Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Inoki's back in office on the Japan Restoration Party ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you don't hate Inoki you are a bad person.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRafTer posted:

If you don't hate Inoki you are a bad person.

I love him in the same way that I'd love a particularly good movie villain.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Inoki kinda always struck me as the Japanese equivalent of Vince. Both are fasincating personalitirs and old egotistical bastards who founded the biggest feds in their respective countries. Can easily come off as either endearingly crazy or appalling depending on the situation.

JRP's Shintaro Ishihara's new party, right?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Yep, a mid-November 2012 merger of the regional Osaka Restoration Association (most recently notorious for the mayor of Ōsaka city) with the former Party of the Sun (previously aka "Rise Up Japan"); Ishihara announced Inoki's candidacy in early June this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

Inoki kinda always struck me as the Japanese equivalent of Vince. Both are fasincating personalitirs and old egotistical bastards who founded the biggest feds in their respective countries. Can easily come off as either endearingly crazy or appalling depending on the situation.

JRP's Shintaro Ishihara's new party, right?

that's even more reason to hate Inoki then, those are the kinds of assholes who go to Yasukuni Shrine on war remembrance days or suggest the "comfort women" in WWII were volunteers who knew exactly what they were getting into. So, lots of old Japanese men who need to get flung into the sun.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

that's even more reason to hate Inoki then, those are the kinds of assholes who go to Yasukuni Shrine on war remembrance days or suggest the "comfort women" in WWII were volunteers who knew exactly what they were getting into. So, lots of old Japanese men who need to get flung into the sun.

Oh, don't get me wrong from what I know about Ishihara this definitely falls squarely into the "appalling" camp.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't Inoki mostly Brazilian? It seems odd for him to be a "Japan is for the Japanese" type. And, as I understand it, that's what that party represents.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't Inoki mostly Brazilian? It seems odd for him to be a "Japan is for the Japanese" type. And, as I understand it, that's what that party represents.

Every country has them, and them gaining power is a worrying trend all over the place right now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

njsykora posted:

Every country has them, and them gaining power is a worrying trend all over the place right now.

I'm aware, I just thought it was well known in Japan that he was Brazilian, where you figure even with his iconic status, somebody would be all "Doesn't that mean you have to leave, bro?"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Inoki's family *moved* to Brazil. He's Japanese by birth and genes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ditch posted:

Inoki's family *moved* to Brazil. He's Japanese by birth and genes.

Well, poo poo. Maybe I was confusing him with Rikidozan, who was also iconic but not Japanese.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Inoki is a Muslim, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Well, poo poo. Maybe I was confusing him with Rikidozan, who was also iconic but not Japanese.

:eng101: Rikidozan was from Korea and when he came to Japan, he first lived/trained about 25-30 minutes from where I live. I'm pretty sure he trained in sumo first, and did so down here before moving away. That's only the tip of the iceberg that is "interesting Japanese history down in Nagasaki".

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Japanese-occupied Korea, at that... though the 2004 biopic purports that it was anti-Korean discrimination in sumo that prompted him to turn to pro wrestling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Speaking of Rikidozan, I know he was a huge megastar in postwar Japan and that died young due to being stabbed by a yakuza in a bar with a a urine soaked blade.

What I've never heard about was why he got stabbed in the first place. I assume he was targeted instead of just being in a bar fight due to the always mentioned detail about the piss on the blade.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 22, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Thauros posted:

What I've never heard about was why he got stabbed in the first place. I assume he was targeted instead of just being in a bar fight due to the always mentioned detail about the piss on the blade.

I'm not an expert by any means so this might be wrong at points - somebody correct me if so.

Back in the old days, puroresu had a strong connection to yakuza financing - for this reason, there were wrestlers and promotions with either financial or personal ties to yakuza groups. This is why, for example, FMW's owner ended up dead; his funding came from the yakuza, and when the promotion folded he owed them an obscene amount of money and killed himself rather than have his family retaliated against.

For some reason (probably ego-related), Rikidozan did this one time, and the guy he shot on, Masahiko Kimura, was an associate of a yakuza family. Rikidozan was murdered by the yakuza in retaliation for embarrassing and assaulting Kimura.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As far as I'm aware some companies still have those connections, I've heard lots of times that Dragon Gate is heavily tied to the yakuza and of course there was the almighty poo poo pile NOAH got into when their links were discovered a few years ago.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the Yakuza hit on Rikidozan was due to his nightclub ventures. Something about him refusing to pay the correct fees.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
Rikidozan movie on Netflix is a good watch. It's...a movie, not a 100% accurate historical representation, so take it for what it is, but I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi career MV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQzcfVeUnE

:cry:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hey Ditch and other guys who know '80s/'90s puro:

Could you guys recommend some cool Hansen and Brody matches? Both singles and tags would be cool.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

Could you guys recommend some cool Hansen and Brody matches? Both singles and tags would be cool.

Here's a few Hansen ones off the top of my head to tide you over.

Hansen vs. Andre the Giant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0Wo7hLTIE

Hansen vs. Kobashi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV4hKPlK7fQ

Hansen & Gordy vs. Funks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94G8t_Qccw

Hansen & Gordy vs. Tenryu & Kawada - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gu72Ireiwg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Where would I get a DDT Pro shirt? Big Japan has some really cool stuff on that English website of theirs but no DDT shirt.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks for the Hansen links Price check.

I don't know of any DDT Pro shirts for sale outside of a very odd Hikaru Sato shirt if you're tiny enough to wear a XS, but thanks for the link to the BJW site EGG. No idea they even had an English one. Their What's BJW? page cracked me up though:

quote:

Big Japan Pro Wrestling, or BJW, is a legendary Japanese death match pro wrestling organization.
Matches are exciting and feature exploding fluorescent light and barbed wire!

There was a time when BJW experimented with valet tudo,
but death matches have been the main attraction for BJW ever since its foundation and first event on March 16, 1995 at Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium.
In addition to death matches, the high level and amazing skills of BJW's wrestlers make for exciting matches.

BJW prides itself on being fan friendly.
Furthermore, BJW gives back to society by holding both wrestling and other special events at nursing homes, schools, and various places in the community.

I'm sure they tone it down, but a deathmatch heavy fed talking about holding events at nursing homes and schools as a public service is kinda funny.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 27, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Brody wasn't good so if you want to see "big tough white dude" just watch more Hansen.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Thauros posted:

Price Check has you covered with Hansen, so...

Brody vs Jumbo

Brody & Superfly Snuka vs the Funks

Brody vs Inoki

For non-puro stuff:

Brody vs Abdullah the Butcher

Brody vs Ric Flair - part 1, check the related for the next seven (yes, seven) parts. This was supposedly Brody's favorite out of all his matches.

e: for what it's worth I'm with Ditch re: Hansen being considerably better

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Surprised no-one's posted this yet: Hansen vs Vader.

Brace yourself, it gets ugly.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given thr participants,, but I just watched Hansen vs Kobashi from July ''93 and goddamn that was excellent. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

VogeGandire posted:

Surprised no-one's posted this yet: Hansen vs Vader.

Brace yourself, it gets ugly.

This match is eye-poppingly good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
While I'm on a DDT kick, what are the absolute best shows to get? I've liked everything I've seen on PSPtv but am unsure of what shows are good, and outside of Kenny Omega, his arch-rival Yoshichiko, Generico, and Kota Ibushi I'm not too educated on who is and isn't good in that promotion.

Also, can somebody tell me a bit more about FREEDOMS? I know it's Jun Kasai's promotion but I don't know much else.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 27, 2013

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
DDTs biggest show of the year is DDT Peter Pan Ryogoku which usually takes place around this time. That's the show where Kota vs Okada is taking place. They have a yearly tournament called King of DDT which is usually great. They have their beer garden festival which they just have weird matches and seem like really fun shows. They're usually not filmed or when they are they're clipped. You can pretty much just pick out a random show on IVP and it'll be good.

FREEDOMS I thought was ran by Takashi Sasaki, but it's pretty much a deathmatch promotion where some lesser known guys or guys that don't do deathmatches often have matches. BJW usually reserves their deathmatchs for their BJW title matches and what not. Its a fun promotion. I once saw a scramble barbed wire bat match that involved Ricki Fuji, the Great Kojika, and Dino.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Does anyone have a good site for Puro themes? Specifically looking for Dragon Gate, specifically looking for whatever Naruki Doi and Ricochet came out to on the last big show.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Half hour documentary on puro which manages to be about 90% accurate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAPa4lgr5M

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Does anyone have a good site for Puro themes? Specifically looking for Dragon Gate, specifically looking for whatever Naruki Doi and Ricochet came out to on the last big show.

when I've ripped some to put onto my PS3 for WWE games I just find a video on YouTube and then use a youtube downloader page.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Ditch posted:

Half hour documentary on puro which manages to be about 90% accurate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAPa4lgr5M
Cool video. Now we have video proof at 18:25 that translation of Puro is not needed. Also, it seemed to imply that Pancrase was still around. Are they?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Cool video. Now we have video proof at 18:25 that translation of Puro is not needed. Also, it seemed to imply that Pancrase was still around. Are they?
They're active but Funaki hasn't fought since 2008. I'm pretty sure he did a recent shoot-themed match but I don't know where or when.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Ditch posted:

They're active but Funaki hasn't fought since 2008. I'm pretty sure he did a recent shoot-themed match but I don't know where or when.

Volk Han, apparently. Don't think it was taped.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's not the one I was thinking of. And this clip clearly wasn't him vs Han.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tiger Mask and Liger are the new GHC Jr tag champs. That's now 4 tag championships I think held by NJPW guys from outside NJPW itself (CMLL tag titles, GHC tag+jr tag, ROH tag titles).