Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
SNOWBIRDS!

They used to come perform in Juneau every year. Those pilots are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Saw that United is getting a new Scimitar split winglet on all their 737-800's. Pretty bad rear end looking and gives 2% increase in fuel economy as well. They're installing them on all their 737, 757, and 767's and will save them 200 million a year on jet fuel.

http://www.asdnews.com/news-50249/United_Airlines_is_First_to_Install_Split_Scimitar_Winglets.htm

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Saw that United is getting a new Scimitar split winglet on all their 737-800's. Pretty bad rear end looking and gives 2% increase in fuel economy as well. They're installing them on all their 737, 757, and 767's and will save them 200 million a year on jet fuel.

http://www.asdnews.com/news-50249/United_Airlines_is_First_to_Install_Split_Scimitar_Winglets.htm

Goddamn. I wonder how much the cost is to modify the fleet like that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

What's the exact AeroE reason these do even better than normal winglets? Further dampening/reduction in vortices?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In response Delta will probably scrounge up some more gas guzzling DC-9-50s. Because, wtf is going on at Delta.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

movax posted:

What's the exact AeroE reason these do even better than normal winglets? Further dampening/reduction in vortices?

Winglets work not by reducing wingtip vortices (it is an effect of a winglet, however) but by increasing the effective span of the wing. By adding the split section, it has the effect of further increasing the effective span without resorting to a larger winglet (which would present structural and flutter issues, as well as ground handling issues beyond a certain size), or adding more wingspan for that matter, (which has its own issues, like gate space and the extreme cost of redesigning the wing).

Edit: The split winglet is definitely in the realm of diminishing returns. Compared to a non-winglet 737, the split winglet is claimed to show a fuel savings of 5.5% over a typical mission length. This compares to a savings of about 4% for the old-style blended winglet over a non-winglet aircraft. Of course, these savings can be higher or lower according to mission length and also if the airline operates their aircraft to trade off some efficiency for noise abatement, extra payload, climb performance, etc.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 19, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

In response Delta will probably scrounge up some more gas guzzling DC-9-50s. Because, wtf is going on at Delta.

They like their airplanes cheap. They are getting 737-900ERs soon (I think later this year) though.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

hobbesmaster posted:

They start taking delivery of AirTran's used 717s this year and will continue recieving them through 2015.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

They start taking delivery of AirTran's used 717s this year and will continue recieving them through 2015.

What the hell. I've never heard of or been on a 717 and I've never been on one despite being elite on AirTran.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jealous Cow posted:

What the hell. I've never heard of or been on a 717 and I've never been on one despite being elite on AirTran.

Yea you have. It's a DC-9 variant. Boeing renamed it the 717 after buying out Mcdonnell Douglas.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea you have. It's a DC-9 variant. Boeing renamed it the 717 after buying out Mcdonnell Douglas.

They were going to call it the MD-95. Last one rolled out sometime around 2006 IIRC.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I've only ever been on their 37s. Never been on a rear engine AirTran aircraft.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was trying to remember how much the 767 winglet program cost, googled it, and well, here you go!
http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/products_list_prices.php
$545k per aircraft plus labour. I think you probably have to have the blended winglet already installed.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

hobbesmaster posted:

Airlines can have huge capital expenditure and darken the skies with fleets of the latest and greatest fuel-efficient aircraft while trying to keep utilization rates as high as possible (e.g Emirates). Another option would be to minimize capital expenditure on used, though serviceable fleets, while keeping utilization rates low, depressing your operating costs on those tired, fuel sucking machines. If you put in a new interior as Delta is doing, the flying public will even happily assume they're getting on a shiny, new airplane.

This is a gross simplification of the model, but you get the idea. There's no one right way to make money operating an airline. If that's even possible.

Understeer fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 19, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jealous Cow posted:

How on earth is that possible? AirTran has 88 717s and 40 737s.

In other fun news, JAL 7 returned to Boston yesterday with a possible fuel pump issue. Things aren't going too smoothly for the 787.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Understeer posted:

This is a gross simplification of the model, but you get the idea. There's no one right way to make money operating an airline. If that's even possible.

I think you mean there's no right way to try to minimize your operating losses.

Delta also owns refinery capacity in an effort to hedge their fuel costs, but last I heard that wasn't going as well as they anticipated.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In other fun news, JAL 7 returned to Boston yesterday with a possible fuel pump issue. Things aren't going too smoothly for the 787.

I have two separate round trip flights coming up partially on Airtran. Out of the 3 flights, two are 717s and the other is a 737. Should be interesting. It's my first time flying with them and on a 717.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Cock Democracy posted:

I have two separate round trip flights coming up partially on Airtran. Out of the 3 flights, two are 717s and the other is a 737. Should be interesting. It's my first time flying with them and on a 717.

AirTran is meh but you will enjoy the 717. Smooth and quiet.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Polymerized Cum posted:

Unless you're in Row 31, where you get to enjoy the beautiful sound of Rolls Royce engineering.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Presumably less than the $200 million a year they think this will save them in fuel costs?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Came to post this, but at least I'll give the link

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/18/boeing-dreamliner-plane-returns-to-boston-for-possible-fuel-pump-issue/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

I used to ride them all the time bouncing between Detroit/Flint and Atlanta. AirTran was pretty much defined by the 717 IMHO.

Rear row is the worst :smithicide:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

I used to ride them all the time bouncing between Detroit/Flint and Atlanta. AirTran was pretty much defined by the 717 IMHO.

Rear row is the worst :smithicide:

I don't think I've ever not flown business class on AirTran. I flew between Richmond and Orlando weekly for several months and it was a 737 every time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If he was only flying certain routes, I guess. At LAX and SFO I've only ever seen the 737 from AirTran, for example.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Obviously nobody wants an air turnback, but I think this is really just a case of heightened media sensitivity to anything 787 related. If it was a 767 it probably wouldn't have even been reported.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Obviously nobody wants an air turnback, but I think this is really just a case of heightened media sensitivity to anything 787 related. If it was a 767 it probably wouldn't have even been reported.

Pretty much. That kind of poo poo happens all the time too. In just a few months of radar training I've dealt with a few "We're not declaring an emergency, but..." situations already.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

Safety wire and speed tape, mostly.

Also they can't make more than one trip anywhere without breaking for at least a week.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Polymerized Cum posted:

So no hydraulic APU or whatever the gently caress it is under the over wing exit rows?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nice view, probably not so nice if you're afraid if heights.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wait until it takes off. :getin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The uncomfortableness of that point of view depends entirely on how old/unserviceable the bucket truck you're in is...

Last time I did it was in one that was built when Nixon was president, and had to have a third guy in the cab with his foot on the throttle to keep the engine (and, by extension, the hydraulic pump) from stalling. :pseudo:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Not quite on that scale, but when I worked at the plane refurbish place I did right out of high school, we had the most ghetto scaffold in the history of everything. Holy gently caress that thing scared the poo poo out of me. We had a lightly used Hawker 4000 come in for a re-stripe in the owners corporate colors, and doing the vertical stab sucked rear end. The horizontals were in the way and I had to lean over the side of the scaffold, extend my arm way out, and use the dual-action sander that way. gently caress that, never again. That rickety piece of poo poo was swaying all over.

I'm pretty sure it was a leftover from when our two hangers had P-51's in them when Stewart was an air force base. Those hangars ruled, though, our sandblaster was a two stage, two story unit we got from the military as surplus, and used a fire hose sized tube to spray media. We could strip a Citation II down in less than a day. Also, the hangar doors were electric, but they had an alert lever hooked up with giant gently caress off counterweights attached to them. The penalty for activating the switch was death IIRC, it happened once while I was there and they had to call some old timer in at considerable expense to reset it. None of us knew how.

Changing the ceiling lights required one of us to ride the hangar door up, then shimmy across it until we could climb on the walkways like 40 feet above the floor.

Safety was very important!

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 20, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Thank you, convective SIGMET 16E for ensuring a good night's sleep.

Love,

A very sleepy flight medic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Linedance posted:

Yeah of course.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
It's Saturday and I'm putting off showering. Pic dump.

Edit: Those big yellow chocks holding the C-5 and KC-10 in place? Yeah, I made those :cool:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Awesome pics!!

I had to look this up. It's a Lockheed JetStar. 4 engines, cool.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Awesome pics!!

I had to look this up. It's a Lockheed JetStar. 4 engines, cool.

They're very rare these days. I think they got a namedrop in Goldfinger.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StandardVC10 posted:

They're very rare these days. I think they got a namedrop in Goldfinger.

Not a namedrop, but it was the jet at the end of the film that Gert Fröbe got sucked out of.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not a namedrop, but it was the jet at the end of the film that Gert Fröbe got sucked out of.

I could have sworn that James Bond was actually told "You're aboard Goldfinger's personal Lockheed JetStar..." or something like that, but it's been a while since I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

God drat thats a sexy Goose.