Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
One of the guys I train with put up a video series on leglocks:

http://m.howcast.com/guides/1046-How-to-Do-Leg-Locks

Might be especially useful for BJJ guys looking to cross-compete under rule sets where reaping is allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I used to run and lift every day before jiu jitsu before my spine injuries.

Post injuries, now I'm all Kenny Powers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns6YSvCsVJM

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One of the guys I train with put up a video series on leglocks:

http://m.howcast.com/guides/1046-How-to-Do-Leg-Locks

Might be especially useful for BJJ guys looking to cross-compete under rule sets where reaping is allowed.

Nice videos.

Speaking of leglocks, I just came across this video, featuring the owner of my gym showing various leglocks. The first technique is pretty neat. I wonder if it would work in a serious competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ic2Nm8GGog

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Not a chance, the guy would have to be asleep to get caught by that (I'm totally going to try it).

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I got some free tickets to go see the judo finals at the European Youth Olympic Festival tomorrow. Never heard of this event before, worth going to check it out? I'm not usually really into spectating sports, I just like doing them.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

Nice videos.

Speaking of leglocks, I just came across this video, featuring the owner of my gym showing various leglocks. The first technique is pretty neat. I wonder if it would work in a serious competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ic2Nm8GGog

that first one is horseshit that won't work on any (even new) people. Even if they feel the pressure they can just open guard and relock.

edit; wait no, WTF, that guy should never get his legs on your guard like that, what the gently caress kind of amateur hour is this?

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 19, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Considering how often beginners cross their ankles when in backmount and end up tapping out due to ankle locks from there, I'm sure you could catch beginners off guard with that one as well- once. Still, weird addition to an instructional.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Completely sacrificing your base while in full guard is kind of a good way to get swept, too. The submission is sound in that if you can get it it does attack the ankles, but it's situational at best.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Completely sacrificing your base while in full guard is kind of a good way to get swept, too. The submission is sound in that if you can get it it does attack the ankles, but it's situational at best.

I kind of suspected that, but it does look pretty cool, even if it will ever really be used as a sort of party trick during a demonstration.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
The submission is sound, the way to achieve the position (the only way it seems) is not.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
Is shrinking in the wash a big enough problem that, when buying a gi, I should aim for a full size or half size larger than expected? I'm using fujisport's sizing, http://www.fujisports.com/SizeChart.aspx , and am 5'11" and 206 pounds, so I was aiming for a size 5. Should I buy a 5.5 or 6? or is the range on a single size large enough that I shouldn't worry?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
if you wash on cold and air dry you'll get zero shrinkage. If you want to shrink it, generally its wash then dry while checking it every 15-30 min.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Having a gi on the small side is generally preferable too, competition-wise.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The documentary my coach produced on the fight to legalize MMA in New York is up on Hulu. It's framed from the perspective of one of my teammates, an aspiring pro MMA fighter (same guy who made those leglock videos I linked earlier). Might be interesting to some of you, it's a pretty entertaining watch.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/502123

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

The 19th Person posted:

Is shrinking in the wash a big enough problem that, when buying a gi, I should aim for a full size or half size larger than expected? I'm using fujisport's sizing, http://www.fujisports.com/SizeChart.aspx , and am 5'11" and 206 pounds, so I was aiming for a size 5. Should I buy a 5.5 or 6? or is the range on a single size large enough that I shouldn't worry?

I bought an A6, and its laughably large. Length is about right for me (6'4"), but its like wearing a tent, and I weigh 220 or so. It didn't shrink noticeably and I wash and dry it hot constantly.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
My school's having a Mark Henry seminar this Sunday and I'm pretty excited (because Frankie Edgar is the loving greatest).

That said, I'm Muay Thai novice at very best, having had maybe a dozen classes total. Any last minute tips for making the most of what will be a guaranteed total overwhelming information overload for me? I figure that if I can grasp at least a couple new key ideas that'll be worth the price of admission.

On the plus side my conditioning is not bad and I shouldn't be too hopelessly gassed. Just wish I knew poo poo about striking.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

The 19th Person posted:

Most gi companies assume some shrinkage in their size chart. I'd be surprised if an a-4 didn't fit you ok

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What do you guys think of martial arts that use weapons, like eskrima/kali?

I ask cause I found out my friend's friend runs a dojo that teaches that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Interweb posted:

What do you guys think of martial arts that use weapons, like eskrima/kali?
I ask cause I found out my friend's friend runs a dojo that teaches that.
It's not great for self defense, for the same reasons that training combat sport martial arts doesn't prepare you well for self defense.
For sport, some schools don't have the equipment/philosophy to let you train live or at real speed.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I did Arnis (Northern style Escrima) for a couple of years as a teenager, and it was fun to learn all the cool looking stick and machete moves.
The pocket stick exercises were neat, and most of the disarming stuff even worked against a resisting opponent.

The unarmed part was utterly useless though, and training was not really that exhausting, like most TMA I guess.
The head datu of the German federation looked like a fat accountant, with a serious beer belly, which made his instructional videos look really goofy.
In the end I guess I'd say it's like most TMA, fun but don't take it too seriously..

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Martial arts with weapons normaly seem a bit silly to me. They tend to go a bit to far towards LARP territory. But they can provbably be pretty fun. Just try it and see what you think.

I must admit I'm a little fascinated by the Dog Brothers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CELN-DQI5qc

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The mere fact that there are dudes competing wearing kilts tells me all I need to know about Dog Brothers.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, they also call themselves a tribe and give each other dog nick names, so they strive hard to look as silly as possible. But they do seem to try and actually fight with their sticks, instead of just pretending to.

Silly, but I'm still a bit fascinated.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The 19th Person posted:

My first gi (an Aussie Power a5) fit me originally, but shrank a fair bit despite only washing cold and air drying. That's cool, since I shrank considerably (round the stomach, anyway) in the 8 months that I wore it twice a week.

Wash cold, and Fuji gis don't seem to shrink much at all, but I'm no expert. That said, I think a Fuji A5 will be significantly too big for you. I'm currently 6'3", 270lbs*. My Fuji summerweight A5 is slightly big on me (especially in sleeve and leg length, and the pants waist is huge).

Pics of the size on me after 5 months of 2x per week usage, washed cold and air dried:

*Yes, I'm fat, that's the primary reason I do BJJ. I lost 45lbs in my first 6 months, and am losing more after putting 10lb back on when I was injured.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 20, 2013

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

niethan posted:

The mere fact that there are dudes competing wearing kilts tells me all I need to know about Dog Brothers.

They've gotten steadily weirder over the last decade.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I watched a Dog Brothers DVD. The knife and gun disarms were actually very believable, and they trained them under pressure, taught a bunch of situational awareness stuff and said straight up that the knife disarms would only work a small portion of the time. All the weapon stuff looked pretty cool, and I like that they cross-train in BJJ, but the standing striking looked lovely. The idea was that what they were teaching would be a consistent system between guns, knives and empty hand, and the side effect of that 'consistency' was that it looked pretty silly when it came to empty hand. They seem like dorky weirdos, but I didn't dislike what I saw.

This was "die less often" which is pretty old, I think. Also their head guy is weird. He constantly preaches the avoidance of knife violence but he clearly has a weird knife fetish and clearly walks around covered in concealed knives 24/7.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Most gi companies assume some shrinkage in their size chart. I'd be surprised if an a-4 didn't fit you ok

AlphaDog posted:

Wash cold, and Fuji gis don't seem to shrink much at all, but I'm no expert. That said, I think a Fuji A5 will be significantly too big for you. I'm currently 6'3", 270lbs*. My Fuji summerweight A5 is slightly big on me (especially in sleeve and leg length, and the pants waist is huge).

I could be wrong, but I think 19th Person is talking about judo gis and you guys are giving him BJJ gi sizes, which are very different.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I could be wrong, but I think 19th Person is talking about judo gis and you guys are giving him BJJ gi sizes, which are very different.

Ah, yeah. poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I watched a Dog Brothers DVD. The knife and gun disarms were actually very believable, and they trained them under pressure, taught a bunch of situational awareness stuff and said straight up that the knife disarms would only work a small portion of the time. All the weapon stuff looked pretty cool, and I like that they cross-train in BJJ, but the standing striking looked lovely. The idea was that what they were teaching would be a consistent system between guns, knives and empty hand, and the side effect of that 'consistency' was that it looked pretty silly when it came to empty hand. They seem like dorky weirdos, but I didn't dislike what I saw.

This was "die less often" which is pretty old, I think. Also their head guy is weird. He constantly preaches the avoidance of knife violence but he clearly has a weird knife fetish and clearly walks around covered in concealed knives 24/7.

Don't trust anyone who carries a weapon who isn't also aware of the importance of avoiding violence.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The-Mole posted:

Don't trust anyone who carries a weapon

Too true good buddy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Novum posted:

Too true good buddy.

I like your version more, seriously.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah from what I've heard there the best at a bad martial art philosophy. Weapon training can be fun and kind of cool I used to have an instructor who'd do ten minutes with Kali sticks after the main class had finished. I did it just as a warm down. It was fun but I wouldn't do it for an hour or more at a time in place of BJJ or something else.

Also on Gi sizing, if anything you're better off erring on the side of Gi's being bigger than their reccomended sizing. I buy a2 gi's even though I'm a bit heavier than their listing and all of them have fit well. Fuji, Tatami, ACE.

Decades posted:

My school's having a Mark Henry seminar this Sunday and I'm pretty excited (because Frankie Edgar is the loving greatest).

That said, I'm Muay Thai novice at very best, having had maybe a dozen classes total. Any last minute tips for making the most of what will be a guaranteed total overwhelming information overload for me? I figure that if I can grasp at least a couple new key ideas that'll be worth the price of admission.

On the plus side my conditioning is not bad and I shouldn't be too hopelessly gassed. Just wish I knew poo poo about striking.

You'll probably be surprised at how the seminar is a little easier than you expected. Most of them are no different to a normal class just a different teacher who'll have some tweaks to what you normally do. It's not going to be a massive mind gently caress. If you don't understand something sing out and ask for some clarification, you're paying too and they'll have had bigger novices then you rock up to their seiminars.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 22, 2013

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

BlindSite posted:

You'll probably be surprised at how the seminar is a little easier than you expected. Most of them are no different to a normal class just a different teacher who'll have some tweaks to what you normally do. It's not going to be a massive mind gently caress. If you don't understand something sing out and ask for some clarification, you're paying too and they'll have had bigger novices then you rock up to their seiminars.

This proved true enough for the most part. Our regular class is generally split into basic and advanced and the stuff we did today was probably along the lines of advanced class complexity, which was still a step up for me. 6 or 7 part combinations rather than 3 or 4. But besides the best parts were probably Mark's extended technical tangents during and in between the drilling. He's a real chill funny guy. All in all it was a great time and I made good progress I think.

Part of the reason I expected the mind gently caress was that I was pretty seriously overwhelmed by a Ricardo Almeida seminar earlier in the year (and I'm more experienced with grappling than striking). It was definitely cool but just soooo much information.

Maybe bjj / sub grappling is just more complex than striking? Or maybe I just still don't know poo poo about kickboxing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Decades posted:

This proved true enough for the most part. Our regular class is generally split into basic and advanced and the stuff we did today was probably along the lines of advanced class complexity, which was still a step up for me. 6 or 7 part combinations rather than 3 or 4. But besides the best parts were probably Mark's extended technical tangents during and in between the drilling. He's a real chill funny guy. All in all it was a great time and I made good progress I think.

Part of the reason I expected the mind gently caress was that I was pretty seriously overwhelmed by a Ricardo Almeida seminar earlier in the year (and I'm more experienced with grappling than striking). It was definitely cool but just soooo much information.

Maybe bjj / sub grappling is just more complex than striking? Or maybe I just still don't know poo poo about kickboxing.

I've done plenty of both and they're just different. I picked up throwing punches and kicks a little faster than I did the BJJ basics, but once you are able to relax and get the basics down smoothly they flow pretty evenly. Some people just find they have a better aptitude for one over the other I think.

I think the bigger learning curve in both is in finding what works best for you and building a game around that. I could spend years on my guard work for BJJ but because of my build I'm better off playing a top game and I've found that I'm better off drilling more sweeps, getting back to guard and passes than trying to build a submission offense from guard and half guard. Similarly I've found that because I'm short in reach but have good movement and footwork, I can slip punches and throw well inside, so I work more on that than anything else.

I still train submissions from guard and fighting outside in striking but I think half the battle in becoming proficent at grappling and in striking is about learning what techniques are most effective for you not just learning techniques.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just found out Andre Galvao is doing a seminar at our school next month. I'm guessing this will be awesome and I should go, anyone here been to one of his before?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQcKiFy_DM

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Forget about bjj, etc...these guys got y'all beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqYAyBNk16A

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 25, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Just found out Andre Galvao is doing a seminar at our school next month. I'm guessing this will be awesome and I should go, anyone here been to one of his before?

You should go. Andre Galvao is loving amazing when he does seminars and well, he's one of the world champions of BJJ. Go. Go. Go. Send me your notes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The "grab a gun with a clapping motion" thing actually works pretty well (relatively speaking, like any self defense technique against a weapon it's not super reliable) but the way I learned it from combat sambo is generally combined with moving your body out of the way (usually by dropping your level and moving to the side)...not jerking the gun directly down into your stomach. Probably better to not go for the flashy dropkick to the legs but just get to your feet to the guy's side, lock the gun down and go for your front trips or whatever.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 25, 2013

• Locked thread