Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My problem with the Phantasy Star series is that when people say "the Phantasy Star games" they invariably mean 1-4 (since after that they stopped making any kind of sense and a lot of them were pseudo-MMO things and not very good even at being that) and of those games I find 4 to be the only actually-playable one these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

3 isn't a bad game because it's not like the others, it's a bad game because it's a buggy fever dream of an RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My problem with the Phantasy Star series is that when people say "the Phantasy Star games" they invariably mean 1-4 (since after that they stopped making any kind of sense and a lot of them were pseudo-MMO things and not very good even at being that) and of those games I find 4 to be the only actually-playable one these days.

That is because those are the only Phantasy Stars that matter. It's like when people say Shining Force, they're not talking about all those weird spinoffs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks thread, now I'm replaying 13-2 and 8.

Oh, and thanks to PPSSPP also playing FF4 Complete on my phone.

:negative:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

3 isn't a bad game because it's not like the others, it's a bad game because it's a buggy fever dream of an RPG.

It has good ideas. I like how the main character gets married and has a kid and then you play as the kid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Overbite posted:

It has good ideas. I like how the main character gets married and has a kid and then you play as the kid.

Like a lot of things in PS, Dragon Quest did it so much better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

Good ideas do not make the game actually worth playing, especially when stuff like Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem have done that mechanic a thousand times better, in games that aren't terrible.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Phantasy Star 3 is one of those things that's almost so weird it merits playing despite how bad it is, but I would bring a walkthrough along for the ride no matter what.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is a Flash Sale right now on steam for $8. Just an fyi for anybody that wants it.

Recommend against picking it up. It's got lovely, broken, redundant, pointless third-party DRM on it. We're talking install limits, internet connection required, the works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like a lot of things in PS, Dragon Quest did it so much better.

I would rather replay DQ5 (that's the one with the generation system right?) twenty times than PS3 once.

That said, Phantasy Star 4 is pretty awesome and if it got a makeover for the 3DS or something it would be super.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

Recommend against picking it up. It's got lovely, broken, redundant, pointless third-party DRM on it. We're talking install limits, internet connection required, the works.

Is the best way to legally acquire the game from PSN? Because I'd like to replay it, but my discs are battered all to gently caress and possibly lost + I don't wanna fuss with a Playstation emulator.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Is the best way to legally acquire the game from PSN? Because I'd like to replay it, but my discs are battered all to gently caress and possibly lost + I don't wanna fuss with a Playstation emulator.

I think it is. You can play it on the PS3, the PSP, and even the Vita.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Speaking of, there's no legal way to play Crisis Core without a PSP, correct?

quote:

Eh, while it's dumb to put DRM on a 15-year-old game to begin with, it's really not that bad. You take 10 seconds to create an SE account, log in once, and then you never have to do it again. After that you also don't need an internet connection. Considering the number of hours of gameplay I've gotten out of it, a minute to create a throwaway account is definitely worth it if you don't have a PS3 or something.

If you can snag it off of the PSN store then yeah, it's the better choice, but the Steam version isn't bad at all. It's not really a big difference at all. Plus some people like achievements and stuff, I guess.

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 21, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

Speaking of, there's no legal way to play Crisis Core without a PSP, correct?
I don't think you can get it for Vita, no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Steam version has bug fixes which makes it kind of tempting. It'd be nice to have armor that works.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

I don't think you can get it for Vita, no.

You can, I have it on my Vita right now.

edit: I'm dumb

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 21, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh, I checked the Playstation Online store and didn't see it, so v:v:v

Ignore me, then.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait. Crisis Core has a digital version on the store? Is that a recent thing? Because I've definitely looked for it before and it's not been there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Wait. Crisis Core has a digital version on the store? Is that a recent thing? Because I've definitely looked for it before and it's not been there.

http://us.playstation.com/games/crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-psp.html

At least in the US, no, there's no digital version at all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The Steam version has bug fixes which makes it kind of tempting. It'd be nice to have armor that works.

See, look at this. Look at you. I was all ready to get the PSN version and here you come, saying a thing like this.

I really wish SE would go to the trouble of making perfect editions of the 16/32 bit games already and make them widely available on PC or some other format that isn't invariably going to disappear in another six months forever. All bugfixes and technical problems and poo poo ironed out, none of the audiovisual problems from the Advance SFAM games, no loadtimes or any of that wankery from the PSX ones. Just one Final Fantasy Complete Collection that's got everything in tip-top form in one place. poo poo, they could throw me some goofy tchotchkes and a nice box and sell it to me for $100.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Oh, I checked the Playstation Online store and didn't see it, so v:v:v

Ignore me, then.

Actually you should ignoring me, I misread and thought you were talking about Final Fantasy 7. :v:

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

Overbite posted:

So do you guys like ANY Final Fantasy? I mean they all have terrible stories and most have terrible characters but I thought 7 was really good, and I liked 12 :shobon:

8 is my favourite and I really dislike 7 and 10. I've always known 8 isn't the most popular title in the series but I honestly didn't realise it was universally hated.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yohan Kebab posted:

8 is my favourite and I really dislike 7 and 10. I've always known 8 isn't the most popular title in the series but I honestly didn't realise it was universally hated.

I don't actually think any of the games are universally hated in general or on SA, even 8/13. The closest I've seen is Final Fantasy 2 (NES not US) and even that has its defenders, who are surely suffering from some kind of crippling dysfunction or psychic malady.

For all the griping and bitching and infighting and mockery, Final Fantasy has been a consistently popular series and even FF13 sold well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't actually think any of the games are universally hated in general or on SA, even 8/13. The closest I've seen is Final Fantasy 2 (NES not US) and even that has its defenders, who are surely suffering from some kind of crippling dysfunction or psychic malady.

For all the griping and bitching and infighting and mockery, Final Fantasy has been a consistently popular series and even FF13 sold well.

I seem to recall it also set some kind of record for most copies resold to GameStop in the shortest amount of time or something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have done so much grinding in FFD to get my Job levels to the points where I can switch them to the Jobs I consider fun that I am no longer having fun. It would help if Sol/Alba would please stop being the most annoying people in the world. Final party is going to consist of Aigis/Diana/Nacht/Dusk/Glaive (or Sarah), because screw Sol and Alba. Especially Alba. At least Sol has a good heart underneath his stupid.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Defiance Industries posted:

I seem to recall it also set some kind of record for most copies resold to GameStop in the shortest amount of time or something.

If this is true it's pretty hilarious, although it sucks because the old adage is that the next big sequel pays the financial price for a previous game or film sucking, and I can see FF15 being an awesome game that loses a bunch of money and S-E going "well lots of people bought 13, clearly we need to follow that example".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering how the head developer of FF15 said that he pictures the story to be part one of an epic, I'd be really surprised if they didn't give it the FF13 treatment and give it a sequel or two. Especially considering the long as hell development time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was a goofy rumor someone made up.

The actual game that got the most resells was one of the innumerable Madden sequels. (For obvious reason since few people feel the need to hold onto a Madden game after the next year comes out. It's not even a case of "it's a bad game" just that there are a ton of people who buy Madden and feel no need to hold onto a previous year's copy.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 21, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That happens after the next installment comes out, though. This is, of course, anecdotal, but Madden tends to hold price until at least the end of the football season, while I saw FF13 used for under 20 bucks no more than two weeks after release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That happens after the next installment comes out, though. This is, of course, anecdotal, but Madden tends to hold price until at least the end of the football season, while I saw FF13 used for under 20 bucks no more than two weeks after release.

Gamestop was not selling FF13 used for $20 less than two weeks after release. A smaller store may have done that but you've had games that were recieved as bad as cancer that Gamestop was selling for $55 months after release. Christ, they're still selling FFXIII-2 for $20 new/$17.99 used.

It probably dropped in price quickly, that much is inarguable, but that isn't necessarily a sign of "everyone rushed to return it." Final Fantasy games tend to drop in price pretty quickly by default. Final Fantasy XII actually was down to $20 within 6 months, but that was because Square-Enix rushed out a Greatest Hits $20 version within 6 months of the original's release. They're not games that hold their value long.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 21, 2013

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFXIII was so poorly received that S/E keeps making sequels for it and it's the third best-selling FF title of all time. That's just anecdotal, though.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hey guys about 150 pages back when FF7 first hit steam there was about a page of discussion on a music mod to replace the midi files with better stuff. I cannot find it now, anyone have that link? (sorry if I missed it, but I've been looking for about an hour.)

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Gamestop I picked my FFXIII copy up at had leftover sugar cookies from the midnight release. Personally, I think that was the best part of FFXIII.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gamestop was not selling FF13 used for $20 less than two weeks after release. A smaller store may have done that but you've had games that were recieved as bad as cancer that Gamestop was selling for $55 months after release. Christ, they're still selling FFXIII-2 for $20 new/$17.99 used.

It probably dropped in price quickly, that much is inarguable, but that isn't necessarily a sign of "everyone rushed to return it." Final Fantasy games tend to drop in price pretty quickly by default. Final Fantasy XII actually was down to $20 within 6 months, but that was because Square-Enix rushed out a Greatest Hits $20 version within 6 months of the original's release. They're not games that hold their value long.

Gamestop isn't the best for determining how well received a game is, I bought FFXIII like a year or two after release for 50 bucks new. If I went to Amazon first I could of grabbed it for like 20 dollars.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
My local Gamestop told me they only had seven people come out for their midnight release for XIII, and now that store is closed so obviously that means FFXIII was a commercial disaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Gamestop isn't the best for determining how well received a game is, I bought FFXIII like a year or two after release for 50 bucks new. If I went to Amazon first I could of grabbed it for like 20 dollars.

That is the point I was making though. Gamestop was unlikely to be selling the game for $20 used a few days after release because they don't do that poo poo even for games like Sonic 2006.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

That is the point I was making though. Gamestop was unlikely to be selling the game for $20 used a few days after release because they don't do that poo poo even for games like Sonic 2006.

I bought FF13 used about 2 months after release and it was around $40. They definitely didn't drop the price that fast.

And yes a lot of people traded their copies in, but if you're old enough to remember, the same thing happened with every disc-based Final Fantasy since used game stores existed. You always saw more copies of FF7-12 than almost any other game.

I think the reason is pretty simple. It's a popular series, everyone buys it, but most people just want to experience the story once and be done with it, and that's why they get traded in so much. It's more a sign that people generally like the games than anything.

I'm pretty sure the majority opinion is that 13 was good. v:shobon:v

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

All this talk about the worst game in the series caused me to reconsider a vital mystery: why did I hate FFIX? Of all the entries I've finished, that's the only one I couldn't be bothered to replay. Reading White Dragon's LP made it look great. Was I just exceptionally bitter back then or something? Quite possibly! But the gameplay reason is the thousand little ways the game likes to rub it in that you are playing it badly. Bosses with rare steals, the baffling mess that is Tetrad Whateverthefuck, the hippo racing, the jump rope, the frog catching, the mock fighting during the play, the attack on Treefort Ratman, the goddamned Pluto Knights and their goddamned preferred roles...

Over and over, and loving over again, FFIX dangles content in front of you then whisks it away behind oblique secrets and mechanics designed to sell their worthless strategy guide or ridiculous RNG bullshit. The optional stuff I could mostly overlook (Chocobo Hot and Cold mades up for a lot of frustration), but when the game forces you to put go through stuff like that and then evaluates you on it? That was infuriating.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I spent so many years on FFIII boards hearing II get ragged on so when I finally actually played it and I didnot immediately want to kill myself, I deemed it a good game.

But seriously, I like the ideas of the game mechanics. Plus the game has a truly underrated soundtrack. Best Normal Battle theme, two amazing dungeon themes, a couple really cool boss themes and last but certainly not least, we can't forget the Rebel Army Theme.

Music is very important to me and it really can make a game ten times better in my eyes.

I also give FFII passes I don't give FFVIII or FFXIII. It be silly to criticize the lack of character development in 2 for example. I just go with it more than I would a more modern FF. That is probably a big reason I like it a lot.

Nitramster posted:

Hey guys about 150 pages back when FF7 first hit steam there was about a page of discussion on a music mod to replace the midi files with better stuff. I cannot find it now, anyone have that link? (sorry if I missed it, but I've been looking for about an hour.)

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10546.0

Try that. If it doesn't work, just keep searching that forum. I never used the installer here but it seems to be a much easier and simpler way than the old FF7Music I used years ago so you are lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

precision posted:

I bought FF13 used about 2 months after release and it was around $40. They definitely didn't drop the price that fast.

And yes a lot of people traded their copies in, but if you're old enough to remember, the same thing happened with every disc-based Final Fantasy since used game stores existed. You always saw more copies of FF7-12 than almost any other game.

I think the reason is pretty simple. It's a popular series, everyone buys it, but most people just want to experience the story once and be done with it, and that's why they get traded in so much. It's more a sign that people generally like the games than anything.

I'm pretty sure the majority opinion is that 13 was good. v:shobon:v

You're absolutely right in that they get traded back often, but I haven't met anyone who liked XIII. I see them on the internet; that may be the best place for them.