Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

The 12-35 is very sexy but way over my budget for a "starter" lens IMHO.

The 14-45 looks okay but the aperture is actually a bit worse? 3.5 at 14 instead of at 12. Also yeah 5.6 but at 45, not 50. I'll need to look up what the oly does at 45.
So is the panny really better?

In any case the om-d has IBIS so I don't need OIS, seems a bit of a waste.

I was also looking at the oly 45/1.8, great lens but is it practical for walking around photography?

As for other lenses: I want to at least get the parted out panny 14 from eBay just because it's cheap. Then later the 20/1.7 (gotta love them fast primes)

Well that's assuming you want a zoom, otherwise just stick to primes. I bought my OMD with just a 25/1.4 and that's pretty much the lens on my OMD 99% of the time. The 1% is the 60/2.8 macro which is mainly for macro and added reach if needed.

If you want a walkaround lens, you can't go wrong with either the 17/1.8 or 20/1.7. Just note that there have been reported issues of banding with the 20/1.7 so hopefully the mk II version coming out soon fixes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I swear to god if they shoehorn the lovely NEX "baby's first camera" UI into a $3000 camera without giving people the option to turn it off and use normal controls..........

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why they put that interface in the nex stuff when the rx100 has a normal and actually very nice menu system. Surely if it makes sense in a point and shoot it'd be worth putting on more capable ilc bodies.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Can you not still put all the basic functions on custom buttons and like a half dozen more on the custom menu?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spankmeister posted:

As for other lenses: I want to at least get the parted out panny 14 from eBay just because it's cheap. Then later the 20/1.7 (gotta love them fast primes)

It's a shame that the 14mm is so cheap as it makes the 20mm feel like it is expensive -when the reality is that my EF-S lenses cost so much more and I didn't really hesitate with them.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Anyone still looking for an EF M adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11110934842...fepn=5337259887

Just accepted an offer of $90. They sold over 100~ of them and they appear to be legit OEM ones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beastruction posted:

Can you not still put all the basic functions on custom buttons and like a half dozen more on the custom menu?

I kind of exaggerate how bad it is, because I've got most of the controls within one or two keypresses on my 5N. It's stuff like a man in front of a mountain to indicate opening the aperture and a man in front of a grayed out mountain to indicated closing the aperture. If I'm looking at my screen I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress that means without having to think about it. If it just said +/- f-stop or something I wouldn't have to hunt for what mode my jog dial is in if I dig it out of my bag.

It's like 1001 little things that make it frustrating to look at and use.

I can't argue that maybe it's better for beginner shooters, and I don't begrudge anyone wanting pictures to illustrate functions, but at least give us some kind of "semi pro" mode that isn't pictorial.

NEX is a fantastic camera with a literal point and shoot menu system.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Martytoof posted:

I kind of exaggerate how bad it is, because I've got most of the controls within one or two keypresses on my 5N. It's stuff like a man in front of a mountain to indicate opening the aperture and a man in front of a grayed out mountain to indicated closing the aperture. If I'm looking at my screen I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress that means without having to think about it. If it just said +/- f-stop or something I wouldn't have to hunt for what mode my jog dial is in if I dig it out of my bag.

It's like 1001 little things that make it frustrating to look at and use.

I can't argue that maybe it's better for beginner shooters, and I don't begrudge anyone wanting pictures to illustrate functions, but at least give us some kind of "semi pro" mode that isn't pictorial.

NEX is a fantastic camera with a literal point and shoot menu system.

I'm pretty sure the -c3 shipped with one of the function keys on the back set to the help menu by default.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm, Olympus has a kit with the OM-D, Battery grip, 2 batteries and the 12-50 for €1350

Now if I go body-only and get the accessories separately, the price sans lens is 1190.

So the 12-50 would cost me €160 extra. Meh lens or not, that can't be a bad deal.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Hmm, Olympus has a kit with the OM-D, Battery grip, 2 batteries and the 12-50 for €1350

Now if I go body-only and get the accessories separately, the price sans lens is 1190.

So the 12-50 would cost me €160 extra. Meh lens or not, that can't be a bad deal.

Depends on how often you expect to use the 12-50, otherwise that 160 can go towards another lens.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I'd get it just for the decent macro mode.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It is a really flexible lens. It's just not super good at any task.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

It is a really flexible lens. It's just not super good at any task.

Echoes of so many performance reviews in my past :q:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

If you're looking for a used X100, I just listed mine in the BST thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=154#post417601570

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Finally getting to try a C-Biogon 35mm ZM lens I've had adapted to my X-Pro1 on an M9. Holy crap - the combination has really nice contrast and colour pop. The M9 seems pretty limited when you compare it against something like the X-Pro1, but man, the colour out of that camera...

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

krooj posted:

Finally getting to try a C-Biogon 35mm ZM lens I've had adapted to my X-Pro1 on an M9. Holy crap - the combination has really nice contrast and colour pop. The M9 seems pretty limited when you compare it against something like the X-Pro1, but man, the colour out of that camera...

I love my c-biogon 2.8 on my nex, but am considering selling it (along with all my NEX gear and adapted lenses, and my Bessa R2A) to fund a fuji switch.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mr. Despair posted:

I too think that canon will continue to make poor decisions until Ricoh/Pentax replace them as the number 2 camera company in the world.

We were all wrong. Hasselblad knocks it out of the park. http://thenewcamera.com/hasselblad-stellar-rx100-camera-will-cost-you-2k-to-3k/

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

quote:

cost you from $1600 to $3200 (cost depend upon the type of grip material used)

I can't help but read that as "the grip could cost up to $1600".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For people who have the EOS M + pancake combo, I got this 43mm 3 stop Polaroid neutral density filter for $1! from Amazon. Free shipping.

I got it today and it seem to work fine. You have to set custom white balance but thats it.

One dallaz.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

For people who have the EOS M + pancake combo, I got this 43mm 3 stop Polaroid neutral density filter for $1! from Amazon. Free shipping.

I got it today and it seem to work fine. You have to set custom white balance but thats it.

One dallaz.

Ive had good luck with that brand too for my ND and VariND needs. Shockingly cheap and good. The 8stop-vari has little color issue, and can be fixed by the XE1's jpg engine.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I love my c-biogon 2.8 on my nex, but am considering selling it (along with all my NEX gear and adapted lenses, and my Bessa R2A) to fund a fuji switch.

Do you find the focusing stiff at all once you reach infinity or 0.7m? I bought my copy used, and I've read that these Zeiss lenses eventually loosen up with use, but I'm thinking if it doesn't I should have it serviced. It also has minor, minor internal dust.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

One dallaz.

Thanks bro. Just bought one

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well I've got to say, the high ISO performance of the RX1 is simply astounding.

This is a shot taken at ISO 25600, with some NR applied in LR5:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

alkanphel posted:

Well I've got to say, the high ISO performance of the RX1 is simply astounding.

I agree. When I shoot with it I pretty much think about the aperture and shutter speed I want and whatever ISO works with that is fine.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That's gotta be freeing. I feel safe going up to 1600 with my X-E1, where with my Canon T2i I was afraid of going over 400. Shooting clouds is a lot more sensitive than shooting almost anything else, unfortunately.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

When I started picking up photography I was using a Nikon D70 which came out in 2003 with a max ISO setting of 1600; I was blown away when ISO 3200 was usable when I got an X100. Not only that but double the megapixels. :monocle:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I regularly shoot at 6400 and 12800 with my NEX 5N. I can't even imagine going back to my 40D that maxed out at 3200 and was pretty marginal at that speed. I hope the ISO wars never end.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

HPL posted:

I regularly shoot at 6400 and 12800 with my NEX 5N. I can't even imagine going back to my 40D that maxed out at 3200 and was pretty marginal at that speed. I hope the ISO wars never end.

Ha I well.remember my 40d, 3200.was quite horrible. Now I have no worries shooting 6400 on my Fuji.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

I agree. When I shoot with it I pretty much think about the aperture and shutter speed I want and whatever ISO works with that is fine.

Yeah, the good ISO performance of most modern cameras makes auto-ISO so much more feasible now that I almost never set the ISO anymore.

HPL posted:

Haha I started photography on a 40D and I didn't even dare to go above ISO 800 with it. And back then, NR in LR wasn't as magical as it is now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

The first time I shot 3200 on my 5N I had to go back and make sure I hadn't accidentally set it to 800 or something. This was coming from a D200, so I was blown away with how well the camera handles 3200 and 6400.

It doesn't hurt that I actually prefer a little grain in my photos, so some slight high ISO noise makes me feel better about most images. But between the 5N's high ISO and Lightroom's NR I don't really have to worry about getting too much noise to be usable at anything but the most extreme settings. Stopping my old Industar down to f/4 to get a little sharper in low light is absolutely a thing I don't fret over now :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 22, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I remember when the D3 first came out how revolutionary it was for high ISO but now even budget APS-C cameras are starting to crowd up that space.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Budget non-Canon APS-C cameras, but yeah. :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

Budget non-Canon APS-C cameras, but yeah. :(

Would be good if they put that new dual pixel tech into the next iteration of their EOS-M cameras but I guess they're too scared of cannibalising their own DSLR lines. Personally I think they should just drop the xxxD and xxxxD lines and replace them with the EOS-M and similar variants.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
The new firmware for the X-Pro 1 and X-E 1 is out.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#firmware for the body

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#lens_firmware for the lenses

From my 5 minute tests the lenses (14,35,60) seemed to do a better job of focusing in lower light. Not faster but they seemed to not "give up" as fast- they seem to judder a bit as they zero in at the end. In better light they are noticeably faster and accurate. The XF60 is a lot better lens than it was yesterday. It also seems like they did something to the 60 in macro mode, I remember it being a real pig but it's pretty fast now.

Focus peaking is enabled full-time when you switch to manual and works in the EVF and is demonstrably useful. There are some new settings in Menu 5 for the upcoming XC lenses and a new MF Assist menu where you can turn off Peaking or switch it between Low/High (default is High). No AutoISO limit but they've talked about another update to add in selectable Peaking colors so who knows.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Just in time on that firmware. I'm sitting here trying to keep awake so I can sleep through an overseas flight, luckily my X-Pro and lenses are in a carry-on.

I was never big on brand loyalty or fanboyism. My first DSLR was the original Canon Rebel, and I stuck with Canon through various updates strictly because I had Canon lenses. Some friends who shoot Nikon would try to start flamewars with me but I never felt like I owed Canon any loyalty, they never even sent me a birthday card, only expected me to buy a slightly improved model every year.

The X-100 was my first Fujifilm camera and I loved it and I loved how they kept improving it even after the big hype when it came out. I got the X-pro 1 at launch for that very reason and here they are, well over a year later, giving me massive improvements to a camera that I already love. They could easily have waited and launched the X-Pro 2 with all the upgrades that are in firmware 1.01 to 3.00, but instead they made something I already paid for better for free. I do feel brand loyalty to Fujifilm now and I will make a pilgrimage to their Tokyo HQ in a couple of days to fondle the XM-1.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

No AutoISO limit but they've talked about another update to add in selectable Peaking colors so who knows.

I think it was Fujirumors.com that recently reported that Fuji is aware that customers really want this and they are working on it, but no promises, or something along those lines. I honestly never thought we'd see focus peaking, so who knows what they do.

I find myself starting to turn into a bit of a Fuji fan boy as well. They'll break my heart someday, but for now, I'm pretty happy.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Helicity posted:

I think it was Fujirumors.com that recently reported that Fuji is aware that customers really want this and they are working on it, but no promises, or something along those lines. I honestly never thought we'd see focus peaking, so who knows what they do.

I find myself starting to turn into a bit of a Fuji fan boy as well. They'll break my heart someday, but for now, I'm pretty happy.

I may be spoiled by having been exposed to the concept since the beginning with the NEX, but I think the whole concept should be improved ASAP by doing something like context-sensitive color. I mean, the image is already displayed on an LCD, the camera computer surely must know that (say) white on white is not going to stand out.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow, the XE1 with the zoom now AF faster than EOS M. Noticeably faster too. I got to try it out tonight.

Now we just need a few minor upgrades for the next firmware:

Able to set slowest shutter speed; let me set left and right arrow keys as Fn keys; also allow to change the custom setting names.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 23, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Helicity posted:

Please, someone tell them to add minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Malcolm XML posted:

Please, someone tell them to add minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO mode.

That's what they know customers really want, and they're working on, but no promises.