Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Because of this thread, I watched Man on Wire yesterday.

I couldn't fall asleep for hours because every time I closed my eyes, I saw myself on that high wire and freaked the gently caress out.

Do not watch if you have a crippling fear of hights. Otherwise... great movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

porkface posted:

Memories Of Murder

This is the best S. Korean film I've seen and it's an outstanding film regardless of country of origin or genre.

Unfortunately it is not, as far as I'm aware, available to stream nor has it been. (Unable to look it up right now for some reason.)

If you have any disc rentals in your Netflix plan, definitely get this film.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Zwabu posted:

This is the best S. Korean film I've seen and it's an outstanding film regardless of country of origin or genre.

Unfortunately it is not, as far as I'm aware, available to stream nor has it been. (Unable to look it up right now for some reason.)

If you have any disc rentals in your Netflix plan, definitely get this film.

It's not on Netflix instant but searching for it brought up a few highly rated Netflix suggestions, including the recently mentioned The Host. Thanks for fattening up my instant queue with your recent posts, everybody!

e: vvvvvv Thanks guys, there's a local rental place with an awesome foreign section I'll start taking advantage of :)

POLICE CAR AUCTION has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Jul 16, 2013

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

HelmetCheese posted:

Thanks, I've seen a couple big South Korean movies (Oldboy, can't remember what else) and have been meaning to check out more stuff. Any other good suggestions? My netflix queue could always use more titles.

We have a South Korean movies thread in CineD, check it out.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253

Absolutely go with The Chaser. It's right up there with Oldboy and Memories.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

HelmetCheese posted:

Thanks, I've seen a couple big South Korean movies (Oldboy, can't remember what else) and have been meaning to check out more stuff. Any other good suggestions? My netflix queue could always use more titles.

I don't think I should have to recommend any Chan-wook Park film after the Vengeance trilogy, but just in case: I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay is incredibly weird and wonderful. The relatively slow middle is saved by some great visual sequences, and the absurdity of the characters' beliefs wraps around to become oddly genuine and endearing.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
All 8 seasons of Peep Show have been re-added.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Psychobabble posted:

“You thought I was saying I was a 'Mega-Pedo' and your reaction was, 'I'd always wondered'?!"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

“You thought I was saying I was a 'Mega-Pedo' and your reaction was, 'I'd always wondered'?!"

Just picked back up with this episode last night and meant to post that it was readded. I'm in love all over again :swoon:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Psychobabble posted:

Oh man, totally getting my hopes up for the return of That Mitchell And Webb Look. I've already seen it all... twice, but drat do I want it back.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh man, totally getting my hopes up for the return of That Mitchell And Webb Look. I've already seen it all... twice, but drat do I want it back.

Have you seen "That Mitchell And Webb Situation" yet? It's the series they made before TMAWL, and the whole thing was on YouTube last time I checked. It's a bit darker and doesn't have a laugh track too.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
A really good documentary about the war on drugs, The House I Live In, was put on recently on netflix instant. It was released on very limited number of theaters so I'm really happy that netflix grabbed it after I was unable to check it out.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Mostly Lurking posted:

A really good documentary about the war on drugs, The House I Live In, was put on recently on netflix instant. It was released on very limited number of theaters so I'm really happy that netflix grabbed it after I was unable to check it out.

Netflix gave me a 4.5 star recommendation on that, which is rare for me. Definitely gonna give it a watch soon.

Unrelated to the thread, but if you want some excellent reading about the war on drugs, how totally hosed it is, and (mainly) the Baltimore drug problem go buy a copy of The Corner by David Simon.

e: Goddamn, coincidentally looked this up on imdb and David Simon is exactly half of the cast :stare:

POLICE CAR AUCTION has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jul 19, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

HelmetCheese posted:

Netflix gave me a 4.5 star recommendation on that, which is rare for me. Definitely gonna give it a watch soon.
It's bloody fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HelmetCheese posted:

Unrelated to the thread, but if you want some excellent reading about the war on drugs, how totally hosed it is, and (mainly) the Baltimore drug problem go buy a copy of The Corner by David Simon.

e: Goddamn, coincidentally looked this up on imdb and David Simon is exactly half of the cast :stare:

Have you read Homicide: A Year on The Killing Streets, which got his whole TV career started? Great book otherwise, but you can see a lot of the issues starting there already.

And the real Sgt. Jay Landsman from the book played Lt. Mello on The Wire, by the way. In a show with a character named after him. :psyduck:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HelmetCheese posted:

'I Saw the Devil' is hardcore, seriously brutal and unrelenting on the level of 'Oldboy' except like twice as long. 'The Host' is amazing and hilarious, and you should check out anything that actor is in (except Antarctic Journal). 'The Guard Post' is another great one. 'Rough Cut' is the epitome of stereotypical asian crime flicks, with the premise of a bad-boy actor who makes a pact with a real gangster (reminds me of Spike from Cowboy bebop) to be antagonists in a movie, but they won't fake any fight scenes.

I tried to watch 'Triple Tap' but the setup was too stupid for me to get more than 30-40 minutes into.

'Antarctic Journal' is boring and has no payoff at the end. My roommate and I were both remarkably bored and then let down by it. There is no monster, everybody's just tripping balls for some stupid reason. I spoilered that for those who care to watch, but I really felt like it was a bait-and-switch - early in the movie there's a scene with some weird alien-or-something goop and a bizarre eyeball under the snow, which was then literally never mentioned or recalled for the rest of the movie and I was left wondering if that had been some 'Fear and Loathing in LAs Vegas' poo poo or what.

I keep meaning to watch 'The Show Must Go On' (the same actor who portrayed the doofy hero in 'The Host') and I've forgotten the names of dozens of really great korean crime and action flicks, but their horror and crime is generally great.

Once you watch a handful of Korean films on Netflix it will start recommending poo poo nonstop. Most of it is worthwhile.

edit: I almost forgot. It's not Korean, but 'Muay Thai Warrior' is amazing, for the diapers and mohawks the tribal warriors sport if nothing else, alongside it being a samurai who learns muay thai to fight off ninjas. 'The Warrior's Way' is a similar plot but set in the old west, and I don't think it's Korean. It's pretty crazy though.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Jul 19, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Apocalypse Now now available. One of the best movies ever made and certainly the best one ever made about the Vietnam war. If you haven't seen it do yourself a favor. They also have Apocalypse Now Redux, which is controversial, but I prefer this version and definitely think it's worth the extra hour of viewing time.

Addendum to this: watch the original first. Redux is good, too, but the original is a smaller time investment, has better pacing, and honestly just works better in general.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

WickedIcon posted:

Addendum to this: watch the original first. Redux is good, too, but the original is a smaller time investment, has better pacing, and honestly just works better in general.

Sorry - gotta somewhat disagree with you. The Redux version is the version I think you should see as some of the smaller additions really add to the movie. The Kilgore surfboard sequence is worth it alone. I said "somewhat disagree" though. That's because I think the entire French plantation sequence should have stayed on the cutting room floor. It really drags the entire movie down right before we reach the final act. I always skip that part. You should watch it once at least, though.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

coyo7e posted:

edit: I almost forgot. It's not Korean, but 'Muay Thai Warrior' is amazing, for the diapers and mohawks the tribal warriors sport if nothing else, alongside it being a samurai who learns muay thai to fight off ninjas. 'The Warrior's Way' is a similar plot but set in the old west, and I don't think it's Korean. It's pretty crazy though.
The mustaches are also fantastic, don't forget those. I just saw this and while the CGI blood was lame, everything else was pretty sweet and it was a lot of fun to watch.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

coyo7e posted:

Bunch of recommendations

Much appreciated!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you read Homicide: A Year on The Killing Streets, which got his whole TV career started? Great book otherwise, but you can see a lot of the issues starting there already.

And the real Sgt. Jay Landsman from the book played Lt. Mello on The Wire, by the way. In a show with a character named after him. :psyduck:

Yeah I've read Homicide and The Wire is easily my favorite show. There's also a bunch of characters inspired by real people on the show--McNulty, Bunk, Landsman, Omar, Bubbles, and Cutty off the top of my head.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Last night I watched 'Day of the Falcon', which started a bit slow but ended up being just as good as it was rated. It's basically 'Dune' though, set in 1930's Arabia with Antonio Banderas as Baron Harkonnen. If you're willing to suspend disbelief at some of the casting, it's a fun movie full of battles and people dying to the elements in the desert.

MacGowans Teeth posted:

The mustaches are also fantastic, don't forget those. I just saw this and while the CGI blood was lame, everything else was pretty sweet and it was a lot of fun to watch.
Yeah the mustaches are like holy poo poo :aaaaa: . IIRC the blood was completely over the top ludicrous, which had to have been intentional, and I generally hate that but it was super hilarious for me.

edit: 'Assassin's Blade' (terribly confusingly named, there is a dude who gets, uhh, I guess sort of assassinated, and the blade was just a knife you never see again, I thought it was gonna be a revenge flick with assassins) is an okay romantic kung-fu movie, very traditional, good production and no terribly obvious rubber weapons and poo poo during most of the action. I don't want to spoil it but it's a pretty formulaic re-hash of a classic (western) story, once you start connecting the archetypal characters. Pretty fun, decent chick flick plus several dozen people being killed by one angry dude.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 19, 2013

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Are there any websites that rank Netflix titles by IMDB or Metacritic score? I just get paralysed by choice sometimes when browsing.

lead sandwhich
Jul 20, 2013

adamarama posted:

Are there any websites that rank Netflix titles by IMDB or Metacritic score? I just get paralysed by choice sometimes when browsing.

I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.imdb.com/list/aU7Q-mZ0euo/?start=1&view=detail&sort=user_rating:desc&defaults=1&scb=0.8953572241589427.

My favorite movie on Netflix at the moment (or one of them anyways) is John Dies At The End. Pretty much impossible to explain what it's about though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
John Dies at the End is an absolutely garbage adaptation of the novel on which it is based.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

I think that includes disk-only movies too. This will show watch instantly movies by Rotten Tomatoes score: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/all and sort by: RT Rating

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

scary ghost dog posted:

John Dies at the End is an absolutely garbage adaptation of the novel on which it is based.

I liked the book and enjoyed the movie, but you've gotta take the movie at face value as a cheesy b-list horror comedy. It's adapted and directed by Don Coscarelli of Phantasm fame after all.

e: typo

POLICE CAR AUCTION has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jul 21, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HelmetCheese posted:

I liked the book and enjoyed the movie, but you've gotta take the movie at face value as a cheesy b-list horror comedy. It's adapted and directed by Don Coscarelli of Phantasm fame after all.

I just cannot beat the terrible acting by the guy who plays Dave. He's awful.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
There are Chrome extensions that show Rotten Tomato and IMDB ratings on Netflix. Choose the one with the better rating.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
IMDB ratings are about as valuable as torn up blankets.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Sorry - gotta somewhat disagree with you. The Redux version is the version I think you should see as some of the smaller additions really add to the movie. The Kilgore surfboard sequence is worth it alone. I said "somewhat disagree" though. That's because I think the entire French plantation sequence should have stayed on the cutting room floor. It really drags the entire movie down right before we reach the final act. I always skip that part. You should watch it once at least, though.

The additions in Redux are good in a vacuum, but I really don't feel like they work that well put back into the movie.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

IMDB ratings are about as valuable as torn up blankets.

Are you trying to say The Dark Knight and Fight Club are not two of the ten greatest films ever made?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Solved! is the scariest show I have ever seen, because apparently murders are only resolved when the perpetrator leaves their prints everywhere, buys the gun two days earlier, leaves the shells everywhere, drives around in a conspicuous vehicle, waves his or her arms at passerbys, throws incriminating evidence into a ditch .4 meters away, and has recently done ten Google searches for "I shot the victim of this particular murder, how do I telegraph that to the police?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pick posted:

Solved! is the scariest show I have ever seen, because apparently murders are only resolved when the perpetrator leaves their prints everywhere, buys the gun two days earlier, leaves the shells everywhere, drives around in a conspicuous vehicle, waves his or her arms at passerbys, throws incriminating evidence into a ditch .4 meters away, and has recently done ten Google searches for "I shot the victim of this particular murder, how do I telegraph that to the police?"

Aaron Hernadez's favorite show

e:Seriously though I want to thank you guys for recommending The West Wing. I never watched it when it was on TV and I was too intimidated to start such a long show, but I started watching this week after people were raving about it and holy cow is it ever good. I was hooked right from the pilot and Martin Sheen kicks rear end as always

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Jul 22, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HelmetCheese posted:

Oh, well this explains why they made the Tall Man play the crazy rear end priest.

Finally got around to watching End of Watch Sunday. Good flick.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I still can't wrap my head around that movie. I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel at the end of it.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I really liked End of Watch but the ending was a bit weird for me too. The finale was tense and unpleasant, and just at the peak of the senseless deaths they start to play triumphant rock music over people dying for no reason? Seemed a bit out of nowhere.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Here goes...

Special Michael Rapaport (that dorky redheaded guy you see as supporting cast in Irish crime movies) is a loser meter maid who joins a study for a new SSRI and gains super powers. Or not. Or does. Or not. I made my roommate watch this one recently because I remembered really loving it, and it was certainly just as good (and enigmatic) the second time around. It has some sort of "Kevin Smith" style stuff, but is mostly nothing like a Kevin Smith movie (outside of the comic book shop stoners.) It's sad and sweet and hilarious and painful and triumphant - I can't 5 star this movie hard enough.

Dabangg 2 aka "Misogyny: the Movie", or "This is the culture where women are gang-raped on public buses. You might realize why after watching half of this." It is funny, bizarre, musical, stars a guy who seems to basically be the Schwarzennegar/Stallone of India, and I couldn't finish it because it was just utterly unapologetic about how loving terrible people act toward women and lower castes. It was just too loud and proud about how cool it is to be an entitled, misogynist asshat.

I saw this one a couple years ago but it's still up and my roommate saw Shrooms recently. It's a british slasher-in-the-woods flick with a funny premise, and it's pretty intense, gory, and hilarious. Enjoyed the ending reveal, too.

Red Scorpion. This is a very early Dolph Lundgren movie and it's WAAAAYYYY over the top. I sat my roommate down to watch it because I thought this was the Dolph Lundgren buddy cop movie - NO! This is Dolph Lundgren going native with the bushmen in Africa, and then killing everyone. It was remarkably over the top, gotta say.

Elfie Jenkins: Cannibal Hunter sounded like a fun (I like stoner horror movies) movie about a stoner chick fighting monsters. Turns out it is "The 'Burbs" with a damaged-goods stoner chick as Tom Hanks, and the silliest pack of hipster cannibals ever as her antagonists who move in next door in view of her bedroom window. Entire plot can be summarised as Harry Potter wannabe is a Nice Guy, eventually gets the girl after doing lots of whippets instead of going to college. Was not impressed, wouldn't recommend to stoners, horror fans, or Nice Guys who always get friend-zoned.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Jul 26, 2013

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Here goes...

Special Michael Rapaport (that dorky redheaded guy you see as supporting cast in Irish crime movies) is a loser meter maid who joins a study for a new SSRI and gains super powers. Or not. Or does. Or not. I made my roommate watch this one recently because I remembered really loving it, and it was certainly just as good (and enigmatic) the second time around. It has some sort of "Kevin Smith" style stuff, but is mostly nothing like a Kevin Smith movie (outside of the comic book shop stoners.) It's sad and sweet and hilarious and painful and triumphant - I can't 5 star this movie hard enough.

Watched this on your recommendation, as it seemed like something I'd like. I couldn't 2 star it enough. It was just depressing and boring to me. I didn't see any ambiguity about his powers being anything other than mental illness. I think this is another love it or hate it movie.

Red Scorpion is a classic B-movie action flick, though.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I really liked End of Watch but the ending was a bit weird for me too. The finale was tense and unpleasant, and just at the peak of the senseless deaths they start to play triumphant rock music over people dying for no reason? Seemed a bit out of nowhere.

I don't think that music was triumphant at all.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I haven't seen Irreversible mentioned. It's taken Human Centipede 1/2's title of most unsettling movie I've ever seen. If you can handle the extreme content though, I think it's an impressive movie. It's a great example of special effects serving the story. They're all horrifyingly believable, but the effects don't exist for their own sake if that makes sense.

I'm not a connoisseur of French films, but are like 60% of them about fate vs. chaos and cause and effect? I feel like every one I've seen has side characters always orating about that topic.

I would recommend not watching if you don't think you can handle:
- A slow crushing of a living person's head
- Borderline snuff film sex dungeons
- A **9 Full Minute** violent rape scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Smeed posted:

Im confused, these are all huge red flags that the show should be downright awful. The first episode of one of the worst seasons of Weeds was when Nancy (a little white girl) goes to prison and gets into a lesbian relationship after getting involved with a major drug mover.

I think Jenji Kohan is trying to live out a fantasy that she is too old and ugly to have herself. Even if its really a train wreck I'm going to have to check it out.

The series is good and that description did the show a disservice. The series is about the main character coming to terms with what she did and who she was and is. It does a great job humanizing the other inmates and making it clear many of them are not vicious criminal monsters, and have ended up where they are though very normal human mistakes or the system failing them. The main woman is sent to jail because 10 years ago she smuggled some drug money for her girlfriend who she loved at the time. After being named by the ex at trial her she is arrested and her plans to start her life with her new, safe, very middle class boyfriend that she thinks she wants come to a halt. She refuses to accept her involvement in the crime, admit that it was thing she chose to do, and simply some college mistake. The show follows her development in Jail as well as getting into the back stories of other inmates in a gentile nuanced way. It has great nuance when it comes to race relations, and is probably the only series I have seen that bothers to tackle a trans womans narrative in a way that is honest, both the good and the bad.

Basically it is great.

• Locked thread