Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Buzkashi posted:

I wish I had gotten to see this, somebody commented in the Last of Us thread that he watched somebody playing duck into a bathroom to hide only to have the floor texture disappear and then turn white just before Ellie went "Oh, gently caress."

I can picture the timing in my head and it's hilarious.

That should be a feature. When the game detects a bug that should happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I cannot wait for the PS4's DVR style constant recording (up to the previous 15 minutes of gameplay) and the flood of content into this thread (I hope).

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

HOW COULD YOU posted:

That should be a feature. When the game detects a bug that should happen

This would work so well for the Elder Scrolls games. Any time the terrain suddenly disappears or one of the other myriad glitches that can ruin your game pop up the NPCs just flip out like

"The gods have forsaken us!" :gonk:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Rare Collectable posted:

This would work so well for the Elder Scrolls games. Any time the terrain suddenly disappears or one of the other myriad glitches that can ruin your game pop up the NPCs just flip out like

"The gods have forsaken us!" :gonk:

NPCs "reacting" to glitches or otherwise playing along is always worth a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

HellCopter posted:

NPCs "reacting" to glitches or otherwise playing along is always worth a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSt1ptsOjL0

Edit: Yeah I hosed that link up like four times, deal.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYYuyDcyL5c

I must have slaughtered thousands

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Tried to catch up on Psychonauts today.

It's somehow fitting.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's somehow fitting.

You know, if that happened on my first playthrough I probably would have assumed that it was part of the game.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's somehow fitting.

I had a pretty neat bug in psychonauts once, ages ago.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Meis posted:

Only I have the brains to rule Lylat!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
From The Last of Us, Ellie is not good at riding horses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cztyOSlzpk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meis posted:

No wonder Lili wanted to kiss him :love:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Brother Jonathan posted:

From The Last of Us, Ellie is not good at riding horses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cztyOSlzpk

DRR DRR DRR

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm working on a hobby game and just realized how much of an influence dwarf fortress has had on my subconscious even though I've never played it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not sure why, but once while I was playing Skyrim, I ran into a fortress full of mages who killed me, causing my corpse to flail wildly out of the world. This subsequently happened to me with all deaths for a while afterwards.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Meanwhile in Crucible

Gravity has decided to stop giving a gently caress.

In other news, I accidentally sat on a stool that I found on the roof tops, causing the scroll I was trying to read to fly wildly into the air. Afterwards, I noticed something was a bit off about my character...

Yes, I play in low-quality. Don't judge me. :saddowns:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
I'm convinced that Skate 2 actually IS just one big glitch.

Here's one that I got a while back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnWDBG1PFw

Here it is in slow motion and from a different angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUXDF-lMR2s

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Vinny does another game corruption, this time it's Conker's Bad Fur Day. And holy hell this game goes insane.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

While not ha-ha funny this amuses the hell out of me: Catching Mew in red/blue

Everyone who was in school and played this game when it came out had the same experience. Everyone had a theory about how to get Mew, but nobody had him himself. There were crazy theories, a lot of them involved the SS Anne, but around my playground it was a bunch of stupid poo poo like doing laps and catching missingno(don't catch missingno)

Turns out, the actual way to do it was probably weirder than whatever you heard, and it actually works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkF7Xjxn9jc

The math/programming reason behind it is just as strange as the method, but it's more fun left to mystery. The fact that the legitimate method is weirder than the theories I heard is funny to me, especially considering how I dismissed a lot of my childhood theories for being too weird.

Vincent Valentine has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Jul 19, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Vincent Valentine posted:

Everyone who was in school and played this game when it came out had the same experience. Everyone had a theory about how to get Mew, but nobody had him himself. There were crazy theories, a lot of them involved the SS Anne, but around my playground it was a bunch of stupid poo poo like doing laps and catching missingno(don't catch missingno)

Turns out, the actual way to do it was probably weirder than whatever you heard, and it actually works:

The math/programming reason behind it is just as strange as the method, but it's more fun left to mystery. The fact that the legitimate method is weirder than the theories I heard is funny to me, especially considering how I dismissed a lot of my childhood theories for being too weird.

Are you talking about the "go around the TV in your bedroom" theory? Oh man, I'm so old.
I remember getting a game-shark and trying to push that random truck near the SS Anne.
Never heard the one about Missingo though, it is safe to catch him if you give him a rare-candy if I remember correctly (as he'll turn into Kangaskhan(?))

I actually managed to do this glitch like two years ago when I picked up the old Gameboy game. I used a guide though.
I have no idea how people randomly bump into these things.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

scarycave posted:

I have no idea how people randomly bump into these things.

My quess is that they don't. Someone reverse engineers the game source code from data dump and with that data designs the neccessary steps to force the condition within the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, this Mew strategy was found by a guy creating a Tool Assisted Speedrun, meaning he used the emulator's save states, rewind, and debugger features to try and trick the game into giving him Mew.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Knowing that game, that's hard to tell if it's a glitch or intentional.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vincent Valentine posted:

I always caught missing no. Level 200 for one match was pretty sick.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

That glitch was pretty funny, because it allowed you to catch Pokemon outside the usual 151. Of course, each and every one of those was a broken abomination like Missingno. But there was entertainment to be had from a Pokemon with a mind-shattering cry lasting more than ten seconds.

I believe it all depends on the trainer whose spotting animation you interrupt by calling the start menu... I remember that there were some other trainers that caused Mew to appear as well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not particularly a funny glitch, but Gran Turismo 2's European version had a glitch where you could get 101% completion. To get 100%, one requirement was to collect every car in the game, Vauxhall being one of the manufacturers. Now, the UK, Vauxhall is basically the same car as Opel, a German car. What I discovered was that if you changed the game's language from English to German, all Vauxhalls in the game would be replaced by Opels without you losing the Vauxhalls you owned. This allowed you to buy or win every Vauxhall car in the game, switch the language, and buy and win all the Opels in the game which made your completion percentage go above 100%.

I think my game's still sitting at 101.6% completion or something.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night had a glitch that let you go outside the bounds of the map to get over 200% completion (there were two castles), but even if you didn't use this glitch and filled in all the normally available map space, you still ended up with something like 200.3% at the end.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Jul 21, 2013

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There's an lp in the archive of Chorocojo thoroughly breaking Pokemon Blue in every way possible. It's a pretty fun read. He uses tools to speed up the process, but supposedly most of what he does can be reproduced with an undamaged copy of the game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know why but going over 100% completion is a pretty neat bug to me, mostly because of the kinds of game breaking it requires usually.

Also in Gran Turismo 3, if you had the Suzuki Escudo (by far the fastest car in the game), there was a certain track you could go to and accelerate on a straight towards a wall and sometimes go through it, which allowed you to go beyond the bounds of the track to an endless open area. If tuned in a certain way and with enough space, the Escudo could accelerate to absolutely insane speeds; just holding down the gas for a while caused it to effectively pop a wheelie and accelerate to over 1,000km/h. The speed record is still logged on my copy of GT3. :v:

E: Turns out someone beat my record and then some: this poor quality video shows a guy using the same car and same glitch to do 2147483647km/h which is the second highest number the PS2 can calculate and faster than the speed of light. :psyduck:

Stare-Out has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Jul 21, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

There's an lp in the archive of Chorocojo thoroughly breaking Pokemon Blue in every way possible. It's a pretty fun read. He uses tools to speed up the process, but supposedly most of what he does can be reproduced with an undamaged copy of the game.
Why are you attributing it to Chorocojo when it says it's by Metroixer right up at the top of the page you linked? :confused:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Stare-Out posted:

E: Turns out someone beat my record and then some: this poor quality video shows a guy using the same car and same glitch to do 2147483647km/h which is the second highest number the PS2 can calculate and faster than the speed of light. :psyduck:

That number is 231-1, which is the largest number that can be stored in a signed 32-bit integer variable. Looking at that video, the number displayed seems to be accelerating faster and faster really quickly in the last couple frames before it gets stuck on that, so there's probably an actual blowup of the relevant floating point variables there and it's the result of those getting clamped to the maximum integer value rather than just some "error, these numbers can't be right" value that somebody didn't bother handling.

I think what causes this is probably the way the displayed speed is calculated, rather than anything directly to do with the motion of the car itself. The way it seems to happen when the car is tilting back suggests that, for some reason, what they do is take the horizontal components of the car's velocity, assume both the front and back of the car are on the ground, and use the angle of the car to work out how fast it'd have to be going vertically to be going up a hill that steep (instead of just using the vertical component of the car's velocity from the physics code). Obviously if the car is tilted back almost vertically, that's going to result in some huge numbers.

Might be completely wrong about that, of course, but I find it fun to try to figure these things out.

Hamiltonian Bicycle has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jul 21, 2013

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

A game that's basically one big glitch.

May look vaguely playable at first, but wait for when they go into reverse.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Pew! Pew! posted:

A game that's basically one big glitch.

May look vaguely playable at first, but wait for when they go into reverse.

I don't know if its awesome or sad that I knew exactly which game it was based on "wait for when they go into reverse".

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA3vijm17Bs

Motdef, a guy who has a remarkable ability to break almost any game he plays, is given Road To Hell: Retribution, the worst-reviewed game of this generation.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Zereth posted:

Why are you attributing it to Chorocojo when it says it's by Metroixer right up at the top of the page you linked? :confused:

Because I'm an idiot and am getting LPs confused.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

miscellaneous14 posted:

Vinny does another game corruption, this time it's Conker's Bad Fur Day. And holy hell this game goes insane.
Oh man, his corruption series is horrifying yet hilarious.
It inspired me to corrupt a game myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4-flQfKRYk

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
In Skyrim if you were to put a bucket or any other kind of container over someone's head it actually breaks line of sight with you. This means you could steal items directly in front of someone and nobody would notice as long as the bucket remained in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYwjy-Q5eE

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GeckoMissingo posted:

In Skyrim if you were to put a bucket or any other kind of container over someone's head it actually breaks line of sight with you. This means you could steal items directly in front of someone and nobody would notice as long as the bucket remained in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYwjy-Q5eE

I think it's really cool that they programmed something like that in, and hilarious that they did not anticipate the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I believe they kept it in after it was found because it was funny.