Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Do you have at least one traversable river province?
I thought it was only necessary to have a major_rivers = { } entry in default.map, but that it was possible to leave it blank. 's what this thread said, at least. At the very least, I could cheese it and define the northeastern sea province as a river province and keep the other two sea provinces connected with a portage, couldn't I?

e: My reading comprehension skills are sub-par.

e2: Here's the blank I'm working with-

It's the just getting the bare minimum to start which is somehow absurdly difficult. I've added provinces easily enough on my own before, so if I can get the damnable thing to just loving load up and work once I'm golden, but I'm too incompetent for that ffs.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

Sistergodiva posted:

I don't remember right now since it was when I first installed, but I had to fix some memory problems to stop my game from crashing and stuff. Can't find the proper fix on google, but it was something about giving the game more memory. I think it defaults to 2gb ram used or something you had to open some file in a hex-editor or something similar to edit it to use more memory.

I was under the impression this got fixed with a patch, but I'll look into it.

Thanks.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I got a pretty amusing coincidence in my current game.

MrSaturday
May 1, 2012

Bishop Rodan posted:

I got a pretty amusing coincidence in my current game.

That's awesome. I got invited to an "Augustus for Byzantine Emperor" faction once.

On the Aztecs, last game I played as Mali saw them convert to Catholicism and peacefully rule over Northern France. Imagining that conversion as a real historical event was fantastic and the guy who pulled it off has the be the most hardcore saint ever.

"Oh, we get the whole human sacrifice thing. Look at our cross! I mean, we do it metaphorically every Sunday!"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MrSaturday posted:

"Oh, we get the whole human sacrifice thing. Look at our cross! I mean, we do it metaphorically every Sunday!"
"And our priests DRINK his blood while our faithfuls EAT his corpse! We totally get it!"

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Isn't the classic bit "Quetzalcoatl = Jesus"?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cycloneman posted:

The Feathered Serpent Sky-God died for our sins.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cycloneman posted:

Well, the Aztecs believed their sacrifices were necessary to fuel the universe basically, so perhaps one could spin the death of Jesus on the cross as being a sacrifice of a god to himself, making a sacrifical perpetual motion machine to power the cosmos.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought it was only necessary to have a major_rivers = { } entry in default.map, but that it was possible to leave it blank. 's what this thread said, at least. At the very least, I could cheese it and define the northeastern sea province as a river province and keep the other two sea provinces connected with a portage, couldn't I?

e: My reading comprehension skills are sub-par.

e2: Here's the blank I'm working with-

It's the just getting the bare minimum to start which is somehow absurdly difficult. I've added provinces easily enough on my own before, so if I can get the damnable thing to just loving load up and work once I'm golden, but I'm too incompetent for that ffs.

As that thread says, you need at least one of each type of entry in adjacencies.csv, in addition to the default.map entries. Get that setup, and your map will load properly.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SeaTard posted:

As that thread says, you need at least one of each type of entry in adjacencies.csv, in addition to the default.map entries. Get that setup, and your map will load properly.

code:
province;red;green;blue;x;x
1;159;139;160;Isle Royal;x
2;20;102;12;Thunder Bay;x
3;36;100;179;Devil Track;x
4;17;69;133;Duluth;x
5;23;49;80;Ashland;x
6;57;90;131;Porcupines;x
7;65;130;210;Keweenaw;x
8;109;174;255;Baraga;x
9;105;149;203;Marquette;x
10;6;85;184;Munising;x
11;7;44;90;Tahquamenon;x
12;146;162;183;Sault;x
13;91;124;164;Sault Ontario;x
14;231;229;215;Superior Bay;x
15;203;197;162;Lake Superior;x
16;205;203;195;Whitefish Bay;x
17;225;214;172;Soo Locks;x
18;231;208;118;North Channel;x
19;6;6;6;Null;x
code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
1;2;sea;14;-1;-1;-1;-1;Isle Royal-Thunder Bay
12;13;major_river;17;-1;-1;-1;-1;Soo Locks
16;18;portage;12;-1;-1;-1;-1;Soo Locks
-1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1
code:
max_provinces = 19
sea_starts = 14
definitions = "definition.csv"
provinces = "provinces.bmp"
positions = "positions.txt"
terrain = "terrain.bmp"
rivers = "rivers.bmp"
terrain_definition = "terrain.txt"
heightmap = "topology.bmp"
tree_definition = "trees.bmp"
continent = "continent.txt"
adjacencies = "adjacencies.csv"
climate = "climate.txt"
region = "region.txt"
static = "static.txt"

# Define which indices in trees.bmp palette which should count as trees for automatic terrain assignment
tree = { 3 4 7 10 }
major_rivers = { 
	17 # Soo Locks
}
So it ought to work now, right?

WELP

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I know yall are on the Vikings deal, but I just started playing Republics and drat. Started out as Gotland and now I rule the Most Serene Republic of Lithuania.

In my wars to form Lithuania, I had something interesting happen for the first time. In a Holy War for the Duchy of Lithuania, just as I was about to take the warscore to 100%, the war ended inconclusively. The dude (high chief?), on the eve of his defeat, converted to Catholicism. So this ends the war and he keeps his lands and I have to start plotting and fabricating and stabbing.

I'd never seen a NPC convert and never seen conversion end a war.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 21, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'd never seen a NPC convert and never seen conversion end a war.

It's new with the Old God's patch.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah, and only unreformed pagans have the option to convert to avoid losing a holy war.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.medievalists.net/2013/07/21/crac-des-chevaliers-struck-by-missile-heavily-damaged/

One of the most famous crusader castles, Crac des Chevaliers, just got whacked by an airstrike in Syria. Pretty extensive damage to a really historic building. What a shame.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

YouTuber posted:

http://www.medievalists.net/2013/07/21/crac-des-chevaliers-struck-by-missile-heavily-damaged/

One of the most famous crusader castles, Crac des Chevaliers, just got whacked by an airstrike in Syria. Pretty extensive damage to a really historic building. What a shame.

Oh gently caress :ohdear: That place is amazing, I've always wanted to go.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That is a real shame. Still, it's very impressive that a thousand years later the Syrian rebels were still able to use it for its original purpose, as a fort. Until the airstrike I guess.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

That is a real shame. Still, it's very impressive that a thousand years later the Syrian rebels were still able to use it for its original purpose, as a fort. Until the airstrike I guess.

Even taking an airstrike the building seems to only have minor damage. A hole maybe 4-5ft wide from what I can see from the interior walkabout.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I'm thinking of starting an Old Gods Amalfi game, any tips to help me not get crushed? Seems like a precarious position, but I feel like trying to create a Greco-Sicillian Merchant Sicily.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So, this game has no goal so I've set myself with one. To be Calif and to unite Persia, Arabia, and everything South of it. Pretty touch, but so far I'm loving this game.

CK II+, is it a bit weird for anyone else? I like it a lot but some of the things in it seem a bit confusing to me, but that is probably my fault for not reading more into it. I'm sure there is a wiki for all the mods and such for this game- but I do like some of the things it does.

Going from Sunni to Pagan is weird faith wise, since its done so much differently. Speaking of, the Shia Caliph is my vassal and I'm trying to absolutely destroy his whole faith as I unite the world- any way I can convert him, currently it seems like I can't and I may just end up slowly killing off people one by one till his Dynasty dies with him. A brutal concept.

MrSaturday
May 1, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Even taking an airstrike the building seems to only have minor damage. A hole maybe 4-5ft wide from what I can see from the interior walkabout.

It's rather impressive and a smart move by the rebels to use that masterpiece of a fortress.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

MrSaturday posted:

It's rather impressive and a smart move by the rebels to use that masterpiece of a fortress.

Yep. Its really tragic yet genius. Sad.

Also, do the links to mods in the OP fail for anyone else?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MrSaturday posted:

It's a shame it's taking damage, but all the same I'd imagine whoever built it would probably be proud that it's still holding its own as a fortress centuries later.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dauntasa posted:

It's a shame it's taking damage, but all the same I'd imagine whoever built it would probably be proud that it's still holding its own as a fortress centuries later.

I expect it to be properly modeled in HOI4. :colbert:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Rejected Fate posted:

So I'm thinking of starting an Old Gods Amalfi game, any tips to help me not get crushed? Seems like a precarious position, but I feel like trying to create a Greco-Sicillian Merchant Sicily.

I did my last game as Amalfi.

I generally didn't have problems staying alive. Sicily is pretty fragmented at the start, so you can do the trade post -> seize city -> seize county thing for a while and eventually start holy warring. If all else fails, you can also swear fealty to the Byzantines.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

I'm curious, if you make an Antipope and then press his claim as an Emperor and he becomes your vassal, can you get him to declare crusades on whichever infidels you want? :catholic: Or even then is it only when the Pope feels like it?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm curious, if you make an Antipope and then press his claim as an Emperor and he becomes your vassal, can you get him to declare crusades on whichever infidels you want? :catholic: Or even then is it only when the Pope feels like it?

Sadly no, non-you religious heads only declare Crusades/Jihads/Great Holy Wars based on algorithms.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

jpmeyer posted:

Sadly no, non-you religious heads only declare Crusades/Jihads/Great Holy Wars based on algorithms.

Well poo poo. :dawkins101: Does it at least make it easier to excommunicate people, or is the only reason to press an Antipope to have a pope slightly more likely to like you?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Bishop Rodan posted:

Well poo poo. :dawkins101: Does it at least make it easier to excommunicate people, or is the only reason to press an Antipope to have a pope slightly more likely to like you?

IIRC you can get easy excommunications and divorces with an antipope even without making him the regular Pope. The other reason to press an antipope's claim (other than vassalizing the Pope) is that the presence of antipopes hurts the Catholic moral authority.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

jpmeyer posted:

IIRC you can get easy excommunications and divorces with an antipope even without making him the regular Pope.
Only on people who share a religious head. So it's great for "annoying vassal is excommunicated because I say so, now I'm chucking him in jail for being excommunicated" shennanigans but... not much else.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible for uh Heresy or Religions to be made on the fly? Like you make an anti-pope and that gives you a casus belle on others to force them to submit to your anti-pope?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

YouTuber posted:

Is it possible for uh Heresy or Religions to be made on the fly? Like you make an anti-pope and that gives you a casus belle on others to force them to submit to your anti-pope?
Sadly no, you still count as Catholic. It weakens Catholicism as a whole so it makes heresies more likely to spring up, but at least by itself you can't turn your anti-pope on other Catholics.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
A friend who I got into the game is near the end date and is super powerful.

Yet, there's a single count in a faction with no other members with about 1 million, 8 hundred thousand revolt strength %. I'm going to assume that gently caress found some dragon eggs or something.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

I'm sure this has already been asked a thousand times, but who's the best/easiest Norse character to play as in the Old Gods start?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm sure this has already been asked a thousand times, but who's the best/easiest Norse character to play as in the Old Gods start?

Harald Fairhair in Ostlandet is probably the easiest, him or the dude in Sweden, I think it's Bjorn Ironside. They've got strong starts with room to expand before they come up against anyone who'll be a big threat. I imagine the dude in Denmark is in a similar situation but he might get into a fight with the Karlings.

The ones in the British Isles are of varying difficulty; Jorvik's a tough start and Dublin looks even harder. Ivar the Boneless, in Scotland, has a comparatively easier time and should be able to create Skotland and push through the rest of the Isles with relatively little difficulty.

Out east there's also Rurik and Dyre but I've never played them so I can't really comment. Pretty sure Rurik starts out in a much stronger position than Dyre does though.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get rid of the gluttonous trait throughout an event or what else? It's like a -30 opinion to everyone if you happen to be a female ruler :(

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the gluttonous trait throughout an event or what else? It's like a -30 opinion to everyone if you happen to be a female ruler :(
If you don't care about cheating, you can trigger event 3202.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I'm playing the Byzantines (Or, thanks to the mod, the 'Basileia Rhomaion' I loving love it) using the Project Balance and Somewhat more historical mod, does anyone know how I'm going to be able to get claims on Rome, Jerusalem and so on if they're surrounded by territory that I can't get a CB for? Please don't tell me I have to use claims on adjacent territories until the end of time :catholic:....

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

maev posted:

I'm playing the Byzantines (Or, thanks to the mod, the 'Basileia Rhomaion' I loving love it) using the Project Balance and Somewhat more historical mod, does anyone know how I'm going to be able to get claims on Rome, Jerusalem and so on if they're surrounded by territory that I can't get a CB for? Please don't tell me I have to use claims on adjacent territories until the end of time :catholic:....

IIRC the way that mod works you need to reconquer all of Sicily, Syria and Egypt before you're allowed to use your Imperial Reclamation CB on Rome.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
My King of Wales just became King of Jerusalem! :woop: I was pretty surprised as my contribution to the Crusade didn't seem that big to me, I just sent 10k men initially, came back home to squash a rebellion, then sent 10k men again.

Now to divvy up the spoils. Over 40 titles. :cripes: Would holding both kingdom titles be a major hurdle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Holding jerusalem would give you a foreign ruler penalty and generally be a pain in the rear end to protect once the Muslims want it back. I'd give it off to a family member. Let them deal with it.

• Locked thread