Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So how does DW8 stack up against Orochi 3? I loved WO3.

For that matter, any good words on Dynasty Tactics 2? I liked what I saw; chains of moves pushing units around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

So how does DW8 stack up against Orochi 3? I loved WO3.
I think it's now the best Musou game, and Orochi 3 is the second best, given that I played the hell out of both of them.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

My frustration level with 8 is lower than with Orochi 3 (HIMIKO! Stop stunlocking me to death with your friggin Musou!). Although the friendly ai/pathfinding in this is... worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7rm79r7up8 I had Liu Bei doing that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXaP3AXfrc RESOLVED! (not my videos... found em on Koei's facebook of all things).

I will say that there does seem to be a few issues with spell checkers, I was supposed to "defat" an enemy and Xingcai is apparently all one word on certain levels.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

By default, you get the historical ending for a story by playing it normally. Once you get that, you can see the special conditions that appear on stages in that story. There will be at least a few that affect a particular battle in some ambiguous way; once you have them all, you can play either the historical version of that battle or the hypothetical one, which lead to different sets of stages and endings. Luckily for you, all you have to do is replay the stage in question and fulfill the condition to earn the star associated with it. Redoing the whole story is unnecessary.

How do I see if I completed it hypothetically, or if the stage has a hypothetical outcome?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MotU posted:

How do I see if I completed it hypothetically, or if the stage has a hypothetical outcome?
The only clear way to know it is after the fact, on the story list there will be an empty check box on that stage. Inside the stage, a character will say something like "if only I had been a little faster, he would have survived!" or something.

edit: and then, when it's actually time to split off into the what if branch of the story, there will be an extra cutscene where someone who was supposed to be dead will show up, and then there will be two people you can talk to to start the stage and who you talk to determines which route you go on.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 21, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The "one word" bit is intentional and was done in Warriors Orochi 3 as well (Zhenji, Yueying, Zhurong, Diaochan, Lianshi, Daqiao and Xiaoqiao are also correct*), but yeah I've heard of multiple typos and other localization errors in DW8.

* Zhenji, Daqiao and Xiaoqiao aren't given names; they're respectively "Lady Zhen", "Elder Qiao" and "Younger Qiao".

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only clear way to know it is after the fact, on the story list there will be an empty check box on that stage. Inside the stage, a character will say something like "if only I had been a little faster, he would have survived!" or something.

edit: and then, when it's actually time to split off into the what if branch of the story, there will be an extra cutscene where someone who was supposed to be dead will show up, and then there will be two people you can talk to to start the stage and who you talk to determines which route you go on.

Oh I didn't even know there was a "Select Stage" in story mode! I was looking in Free Mode very confused. Thanks

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Well it bugs me because in other instances she has two names, only in that one stage did she lose the space.

Ah, I see what you mean about the "you can go back and save people" stuff. I pulled up the website I've been looking at. Although I'm unsure how some of the preventable deaths are... preventable.

Note, that has massive spoilers if that's something you care about.

Calax fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 21, 2013

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There's also this detailed guide for unlocking Hypotheticals.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gyoru posted:

There's also this detailed guide for unlocking Hypotheticals.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/
"Hypothetical" makes it sound so high class and well thought out, rather than what it is, "If I wrote this story than everyone on my side would be SUPER AWESOME and totally clobber everyone else!"

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So basically all four "what-if" paths are basically the official equivalent of horrible fanfiction like so many other licensed properties?

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
They're pretty much all 'What if all the important people who died prior to this pivotal event were still alive and turned the tide'. I've only seen the Wei and Wu ones so far, the Wei one actually isn't too bad, but man, the Wu one is pretty dumb.

What's everybody's favorite move-set so far? I'm really digging Lu Su and his rake of all things. Xiahou Yuan's Bow + Mace is amazing too, it just feels right and is hilariously over the top. Really, I've only run into a few weapons I didn't really like, the rest had me thinking that had they been in previous DW games, they'd have been among the most powerful in the game. Makes me wonder what Lu Bu's halberd is going to be like.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

There are a couple that feel kinda clunky, mostly because of how much their charge attacks send you careening around the place.

Specifically the Guan Xing's, and Lu Xux's. Also, this may just be me, but the tri-staff thing that Ling Tong uses (it's 4 am) can be finnicky because a couple of it's attacks are "hit a grand total of one yahoo and toss him.

The only other major annoyance is the Tonfas, You go into a charge attack, and if you hit the regular attack to fast it cancels the attack completely.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
One good thing about the Wu What If is Sun Jian. He basically treats any battle he's in after the first like hes on a retirement vacation, just showing up and having a blast. Hell, his first mission after surviving has him and Huang Gai treating attacking the supply depot and flanking the base like they're going for golf or something.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The GIG posted:

One good thing about the Wu What If is Sun Jian. He basically treats any battle he's in after the first like hes on a retirement vacation, just showing up and having a blast. Hell, his first mission after surviving has him and Huang Gai treating attacking the supply depot and flanking the base like they're going for golf or something.

Fictional characterizations (at least the good ones) of these people are the second most fun part about the series. Sima Yi and Zhang Chunhua have an entire stage dedicated to being angry old people telling kids to get off their lawn! The first being dunking dudes, of course.

Any recommendations for stages/difficulties/weapons/character selections for obtaining trophies like the Switch Counter one and the 10-second juggle one? I always think I can get them on the way while doing stages normally but I get too distracted and forget about working on them a lot.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm still not very far into the game as of now, but I think I can safely say 8 is the first DW game that I've liked after trying it (WO3 doesn't count). That sounds like faint praise, but I really am having fun and doing a reasonable job of not getting lost/bored.

Questions:
-Can I save progress in multiple kingdoms' storylines? I know I could figure it figure it out myself, but I don't want to lose my Jin progress if I'm wrong.
-Why am I only unlocking skills on the first skill category?

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 21, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I'm still not very far into the game as of now, but I think I can safely say 8 is the first DW game that I've liked after trying it (WO3 doesn't count). That sounds like faint praise, but I really am having fun and doing a reasonable job of not getting lost/bored.

Questions:
-Can I save progress in multiple kingdoms' storylines? I know I could figure it figure it out myself, but I don't want to lose my Jin progress if I'm wrong.
-Why am I only unlocking skills on the first skill category?

It tells you why on the skills. They need certain characters to reach level 50.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

You can always start again where you left off from stage select

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Questions:
If you play another storyline, you'll keep your progress. But interim saves are lost (obviously).

Each story is basically treated as it's own thing, I did Wu and Wei at the same time, made things a LOT easier overall because you get the other teams weapons faster.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

PureRok posted:

It tells you why on the skills. They need certain characters to reach level 50.

Thanks and sorry for missing the obvious. I also know the answer to my first question as well, which was equally unnecessary.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I didn't notice any discussion on this earlier in the thread, but is there any consensus on how Bladestorm is? Thinking I might give it a shot after I'm done with DW8, but I can't find much information on it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I really like Bladestorm but it's slower and more careful. Rather than rocketing through enemies in an action style, you're running around commanding sets of troops to attack. The main thrust of the play is getting the right troops on hand to face off against whatever you're fighting, and switching between troop types as needed to chase after that. There aren't a lot of mechanics - most battles involve running head first into the enemy - but it's just chill and different.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Silvergun1000 posted:

I didn't notice any discussion on this earlier in the thread, but is there any consensus on how Bladestorm is? Thinking I might give it a shot after I'm done with DW8, but I can't find much information on it.

It's pretty alright, a lot more tactical and less actiony, the biggest thing is that there's a hilarious amount of grinding involved at it's core.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't it pre-trophy? Is the version they are selling now updated to include trophies?

I mean, if not, that means it IS okay to sell pre-trophy games on the PSN, which means Yakuza Kenzan in English isn't as impossible as I thought. It's just regular impossible, not double impossible.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No, Bladestorm doesn't have trophies. They do sell pre-trophy games on the PSN.

Yakuza Kenzan is screwed because it's an even nicher spinoff of a super niche franchise that's dated as hell and completely clashes with the marketing that Sega of America pitches to people.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

The GIG posted:

It's pretty alright, a lot more tactical and less actiony, the biggest thing is that there's a hilarious amount of grinding involved at it's core.

So it's basically Kingdom Under Fire then? I think I can live with that (especially since I'm a huge Hundred Years' War nerd).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been playing DW8. Good to see Zhang Liao is still a glorious wrecking ball.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

No, Bladestorm doesn't have trophies. They do sell pre-trophy games on the PSN.

Yakuza Kenzan is screwed because it's an even nicher spinoff of a super niche franchise that's dated as hell and completely clashes with the marketing that Sega of America pitches to people.
I was just playing Kenzan again recently and I wouldn't say it looks or plays any more dated than the newest Yakuza games. They just haven't come very far graphically or gameplay-wise from the earliest ones, to be honest. Same as the Musou games.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Playing as Dong Zhuo is so much fun.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
I know it's early days still, and there's a ton of content in the base game - but is there any word on "Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends," yet?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ScottyBomb posted:

I know it's early days still, and there's a ton of content in the base game - but is there any word on "Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends," yet?
Well, I assume there will be eventually, but it's been out for several months in Japan and no word from it there either.

I have no clue who they would add, but I guess they always think of someone.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

ScottyBomb posted:

No but it will probably happen.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I assume there will be eventually, but it's been out for several months in Japan and no word from it there either.

I have no clue who they would add, but I guess they always think of someone.

Chen Gong won that contest thing so probably him.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

The GIG posted:

Chen Gong won that contest thing so probably him.

I'd be cool with Chen Gong joining the cast. Actually, I'd be okay with a few new "Other" characters. There are quite a few neat stories in the series that involve characters from outside the four main factions.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

If he acts like he did in 6 then I'm all for it. In fact a few of the important generics in 6 and 7 would be nice to see.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I'd like some new Other characters. They haven't added any since DW2.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
:stare: Just got the Heavenly Swords on hard playing through the Shu campaign. I hadn't been able to complete any mission in one go until now but I just killed every officer on this map.

vv yes

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Would that be Liu Bei's moveset?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

OatmealRaisin posted:

I'd like some new Other characters. They haven't added any since DW2.

Well they added Mung Huo and Zhurong in 3 and Zuo Ci in 5, so you're a bit wrong. But yes, there needs to be more Others. Some that come to mind are Chen Gong, Ma Teng, and Gongsun Zan.

I'd still like to See Yu Jin and Xun You for Wei as well.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me, or is the story of 7 vastly superior than it is in 8? I just finished the Wei campaign, and first off it just ended really abruptly I thought, but overall I thought it was a kind of incoherent mess. It felt like they jumped around too much, and never really explained much or gave the motivation for what the hell was going on. A lot of the events were portrayed really half-assed I thought as well... for instant the Dian Wei death battle was terrible compared to 7. The Zhang Liao kills 5 billion men fight was atrocious, those two new Wei characters in that fight are like two of the worst characters in the entire game.

I mean, the game kicks total rear end, and feels amazing to play, I just wish the whole narrative was as tight as it was in 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

abagofcheetos posted:

Is it just me, or is the story of 7 vastly superior than it is in 8? I just finished the Wei campaign, and first off it just ended really abruptly I thought, but overall I thought it was a kind of incoherent mess. It felt like they jumped around too much, and never really explained much or gave the motivation for what the hell was going on. A lot of the events were portrayed really half-assed I thought as well... for instant the Dian Wei death battle was terrible compared to 7. The Zhang Liao kills 5 billion men fight was atrocious, those two new Wei characters in that fight are like two of the worst characters in the entire game.

I mean, the game kicks total rear end, and feels amazing to play, I just wish the whole narrative was as tight as it was in 7.

I have to say I liked what I played of the Wei campaign better in 7, story wise. The gameplay is much better though so I suppose it balances out.