Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You can just not immediately negotiate with the demon you want if you're afraid of reprisal. What I started doing what wiping out all the enemies but the one I wanted, then skipping turns until it got back to Flynn then talked to it. So if I gently caress up, I don't get hit as hard. And I think negotiation is way easier now, I'm starting to learn how to game certain personalities like the old man or the super greedy mature type (but not the greedy kid)

vvv Oh yeah, totally. If I give 'em 2 or 3 piddly simple things (small macca, hp, mp) then just leave I'd say I usually get them to come with.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Giving them two things and then ending the conversation seems to work almost all the time, so you should go with that. I've been hosed over way more by giving more than by giving less.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

fount of knowledge posted:

Eugh, as much as I'm loving playing SMTIV, it reminds me so much why I dislike Demon Negotiation as a gameplay mechanic. Even though the demons feel a little more consistent in this game than in previous installments, it still feels like a total crapshoot whether a demon joins me or not, and with no VIT stat, when they don't the punishment is HARSH.

What? I'm having an incredibly easy time, I throw a bit of chump change at them, give a life stone, cheat them a little and then end the conversation in their faces and they're all over my hot samurai rear end. Plus, the benefits from apps makes you make almost all it back, and you get bonus exp for recruiting, and I usually end up recruiting too many demons for my own good.

Demon negotiation ain't poo poo. :whatup:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Thanks for the advice, guys. I played through a little more, and all of you are right, once you get into the swing of things it does seem to flow a lot more to your benefit (Also getting into the mentality of "Go gently caress yourself, demon" really does work a lot more consistently than I expected, but shame on me for not remembering that from Nocturne). Negotiation in this game is handled way, way better than some of the other SMT games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.ibtimes.com/atlus-prize-asset-index-corp-bankruptcy-sale-will-hardware-manufacturer-nintendo-acquire-software

According to this site, Nintendo is the top contender to buy Atlus. Apparently the sale is supposed to complete before the 28th, when the stock is to be delisted. Whoever gets Atlus, we'll know soon enough.

E: also, because of the whole time difference thing, it's Monday morning in Japan as of this post, so things could happen anytime.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 22, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

That's a dude talking entirely out of his rear end. There doesn't seem to be any actual evidence there, just a guy saying probably I guess?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That article didn't really tell us much we don't already know (except the July 28th date, I suppose.)

Nintendo picking up Atlus is one of the worse outcomes I can think of. I'd rather Atlus get picked up by a third party willing to let them keep doing what they're doing (mostly because I like playing Atlus games on my Vita just as much as I like playing them on my DS.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

That article didn't really tell us much we don't already know (except the July 28th date, I suppose.)

Nintendo picking up Atlus is one of the worse outcomes I can think of. I'd rather Atlus get picked up by a third party willing to let them keep doing what they're doing (mostly because I like playing Atlus games on my Vita just as much as I like playing them on my DS.)

I don't know. There aren't a lot of third parties out there who I can imagine letting Atlus keep doing what they're doing. I'd rather Nintendo pick them up and let them keep making the same games than Capcom do it and decide we need a reboot of SMT as a third-person shooter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. There aren't a lot of third parties out there who I can imagine letting Atlus keep doing what they're doing. I'd rather Nintendo pick them up and let them keep making the same games than Capcom do it and decide we need a reboot of SMT as a third-person shooter.

I like to think there's someone out there who sees a profitable developer and is willing to just let them keep doing what they're doing, but you're honestly probably right.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm sure it'll come down to Nintendo or Sony.

In the end I'll accept either but I really would vastly prefer it going to Sony if it had to be one of the two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In the end I'll accept either but I really would vastly prefer it going to Sony if it had to be one of the two.

My only problem with it going to Sony is that means we probably don't get Fire Emblem x Megaten and gently caress that. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't want that coming out because I don't want to buy a Wii U and I know I will the second they announce a release date. :negative:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, looking at the article now, it's an opinion piece. At least it is someone who writes about business things. The Bloomberg article referenced did mention the 28th as the delisting day but therw is hardly anyone talking about it from a business sense in the western world outside of suddenly having a stock drop to $.78 from $17

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

And what about all the games Atlus localizes, and the publishing they do for smaller groups?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It would suck to play Devil Survivor with a single screen, but yeah. A lot of franchises they develop I'd prefer on Vita.

My major concern with Sony is that they'd completely kill Atlus off after a disappointing release. Then again, if they're willing to let Atlus continue being Atlus, that may not be a concern.

Policenaut posted:

And what about all the games Atlus localizes, and the publishing they do for smaller groups?

Just how directly connected to Index is Atlus USA?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just say it, don't be afraid. Zenimax and Bethesda.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd love for Nintendo to buy them, since their games seem to work best on handheld systems and I don't want to buy a Vita.

edit: Also, if Sony did buy them, wouldn't they still have to make FE x SMT? It's a deal between the two companies, so it'd be odd for them to pull out like that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Momomo posted:

I'd love for Nintendo to buy them, since their games seem to work best on handheld systems and I don't want to buy a Vita.

On the other hand, SMT5 on PS4. :swoon:

Momomo posted:

edit: Also, if Sony did buy them, wouldn't they still have to make FE x SMT? It's a deal between the two companies, so it'd be odd for them to pull out like that.

That would be strange, yeah.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Momomo posted:

Yeah, this right here is why I want Nintendo to buy them. Death to console JRPGS.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
If a first party company had to buy them I'd rather it be Sony since it seems more things come over to America with Sony consoles than Nintendo ones

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I really want to know more about this too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fungah! posted:

Yeah, this right here is why I want Nintendo to buy them. Death to console JRPGS.

I want Nintendo to buy them just to witness the massive shitstorm when Persona 5 is announced as Wii U exclusive. Otherwise I'm ambivalent. I just hope whoever gets them doesn't change too much.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

MotU posted:

If a first party company had to buy them I'd rather it be Sony since it seems more things come over to America with Sony consoles than Nintendo ones

Obviously Nintendo is changing their tune about this, at least with Atlus. I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised at all the promotion Nintendo was giving to them, from the Nintendo direct spotlights, and the special promotion with fire emblem and whatnot. All for a franchise whose last game was made ten years ago. I mean hell, I remember seeing that first teaser hit youtube and was actually questioning whether this game was gonna hit the states at all. Also that survey for the 30 dollar credit asked some pretty pointed questions, like they're gearing up to make a play for the m-rated demographic. I don't THINK Nintendo would buy them but I sure wouldn't be surprised.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From what I'm gathering. Atlus USA hasn't actually existed since 2010, and it's legally been called Index Digital Media, Inc. The US company is a subsidiary of the overall Index corporation. As a subsidiary, that means Index corp holds all or most of the stock in Index Digital Media, but the company itself is not necessarily Index corp. Atlus is just a brand name of Index Corp now.

From that point, it looks like the day to day operations of Index Digital Media aren't affected by the Index Corp issues, but whoever buys the Atlus Brand controls the spice SMT IP, and can decide what systems to develop for.

E: I guess the person buying the Atlus brand could even decide they're taking their production in house and what we know of as Atlus USA today might not even be used ever again for anything in the SMT series.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 22, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The buyer doesn't actually have to be someone in the video game industry.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I want Nintendo to buy them just to witness the massive shitstorm when Persona 5 is announced as Wii U exclusive. Otherwise I'm ambivalent. I just hope whoever gets them doesn't change too much.

I hope sony gets it just to see the even bigger poo poo storm of P5 being vita exclusive. Can you imagine the nerd rage?

It would also be a pretty big system seller considering how well golden sold.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
If Nintendo buys them, they better just make them keep developing for the 3DS, because there are not enough SMT games in the world to make me buy a WiiU.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People seem to forget that Atlus makes poo poo BEYOND SMT stuff, I'd hate to say that outlet squashed, I'd sure as gently caress hate to see them saddled with Nintendo of all companies.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Alteisen posted:

People seem to forget that Atlus makes poo poo BEYOND SMT stuff, I'd hate to say that outlet squashed, I'd sure as gently caress hate to see them saddled with Nintendo of all companies.

Yes, like Trauma Center, Radiant Historia, and Etrian Odyssey...all of which are exclusive to Nintendo platforms. I mean, I'd hate to see them bought by a first party publisher if it could be avoided, but Nintendo is probably the best one to do it if it had to happen.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They also own the Power Instinct series. You know, that wacky fighting game that has old ladies and a guy in a dog costume as fighters. Maybe they can make a new one of those perhaps.

W.T. Fits posted:

I hope Square Enix snaps them up... then just lets them keep on doing what they've been doing.

A future of awful cell phone ports of their SMT and Persona games, and SquareEnix telling shareholders that Atlus games have been underperforming.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 22, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I hope Square Enix snaps them up... then just lets them keep on doing what they've been doing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't Square doing pretty bad financially these days?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Artix posted:

Yes, like Trauma Center, Radiant Historia, and Etrian Odyssey...all of which are exclusive to Nintendo platforms. I mean, I'd hate to see them bought by a first party publisher if it could be avoided, but Nintendo is probably the best one to do it if it had to happen.

Trauma Center, the franchise that hasn't had a new entry since 2010 and Radiant History, which I'm fairly sure is never getting a sequel don't exactly seem like good hitching posts to try and convert a company which creates their own titles, publishes smaller groups', and localizes foreign titles across a half-dozen other platforms to a system where they focus entirely on two.

What's probably going to happen is some other Japanese holding corp is going to buy them and they'll just keep doing what they're doing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Artix posted:

Hasn't been a Trauma Center in years, Radiant was a one shot, like Grim Grimoire and Odin's Sphere AND the upcoming Dragon's Crown. The only thing you mentioned that's an actual franchise is Etrian.

Oh yea Catherine, another of Atluses little off-shots, also practice for HD titles, you really think they'd be able to keep this kind of yearly output under Nintendo? Please. Not to mention the publishing duties they do for other studios. We wouldn't have Disgaea or Demon Souls if it wasn't for Atlus.

quote:

Or they'd completely gut and destroy all of their franchises like they did with most of Enix's stuff.

Also insanely expensive IOS ports.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't Square doing pretty bad financially these days?

Yeah, they're not doing so hot. FFXIV vanilla was a catastrophic money-sink, I don't think 13 or 13-2 hit sales expectations, and apart from Deus Ex: HR and Tomb Raider (which also apparently didn't hit expectations, despite selling a million billion copies each) they've got sweet gently caress-all else to show aside from lovely phone games and stupidly expensive iOS ports. They're not near bankruptcy or anything, but I doubt they'd have the money to invest in buying a third-party studio.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Alteisen posted:

Oh yea Catherine, another of Atluses little off-shots, also practice for HD titles, you really think they'd be able to keep this kind of yearly output under Nintendo? Please.

I hope EA or Activision buys them so they can churn out new Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games every year with little to no changes and questionable quality control. Or would if the first release of each game didn't underperform and now they're dead.

Thankfully we live in a world where EA and Activision won't bother with niche Japanese properties, but we have to live in this horrible reality where Nintendo could potentially get games on their platforms.

VVV In a thread where people are wishing for X Company to buy Atlus for nerd rage potential, my reaction is pretty tame.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 22, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury Crusader posted:

I hope EA or Activision buys them so they can churn out new Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games every year with little to no changes and questionable quality control. Or would if the first release of each game didn't underperform and now they're dead.

Classic kneejerk goon response, kudos to you friend. :thumbsup:

Also if memory serves me right, I'm pretty sure there's a law regarding some American company buying a Japanese company like that.

quote:

but we have to live in this horrible reality where Nintendo could potentially get games on their platforms.

I don't have an issue with Nintendo getting games, I have an issue with them being exclusive to Nintendo.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are there that many precedents for developers (Japanese or whatever) getting bought out by foreign publishers?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Are there that many precedents for developers (Japanese or whatever) getting bought out by foreign publishers?

Aren't Eidos straight up owned by SquareEnix?

Alteisen posted:

I don't have an issue with Nintendo getting games, I have an issue with them being exclusive to Nintendo.

Fair enough. There are other parts of the internet in which people would rather Atlus die than have Nintendo even entertain the thought of potentially buying them. :allears:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The biggest risk is really just having a brain drain if they got sold off to someone who the developers don't like. I'm thinking like if a company that wants to focus them on mobile games (such as Square enix) and half their teams just say NOPE and move on.

lovely situation, really had hoped Index's reorg plans wouldn't have involved this step.