Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of TSA and gear chat.

What do you guys think of the Tom Bihn Check point flyer? http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB1701.html

No need to whip out the laptop :eng101: And get one of those toiletry bags where you can just unroll the whole drat thing

I have this urge of mine to just clear out security as fast as possible. Stuff all my keys/wallet/poo poo into a jacket/wind breaker, lay out those bags and bam!

Anyone else got any more tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
I'm not a UA flyer but Marriott (where I'm platinum) just sent me an email stating they were granting me whatever third tier status is. It sounded like a big program based in the graphics and branding so I'm guessing other Marriott folks may get the same thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My tip is to fly to and from airports that have TSA pre check :smug:

But no, I love Bihn bags, they are well thought out and constructed.

I don't ever fly southwest but I would hope that they would start printing tsa precheck approved on their boarding passes like American does. That helps things dramatically along with the pre scanner before the TSA agent so you don't waste their time if you didn't clear.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

kansas posted:

I'm not a UA flyer but Marriott (where I'm platinum) just sent me an email stating they were granting me whatever third tier status is. It sounded like a big program based in the graphics and branding so I'm guessing other Marriott folks may get the same thing.

Oh god this would be amazing.

But gently caress Uniteds options at JFK/LGA. :negative:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

I wish that was always possible. The difference between the Precheck experience and the normal TSA experience is night and day. But my home airport doesn't have Precheck and only some of the airports I travel to have it.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh god this would be amazing.

But gently caress Uniteds options at JFK/LGA. :negative:

Why wouldn't you fly in to EWR? It's easier to get to NYC and is a hub.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Slightly off topic question in regards to JFK. I'm going to be flying into JFK in a few weeks for a short personal trip. What's the most reasonable way to get from JFK to Manhattan?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AirTrain to LIRR Jamaica stop to Penn Station if you're not taking car service or über.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I don't have PreCheck since my home airport oesn't have it. However, recently I was flying out of PDX and TSA line was getting long. After checking our ID, one of the guards was asking people in the express lane if they were flying alone, and if so, to hop on over to the PreCheck lane. It was weird to just put my laptop bag down and not have to take it out, or my toiletries, or anything like that. Certainly a night and day experience, but it was really odd that they would bump us into that lane with any screening at all!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

I don't ever fly southwest but I would hope that they would start printing tsa precheck approved on their boarding passes like American does. That helps things dramatically along with the pre scanner before the TSA agent so you don't waste their time if you didn't clear.
BNA does have pre check. However, the only people they let go through are AA passengers, regardless of whether you qualify and are flying a different airline or not. Glad to be heading back to being able to fly out of DTW where life is much easier.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Belldandy posted:

Why wouldn't you fly in to EWR? It's easier to get to NYC and is a hub.

I live in eastern queens, roughly 20 minutes from my choice of JFK or LaGuardia; 30 bucks for a cab.

EWR takes two hours + and it's a triple digit cab fare.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I live in eastern queens, roughly 20 minutes from my choice of JFK or LaGuardia; 30 bucks for a cab.

Fair enough!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

Plus EWR is the worst airport in the US, hands down.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kansas posted:

It is a thing:

Your United status gets you status on Marriott. Also, your Marriott status gets you status from United.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lyon posted:

How is everyone doing mileage wise?
About 85% of the way to requalifying for EXP.

Question - Does anyone here feel they're getting a good deal out of their hotel loyalty program? I'd like to hear why and how.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ugh. Booked a trip with my boss on the same reservation and now gotta list him for the upgrade as well. I know it won't clear for him but I really don't want to risk it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Small White Dragon posted:

About 85% of the way to requalifying for EXP.

Question - Does anyone here feel they're getting a good deal out of their hotel loyalty program? I'd like to hear why and how.

Define 'good deal'.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm going to spend 4 nights in Moab UT for free on hotel points that would otherwise have cost $200+ a night. I consider that a pretty good deal.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Before Marriott killed the all inclusive packages I took three, separate, week-long vacations to Costa Rica, Aruba, and St. Thomas for a grand total combined out of pocket cost of $2. Now I see why they killed that program. Total point cost was around ~600k I believe.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I am spending 5 nights at the Munich Hilton during Oktoberfest this year for zero dollars. I consider that a pretty good deal. Delta us flying us there for free and Hilton is putting us up for free. I only have to pay for the beer.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
How does that compare with the flat 10% return on hotels.com? I only do 40-50 nights away a year but they are usually in $250-300/night Central London hotels so I'm usually getting 4-5 nights in a 5 star when I redeem. Not having to commit to a single chain is also key for international travel to places where a major chain isn't always available much less the one I would need. What sort of non-free night perks am I really missing out on?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm in the market for a new carry-on rollerbag. What are everyone's favorites?

Edit re: hotels... Hilton has given me a bunch of stuff (drink coupons, nights, free wifi). But my friend on Starwood got an entire week free in Hawaii.

taco show fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

taco show posted:

I'm in the market for a new carry-on rollerbag. What are everyone's favorites?

Edit re: hotels... Hilton has given me a bunch of stuff (drink coupons, nights, free wifi). But my friend on Starwood got an entire week free in Hawaii.

How often do you travel? Hard side or soft? Material?

Without knowing anything, I'd recommend the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Multiwheel.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

3+ times a month, a few days each time. But every so often I'll go for more than a week or need to bring a few suits and that's when my current bag won't cut it. My main requirements are that it's light and easily fits into a standard AA overhead bin.

I don't really care about hard/soft or material, but I've heard horror stories on FlyerTalk about hard shells cracking?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

taco show posted:

3+ times a month, a few days each time. But every so often I'll go for more than a week or need to bring a few suits and that's when my current bag won't cut it. My main requirements are that it's light and easily fits into a standard AA overhead bin.

I don't really care about hard/soft or material, but I've heard horror stories on FlyerTalk about hard shells cracking?

You're in luck, this fits in every AA bin with the exception of the CRJ and EMB jets, which you'd normally not fit anything in anyway. I fly heavily on AA so I have validated this. I have also brought mine for about 600k miles and I have no cracks. I have an Eagle Creek tri-folder thing I put inside to keep wrinkles away.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Belldandy posted:

Without knowing anything, I'd recommend the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Multiwheel.
Which size?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

I bought this one: http://www.zappos.com/rimowa-salsa-deluxe-cabin-multiwheel-iata-black?zfcTest=fcl%3A0 and it worked great even for a 10 day trip to Europe and fit on European planes.

There is another one that is slightly bigger http://www.zappos.com/rimowa-salsa-deluxe-cabin-multiwheel-black?zfcTest=fcl%3A0 but I decided against it because it is technically over the limits for carry-on baggage, but it's not enough so that I don't think it would fit.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Vomik posted:

I bought this one: http://www.zappos.com/rimowa-salsa-deluxe-cabin-multiwheel-iata-black?zfcTest=fcl%3A0 and it worked great even for a 10 day trip to Europe and fit on European planes.

There is another one that is slightly bigger http://www.zappos.com/rimowa-salsa-deluxe-cabin-multiwheel-black?zfcTest=fcl%3A0 but I decided against it because it is technically over the limits for carry-on baggage, but it's not enough so that I don't think it would fit.

Yep, this. I Have the IATA one, never had a second look at it. The larger one might get questioned.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So the DoJ has filed to stop the AA/US merger.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

So the DoJ has filed to stop the AA/US merger.

That would really piss me off, because I was looking forward to having Charlotte as a hub for getting around the eastern US on AA from TN. I avoid ORD like the plague.

This is sort of on-topic, sorta not - and this is addressed to the whole thread - but I may be interviewing for a 35-50% travel (as listed on the posting) position in the near future. In hindsight or not, what would be the three most important questions you would ask during interviews/negotiations, regarding business travel, so that there are no surprises and so that realistic expectations are established early on?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

That would really piss me off, because I was looking forward to having Charlotte as a hub for getting around the eastern US on AA from TN. I avoid ORD like the plague.

This is sort of on-topic, sorta not - and this is addressed to the whole thread - but I may be interviewing for a 35-50% travel (as listed on the posting) position in the near future. In hindsight or not, what would be the three most important questions you would ask during interviews/negotiations, regarding business travel, so that there are no surprises and so that realistic expectations are established early on?

Official policies are usually crap:
'always book the cheapest fare regardless of carrier'
'never spend more than $100/night for a hotel'
'always use your company amex for all work expenses' (drat you Visa-dependent Marriott megabonus!)

I think any questions you ask will be given the standard corporate answer. I'd try and talk to someone more casually about how it actually works in practice.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

kansas posted:

'always use your company amex for all work expenses' (drat you Visa-dependent Marriott megabonus!)

I think any questions you ask will be given the standard corporate answer. I'd try and talk to someone more casually about how it actually works in practice.

So what you're saying is that it is unlikely that there is any kind of formal agreement on the maximum or minimum amount of travel, on whether or not to expect any weekend travel, how much would be driving distance vs flying, etc? It's for an application engineer position, so it's not quite the high-octane travel of sales or consultants.

One of my references is an employee at the company who has the same job title that I'm going with, so I plan on asking him a lot about the reality of his situation. I'm more asking here about, basically, if there's anything I can say or do to avoid getting screwed. I'm married and want to have a family soon, and this career move is one that could allow my wife to have no pressure to have a career of her own. Plus, I'd be working from a home office, so whenever I wasn't traveling I would be home.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but there is definitely some sort of corporate policy you need to know, whether or not it is closely followed. My company sticks pretty closely to the 'standard corporate answer' and a colleague was fired recently for not adhering to the rules.

It would also depend on how big your company is. My sales friend at a small 100 person company has a pretty rough time with booking travel, staying at low-end chains, needing to drive everywhere, etc. On the other hand, my company does cool stuff like double my hourly rate for Sunday travel.

In other, unrelated news, I'm finally home for two consecutive weeks after almost three months of Monday-to-Friday-and-sometimes-weekends travel. My bed feels weird and I really need to do laundry, but it's good to be back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kansas posted:

Kinda disagree there. You might have a manager and/or somebody booking your travel that is willing to ignore the rules, but that could easily change overnight. I'd be much more interested in what the official policies are. If somebody is traveling a lot that can have a substantial quality of life impact. If the travel policies aren't reasonable I'd consider that to be a huge warning sign.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

taco show posted:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but there is definitely some sort of corporate policy you need to know, whether or not it is closely followed. My company sticks pretty closely to the 'standard corporate answer' and a colleague was fired recently for not adhering to the rules.

It would also depend on how big your company is. My sales friend at a small 100 person company has a pretty rough time with booking travel, staying at low-end chains, needing to drive everywhere, etc. On the other hand, my company does cool stuff like double my hourly rate for Sunday travel.

In other, unrelated news, I'm finally home for two consecutive weeks after almost three months of Monday-to-Friday-and-sometimes-weekends travel. My bed feels weird and I really need to do laundry, but it's good to be back.

Nope, not sarcastic, just completely new to the idea of that kind of culture. It sounds like "policy" is the easy part, although that seems to be about how you travel more than when you travel. For example, did you know that when you hired into your job that you could end up traveling for almost 3 months straight? Or did they say something like "25-50% travel" in the job description and then say times are tough, looks like you're going to have to suck it up and never be home? In other words, does the fact that a job was advertised at 35% travel carry any weight at all once you're hired?

The 35% posted in the job description is a very manageable number, but if they could freely turn around and ship me out for two months at a time without recourse, which would wreak havoc on my home life, then that's something I need to consider against the potential increase in income that the job would entail.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Thoguh posted:

If the travel policies aren't reasonable I'd consider that to be a huge warning sign.
And it's the same about the "when" too. If you are worried, definitely ask! How many days a week? How flexible is the schedule? Are there any teleconferencing alternatives just in case? Consider that 35% might be fine, but what about 50%?

This summer was way out of the norm for me but yes, I knew when I signed the papers how much I might have to travel. It is slightly above what was in the job description, but I asked during the interview and they were very forthcoming. I also had the option to stay at home a few times, but I believed that being there in-person would be vastly better for whatever I was working on.

I personally really enjoy business travel- I get to visit cool cities, meet interesting people, and drink regional beers. There are times when it really sucks, but for the most part I'm having fun racking up the miles and points.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fryhtaning posted:

The 35% posted in the job description is a very manageable number, but if they could freely turn around and ship me out for two months at a time without recourse, which would wreak havoc on my home life, then that's something I need to consider against the potential increase in income that the job would entail.

So ask about that.

Fryhtaning posted:

So what you're saying is that it is unlikely that there is any kind of formal agreement on the maximum or minimum amount of travel, on whether or not to expect any weekend travel, how much would be driving distance vs flying, etc? It's for an application engineer position, so it's not quite the high-octane travel of sales or consultants.

You haven't named the company, and none of us know you in real life, we don't have these answers.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm sure there will be some sort of corporate guideline.

For example, our food rule says that we should spend no more than $5 for breakfast (if not free at the hotel/provided by the client), $15 for lunch (same caveat as breakfast), and $25 for dinner. Even in the guide it says there are obviously going to be exceptions to this depending on where you go. Just use your best judgement and do what the other people on the team do.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Morby posted:

I'm sure there will be some sort of corporate guideline.

For example, our food rule says that we should spend no more than $5 for breakfast (if not free at the hotel/provided by the client), $15 for lunch (same caveat as breakfast), and $25 for dinner. Even in the guide it says there are obviously going to be exceptions to this depending on where you go. Just use your best judgement and do what the other people on the team do.

I'm not too worried about those kinds of guidelines based on what everyone has said. I'd gain so much weight on most of the per diems I've seen listed, and I'm the kind of guy who would end up packing some protein powder to take for snacks while traveling to further ensure that doesn't happen. gently caress being an endomorph.

taco show posted:

And it's the same about the "when" too. If you are worried, definitely ask! How many days a week? How flexible is the schedule? Are there any teleconferencing alternatives just in case? Consider that 35% might be fine, but what about 50%?

I personally really enjoy business travel- I get to visit cool cities, meet interesting people, and drink regional beers. There are times when it really sucks, but for the most part I'm having fun racking up the miles and points.

I was a little concerned about showing any apprehension about excessive travel for a job that explicitly states at least 1/3 time traveling, but it sounds like you asked the same kinds of questions and it worked out for you in the end. That last sentence could have been written by me, so I know I'd enjoy the lifestyle a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fryhtaning posted:

FWIW, the DoJ filing has some interesting emails from US leadership. This should not surprise anybody, but they are planning to reduce service (quality AND quantity), and raise both prices and fees.