Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Scuttle the first ship once you join the two ships together. You can't get your army onto the second ship otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You don't have to scuttle it, you can just move the ship w/o movement points out of the stack. Army stays on the fresh ship, like magic.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Speaking of this, how is the rise of the samurai campaign?

I'm currently playing a campaign as the Fujiwara. The biggest things that come to my mind is that all generals are horse archers, which makes them very powerful. This especially notable in the beginning, when you mostly rely on the weak levy troops. There seem to be wider quality gaps in general: foot samurai, for example, are a very strong unit and can probably carry the campaign for you. The Minamoto start out with them, or at least very close to them, which gave a lot of trouble to my culturally-inclined Fujiwara.

Diplomacy is quite clear-cut between different clan allegiances: you can't be friends with a clan supporting a different claim to the throne, and the biggest clans seem more durable than in vanilla. You have a sister clan who'll back you up until realm divide, but they seem to have differing levels of utility. My Fujiwara sisters are bottled up by me in the north of Honshu, and can't assist me aside from guarding my shipping lanes.

It is a good campaign with a lot of detail, but like others have said, it'll probably get repetitive at some point: going up the tech trees won't really give you new units but reinforce the advantages you had at the start of the game. Hero units might be fun though once I get to them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Playing as the Tsu on the "hard" setting in FoTS was a mistake, I have had to fight off every single bastard one of the clans that surround me (Thanks Obama!) and have been unable to scrape together any funds at all other than what I need to keep my single army together against a group of clans that appear to piss units and crap generals.

I think the only good thing about it is seeing all of my units get stupid amounts of experience from killing absolutely everything that comes up to my castles walls. But can someone help me as to how to get money and units better when playing this? It is getting a bit silly now.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 21, 2013

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Playing as Russia in M2TW, it's the 12th century and I've already conquered every last territory using my absurdly awesome cavalry. Raking in huge dollars and batting away the mongol hordes like flies, except now when I try to advance the turn the game simply crashes.

The game is telling me that I've won so hard it can no longer continue.

(turns out you can't have the PC auto-manage every settlement in Europe. :ssh:)

Actually I have a question as well: how do I grind the papal states out of existence?

Revener fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 21, 2013

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Revener posted:

Playing as Russia in M2TW, it's the 12th century and I've already conquered every last territory using my absurdly awesome cavalry. Raking in huge dollars and batting away the mongol hordes like flies, except now when I try to advance the turn the game simply crashes.

The game is telling me that I've won so hard it can no longer continue.

(turns out you can't have the PC auto-manage every settlement in Europe. :ssh:)

Actually I have a question as well: how do I grind the papal states out of existence?
Take all Catholic territory in the world. As long as there is even one province left in the hand of a catholic, the vatican can freely go into exile when they lose their current province.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Make them your vassal, if you can.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Playing as the Tsu on the "hard" setting in FoTS was a mistake, I have had to fight off every single bastard one of the clans that surround me (Thanks Obama!) and have been unable to scrape together any funds at all other than what I need to keep my single army together against a group of clans that appear to piss units and crap generals.

I think the only good thing about it is seeing all of my units get stupid amounts of experience from killing absolutely everything that comes up to my castles walls. But can someone help me as to how to get money and units better when playing this? It is getting a bit silly now.

Bum rush any Obama city with a port and try to get from there to Sado for the delicious gold mine. I've never seen the AI defend it too well, so with a bit of luck you can land an army there and take the island on consecutive turns. Also, Armstrong/parrot guns are absolutely vital, they're expensive as gently caress but they're like force multipliers which will let you win battles when you're outnumbered 3 to 1 even if you only have a couple of them. Personal preference here is to take Kyoto as well because it provides good wealth with the railroad station and is also easy to defend because your levy infantry can fire off a couple of volleys, retreat to the middle fort and then fire off more volleys; done right it can route most line infantry before they even have a chance to scale the inner wall.

EDIT: Also, realm divide is your friend, since then all the Imperial factions to the west will declare war on all the shogunate clans that surround you, though by that point you probably don't have many enemies around you. Unless you want to forge your own republic. Which you should, because the Tsu Republic bows to no shogun or emperor :getin:

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 22, 2013

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Playing as Tsu in FOTS has given me a massive appreciation for Yari Kachi and Kyoto Police, even the humble Spear Levy does an excellent job of stabbing those pesky riflemen at the start and end of the game. Enemy riflemen don't get to do any shooting if you let them come up the wall and THEN start stabbing them. Tsu just plain has to turtle in many instances until you can build up enough to overwhelm one enemy at a time.

KlavoHunter fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 22, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've found with the TSU you really have to abuse the ninja background to win. Wait until they get close, fire off a volley and order your troops back. The enemy should come forward and hopefully you should have had hidden units on either one or both sides. On battles where you can't do that, a good old charge one side and cut your way up the line should work.

I find that if you survive long enough to get kneel fire, you've won the game anyway. Two line troops in a castle plus garrison troops is enough to ruin most average size armies if you tell them to kneel fire and post them behind the wall instead of on it firing down.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

dogstile posted:

I've found with the TSU you really have to abuse the ninja background to win. Wait until they get close, fire off a volley and order your troops back. The enemy should come forward and hopefully you should have had hidden units on either one or both sides. On battles where you can't do that, a good old charge one side and cut your way up the line should work.

I find that if you survive long enough to get kneel fire, you've won the game anyway. Two line troops in a castle plus garrison troops is enough to ruin most average size armies if you tell them to kneel fire and post them behind the wall instead of on it firing down.

The artillery mod seems to inspire the AI to actually bring artillery to sieges, which complicates them significantly. It also reduces the firing arc for Parrot/Armstrong guns such that they aren't great for counter-battery fire. It makes sieges a lot more fun/challenging. Either you station enough defensive artillery on your frontier fort to keep them from simply shooting it to bits, or you keep a unit of cavalry or two handy to sneak out and ride those cowards down :black101:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

It's really lovely playing a clan surrounded by people on higher difficulties cause the ai just dogpiles you and their allies from across the map also go ahead and dogpile your ports and trade routes

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Tangentially related to Shogun, I watched the Kurosawa film Kagemusha tonight. It was really cool. Takes place in 16th century Japan and includes the Oda, Takeda, and Tokugawa clans. It's a very interesting story, and is filmed beautifully and the costumes and props are eye-popping.

It's on Netflix Instant streaming in the US right now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It really is like fighting the loving tide, especially when the few imperial clans next to you decide "hurf a durf you are too big a threat to me" and attack you anyway.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012
Has there been a release date announced for Rome 2 yet?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Come on, that's easily googled. September 3rd is the planned release date.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Tyack posted:

Has there been a release date announced for Rome 2 yet?

On the front page of the Rome 2 website. September 3. You should have just googled this.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

On the front page of the Rome 2 website. September 3. You should have just googled this.

It didn't come up it just showed as September 2013 on Steam.
Thanks for the information though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Still waiting for my Shogun 2 Gold Edition to arrive in the mail. The waiting is killing me! Then I have the PSU power surges to look forward to, which means automatic restart, which means I won't really get to enjoy the game.

But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Steam may make you install updates anyway, you know. Just a heads-up.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I have now pre-ordered RTW2 collector's edition. Nothing can go wrong with this game, right? :colbert:

(That's also what i said about Star Wars: The Old Republic and see how that turned out :ohdear:)

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

jonnypeh posted:

I have now pre-ordered RTW2 collector's edition. Nothing can go wrong with this game, right? :colbert:

(That's also what i said about Star Wars: The Old Republic and see how that turned out :ohdear:)

The total war series has had one misfire, whereas MMOs are a comedic series of rolling mistakes and shattered dreams. I think you might be in the clear.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Revener posted:

The total war series has had one misfire, whereas MMOs are a comedic series of rolling mistakes and shattered dreams. I think you might be in the clear.

Which one was that?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jonnypeh posted:

Which one was that?

Gotta be Empire.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Certainly not M2TW :colbert:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Gotta be Empire.

Oh yeah. Didn't think of that.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I remember being super excited for Empire after all of the glowing reviews. Turns out reviewers don't know a drat thing and have no business reviewing poo poo like TW/Civilization games.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

jonnypeh posted:

Still put 200+ hours into the fucker :colbert:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

jonnypeh posted:

Sorry, but now that you've pre-ordered it it's Ruined Forever.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
To be honest I feel like Medieval 1 was legitimately better than Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire and it wasn't until Napoleon that Total War started to be good again. Unfortunately that one kinda suffered from the limited campaign options and all the units being very very similar, but that's a time period thing. Really looking forward to Rome 2 after Shogun 2 though. I feel that in all 3 campaigns they've got a bunch of cool mechanics that just iterate on improving the total war experience and from what we've heard about Rome 2 so far, I'm really hoping it'll be the best one yet. Won't even have to worry too much about the battle AI, the traditional weakest point, due to multiplayer campaign.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone got a heads-up on some preorder deals for Rome 2? I missed the GMG one from a while back and now I can't find any DEALZ.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

jonnypeh posted:

A-hem. That's only if spinoffs count, though.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone got a heads-up on some preorder deals for Rome 2? I missed the GMG one from a while back and now I can't find any DEALZ.

Speaking of this. Has anyone from the US had any trouble from buying a Steam game from a foreign authorized dealer? I've bought once from GamersGate and it was fine.

Part of the reason for my asking this is because I know of a really good deal from a South American authorized dealer. But the forum rules are a bit hazy on this and I don't want to get in trouble.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Grand Prize Winner posted:

A-hem. That's only if spinoffs count, though.

You know they don't. :colbert:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Trujillo posted:

The only drawback to playing the Date is how far away everything is. The provinces up there are big and unless you're chain ferrying your armies around it'll take years to get fresh ones to the end game front. To do that set up a chain of the cheapest ships so that each ship is in range to merge with the next ship in the chain. Put your army onto ship A from a port and move ship A to ship B. Disband ship A and move ship B to ship C and so on for however far you have to go. If you're playing as Date this is pretty much required.

Don't bother making your starting province and early ones a central unit production facility because of this, even with the blacksmith. The central east territories work much better for this; centralized, rich soil, and along the south coast there is a blacksmith province that you should own as a chokepoint anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

To be honest I feel like Medieval 1 was legitimately better than Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire and it wasn't until Napoleon that Total War started to be good again. Unfortunately that one kinda suffered from the limited campaign options and all the units being very very similar, but that's a time period thing. Really looking forward to Rome 2 after Shogun 2 though. I feel that in all 3 campaigns they've got a bunch of cool mechanics that just iterate on improving the total war experience and from what we've heard about Rome 2 so far, I'm really hoping it'll be the best one yet. Won't even have to worry too much about the battle AI, the traditional weakest point, due to multiplayer campaign.

I think the problem is that Shogun and Medieval were virtually just Risk on the strategy level. Now that's simple and easy and it works, but you can't really take it anywhere. Making the jump to the 3D Rome map was always going to result in a game with more things 'wrong' than Medieval, but that jump had to be made in order for the game to go anywhere. Empire is when we get 3D map mark 2, and Napoleon is where they fix all the fuckups that should never have been in Empire.

I'm not sure where they go from Rome 2. Assuming we're sticking with the themes they've stuck to, I don't really care for a Medieval 3 (we've just had 2 swords and spears games). But it also feels a bit too soon for a Napoleon 2. An Empire 2 that starts in 1600 rather than 1700 so it can properly cover the shot and pike era would be nice but there's got to be a lot of resistance to that from how poisonous the Empire brand must be.

[quote]

Frijolero posted:

Speaking of this. Has anyone from the US had any trouble from buying a Steam game from a foreign authorized dealer? I've bought once from GamersGate and it was fine.

Part of the reason for my asking this is because I know of a really good deal from a South American authorized dealer. But the forum rules are a bit hazy on this and I don't want to get in trouble.

If Valve notice you getting around region restrictions to get a better price then they have a tendency to do things like ban your account.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 23, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A game focused on colonial expansion would be pretty awesome. Use European nations to fight Americans, Africans and Asians, do the naval arms race as more and more technological advancements allow for bigger, faster and stronger ships, fight pirates and whatever else.

Gunpowder games are boring. Too rigid. The Naval battles have immense potential though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alchenar posted:

An Empire 2 that starts in 1600 rather than 1700 so it can properly cover the shot and pike era would be nice but there's got to be a lot of resistance to that from how poisonous the Empire brand must be.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised if anyone that didn't already play and love the Total War series would know or care that Empire was sort of a mess.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd give Empire another go with a better AI, Engine and art team. Empire had potential but was let down in many ways yes it sucked.

Can we stop bringing it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Am I the only person that really does not like gun power weapons in Total War games? I'm replaying MTW2 with Stainless Steel and made an audible groan when the 'discovered gun power' event rolled around. Same reason I'm not really interested in the expansion for Shogun 2 that focuses on that stuff, maybe I'm just weird like that.