Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Remove the damage boost on XF alongside (maybe) the minimum scaling increasing to 30% across the board too- keep the speed boost and give it to those who don't have it. It keeps the cool parts of XF while removing the moronic part of killing teams in 20s or less.

Make it so TACs still follow hitstun scaling rather than unscaling so there's no giant reward for them beyond what's wagered and the character switch.

Change the assist system to be like Marvel 2 where you can't mash them on tech and if you hit the point character when they call the assist they come out and do their tag animation while vulnerable and then leave.

Rebalancing characters is rough but the basics are castrating Vergil and Zero and spaying Morrigan because they're all really retarded. Also remove Wolverine's glitched throw where he can call an assist beforehand and then it use afterwards alongside his instant overhead. Nerf the gently caress out of Dark Phoenix/remove her entirely and change how the mechanic works because without Vergil or Morrigan she's a huge problem. Remove hard KD from footdive, nerf hitstun on j.m (you have almost two full second to confirm off them), make it so plasma beam comes out in front as an assist and have missiles go away when you hit Doom. Maybe even the point character alongside that, depending on how that works out.

Uhh, other than that I'd say add 10-20f of recovery on all teleports that aren't like Akuma's because teleports are loving stupid and teleport mixups are loving stupid.
Also something about the damage I guess.

There's a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting but these are all like really obvious up front changes that would make the game waaaaaay less dumb. Those almost top tier characters or characters who aren't top because they have bad matchups with the current top tier are probably worth looking at too in some regard but I've got no idea how to change them since the picture of how the game would form drastically depends on how everyone else got nerfed/buffed.

Also I will never stop laughing at people who want to nerf Nova but at the same time want to leave Magneto or Doom alone.

edit: DO SOMETHING ABOUT VAJRA HOLY poo poo I ALMOST FORGOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

I don't really feel like "always kill your opponents first character if you so much as touch them" is healthy for the game.

Are you posting from 2011 or something because this hasn't been the major issue with xfactor since vanilla. You'll still see it of course but its more rare and generally used when it should: when your opponent's best char is on point and you need to get rid of them asap, like Morrigan or Zero, and you couldn't with just meter alone. The top tier chars can already touch of death without xfactor, some of them even from throws. Lvl 3 X-factor invalidating the first half of the game while Vergil tears through an entire team with absurd speed and damage is doing way more damage to the overall health of the game then spending extra resources to ensure the first char dies.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ixiggle posted:

Are you posting from 2011 or something because this hasn't been the major issue with xfactor since vanilla. You'll still see it of course but its more rare and generally used when it should: when your opponent's best char is on point and you need to get rid of them asap, like Morrigan or Zero, and you couldn't with just meter alone. The top tier chars can already touch of death without xfactor, some of them even from throws. Lvl 3 X-factor invalidating the first half of the game while Vergil tears through an entire team with absurd speed and damage is doing way more damage to the overall health of the game then spending extra resources to ensure the first char dies.

That's a flaw of Virgil and not xfactor in general. Meanwhile xfactor removes lots of decision making and gameplay options from the start of the game, but adds some interesting tension to the later parts of matches that wouldn't usually be there without it.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Balancing x-factor will do nothing about balancing UMvC3 since everybody gets x-factor (more or less) equally, I'm really surprised to see so many people under the impression that nerfing it would improve the game's balance.

Now things like round-trip glitch, meter build during astral vision, and Zero's ability to cancel every single one of his specials every three seconds are no brainers. Doom Missiles should probably go away on hit too.

I agree that furthering damage scaling would be a great way to removed TODs in an "equal opportunity" fashion and push 3 back towards what made 2 great - although it's a significant shift in the "tone" of the game. I don't think we can expect easy TODs to go away.

My main hope is for buffs to the under-utilized characters. Some characters like Iron Man and X-23 just have so little going for them in terms of abusable game mechanics - only the most dedicated players will put the time in on them, and usually to their own detriment.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Fereydun posted:

edit: DO SOMETHING ABOUT VAJRA HOLY poo poo I ALMOST FORGOT

There's already good tech for this, it's called "lighting up Strider."

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

NecroMonster posted:

I don't really feel like "always kill your opponents first character if you so much as touch them" is healthy for the game.

Most people can do this anyway, not a big deal.

Super Rad posted:

Balancing x-factor will do nothing about balancing UMvC3 since everybody gets x-factor (more or less) equally, I'm really surprised to see so many people under the impression that nerfing it would improve the game's balance.

Now things like round-trip glitch, meter build during astral vision, and Zero's ability to cancel every single one of his specials every three seconds are no brainers. Doom Missiles should probably go away on hit too.

I agree that furthering damage scaling would be a great way to removed TODs in an "equal opportunity" fashion and push 3 back towards what made 2 great - although it's a significant shift in the "tone" of the game. I don't think we can expect easy TODs to go away.

My main hope is for buffs to the under-utilized characters. Some characters like Iron Man and X-23 just have so little going for them in terms of abusable game mechanics - only the most dedicated players will put the time in on them, and usually to their own detriment.

I don't like getting rid of missiles if Doom gets hit because he's already out there for a long time to get sniped anyway. So now you are going to take away any reason to use it in the neutral game at all, and that hurts a bunch of characters not just Morrigan. You can already counter call hidden missiles fairly effectively with doom beam/disruptor/triple arrow/ whatever will hit him.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 21, 2013

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

That's a flaw of Virgil and not xfactor in general. Meanwhile xfactor removes lots of decision making and gameplay options from the start of the game, but adds some interesting tension to the later parts of matches that wouldn't usually be there without it.

People x-factoring on their first char is so far down the list of "problems" with Marvel's balance that it's not really even worth addressing.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Super Rad posted:

This is objectively false -- even if a game mechanic is shared equally with every character in the game, adjusting it can drastically change game balance. Universal mechanics can very much benefit some characters over others, and especially with x-factor which isn't even equal on paper. In particular, if you removed TACs and x-factor from the game entirely, Zero would probably get better relatively while characters like Wolverine, etc. would get worse.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

People x-factoring on their first char is so far down the list of "problems" with Marvel's balance that it's not really even worth addressing.

Yeah, but it is a comparatively easy problem to fix. TAC infinites shouldn't be too hard to kill either, while individual character balance (which needs work) is an order of magnitude harder to
deal with.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Some of the ridiculous hitboxes need to be addressed.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nodoze posted:

I don't like getting rid of missiles if Doom gets hit because he's already out there for a long time to get sniped anyway. So now you are going to take away any reason to use it in the neutral game at all, and that hurts a bunch of characters not just Morrigan. You can already counter call hidden missiles fairly effectively with doom beam/disruptor/triple arrow/ whatever will hit him.

I pretty much agree - except that despite being easy to stuff, if so much as one missile goes off Doom has served his purpose. The assist is clearly one of the very best in the game, and it's not as if Doom's beam or Molecular Shield aren't also top tier. There has got to be a way to make missiles less ridiculous.

Brett824 posted:

In particular, if you removed TACs and x-factor from the game entirely, Zero would probably get better relatively while characters like Wolverine, etc. would get worse.

This does not show that TACs or x-factor are unbalanced, in fact it just shows that Zero is unbalanced and that mechanics like x-factor and TACs actually even out the playing field by giving otherwise inferior characters access to that necessary burst damage.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Super Rad posted:

This does not show that TACs or x-factor are unbalanced, in fact it just shows that Zero is unbalanced and that mechanics like x-factor and TACs actually even out the playing field by giving otherwise inferior characters access to that necessary burst damage.

I didn't mean to imply that TACs or x-factor are or aren't imbalanced. I'm just saying universal mechanics can help or hurt balance in significant ways despite them being universal.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Super Rad posted:

I pretty much agree - except that despite being easy to stuff, if so much as one missile goes off Doom has served his purpose. The assist is clearly one of the very best in the game, and it's not as if Doom's beam or Molecular Shield aren't also top tier. There has got to be a way to make missiles less ridiculous.

How about just halving the number of missiles that get released so that it's easier to dodge? Hell, you could make it Hidden Missile and it would still be useful.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Super Rad posted:

Make it so hidden missiles assist can hit either player. :getin:

Nemdlin
Oct 12, 2012

It's easy when you know how.
Missiles launching toward the opponents position at the time you call the assist without the tracking would more or less serve the screen control purpose while being relatively much easier to dodge and not acting as a pseudo combo breaker, I think.

Not that he needs it but give me back Dorms vanilla flame carpet and/or flame carpet assist please, thanks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arrowsmith posted:

There's already good tech for this, it's called "lighting up Strider."

Try doing it against someone who is actually attacking you (since that's the purpose of the assist) and see what happens because man it sucks when you hit Strider and then suddenly the point character kills you for doing so. Honestly I'd just make it so he's actually vulnerable for the frames where he's like just standing there doing nothing before he kicks you because I've had him phase through so many things that it's made me question whether he actually has invincibility or not many times.

It's really stupid that the assist basically serves the same purpose as hidden missiles except slightly faster. "Oh I called Strider now I can do literally anything as long as the opponent isn't Morrigan Vergil or Zero"

Speaking of "phases through attacks like that poo poo ain't make no sense" make jam session vulnerable during the slide part of the animation because 9 frames of vulnerability is really really wack. Vajra and Jam Session are definitely the top contenders for "what just happened" when it comes to swinging at assists that are clearly there and having no effect.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Give everyone Vergils stand H hitbox. Also, 5 hit hyper armor.

Oh I'm sorry you guys. Hit Bubble. I'll leave now.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Fereydun posted:

Try doing it against someone who is actually attacking you (since that's the purpose of the assist) and see what happens because man it sucks when you hit Strider and then suddenly the point character kills you for doing so. Honestly I'd just make it so he's actually vulnerable for the frames where he's like just standing there doing nothing before he kicks you because I've had him phase through so many things that it's made me question whether he actually has invincibility or not many times.

If someone's calling it in the neutral game, you just need to punish it intelligently. I think Champ and ShadyK even made a video about it? Stuff like hitting it with H at superjump height with Magneto and then dash canceling, launching so you can jump cancel right away and be safe, etc. Learn to deal with Vajra better, it's a great assist but certainly one that's pretty vulnerable and pretty properly balanced right now.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5NCr7UX5zk this is the video I mentioned.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 21, 2013

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Just make this song play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyfWyG_b_Eg whenever Vergil turns on swords or activates X-Factor.

Also, if you saw Champ's matches vs. Marvelo when they were at the FGTV house you'd kinda understand why I find that video laughable because after the first set where Champ destroyed Marvelo for just calling Strider like a huge idiot, every time he tried to punish Strider Marvelo would just fly in and kill Magneto or Dormammu for hitting Strider with their supposedly "safe" punishes. The issue with that video is that it assumes that the other player isn't already taking action when the assist is called, and is instead just kinda sitting there with their thumb up their rear end instead of using it as a method to cover their attack or mixup. The most applicable punish in that video is the Magneto launcher, superjump H->magblast since that's relatively safe but it still ends up leading to a really bad situation positioning wise depending on what character is using the assist (Nova really destroyed him for doin' that).

edit: Trust me, I've got no problem wrecking Strider if the other person is just sitting there calling him like a moron and not really covering him but that's not really the issue I have with the assist. Taskmaster's got a relatively decent and easy punish against him if they're stupid enough to do that, especially at ranges where they're forced to block the super part of it (since Strider will die from it). He's basically "too easy" to cover - same as hidden missiles. Sure, if they're dumb and don't do anything it's easy to hit Doom out of it, but that's not really where the strength in the assist lies.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 21, 2013

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Fereydun posted:

Just make this song play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyfWyG_b_Eg whenever Vergil turns on swords or activates X-Factor.

Also, if you saw Champ's matches vs. Marvelo when they were at the FGTV house you'd kinda understand why I find that video laughable because after the first set where Champ destroyed Marvelo for just calling Strider like a huge idiot, every time he tried to punish Strider Marvelo would just fly in and kill Magneto or Dormammu for hitting Strider with their supposedly "safe" punishes. The issue with that video is that it assumes that the other player isn't already taking action when the assist is called, and is instead just kinda sitting there with their thumb up their rear end instead of using it as a method to cover their attack or mixup. The most applicable punish in that video is the Magneto launcher, superjump H->magblast since that's relatively safe but it still ends up leading to a really bad situation positioning wise depending on what character is using the assist (Nova really destroyed him for doin' that).

Well pretty importantly, Marvelo doesn't play "team scrub" proper, Nova on point changes that quite a bit and makes those specific things less applicable. But other than that, the video is basically "yomi layer 1" for Strider assist. The fact that you show you can punish easy stuff like raw teleport + Strider forces them to change their approach and consider approaching in safer ways or baiting out assist punishes. If you can force them to do that and think more, they become more manageable in other ways, have to consider Vajra more and you can try to adjust to what they're doing. As opposed to Doom missles where punishing the assist pretty much means countercalling it with a projectile, using meter for a punish or otherwise pre-empting it. It's not too powerful of an assist and it really benefits some characters way more than other. I don't think it's a "crutch" like missles and it doesn't glue some random teams together like missles can.

You say "do something about Vajra" but I don't know what you want from it. Strider is honestly a pretty mediocre-bad character who's limited to an xfactor anchor and a 3-bar gimmick, let him have a good assist. Good assists make the game interesting and I don't want to see many of them nerfed.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 21, 2013

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Nerfing this game's handful of usable assists is not the way to go about balancing, but then I don't think nerfing anything is the way to go about balancing anything, haha.

I don't want the broken and dumb Vergil tier to get beaten down to the Hsien-ko tier's level, I want everyone from Hsien-ko on up to be as broken and dumb as Vergil.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Even better, let's definitely buff everyone to Zero levels! Soon Hsien-Ko will be filling the screen with hitboxes and forcing you into the corner and making you eat an inescapable unblockable WOOOOO MARVEL

I wouldn't like outright destroy Vajra by removing hard KD or any actual functionality like that - simply increasing the vulnerability on startup is basically enough. It's not as problematic of an assist as Missiles is but it's really stupid in how little you have to think to use it due to how hard it is to actually 'bait' the assist before it gets going. I definitely agree that strong assists are a key point in Marvel being interesting, but assists that can be called with little risk and thought for high reward really bother me considering how high that reward can be. Jam Session is really my other example of this because of how absurdly simple it is to get away with calling that assist. I've seriously seen the situation multiple times of a player reaction Bionic Arming the assist when they see it come out, only to have it go through and hit Spencer and then have the point (Zero) kill their entire team off that. That ridiculous period of 'invulnerability' (that really isn't) doesn't really end up being a part of the functionality of the assist insomuch as promoting idiotic play that's effective because of that specific part.

I really don't know what I'd do with Strider as a whole though. He's a fantastic character gimped by his piss poor damage and the existence of effectively a better version of him (Zero) who is easier to play on every level. If he did damage he'd be incredibly irritating because his teleports are like astoundingly good alongside his footsies game actually being pretty dang good considering how his normals work in conjunction with his dash. He's definitely in one of those weird spots in terms of like how you'd make him not a boring gimmick since it'd depend heavily on system changes.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 21, 2013

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Vajra shouldn't be a hard knockdown I think that's pretty stupid.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Some of these suggestions are really dumb when they're considered together. Nerf "x" character's good buttons, nerf their specials, nerf their teleports, their xfactor damage and speed, their assists, and their TAC combos and infinites.

Now x character is completely wrecked into Hsien-Ko tier.

Does anyone seriously think Phoenix needs more nerfing? The only people still playing her are heavily reliant on TAC combos and infinites. Remove those and it makes things a whole lot harder for her. Yes, she changes the meta game, and your team's whole plan, but it's not like that's a bad thing. It's just another type of game plan like rush down, teleport mixups and zoning.

I have mixed feelings about TAC combos. The infinites can go, but I'm not sure about the combos. Cutting back on the characters that could do the good ones helps everyone else, but they are also some of the funnest combos in the game to pull off. It would be a shame if they went.

Same for hidden missiles nerfs. I'm okay with them dissapearing when someone gets hit, but don't do silly things like changing the amount or speed. Then we'd lose out on all of those really flashy combos where the missiles OTG across the screen and allows you to link it into an extension. That stuff is great.

I don't expect any sweeping changes from Capcom anyway. Assuming they do patch, they would play it safe. UMVC3 is still the most popular fighter right now, so I can't imagine they would do something like removing TACs, or severe xfactor, or teleport nerfs. Stuff like that wrecks the meta game it has going, and even if they acknowledge it needs some balancing, they aren't likely to do anything that rocks the boat.

And honestly I don't think they should. The game can use some changes, but the fewer changes they can make the better. I think most of the changes should be buffs to other characters. The only system change I like is the removal of TAC infinites.

As for Morrigan, I honestly think any nerfs but the astral vision meter building, will destroy her. However, if they do get rid of it, they should make it so that you keep astral vision when you tag out or use supers. Just like the other install supers.

Edit: Give Sentinel his health back!

itskage fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 21, 2013

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

If you don't think Morrigan needs nerfing you need to play this game more against Morrigan because hooo boy is she some poo poo.

Her fireballs are just the centerpiece for the bullshit masterpiece that is that character. Hooooly poo poo she's got some poo poo.
Thank god playing her actually takes like decent execution to do unlike Vergil.

Random fun fact: in the corner and at close spacing you can't pushblock her. at all. All it does it put you in more blockstun while she continually puts you in magneto level mixups without the necessity of drones.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Yes you can, you can delay pushblock till extremely late and she should do the slide-across-the-screen thing, unless you opponent is accounting for late pushblock, where it becomes a back and forth mindgame.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hmm, can you? I've been trying to late pushblock her stuff when playing to see if it'd work since that'd probably pushblock the shadow instead of her and it wasn't working. I dunno if he's already accounted for late timing since I also get really frustrated and just start mashing it asap sometimes and that doesn't seem to work either.

Is it like incredibly specific timing and string-dependent? The string the dude I play against uses is like st.l into j.ll, shellkick with whatever chance of unflying inbetween the jumping lights for a st.l

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I think she's fine if they took away meter build during Astral Vision. You have to work really hard with her, and without Dr. Doom she has a hard time chasing people down who can move around well because of her own limited movement options.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

People push block me out of the corner all of the time when I'm doing those L/shell kick mixups. Are you playing a big body where the jump Ls instant overhead? Only way I see that becoming a big issue.

Anyway, her damage is pretty terrible unless you do her really optimized combos which are really execution heavy and the good ones require the corner from the start. Although this doesn't make a huge difference at the highest levels of play, it is a factor.

I mean I didn't say I don't think she needs nerfing. But I don't want them to go overboard. The astral vision nerf would be huge. Plus possibly nerfing missiles, and TACs in the same patch. TAC combos give her meters for astral vision. Do we really think we should go beyond that? You'll cripple the character and remove one of the few viable zoning characters in the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
At this point, just like SFxTKen, the only way to fix this game is to make another game, and I don't mean add six characters, a few stages and a new UI.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Honestly all I'd do is remove infinites and buff the lower tier characters. Nerfing top tier is always a bad idea unless it's truly literally broken like ST Akuma and nothing in UMVC3 is on that level of broken.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

itskage posted:

and remove one of the few viable zoning characters in the game.

But this is what the masses want because zoning is "lame."

Honestly, I get way more hype during a match when I see someone holding off a mad rushdown character with zoning or someone breaks through difficult zoning than I do watching Magneto/Vergil/Wolverine/etc. do their bullshit and do the same old combo I've seen 8 million times.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Fereydun posted:

Even better, let's definitely buff everyone to Zero levels! Soon Hsien-Ko will be filling the screen with hitboxes and forcing you into the corner and making you eat an inescapable unblockable WOOOOO MARVEL

that would be cool

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Is it possible to make Nova/Strange work without Spencer?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Brett824 posted:

...and it doesn't glue some random teams together like missles can.

This is an interesting problem in and of itself. If your team needs a beam assist or an OTG assist to function you have a lot of options, but hidden missiles is a really useful and versatile assist for many characters and there's only one way to get it. I'd like to see a few new hidden missiles style assists get added; Strange's daggers can have more delay added so it functions similarly, giving Tron a barrage of servbots could also give her a cool new thing to expand on her point game, and Chris or Sentinel could get a barrage of bombs. Spencer's restand assist is the same way, some good candidates for new restand assists would be Spidey's web ball, Frank's cart, Iron Man's repulsor, and Wesker's jaguar dash.

But, y'know, my biggest question is: why do I have to pick one assist per character, why I can't I use all of them?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Niddhogg posted:

Is it possible to make Nova/Strange work without Spencer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zpz0kg_wI

It's somethin'. It's probably worth it to just run full on Team Nemo though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

itskage posted:

I mean I didn't say I don't think she needs nerfing. But I don't want them to go overboard. The astral vision nerf would be huge. Plus possibly nerfing missiles, and TACs in the same patch. TAC combos give her meters for astral vision. Do we really think we should go beyond that? You'll cripple the character and remove one of the few viable zoning characters in the game.

If they nerfed the other top tiers other characters who were designed to be keepaway/zoning characters would actually function way better since the top tier kinda invalidates the gently caress out of them (ESPECIALLY Vergil). Morrigan invalidates the others because she's flat out better at everything than them, Zero invalidates them because Lightning->Buster and his rushdown capabilities are strong enough to pressure them to death due to their poor escape/movement options and then Vergil is a teleporter (who almost invalidate zoners, but not entirely) with a one bar super that literally invalidates zoning.

No other characters flat out invalidate all those characters like they do. Wolverine and Wesker are both really good at fighting them, but at least the characters have a decent chance of keeping them away with smart decisions and good spacing rather than being smothered to death by characters with better projectiles, payoff for projectiles, and movement.

I've played Hawkeye since Ultimate came out and I've had to come up with so much poo poo to even try fighting those characters and boy it's really depressing when I think about the frame data on his projectiles vs. the frame data on any of those top character's stuff. 20-80 frames of recovery vs. no recovery at all? Boy those are really well designed characters!

edit: I especially really love it when I shoot a normal jump piercing bolt and then Zero blocks it and a huge bolt of lightning shoots out fullscreen and hits me and then I lose the game.

Also I guess they'd have to really buff Arthur because between him, Chris and Hawkeye he's like kinda really garbage and irrelevant outside of XF anchor gimmick poo poo. Chris and Hawkeye are actually really good outside of the context of the top tier- especially Chris. I guess Strange is in that category too but that dude is a huge mystery to me. I have no idea if he's actually decent or not.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 21, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Aren't Mags and Doom actually better at playing keepaway than designed keepaway characters, while still being really strong (and in Mags' case, really REALLY drat strong) on the offensive?

Marvel is pretty much like AE, the only way you're gonna fix those games is by completely changing their basic mechanics. Might as well allow everyone to abuse the dumb mechanics and hope it balances out in the end.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
"Buff all the low tiers" was a common suggestion for Marvel 2, but it oversimplifies why the top tiers are so good. Do you make everybody Zero-tier, where 1 touch with 0 meter leads to death anywhere on the screen? How do you buff Iron Man to Magneto's level in a way that doesn't just make him a carbon copy of Magneto? Do we really want a game where every character is as strong as Vergil?

A lot of scrubs wanted to be low-tier heroes in Marvel 2 by picking Rogue and the like. The thing about that game was that the god tiers were the perfect representation of their archetype. Magneto was the ultimate rushdown character and as such Rogue didn't even need to exist. Spiral and Cable were different sides of the ultimate zoning coin, both of which invalidated somebody like Dhalsim. The "buff all the weaklings" suggestion is better than the primary alternative ("nerf everybody"), but it doesn't actually consider what makes a character so drat good.

One thing I can certainly say, though: Morrigan is as close to ideal balance as characters should be in this game. But it's a playstyle that the designers wanted to avoid and that a lot of people hate, so she'd probably get nerfed. It's a shame, too, because it's mostly Chris G doing all the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

"Buff all the low tiers" was a common suggestion for Marvel 2, but it oversimplifies why the top tiers are so good. Do you make everybody Zero-tier, where 1 touch with 0 meter leads to death anywhere on the screen? How do you buff Iron Man to Magneto's level in a way that doesn't just make him a carbon copy of Magneto? Do we really want a game where every character is as strong as Vergil?

A lot of scrubs wanted to be low-tier heroes in Marvel 2 by picking Rogue and the like. The thing about that game was that the god tiers were the perfect representation of their archetype. Magneto was the ultimate rushdown character and as such Rogue didn't even need to exist. Spiral and Cable were different sides of the ultimate zoning coin, both of which invalidated somebody like Dhalsim. The "buff all the weaklings" suggestion is better than the primary alternative ("nerf everybody"), but it doesn't actually consider what makes a character so drat good.

One thing I can certainly say, though: Morrigan is as close to ideal balance as characters should be in this game. But it's a playstyle that the designers wanted to avoid and that a lot of people hate, so she'd probably get nerfed. It's a shame, too, because it's mostly Chris G doing all the work.

Yeah, ShadyK wrote about this in a p. decent way in his FGTV article about changes:

ShadyK posted:

2. Accept that some characters are low tier and don’t give them artificial buffs just because. Most low tier characters are low tier because of their design. I don’t expect Felicia to be top tier because she’s obviously a pixie rushdown character with very limited zoning tools. She’s supposed to be a risky character to play. If you want to make her better, give her a more interesting mechanic or improve on an already interesting mechanic, like making her background dash a little more versatile (let me cancel out of it with a command throw!). If not that, you can give her better support tools, like way better assists or DHCs. In fact, you could do this with a lot of low tier characters to emphasize team-building dynamics. Just don’t make more Wolverines, please.

I really think Iron Man could be better, but if they want to do that they really need to do that in a clever and unique way that actually distinguishes him from someone like Magneto.

• Locked thread