Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Another $2/$5 hand. Villain is a good regular. Effective stacks are $1600.

Villain opens from EP to $20. 2 callers before me. I call with 8:s:7:s: on the button. BB calls.

Flop comes 6:d:5:s:3:c: Checks to me. I bet $70. Villain calls. One MP calls. Everyone else folds.

Turn 2:s: Pot is like $310. Checks to me. I bet $200. Villain calls. MP folds.

River is T:d: Pot is $710. Villain checks. I...?

Reads on villain: his opening range is very wide. He'll typically c-bet this flop if he has an overpair or better, or spades. If he has air he usually just check folds OOP with 5 to the flop.

When he calls flop I put him on a pair, maybe like A5s or similar. Maybe 88 plays it this way too. I don't think he has a big hand though. He knows that I probably bet this flop with good made hands and good draws.

After he calls turn and the river is a blank, I'm not sure what to do. Villain typically goes with his read all the way to the end. He views me as an aggressive player so if he thinks I have enough draws in my range he'll call me down to the river with something as weak as a 3 or 5. Just earlier in the session he called down to the river a 3 bet pot pre with 22 and won.

Do I give up here or fire one more time? If so how big of a bet? If I had a straight or set here I would probably bet $450 to $500 against this villain so I assume that is what I should bet.

I bet this river unless I have a history with villain that makes me think he will call me light. Was his earlier call down against you? Around 450 sounds good. But if your range is correct (he can have A5s and such in his range) than I would strongly consider 3betting preflop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ranma posted:

I bet this river unless I have a history with villain that makes me think he will call me light. Was his earlier call down against you? Around 450 sounds good. But if your range is correct (he can have A5s and such in his range) than I would strongly consider 3betting preflop.

No the earlier calldown wasn't against me, but he knows that I don't have to have much here so it's possible he will call me light here. I'm very confident that his range is very wide here. Sometimes I 3-bet this hand preflop if it looks like it's not going to be a multiway pot, but in position with a hand that plays well multiway and with 2 callers already and likely one more out of the blinds I decided to just see a flop and proceed from there.

He actually ended up check/jamming the river after I bet $475 and obviously I had to fold.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

No the earlier calldown wasn't against me, but he knows that I don't have to have much here so it's possible he will call me light here. I'm very confident that his range is very wide here. Sometimes I 3-bet this hand preflop if it looks like it's not going to be a multiway pot, but in position with a hand that plays well multiway and with 2 callers already and likely one more out of the blinds I decided to just see a flop and proceed from there.

He actually ended up check/jamming the river after I bet $475 and obviously I had to fold.

Your hand goes down in value multiway in my opinion, harder to steal pots and more likely to get flush over flushed.

HomerCSM
Aug 24, 2004

Benjamins for Breakfast
Live NL 5/5 hand. Effective Stacks are 700.

EP open to $20, MP caller, I call from cutoff with AsJh and SB calls.

Flop Qc 8s 3s, checks around to me and I bet 50. SB makes it $170 and other two fold.

SB looks to be an solid asian reg. Only been at the table 10 hands but I've seen him use some discretion so he seems solid and not spewy.

At this point I decide to make it $290 with the intention of folding to a shove. I figure with the As he will fold his FD's because they aren't the nut draw as well as most one pair hands as my raise looks really strong.

He thinks for 3 mins, then says "Alright I'm all in, give me a spade dealer". Once I hear all-in I'm going to insta fold but his FD outburst seemed pretty genuine.

I pause and start thinking about if I can call this with Ace high. He shoved 390 into 665 so I'm getting 2.5:1 on a call. If he just had a naked FD I know I'm leading but even then we're flipping-ish. I figured he could be hollywooding some of the time in which case I'm dead, or he could have a Q with a FD and knows he's behind but wants to gamble. Considering the fd, pair+fd, or 2 pair-set combos, what kind of equity do I have?

Not sure how to setup the math equation to see if I can call this ace high.I ended up folding and he told me he had a king high fd and that "the games are terrible today so I just wanted to gamble and go home if I missed"

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

HomerCSM posted:

Live NL 5/5 hand. Effective Stacks are 700.

EP open to $20, MP caller, I call from cutoff with AsJh and SB calls.

Flop Qc 8s 3s, checks around to me and I bet 50. SB makes it $170 and other two fold.

SB looks to be an solid asian reg. Only been at the table 10 hands but I've seen him use some discretion so he seems solid and not spewy.

At this point I decide to make it $290 with the intention of folding to a shove. I figure with the As he will fold his FD's because they aren't the nut draw as well as most one pair hands as my raise looks really strong.

He thinks for 3 mins, then says "Alright I'm all in, give me a spade dealer". Once I hear all-in I'm going to insta fold but his FD outburst seemed pretty genuine.

I pause and start thinking about if I can call this with Ace high. He shoved 390 into 665 so I'm getting 2.5:1 on a call. If he just had a naked FD I know I'm leading but even then we're flipping-ish. I figured he could be hollywooding some of the time in which case I'm dead, or he could have a Q with a FD and knows he's behind but wants to gamble. Considering the fd, pair+fd, or 2 pair-set combos, what kind of equity do I have?

Not sure how to setup the math equation to see if I can call this ace high.I ended up folding and he told me he had a king high fd and that "the games are terrible today so I just wanted to gamble and go home if I missed"

Fold pre most of the time at full ring. If you aren't folding pre then you should be able to be 3betting a lot of trash.
You got too fancy on the flop. You just got check/raised on the flop by the first player to act, with 2 to act behind him. Just fold. If you don't want to fold, you should call. Your reraise doesn't make a lot of sense.

AmnesiaLab
Nov 9, 2004

Stark raving sane.
I agree with Ranma. 3-betting that flop is pure spew. You say you can knock him off spade draws and one pair hands, but do you really think he wants to bloat the pot out of position with one pair with three active people behind him? You're gonna see a lot of check-calling with a non-nut spade draw as well hoping it'll trigger calls behind to boost the odds. I doubt you're gonna see a check-raise here unless it's a pair and a flush draw, minimum, which is crushing you since you can only have one overcard to him.

Just be patient. Don't try to force things with no hand and no draw. You don't have to win every hand. Getting cute like this will hamstring your winrate. You can't afford to get involved in big pots with the worst of it; you want to lose small pots and win big ones. If you're seriously considering making a hero call with ace high after a check-raiser four-bet shoves on you, you're going to be showing up in big pots with way too little and you're gonna get killed.

This is a cash game. You're not forced to make a move, and this isn't a good spot for one. If you think that's boring and you want to get fancy and try to outplay someone, wait until you have more than 10 hands worth of information on them.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ranma posted:

Your hand goes down in value multiway in my opinion, harder to steal pots and more likely to get flush over flushed.

Can you expand on this statement? I mean I understand hitting a lower flush and getting stacked being a concern, but other than this I always thought medium suited connectors in general play pretty well multiway because straights are likely to be nut straights a lot of the time and you are less likely to be dominated if you hit top pair/two pair/trips (as opposed to say like A5s where you have a good chance of being dominated preflop multiway which is one reason why I like 3-betting AXs more often than like 87s).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Live $2/$5. Table full of pretty tight regulars and a couple of fish who are calling preflop with any 2. Villain is a tight regular who generally doesn't want to play big pots unless he has the nuts. Effective stacks are ~$1400.

One limper to me in MP and I raise to $25 with J:d:T:d:. Villain to my direct left calls, CO calls, button calls, SB folds, BB folds, EP limper calls.

Flop: K:c:9:d:3:d: (Pot: $125)

EP checks, I check, Villain bets $60, folds to me, I raise to $195, Villain raises to $400. I call $205.

Turn: 6:h: (Pot: $925)

I check, Villain bets $700, I fold.

Do you just bet this flop or do you check/raise it? Also do you shove ~$975 on turn if you hit or just bet like $600 and shove any river? I think he checks back any turn :d: a good percentage of the time even with a set.

I think everything after that is pretty standard because this villain has a set, K9, or like K:d:X:d: here close to 100% of the time when he 3-bets me on the flop so I decide to call his 3-bet because I have 11 outs (every :d: minus the K:d: plus any Q), good immediate odds ($205 to win $720), and great implied odds if I hit. When the turn bricks and he bets that much I fold because I'm only like ~25% against his range and I don't have the odds any more to call.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 7, 2013

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Can you expand on this statement? I mean I understand hitting a lower flush and getting stacked being a concern, but other than this I always thought medium suited connectors in general play pretty well multiway because straights are likely to be nut straights a lot of the time and you are less likely to be dominated if you hit top pair/two pair/trips (as opposed to say like A5s where you have a good chance of being dominated preflop multiway which is one reason why I like 3-betting AXs more often than like 87s).

Too often you are going to see the flop 4-5 ways and people are going to be in there with hands like K7s or other suited trash that dominates you. When you 3bet you fold out those hands, collect dead money, and get it heads up or win the pot immediately usually. Plus people put you on high cards usually when you 3bet so you get credit when you whiff 78s and no credit when you hit. Yes, if you make a straight it is going to be the nuts more often - but think of a 56Kss board. Multiway there is probably someone else drawing to the flush which hurts your real outs and your bluff outs, whereas if you 3bet and its heads up/3 ways to that flop most people are folding hands without a K in them on the flop.
A5s is much worse to 3bet because you fold out all the suited trash you want to flush over flush or hit trips against, and don't fold out many aces that dominate you. Plus when you hit the ace you are not getting paid much.

Mind_Taker posted:

Live $2/$5. Table full of pretty tight regulars and a couple of fish who are calling preflop with any 2. Villain is a tight regular who generally doesn't want to play big pots unless he has the nuts. Effective stacks are ~$1400.

One limper to me in MP and I raise to $25 with J:d:T:d:. Villain to my direct left calls, CO calls, button calls, SB folds, BB folds, EP limper calls.

Flop: K:c:9:d:3:d: (Pot: $125)

EP checks, I check, Villain bets $60, folds to me, I raise to $195, Villain raises to $400. I call $205.

Turn: 6:h: (Pot: $925)

I check, Villain bets $700, I fold.

Do you just bet this flop or do you check/raise it? Also do you shove ~$975 on turn if you hit or just bet like $600 and shove any river? I think he checks back any turn :d: a good percentage of the time even with a set.

I think everything after that is pretty standard because this villain has a set, K9, or like K:d:X:d: here close to 100% of the time when he 3-bets me on the flop so I decide to call his 3-bet because I have 11 outs (every :d: minus the K:d: plus any Q), good immediate odds ($205 to win $720), and great implied odds if I hit. When the turn bricks and he bets that much I fold because I'm only like ~25% against his range and I don't have the odds any more to call.
I'm definitely cbetting this flop with a gutshot and flush draw on a K high board as the PFR, and if I c/r I'm going bigger, like $250. I don't want people peeling their flush draws since most are bigger than ours. Do you really think villain will bet/3bet the preflop raiser with KdXd? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Then you go on to say you have 11 outs? If he can be 3betting with top pair plus a flush draw then you can hit and still lose! Of course he has to be playing hands like Kd7d or something for him to have many pair and flush draw hands, since you have 2 of the most likely KdXd cards in your hand.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think K:d:X:d: can be purged from his range some, but I think A:d:K:d: is doing this and maybe K:d:Q:d:. Other ones might just call my c/r. But I think this is like 90% of the time a set or top 2. I do think I made a mistake by not c-betting this flop which is the main reason why I posted it.

Ranma posted:

Too often you are going to see the flop 4-5 ways and people are going to be in there with hands like K7s or other suited trash that dominates you. When you 3bet you fold out those hands, collect dead money, and get it heads up or win the pot immediately usually. Plus people put you on high cards usually when you 3bet so you get credit when you whiff 78s and no credit when you hit. Yes, if you make a straight it is going to be the nuts more often - but think of a 56Kss board. Multiway there is probably someone else drawing to the flush which hurts your real outs and your bluff outs, whereas if you 3bet and its heads up/3 ways to that flop most people are folding hands without a K in them on the flop.

It's like you're a wizard or something because just last night I 3-bet 76s preflop after a raise and a bunch of callers, board comes T762 and we get it in on the turn and the river is a T so I think I lost after getting counterfeited but I guess he called me down with like a small pair or AK or something and I scoop a $1500 pot.

AmnesiaLab
Nov 9, 2004

Stark raving sane.

Mind_Taker posted:

I just lead this flop. you're multiway with a big draw, and a normal lead has a chance of getting multiple calls and padding your odds even more. You're dealing with TAGs and stations, so check-raises are gonna whiff and miss value too much. Sounds like our villain's normal flop raising range is relatively small even if we lead, but we're gonna have to call any flop raise with our equity. I don't think we have any reason to get cute here. Lead it, flat if raised, and hope the turn hits you. Sounds like our villain is mostly sitting at the table because you've got a few calling stations around. I doubt he's particularly interested in trying to outplay you while they're around, so I would assume his bets mean what they seem to mean until you have some reason to believe otherwise. May as well keep it simple.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Live $2/$5. Villain is a solid winning regular who plays very straightforwardly against fish but mixes up his game against better players. He likely sees me as a winning regular though probably not as good as him. Also he knows that I am a looser player. Effective stacks are $1300.

I have A:c:8:c: in the HJ and raise to $20 after it folds to me. Villain 3-bets on the button to $65. I 4-bet to $190. Villain calls.

Flop comes A77r (Pot: $380). I bet $150, Villain calls

Turn comes 6 (Pot: $680). I check, Villain checks.

River comes another 6. I bet $375.

I thought this would be a good spot pre for a 4-bet/fold as I know his 3-bet range here is very wide and I'm likely to get lots of folds, but I think calling isn't great because I'm OOP and my hand isn't very good and I will likely get outplayed postflop. When he flats my 4-bet I think he has a pretty strong hand, maybe like AQ+ and TT+? Even TT and AQ have a hard time flatting here I think.

I decide to bet the flop smallish because I think he thinks I am going to check this flop with most of my preflop value range and bet it with most of my bluffs which I think he thinks I am capable of having here. JJ-KK are likely not to c-bet this super dry A high board so a bet here might look a little weak. I expected him to call with most of his range.

I check the turn because if I bet again I think he might fold hands that I beat if he feared a river bet, and he's always calling with hands that beat me. If he bets like half pot here should I be folding?

After he checks back the turn I think I can value bet the river and plan on probably folding to a shove.

Critique away.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Playing live cash today:

Blinds 50p/25p (in the UK)

I pick up QsJs in UTG+2, with 8 players. Two folds, I raise to £1.50, 5 callers. Flop comes so that I have two overcards and a flush draw. I bet £5 for the semi bluff, one call, one reraise to 20 off a guy who's getting steadily more drunk. I tank for a while then call. This is the only play I'm not sure about. I make the flush on the turn when the Ks falls, and I shove the rest of my chips (now not much compared with the size of the pot). I have a straight flush draw, and the only card I fear anyway is the As, and I figure drunky's raising me all in with almost anything, and a fold would, I feel, be very nitty. So I get 'em in now.

Is this a good play or not? Overall, I mean. I'm happy with how I played it but since I'm posting this I'm sure you can guess the result.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Just shove over the guys flop raise. this way you don't even have to hit a bunch of the times when he folds and you're also not left in the stupid position of having to check fold the turn when you miss. Calling with draws oop sucks and you probably shouldn't do it unless you're pretty deep.

AARO fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 30, 2013

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah like I said that was the one bit of my play I wasn't happy with, should've shoved or folded. Bah.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
What were the effective stacks, 100BB? if you only have $50 at the start of the hand then youre calling off a huge chunk of your stack, with what gameplan? Only continuing if you hit the flush on the turn? The Ks is basically your gin card in that hand, would you have shoved/called a shove if you say, paired your jack on the turn? You dont even have a pot sized bet left after that call, its putting you in too many weird spots to just flat call 40% of your stack on the flop

Also though if the standard 3x raise is getting 5 or so callers regularly then you might think about making it more, at live tables sometimes you have to make it like 6x preflop before you are getting a reasonable amount of callers. Lots of times at a 1/2 table you can make it $10 and still get like 6 callers, and unless you flop the nuts its harder to play against 6 drunk passive dudes than 1 or 2

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh no that wasn't a regular occurrence, that's the thing that made me think it was weird. Was a relatively tight table. Yeah should certainly have shoved earlier. Regretting not doing so. Thanks anyway guys, much appreciated.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Mind_Taker posted:

Live $2/$5. Villain is a solid winning regular who plays very straightforwardly against fish but mixes up his game against better players. He likely sees me as a winning regular though probably not as good as him. Also he knows that I am a looser player. Effective stacks are $1300.

I have A:c:8:c: in the HJ and raise to $20 after it folds to me. Villain 3-bets on the button to $65. I 4-bet to $190. Villain calls.

Flop comes A77r (Pot: $380). I bet $150, Villain calls

Turn comes 6 (Pot: $680). I check, Villain checks.

River comes another 6. I bet $375.

I thought this would be a good spot pre for a 4-bet/fold as I know his 3-bet range here is very wide and I'm likely to get lots of folds, but I think calling isn't great because I'm OOP and my hand isn't very good and I will likely get outplayed postflop. When he flats my 4-bet I think he has a pretty strong hand, maybe like AQ+ and TT+? Even TT and AQ have a hard time flatting here I think.

I decide to bet the flop smallish because I think he thinks I am going to check this flop with most of my preflop value range and bet it with most of my bluffs which I think he thinks I am capable of having here. JJ-KK are likely not to c-bet this super dry A high board so a bet here might look a little weak. I expected him to call with most of his range.

I check the turn because if I bet again I think he might fold hands that I beat if he feared a river bet, and he's always calling with hands that beat me. If he bets like half pot here should I be folding?

After he checks back the turn I think I can value bet the river and plan on probably folding to a shove.

Critique away.

This looks really good to me. Really like the river bet. Makes it really hard to play QQ against you and makes you really balanced so you can bluff in this spot.

I probably fold if he bets river.

Also I'm not really sure what he can c/shove for value here. Is he almost always doing that with AK? Another thing is your hand kind of looks like ATs or what it is to a certain degree. Against certain kinds of aggressive tricky players who turn decent hands into bluffs, I think you can even bet/call but I'm pretty spewy. B/f is almost certainly best.

AARO fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 1, 2013

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
25NL, 5-handed. I open T:d:9:d: in the cutoff to 3bb, the SB (23/19, 15% 3bet pre over 62 hands) makes it 10bb. I think playing this in position isn't horrible; I'm not likely to be dominated and I have good implied odds. I call. I started with 100bb, he covers.
Flop comes 9:h:8:s:3:h:. He bets $4.25 into $5.25, I think I can call at least one street with top pair and call, hoping he has two broadways and gives up.
Turn Q:s:, he checks. I think all's going according to plan and bet $8 into $13.75, not wanting to see an overcard/a heart/a spade on the river. He shoves over me. I'm getting a bit over 4:1 and call, thinking he either paired a Q or has a draw. He had QQ.
I think I played this pretty badly, could someone help me out?

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.

Maha posted:

25NL, 5-handed. I open T:d:9:d: in the cutoff to 3bb, the SB (23/19, 15% 3bet pre over 62 hands) makes it 10bb. I think playing this in position isn't horrible; I'm not likely to be dominated and I have good implied odds. I call. I started with 100bb, he covers.
Flop comes 9:h:8:s:3:h:. He bets $4.25 into $5.25, I think I can call at least one street with top pair and call, hoping he has two broadways and gives up.
Turn Q:s:, he checks. I think all's going according to plan and bet $8 into $13.75, not wanting to see an overcard/a heart/a spade on the river. He shoves over me. I'm getting a bit over 4:1 and call, thinking he either paired a Q or has a draw. He had QQ.
I think I played this pretty badly, could someone help me out?

Calling pre is probably ok but his stats arent super relevant wrt 3betting yet. Definitely calling flop. Turn you need to think about his range. He's most likely going to continue betting if he has spades, KK+, QQ sometimes but as you found out people will check some when the hand goes down like this, maybe JJ or TT, AQ. He should continue betting often because of how drawy the board is and how likely it is we'll want to see a free card. So when he checks turn he's going to be very polarized in general, hands like K7s or 56s or AK that don't want to continue bluffing on a wet board. That makes our sizing a little suboptimal. He has either a small amount of equity or a large amount of equity, so to take advantage of his probably mostly weak range we should be betting small on the turn. Since he has so little equity (or so much) we can bet pretty small and not allow him to either call profitably or check/raise us allin. If we bet something like $4.50 we can comfortably fold to a check/shove instead of having to call in this breakeven/losing spot.

This has the added benefit of frequently letting us check behind river when he just calls and checks. Or we can hit and get more money.

It's really important to accurately range your opponents offensively and defensively to determine the optimal line and sizing with your hand. A seemingly small bet sizing mistake on turn turned into a ~80bb breakeven calloff.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 4, 2013

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

Calling pre is probably ok but his stats arent super relevant wrt 3betting yet. Definitely calling flop. Turn you need to think about his range. He's most likely going to continue betting if he has spades, KK+, QQ sometimes but as you found out people will check some when the hand goes down like this, maybe JJ or TT, AQ. He should continue betting often because of how drawy the board is and how likely it is we'll want to see a free card. So when he checks turn he's going to be very polarized in general, hands like K7s or 56s or AK that don't want to continue bluffing on a wet board. That makes our sizing a little suboptimal. He has either a small amount of equity or a large amount of equity, so to take advantage of his probably mostly weak range we should be betting small on the turn. Since he has so little equity (or so much) we can bet pretty small and not allow him to either call profitably or check/raise us allin. If we bet something like $4.50 we can comfortably fold to a check/shove instead of having to call in this breakeven/losing spot.

This has the added benefit of frequently letting us check behind river when he just calls and checks. Or we can hit and get more money.

It's really important to accurately range your opponents offensively and defensively to determine the optimal line and sizing with your hand. A seemingly small bet sizing mistake on turn turned into a ~80bb breakeven calloff.

I see, thanks. What would you think of just checking back turn with my showdown value?

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.

Maha posted:

I see, thanks. What would you think of just checking back turn with my showdown value?

We still have a street to play and allowing villain to see free cards here every time is going to lose us money and let us get bluffed easily.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Was this turn fold of TPTK too nitty?
25NL, 6max. UTG raises to 3x, I just call in MP with A:h:K:h: to induce the CO sitting with 24bb to shove over (which I'd seen him do a few times). He folds, the BB calls.
Flop comes K:s:7:c:2:s:. BB checks, UTG bets $1.65 into $2.20. I just call and see if I can get the BB to come along, he does.
Turn Q:h:. BB checks, UTG bets $5.36 into $7.15. Here I'm afraid I'm beat.
I have over 1k hands on UTG and he only cbets 57% of the time to begin with, I imagine even less on multiway pots. The board's pretty dry, his flop bet got called by two people and the turn brought more action, so I don't think he'd fire a second barrel as a bluff here. I had a feeling this bet meant he could beat a K; KQ just got there, AA or any sets would play like this. Only hands I see him doing this with that I'm not behind are A:s:X:s: or another AK. Plus with another guy left to act behind me I wasn't really comfortable continuing on, and just folded. What do you think?

Maha fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 7, 2013

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

What are his other stats? What are your stats? Does he seem like a drooler or is he paying attention?

I'm almost always 3-betting preflop even if you want a short stack to come along. Chances are he's folding no matter what you do.

As played, I am usually raising that flop unless you know he is folding top pair type hands to you. There are plenty of worse hands that will call you.

I am not folding that turn. There are so many hands that you are beating that bet twice (spades, JTs, AQ, KJ, KT, air). As played I'm calling and calling blank rivers unless you have very specific reads.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
a

AARO fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 16, 2013

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Maha posted:

Was this turn fold of TPTK too nitty?
25NL, 6max. UTG raises to 3x, I just call in MP with A:h:K:h: to induce the CO sitting with 24bb to shove over (which I'd seen him do a few times). He folds, the BB calls.
Flop comes K:s:7:c:2:s:. BB checks, UTG bets $1.65 into $2.20. I just call and see if I can get the BB to come along, he does.
Turn Q:h:. BB checks, UTG bets $5.36 into $7.15. Here I'm afraid I'm beat.
I have over 1k hands on UTG and he only cbets 57% of the time to begin with, I imagine even less on multiway pots. The board's pretty dry, his flop bet got called by two people and the turn brought more action, so I don't think he'd fire a second barrel as a bluff here. I had a feeling this bet meant he could beat a K; KQ just got there, AA or any sets would play like this. Only hands I see him doing this with that I'm not behind are A:s:X:s: or another AK. Plus with another guy left to act behind me I wasn't really comfortable continuing on, and just folded. What do you think?

Raise the flop, you already look strong flatting with one behind and people are going to call flop raises light on this board, and it lets you play for stacks.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Thanks, guys. More info for the people who asked for it:

On the ~1300 hands I have on UTG he's 23/19, 1.9 AF, cbet/fold to cbet 57/34 and he's done tricky stuff against me in the past:
- c/r'd my cbet on QQ4ss and folded to a 3b
- 3b-shoved over a raise on a T-high board with a Kx FD
- on a 4bet bvb pot, I cbet a 732r flop and he shoved with AQ

I only have 240 hands on BB, but he was 21/17, 2.3 AF, cbet/f 71/43 and I had an old note that said "sees me as bluffy", which probably meant he started snapping me off at some point. I saw both these guys as somewhat competent.

As for me, this session I'd been 15/14 and not too active. UTG's stats on me are closer to my actual 24/19, 2.7 AF, cbet/f 67/41.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Live: $0.50/$1. 6 Players. Hero and Villain have ~150BB. Others have ~75-100BB.

Hero is in SB w/ Ks8c.

UTG Calls, MP Folds, CO Calls, BTN (Villain) Calls, SB (Hero) calls, BB checks.

Flop: 5 Players - 5BB
TsJsQc

4 checks,Villain bets 4BB, Hero Calls, 3 folds

Turn: (13 BB) 9s

Hero Checks, Villain Bets 15 BB, Hero raises 40 BB, Villain raises and is all-in
(Pot is 198, 90 to call)

Villain is a competent, loose player who only bets aggressively when he has a made hand or a strong drawing hand. I've played with him for a bit and he knows I'm capable of making strong plays with draws, although I've played mostly tight and cautiously. Villain would have raised AK or JJ+ if he had it preflop. In my head it seems like there's enough draws, worse straights, and lower flushes that I can outdraw to give me enough equity to call, right?

Obviously this is a bad beat story: I call, opponent has 7s8s for the straight flush.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
Nothing wrong with flatting turn

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Yeah, I could have flatted, but I felt like I had decent equity against his shoving range and could get value from a lot of worse straights and potentially trips or two pair, and punish As drawing hands. If his shoving range is KTs-K2s,KJo-K2o,*s*s,As**, I have 59.51% equity to his 40.49%. My logic might be off, however, so please let me know if you think this is reasonable.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

Imaduck posted:

Yeah, I could have flatted, but I felt like I had decent equity against his shoving range and could get value from a lot of worse straights and potentially trips or two pair, and punish As drawing hands. If his shoving range is KTs-K2s,KJo-K2o,*s*s,As**, I have 59.51% equity to his 40.49%. My logic might be off, however, so please let me know if you think this is reasonable.

I dont think him bet/shoving every king is very reasonable in a 6way or whatever pot. I also dont think he is always betting flop with any 2 spades or every single king in the deck. I think he's weighted to have stronger hands especially the nuts. Also he can't have every single As** because he bet flop, not even taking into account the fact that he's pretty unlikely to just bet/slam it in with just the ace of spades. He basically doesn't have any kings at all even after just betting flop. He's also never shoving 2p or sets or worse straights on the turn. Unless he has the 8s maaaaybe.

Basically his range is nut flushes and non nut flushes. Lot of Qxss and Axss for sure. Honestly even flatting turn is very optimistic since we're basically at best chopping and drawing to some outs that won't get us paid and might lose us a lot of money. He did bet pot after all. Also we should really just fold flop especially next to act when he leads.

Also assuming btn limps every king and every ace and every 2 spades is probably a mistake.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Am I am absolute nit or is that just an easy fold on the flop? Maybe a raise if the button is likely to be betting a lot of hands he'll be willing to fold but calling is just gross. We have 3 people left to act behind, we'll be out of position for the rest of the hand, and on the occasions we make a straight it'll be very difficult to win a large pot. If we miss on the turn the plan is usually just check/fold right?

Villain's line is badass though, overbetting the pot on the turn and then 3bet shoving over a raise with the straight flush? So ballsy, no fear of missing value.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

Victory Lap posted:

Am I am absolute nit or is that just an easy fold on the flop? Maybe a raise if the button is likely to be betting a lot of hands he'll be willing to fold but calling is just gross. We have 3 people left to act behind, we'll be out of position for the rest of the hand, and on the occasions we make a straight it'll be very difficult to win a large pot. If we miss on the turn the plan is usually just check/fold right?

Villain's line is badass though, overbetting the pot on the turn and then 3bet shoving over a raise with the straight flush? So ballsy, no fear of missing value.

yeah all of those are great reasons to fold flop.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Live 1/2, 6-handed, haven't seen villain in anything significantly weird over a small sample size

UTG folds
MP folds
Hero (86bb) raises to 2bb with J:h:T:s:
BTN folds
SB folds
BB (46bb) calls

FLOP (4.5bb): T:d:8:h:2:s:
Villain checks
Hero bets 2.5bb
Villain calls 2.5bb

TURN (9.5bb): 8:s:
Villain checks
Hero checks

RIVER (9.5bb): 8:c:
Villain checks
Hero bets 12.5bb

--------------

Turn - is checking our best option, or are we missing out value here?
Beats us: AT KT QT A8 T8s 98 87 22... maybe like K8s? J8s? 86s?
We beat that gives us value: T9, maybe J9 97 will chase, maybe mid pocket pairs / A2...?

River - is this a proper place to overbet? I think mid PP's will call a pot/slightly over pot-sized bet ~as often as betting less. Possibly A2 as well.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 20, 2013

AmnesiaLab
Nov 9, 2004

Stark raving sane.
I'm fine with checking behind the turn. There's not much you're getting value from here, but you can coax a few river calls with a check.

Do you have any indication that he's likely to call an overbet light at the river? I think generally this is a decent move in this spot-- after the turn checks through and he checks the river to you, he never has an 8 in his range, so it's worth a shot-- but it depends very much on the player. If he seems risk-averse, I'd keep it smaller. If he seems more willing to gamble, bombs away. Without a read, I'd probably make it closer to a PSB.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Maha posted:

Thanks, guys. More info for the people who asked for it:

On the ~1300 hands I have on UTG he's 23/19, 1.9 AF, cbet/fold to cbet 57/34 and he's done tricky stuff against me in the past:
- c/r'd my cbet on QQ4ss and folded to a 3b
- 3b-shoved over a raise on a T-high board with a Kx FD
- on a 4bet bvb pot, I cbet a 732r flop and he shoved with AQ

I only have 240 hands on BB, but he was 21/17, 2.3 AF, cbet/f 71/43 and I had an old note that said "sees me as bluffy", which probably meant he started snapping me off at some point.

I don't really like any of our options here. I guess I hate calling turn the least but what do we do then when BB jams? Also utg doesn't cbet tons so AK+/air is pretty much his range.

Maybe fold. Its a lovely spot.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AmnesiaLab posted:

I'm fine with checking behind the turn. There's not much you're getting value from here, but you can coax a few river calls with a check.

Do you have any indication that he's likely to call an overbet light at the river? I think generally this is a decent move in this spot-- after the turn checks through and he checks the river to you, he never has an 8 in his range, so it's worth a shot-- but it depends very much on the player. If he seems risk-averse, I'd keep it smaller. If he seems more willing to gamble, bombs away. Without a read, I'd probably make it closer to a PSB.
Cool, thanks. I guess we might look a lot like an 8 here. PSB might increase call% enough to make overbetting bad. Not sure.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Two hands from this weekend, one from a MTT and one from cash.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hand #1: $550 MTT at our local card room. We are still far from the money with about half of the field eliminated.

Villain is a very good tournament player who won two events at the WPT series in Florida a few months ago. He plays a very loose smallball game and I haven't really seen him make any mistakes thus far. He probably views me as competent but not spectacular.

Blinds are 500/1000/100. I have about 50000, Villain has me covered with about 80000.

I have K:c:Q:c: in EP and raise to 2200. Villain asks to see how many chips I have, then calls on the button, BB calls.

Flop: K64r (Pot: 8100). BB checks, I bet 3800. Villain calls, BB folds.

Turn: 6, rainbow board (Pot: 15700). I check, Villain bets 6500. I call.

River: 2 (Pot: 28700). I check, Villain bets 15000, I...?

I really felt like he was never bluffing on this river. I beat KJ, maybe KTs and K9s, busted straight draws. I lose to AK, KK, AA, all of which he flats pre close to 100% of the time, any 6 (which he certainly has in his range), 44, 53s (might be able to discount this a bit). I think my hand looks like 77-QQ, or maybe like KJs or KQ. He could be thin value betting with a weaker king here some percentage of the time but I think he would have bet river smaller if that was the case.

My plan was to c/c turn, and then bet river if the turn checked through, and check/decide river if he bet turn. Should I have just b/f turn as well?

--------------------------------------------
Hand #2: Live $2/$5 NLHE. I have $1200 and Villain is a good regular who covers me. He plays a loose aggressive game and is capable of reading hands well.

Villain raises to $20. 2 callers. I have K:s:K:c: in the SB and raise to $115. Villain calls, the other two fold.

Flop: 6:d:3:s:2:c: (Pot: $270). I bet $135. Villain calls.

Turn: 4:c: (Pot: $540). I bet $250. Villain calls.

River: T:c: (Pot: $940). I tank then jam my last $700.

I felt like he could have every pocket pair in his range preflop, along with suited connectors and suited aces and the like. I think the flop c-bet is standard and I never really expected to get raised on this dry of a board, especially with him in position. I thought about c/cing the turn but I thought another bet would look bluffier on what might be perceived to be a scare card, trying to get value out of single pair hands. Same logic on the river when I decide to shove. I'm never folding the river and I think every hand I beat checks behind and I don't think he has any bluffs in his range at this point, so I may as well try to get look up by like 99.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

River: T:c: (Pot: $940). I tank then jam my last $700.

I felt like he could have every pocket pair in his range preflop, along with suited connectors and suited aces and the like. I think the flop c-bet is standard and I never really expected to get raised on this dry of a board, especially with him in position. I thought about c/cing the turn but I thought another bet would look bluffier on what might be perceived to be a scare card, trying to get value out of single pair hands. Same logic on the river when I decide to shove. I'm never folding the river and I think every hand I beat checks behind and I don't think he has any bluffs in his range at this point, so I may as well try to get look up by like 99.

Why exactly arent you ever folding on the river if you think every worse hand will ch behind and he will never bluff? Seems like a ch/f unless you really think hes snapping you off with 67s and everything above it. also I would ch/c turn and prob river and maybe check flop. it's pretty hard for him to hit this board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I shouldn't say I'm never folding river. What I meant to say is that I think there are more hands that I beat that will call a river bet than there are hands that will bet if checked to. If I did decide to check river, I would probably have folded to a bet.

I also don't think he is floating flop because if he was, then I think he would have tried to bluff the turn.

Basically I'm targeting the one-pair hands from his range. I don't think he ever bets a one pair hand on the river if checked to, but he is capable of calling a river bet if he suspects I'm bluffing > ~30% of the time. I didn't mention it in my description but Villain and I have played a lot together and know a lot about each other's game.

• Locked thread