a great moment.

Also I identify with Josh on Election Day, around 1 in the afternoon there is nothing going on and time just goes by so slowly.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
"Babies come with hats?"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Todays Amazon deal of the day is the complete series for 79.99

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Todays Amazon deal of the day is the complete series for 79.99

Oh thank god, it's just DVD. if it was Blu-Ray I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

So I just came across an uncharacteristic example of sexist racism from Josh in season 5; when Toby meets with the union reps and it comes out that Chinese bras are really hurting US manufacturers, Josh says "Really? Bras? Do the Chinese even need them? Well...you know."

Seemed so out of place. A Chinese women have no tits joke.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Billy the Mountain posted:

So I just came across an uncharacteristic example of sexist racism from Josh in season 5 [...]

That's just Season 5.

Or, in fairness, a combination of the always vaguely-racist & sexist ways of Joshua Lyman combined with the generally pretty bad writing of Season 5.

I mean, you could kind of argue that Josh's character in general displays characteristics of being aware of both sexist and racist points of view, but his character being so ingrained (and indebted to) those same cultural biases means that sometimes the words just slip out.

Josh is kind of a dick, after all.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Billy the Mountain posted:

So I just came across an uncharacteristic example of sexist racism from Josh in season 5; when Toby meets with the union reps and it comes out that Chinese bras are really hurting US manufacturers, Josh says "Really? Bras? Do the Chinese even need them? Well...you know."

Josh is kind of always skirting the line of being a sexist and racist jackass. There's the loving joke of a reparations debate in Six Meetings Before Lunch, for instance, where his argument is "I don't owe you because the Holocaust happened." It gets really uncomfortable when you realize that he's basically the Sorkin mouthpiece there.

I mean, the driving creative force behind the show has openly lamented how great the 40s were, so it's not surprising to hear his characters say sexist and racist things.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm rewatching on Netflix and in "The Crackpots and These Women" near the end where Bartlet is talking about Zoey:

quote:

I'm delighted our beautiful daughter, Zoey is here. You know, she's starting Georgetown in the spring.

Everyone claps their hand for Zoey.

BARTLET [cont.]
This, prior to medical school and a life of celibacy.

JOSH
Yeah, right!

http://www.westwingtranscripts.com/search.php?flag=getTranscript&id=5

Way to call your boss's daughter a slut, Josh! :thumbsup:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I liked John Goodman as President Walken, too bad we only got him for three episodes.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm at the start of season 3 of yet another rewatch :smithicide: I did take time off for Orange Is the New Black though. And I occasionally mix it up with some Star Trek TNG

brylcreem posted:

Way to call your boss's daughter a slut, Josh! :thumbsup:

He could have been saying "yeah, right!" about the medical school part!

E: S3E4 showed a TV with CSPAN on it and it showed Senator John Kyl :psyboom: I never noticed it before

myron cope fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 21, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

He could have been saying "yeah, right!" about the medical school part!

The President: "Say, Zoey's growing up nicely, isn't she?"
His Deputy CoS: "Man, I'll say!"
The President: :mad:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I'm into season 7 on my umpteenth rewatch. I love season 7, but man the leak storyline is a huge misstep.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Caufman posted:

I've been catching it on the Christian channel once every few days (They blank out the darns, heck and hell, it's pretty good) and I'm left to wonder how Sam and Josh managed to keep their jobs as long as they did.

And Donna and Margaret, I guess. Especially Margaret.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Margaret: I can sign the President's name. I have his signature down pretty good.
Leo: You can sign the President's name?
Margaret: Yeah!
Leo: On a document removing him from power and handing it to someone else?
Margaret: Yeah. Or, do you think the White House Counsel would say that was a bad idea?
Leo: I think the White House Counsel would say that's a coup d'etat.
Margaret: I'd probably end up doing some time for that.
Leo: I would think.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

I've been catching it on the Christian channel once every few days (They blank out the darns, heck and hell, it's pretty good) and I'm left to wonder how Sam and Josh managed to keep their jobs as long as they did.

I love me some Margaret. When NiCole Robinson was pregnant, they had Margaret be pregnant too, and it was just some throw-away line on the show.

Just found this:

quote:

The work that John and John were doing was so interesting to me, NiCole the actress, that I was watching them shoot from a crack in the door. All of a sudden I noticed that I could see the camera. And if you can see the camera, it can see you. I was sure they would fire me for ruining the scene when, in fact, that is the take they used. I guess I have a little Margaret in me.

http://westwingnews.blogspot.dk/2006/06/tv-guide-interview-with-nicole.html

She's near the end, at 23 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CrZPoXdeE

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Caufman posted:

Zoey's not my type.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Zoey's not my type.

You're a Fulbright scholar, you don't leer at coeds.

Also, there will be grad students there.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

brylcreem posted:

I love me some Margaret. When NiCole Robinson was pregnant, they had Margaret be pregnant too, and it was just some throw-away line on the show.

I've watched this show all the way through at least 4 times and I never noticed that Margaret got pregnant... when did this happen?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

I've watched this show all the way through at least 4 times and I never noticed that Margaret got pregnant... when did this happen?

Season 6 - it really is a throwaway line, they mention it once and then never again.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I'm pretty sure they made a throwaway comment hinting and nodding at thinking she was a lesbian.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The line definitely made me think she's a lesbian.

Although reading that interview I guess there's a theory that it's Bruno? I definitely had never heard that before.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's 100% supposed to be a lesbian gag. I've never heard the Bruno theory, it's just shipping.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've never heard the Bruno theory before either, but you could instantly tell it's bullshit because of all people, Bruno would know why a campaign strategist dating a white house staffer would be a bad idea.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know Aaron Sorkin isn't big on continuity, but there's a line in "The Short List" where Bartlet is being scolded by the outgoing Supreme Court judge:

quote:

CROUCH
Take the next few days with your staff, and give Mendoza the consideration he deserves.

BARTLET
Joseph, when the next seat opens up, I promise you...

CROUCH
When the next seat opens up, you'll be writing your memoirs.

BARTLET
In three years, I would hope to be running for reel...

CROUCH
You're gonna get beat in three years.

Isn't that a mistake? Bartlet was still set on being a one-term president at that time, right?

Same episode, Bartlet is quizzing Harrison on the Constitution:

quote:

BARTLET
So you have no objection to the state of New Hampshire passing a law banning use of cream in coffee?

HARRISON
I would have strong objection, Mr. President, as I like cream as well, but I would have no Constitutional basis to strike down the law when you brought this case to the Supreme Court.

Wouldn't the Commerce Clause prevent that ban?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

brylcreem posted:

Isn't that a mistake? Bartlet was still set on being a one-term president at that time, right?

The whole one-term thing was pretty much a "secret" agreement between him and Abbey though. If he wouldn't have talked about reelection in a situation like this, people would have become suspicious a lot earlier.

But yeah, The Short List was a very early episode, and I'm certain Sorking hadn't come up with the whole MS story at that point anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

brylcreem posted:

Wouldn't the Commerce Clause prevent that ban?

I admit the Commerce Clause confuses me sometimes, but I think that would only come into play if New Hampshire banned buying coffee cream from another state and using it in New Hampshire. The Commerce Clause says Congress can regulate commerce among the states, so Interstate Commerce. If New Hampshire were to ban all coffee cream while in their state, that doesn't really get into Interstate Commerce.

But I could be way off base. Also, interpretation could very well have changed with a ruling by the Supreme Court I'm unfamiliar with. I'm no lawyer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jed was right about one thing: New Hampshire maple syrup is better than Vermont's.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm up to S4. The second episode always gets to me. When Bartlet is giving the speech after the pipe bombs go off, he talks about how some people went into the fire to help people. I had a friend who died because he went back in to a fire to try to save his girlfriend (neither of them made it). It makes me sad :smith:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

myron cope posted:

I'm up to S4. The second episode always gets to me. When Bartlet is giving the speech after the pipe bombs go off, he talks about how some people went into the fire to help people. I had a friend who died because he went back in to a fire to try to save his girlfriend (neither of them made it). It makes me sad :smith:

:911:: "Ran into the fire"
Me: :cry:

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Sam: "In the car."
Bruno: "Freak."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What does Aaron Sorkin have against asses

quote:

I will stick a pitchfork so far up your rear end you'll quite simply be dead

I'll shove a motherboard so far up your rear end

Take your legislative agenda and shove it up your rear end

I feel like I got screwed with my pants on

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

FISHMANPET posted:

:911:: "Ran into the fire"
Me: :cry:

I watched this episode a week after the Boston marathon bombing, I lost it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mu Zeta posted:

What does Aaron Sorkin have against asses

I think it's just that he wasn't allowed to use the word gently caress on prudish American public television, so he had to make do with what he had available.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Question: when Bartlet gets shot, Nancy, Toby, CJ and some others discuss the constitutional ramifications, and if Hoynes is actually in charge: they are not sure, given that the National Defense Act 1947 empowers the SecDef or something.

Toby (exasperated): This is obviously an area of federal policy where you want as much ambiguity as possible.
Nancy: Yes!

Does she mean that literally, as in these situations you need some leeway to decide on the best course of action?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

meatbag posted:

Question: when Bartlet gets shot, Nancy, Toby, CJ and some others discuss the constitutional ramifications, and if Hoynes is actually in charge: they are not sure, given that the National Defense Act 1947 empowers the SecDef or something.

Toby (exasperated): This is obviously an area of federal policy where you want as much ambiguity as possible.
Nancy: Yes!

Does she mean that literally, as in these situations you need some leeway to decide on the best course of action?
She says "Yeah" and it was facetious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Here's a question for you all. We recently finished the Zoey kidnaping story line and was wondering if Walken got a president number. Like if Bartlett is the 40th(?) president would Walken get the next number even though he was only in office a couple of days?

• Locked thread