Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

As I'm hearing the story, it was in a garage where the Porsche Factory cars were based in Sandown, Australia and the owner of the place didn't want to take the effort of taking a hauler and hauling the cars a few miles to the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BoostCreep posted:

Evo 3 next to two Evo 10s. It's been lowered, but it just looks so tiny!

Pretty sure I'd drown a dozen babies for one of these.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BMB5150 posted:

As I'm hearing the story, it was in a garage where the Porsche Factory cars were based in Sandown, Australia and the owner of the place didn't want to take the effort of taking a hauler and hauling the cars a few miles to the track.

That's pretty awesome.

I know Peter Brock used to like breaking in his race cars by going up and down the Melba Hwy. Alan Jones (ex-F1) owned a pub in that area and he'd stop off there.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Pretty sure I'd drown a dozen babies for one of these.

If you are insane enough you can build your own out of a old mirage and import a cut up front/back clip from japan.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

Holy gently caress the Bandit Run is in town today! Gonna be a short work day!

Holy poo poo that 18-wheeler is a real, still existing thing? Awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

G-Mach posted:

If you are insane enough you can build your own out of a old mirage and import a cut up front/back clip from japan.

I've changed my mind, I want this instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BoostCreep posted:

Evo 3 next to two Evo 10s. It's been lowered, but it just looks so tiny!

I like the Evo, but for the love of god, if you're going to put your name on a photo at least make sure the drat thing has a level horizon and your subject is centered if that's what you're going for.

I'm not saying you took the photo, I'm saying in general. Ahhhh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because that photo was taken at Singer's shop, the guys known for putting out jawdroppingly-gorgeous early 911s.

I'm not usually an unf unf change my shorts guy when it comes to cars but that is an unbelievably pretty car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

I've changed my mind, I want this instead.

How is this not your custom title yet? :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cakefool posted:

How is this not your custom title yet? :v:

I was about to say "we can make this happen".

But his new one makes me laugh far more. Who's been handing out the titles this time?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I was cruising along in my Focus ST with my girl (MY GIRLFRIEND) when I spotted this. The most beautiful SHO I've ever seen. Lowered a bit, wonderful exhaust note, showroom clean, "FOR-SHO" license plate, had to have some go fast bits as it was fairly speedy. I started drooling, flashed the driver a thumbs up on a job well done and missed my exit.

Girlfriend: "I don't like the front, its just like a Taurus!"

Some people just don't understand my lust for strange performance Fords.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

I was about to say "we can make this happen".

But his new one makes me laugh far more. Who's been handing out the titles this time?

My theory I posted elsewhere is somebody is jealous of my job or something. That or my huge dick.

Edit: We saw this on Thursday night

I tried to get alongside him and he just blasted away, I had no hope of catching up. It was ungodly fast.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 20, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Turns out that plate is a lie...

LS7 :whatup:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

neckbeard posted:

Turns out that plate is a lie...

LS7 :whatup:

God those trucks are so loving cool. I wanted one so bad when I turned 16. It's probably good I didn't get one because I probably would have killed myself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
First time I've seen one of these in the wild:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phy posted:

drat.

drat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I should really just start taking cellphone pics walking down the street to the shops. Though most of the ones here have really badly faded white enkeis that the owner never cleans, and bumpers that are falling off from all the casually-rammed kerbs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They just became eligible for import to Canada recently, so seeing them in Alberta is still kind of a new thing. Can't say I'd park one I owned at Superstore though.

I spent a lot of time looking at auction sites last week for (at first) an Austin Mini, a Suzuki Cappuccino (tons) and a Honda City turbo (of which there were none).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 21, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They just became eligible for import to Canada recently, so seeing them in Alberta is still kind of a new thing. Can't say I'd park one I owned at Superstore though.

I spent a lot of time looking at auction sites last week for (at first) an Austin Mini, a Suzuki Cappuccino (tons) and a Honda City turbo (of which there were none).

I was just thinking about this today actually: I haven't seen a suzi cappuccino for years even though they used to be all over the place. I started thinking about this because coming home today I saw a bloody chrysler crossfire. When they came out a few years ago, they were everywhere, and now it's an immense novelty seeing one at all. And when I think about all the cars that used to be commonplace around here, I can't recall when the last time I saw even a lovely old molested one was.

Like pulsar GTi-R, familia GTX, galant VR-4, basically any commodore or falcon from the 80's, mitsubishi starion, celica GT-four, prelude SiR, the list goes on and on in my mind. Where did they all go?? Some of them aren't even that old.

How is it that 80's subaru legacies are still clogging the streets?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of rare cars, I think this might be fake. Either way it was interesting enough that I was distracted to the point of forgetting half the things I rode to the store for.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Das Volk posted:

Speaking of rare cars, I think this might be fake. Either way it was interesting enough that I was distracted to the point of forgetting half the things I rode to the store for.

Yeah that's definitely fake, the dash in the z8 had a central gauge pod. Those things have held onto their value to a ridiculous extent.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, it's an E85 Z4 dressed up to look like a Z8. I have to say, it's a pretty good replica.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Yeah that's definitely fake, the dash in the z8 had a central gauge pod. Those things have held onto their value to a ridiculous extent.

That's funny, because nobody wanted the Z8 when it came out. Guess it just adds to how collectable it is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

Yeah, SL600s from the same time can be had for less than £20k, Aston DB7 V12 vantages from just over £20k. Ferrari 456s from £30k, and 550s from £60k.
Z8s? Still well north of £100k.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
They make fake z8s?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
That's the second most wtf thing I've read in AI this morning.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Saw the most awesome van-thing while camping over the weekend. Unfortunately only one angle.

And this Lambo Espada the other week

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I always wanted to graft an Espada nose onto a 71ish Mustang.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's the only good looking part of the Espada.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Phy posted:

The saddest thing about the Evo 4s is that they crankwalk. :smith:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

falz posted:

Saw the most awesome van-thing while camping over the weekend. Unfortunately only one angle.

That looks like a sports mobile. They are pretty awesome -- http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrEnigma posted:

That looks like a sports mobile. They are pretty awesome -- http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

With bullshit bro wheels so you know it never gets actually used. :(

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Indeed that's it, the same one is pictured here.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Laranzu posted:

I was cruising along in my Focus ST with my girl (MY GIRLFRIEND) when I spotted this. The most beautiful SHO I've ever seen. Lowered a bit, wonderful exhaust note, showroom clean, "FOR-SHO" license plate, had to have some go fast bits as it was fairly speedy. I started drooling, flashed the driver a thumbs up on a job well done and missed my exit.

Girlfriend: "I don't like the front, its just like a Taurus!"

Some people just don't understand my lust for strange performance Fords.

I've said it before, but the 90s SHO and SVT stuff had some really good sounding stock exhausts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2U5xVU1Mgs

If I could find a clean SVT contour I would daily drive it for sure.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrEnigma posted:

Is that.....a Camel? In what appears to be the southwest US?

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
I got the chance to see these being made earlier this year:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I went to the Mobil 1 Sportscar Grand Prix at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) this weekend and got a few terrible (I was drunk, deal with it) pictures and some video:

Click this for hot hot LMP and GT downshifting into a nasty, nasty corner (make sure your sound is turned up)

http://youtu.be/gKelJrS8L9w

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

DoesNotCompute posted:

Tell me about it. One sold at the Mecum auction back in January in Kissimmee for $100,000. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0113-142465&entryRow=2494

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

1971 Chevy Monte Carlo, bone stock with a numbers matching 350 small block. Just finishing up a complete suspension overhaul.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Root Bear posted:

1971 Chevy Monte Carlo, bone stock with a numbers matching 350 small block. Just finishing up a complete suspension overhaul.

Honest question: how slow is it? With the whole horsepower ratings change and smog and the various conflicting pieces of information surrounding cars of that era, I'd love to know what an actual factory specced muscle car drives like. It's great if you have a mustang/Camaro/challenger/vette with a hot cam and a big carb and so on, but that doesn't really give an accurate idea of what they were really like. My guess: terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Rough numbers: 200 RWHP, curb weight 3600 lbs., 0-60mph in 9.5-10 seconds.

Just for context, the Monte Carlo was a large "luxury coupe", and the 350 V8 was the base, non-performance engine. In its time, this was a completely unremarkable car; it just happens to be an unmolested refugee of the American muscle car era, regardless of whether it's an actual "muscle car".