Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Just caught up with last week's episode.

"He always said he'd have the last laugh."
"He was always wrong!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

scary ghost dog posted:

I doubt a weird costume would give Brock pause.

Actually, Brock is a pretty huge cosplay enthusiast. See: "Love-Bheits".

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They would have won the costume contest too if SOMEONE didn't insist on being Batman.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I am into costumed business.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
The night is mine.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just love how much Hank evolved into Adam west Batman to Christian Bale Batman. It's so great.

Also, my other two shirts came in. Now I have three hank co bucks. :v:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Watched the Halloween episode again. It's all-around great, but Santa Claus showing up and destroying the zombies was one of the most hilariously WTF moments ever, and Santa turning out to be The Master saved it from being the standard LOLRANDOMMONKEYCHEESE.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Shindragon posted:

I just love how much Hank evolved into Adam west Batman to Christian Bale Batman. It's so great.

Also, my other two shirts came in. Now I have three hank co bucks. :v:

Um, I think you mean from "Golden Age" Batman to "Post-Crisis" Batman. They are two completely different Batmen. :colbert:

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

Protagorean posted:

Um, I think you mean from "Golden Age" Batman to "Post-Crisis" Batman. They are two completely different Batmen. :colbert:

Perfect St.Cloudsay, kudos. :D

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

M_E_G. ADI. K posted:

Perfect St.Cloudsay, kudos. :D

That's not St. Cloud's line. :goonsay:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Question : in 'Bot seeks Bot', when the O.S.I. is taking shots at the funeral, I only counted 12 people on the board with the Council silhouettes. Is the Soverign the 13th member?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 21, 2013

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

X_Toad posted:

Question : in 'Bot seeks Bot', when the O.S.I. is taking shots at the funeral, I only counted 12 people on the board with the Council silhouettes. Is the Soverign the 13th member?

They removed Boggles the Clue Clown?

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

X_Toad posted:

Yes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had a dream last night that the finale was awesome. Let's hope that this dream becomes a reality!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

axleblaze posted:

I had a dream last night that the finale was awesome. Let's hope that this dream becomes a reality!

It will be great. However, this will make the void left waiting for the next season much darker.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

X_Toad posted:

The viewer is the 13th member.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

The viewer is the 13th member.

This is the best answer.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Intrepid00 posted:

They removed Boggles the Clue Clown?
Nope, there were three rows of four pictures, Boggles included, Dragoon and Red Mantle separated.

axleblaze posted:

The authors said in SDCC that "the next season's premiere, that's our finale". Apparently, this episode will be a return to basics.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Nope, there were three rows of four pictures, Boggles included, Dragoon and Red Mantle separated.

The authors said in SDCC that "the next season's premiere, that's our finale". Apparently, this episode will be a return to basics.

Return to the House of the Mummies: Part IV!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

X_Toad posted:

My great-great grandchildren will love it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I caught that season 1-4 recap on youtube and, intrigued, have been working my way through season 5. Really interested to see what happens in the season finale, but not feeling all that motivated to watch the first four seasons. It feels like the recap caught me up enough to know what's going on, especially with a little wiki help, and it seems like the earlier seasons moved much slower plot-wise. Plus, the latest incarnations of characters like Gary and Dean seem more fun than their earlier versions (at least, I think).

I guess I'm posting here in hopes of being hyped up a little more to get into the first four seasons. None of my friends want to watch it with me but you guys should be able to talk it up easily enough.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

^^^
At it's heart the show is still foremost a comedy, you should watch the old seasons for the jokes and gags since you know the plot already. Nerds have this tendency to get their heads up their rear end when it comes to anything they enjoy and have to analyse every single detail instead of just enjoying the ride. Don't get too caught up in the plot as it's a means to further the comedy, not the other way around.

X_Toad posted:

Well, at least we will only have to wait a week for resolution, but, at that advanced of a age, a week might be too long.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 21, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Protagorean posted:

I think YOU mean SILVER age Batman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dolash posted:

I caught that season 1-4 recap on youtube and, intrigued, have been working my way through season 5. Really interested to see what happens in the season finale, but not feeling all that motivated to watch the first four seasons. It feels like the recap caught me up enough to know what's going on, especially with a little wiki help, and it seems like the earlier seasons moved much slower plot-wise. Plus, the latest incarnations of characters like Gary and Dean seem more fun than their earlier versions (at least, I think).

I guess I'm posting here in hopes of being hyped up a little more to get into the first four seasons. None of my friends want to watch it with me but you guys should be able to talk it up easily enough.

It's changed over the years, but it was pretty great and funny to begin with. If you liked season 5 there's four whole seasons' worth of jokes there for you, which should help to pass some of the 2+ years before the next actual season starts.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

2house2fly posted:

It's changed over the years, but it was pretty great and funny to begin with. If you liked season 5 there's four whole seasons' worth of jokes there for you, which should help to pass some of the 2+ years before the next actual season starts.

Wait, it's going to take more than two years for the next season to air?

Edit: So it took three years to go from seasons 4 to 5, and now it'll take three more years from seasons 5 to 6? Well, I guess that answers the question of watching the first four seasons - I'll have plenty of time to do it!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 21, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Wait, it's going to take more than two years for the next season to air?

Probably. VB's seasons are spread far apart because of the small number of folks producing it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

They're currently saying that season 6 is going to be around a year away due to their shortened seasons, but Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer do all the writing, a majority of the voices, and then animation is done with the assistance of Titmouse and Korean animation studios. I'll believe they can hit the 1 year plan if I'm watching new episodes this same time next year.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I heard in an interview they did in the middle of this season that the show takes 14 months to animate alone. Add writing and voices and everything else and it's basically never gonna be on a season per year schedule.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

Plus, the latest incarnations of characters like Gary and Dean seem more fun than their earlier versions (at least, I think).
It may be bias, but I seriously have trouble to conciliate Dean in the fifth season and Dean before that. The change in his looks, the change in his outlooks, sometimes it feels like even his voice and body-build are different. I don't think I was that taken aback when Hank went through something similar in season 4.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

X_Toad posted:

It may be bias, but I seriously have trouble to conciliate Dean in the fifth season and Dean before that. The change in his looks, the change in his outlooks, sometimes it feels like even his voice and body-build are different. I don't think I was that taken aback when Hank went through something similar in season 4.

From what I have seen of the earlier seasons, it looks like the titular Venture Brothers were hardly characters before things came to a head with the clone thing. That's part of what's discouraging me from watching the earlier seasons, I particularly like the direction of Dean's character and the confrontation he appears to be on the road toward.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

X_Toad posted:

People change. I've seen charming little nieces and nephews turn into complete douchebags over time.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

From what I have seen of the earlier seasons, it looks like the titular Venture Brothers were hardly characters before things came to a head with the clone thing. That's part of what's discouraging me from watching the earlier seasons, I particularly like the direction of Dean's character and the confrontation he appears to be on the road toward.

It used to be the Doc and Brock show, almost. And that's not a bad thing. If you're watching this show just for the plot and world building, you're making a mistake. It's a funny cartoon, go watch it in order you dope.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I was just rewatching Pomp and Circuitry and noticed some of these names:

They've had Phage and Flying Squid in the works for a while now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dolash posted:

They were definitely characters, they were just naive and in a state of arrested development. But that's a big part of their overall character arc, it's part of what makes it so good.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cloks posted:

I was just rewatching Pomp and Circuitry and noticed some of these names:

They've had Phage and Flying Squid in the works for a while now.

Phage has been in it before, he was arching Professor Impossible in Pomp and Circuitry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkLRaqj76i4

edit: i failed at reading your post that said you were watching that very episode.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 21, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dolash posted:

It's more that it's been a journey, like you said, but it took a much longer path than you're seeing.

Pilot episode, Hank and Dean are straight-up parodies of Johnny Quest boy adventurer types. They're hopelessly naive, idealistic, and childish. And practically identical in behavior. The first four seasons have been about deconstructing that. For as atypical as they are, they've had the typical teenage journey of rebelling against their parents, finding their own interests, and learning to deal with the outside world. It's just that they live in a cynical pastiche of a world, so where they are ending up isn't quite "normal" by our standards.

There's so many good moments along that journey that I think you're doing yourself a disservice to discount the earlier episodes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You're not a Venture Brother if you don't watch the previous seasons. :colbert:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

What kind of crazy person doesn't watch the first four seasons :stare:

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Hank's evolution into The Bat is one of the best arcs in the first four seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
This Dougie Howser M.D. season 4 is the bees knees, but isn't the main actor a little young to be a doctor? What's the deal?

If he's worried about titular character involvement, already missed out on the whole roller coaster of "Who are the Venture brothers this season?" being teased right up through the intro themes.