Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.

CommissarMega posted:

What is there is good, but it's obvious that the game itself (especially its the latter parts) are quite unfinished. Plot progresses way too fast for what story the game tries to tell- for example, one enemy's plot in particular is resolved in the space of less than a minute if you're good at combat, with said enemy getting a few seconds of introduction a few hours before. Basically, I'd say Mars: War Logs is a collection of good ideas shoddily executed, and I wish that the devs had more time and money to develop it- we could've had a Space Witcher or something, instead of the solidly 5.5/10 (in my opinion) game that we did get. That said, it's certainly worth $10 though, if you ask me.

Echoing here; If you like Sci-Fi RPGs this game plays mechanically like The Witcher, has a story that feels like it could be connected to a Chronicles of Riddick / Mass Effect crossover, and atmosphere of Fallout.

The game was made by a small studio so everyone should not expect a AAA experience like the games I had listed above. However, it's got a lot of good things going for it.

The plot isn't aces, but the atmosphere / unique IP universe has a lot of redeeming qualities.

Essentially, it's a new studio trying to make a Sci Fi Witcher1 style game. If this new studio continues with this IP and makes Mars 2 with the same jump that we saw from Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2, we could have something pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

It's okay as a standalone title but neither the story nor gameplay have much to do with the previous DS games. It basically feels like S/E wanted to release a Dungeon Siege title after they bought the franchise rights and asked Obsidian to slap a few throwbacks into their own half-finished IP to make it fit. The story is completely forgettable although you can make a few choices that affect the epilogue and the camera suffers horribly in multiplayer because it stays fixed onto the hosting player's character only. Loot just makes the numbers on your dude go up, nothing flashy or exciting about it. All that being said, the single-player combat is pretty fun on higher difficulties and the story is engaging enough for a full playthrough, but not much more. It's thoroughly average.

Yep, a totally decent game. Play it with a 360 controller on Hardcore and hope for a Dark Alliance type of thing. Don't come in with any expectations about Dungeon Siege or about Obsidian and I think you'll be satisfied.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
So I have recently started playing Dragon Age Origins again on the PC. Are there any mods in particular that I should use to make the experience of playing this game better?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Whatever that respec mod is, for sure.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Just picked up a copy of Romancing Saga (ps2) on the cheap.

Why didn't someone warn me about the terrible gameplay :gonk:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The SaGa in the title wasn't warning enough?

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I stand by both Saga Frontiers from the first playstation. :crossarms:

This one however barely feels like I'm even playing a game. Also, I'm a ten year old witch :gonk:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Food Guy posted:

So I have recently started playing Dragon Age Origins again on the PC. Are there any mods in particular that I should use to make the experience of playing this game better?

That one that fixes teeth, also making your dog a permanent member. Maybe the no helmet one, if you find that as distracting as me in cut scenes.

The Dragon Age thread has a bunch of ease of use mods.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

juicecube posted:

I stand by both Saga Frontiers from the first playstation. :crossarms:

This one however barely feels like I'm even playing a game. Also, I'm a ten year old witch :gonk:

You ever play Unlimited Saga?

I actually highly recommend JRPG fans with some patience(okay, a lot of patience) check out Unlimited Saga. That game is seriously crazy. I can't say you will like it; I can't even say that you won't hate it. But one thing is for sure: it won't leave you indifferent. I can't think of a single game to compare it to as a whole. Also I got a copy for like $5 or something with the case.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 21, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The SaGa in the title wasn't warning enough?

Quite the opposite, it's usually a sign of Good Game Ahead. :colbert: (Not to say it won't be flawed/slightly incomplete though :v:)

...Man, I wish they'd make a new SaGa game. Haven't heard enough Kenji Ito lately. :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only SaGa game I've actually enjoyed was Frontier 2 and that was largely on the strength of its storytelling. Unlimited Saga got microwaved to prevent it from harming anyone else.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

S-Alpha posted:

Quite the opposite, it's usually a sign of Good Game Ahead. :colbert: (Not to say it won't be flawed/slightly incomplete though :v:)

...Man, I wish they'd make a new SaGa game. Haven't heard enough Kenji Ito lately. :smith:

You could play the recently released open beta fan translation of the SaGa 3 remake. It was done pretty much from the ground up and really feels more like a modernization* of SaGa 2's mechanics.

*The mechanics do still feel somewhat dated but it's a huge step up from SaGa 2 at least.

http://www.cainsdomain.com/projects/saga-iii-translation/

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The only SaGa game I've actually enjoyed was Frontier 2 and that was largely on the strength of its storytelling. Unlimited Saga got microwaved to prevent it from harming anyone else.

In my book, SaGa Frontier 1 is pretty much my favorite RPG ever. I've :spergin:'d out over stupid stuff like sparking and combo tables until I saw charts in my head, but it never really stopped being fun for me. Each one of the six scenarios was pretty great, even if Lute's is kinda halfassed. If they had actually managed to finish that game, I can only imagine how good it would've been. :allears:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You could play the recently released open beta fan translation of the SaGa 3 remake. It was done pretty much from the ground up and really feels more like a modernization* of SaGa 2's mechanics.

What I really wish had stayed alive was the Romancing SaGa 2 translation project, as that's the one I've most wanted to try and play, but it's not quite worth learning a whole language for. Maybe someone else will pick it up someday.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You ever play Unlimited Saga?

I actually highly recommend JRPG fans with some patience(okay, a lot of patience) check out Unlimited Saga. That game is seriously crazy. I can't say you will like it; I can't even say that you won't hate it. But one thing is for sure: it won't leave you indifferent. I can't think of a single game to compare it to as a whole. Also I got a copy for like $5 or something with the case.
I think he actually is talking about Unlimited Saga since he mentions being a 10 year old witch. I was a bit confused too since Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song plays much more the usual mainline games. Also a decent game if you can get over the graphics and the usual Romancing Saga stupidity.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is The Last Remanent a good RPG? Its on sale for 3 something

looking for feedback on it before i buy it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If it's the PC version and you enjoy games with SaGa-esque elements (aka sometimes random poo poo happens for no reason) then at that price you could do a hell of a lot worse.

It's a bit flawed but I found it enjoyable.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tiny Chalupa posted:

PC version? Absolutely.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
It's a pretty great game, and the PC version comes with moire stuff to do and none of the horrible slowdown of the 360 version.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 21, 2013

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I picked up last remnant recently for 360 and can recommend it as well. Although I will say I waiting on it and didn't pay 60 bucks for it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just be aware of the Oblivion-style level scaling. It's not for everyone.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

juicecube posted:

I picked up last remnant recently for 360 and can recommend it as well.

You have no idea what you're missing out on.

PC Version has everything from the 360, but also:
- fast-forward key
- :siren: no leader limit :siren:
- no stat caps
- ability to disable a character's arts if you don't want them to use them
- much slower battle rank progression
- stats continue to go up at max BR so you're not permanently screwed
- characters in reserves will gain stats

And a ton of other poo poo. It's like night and day.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Stelas posted:

You have no idea what you're missing out on.

PC Version has everything from the 360, but also:
- fast-forward key
- :siren: no leader limit :siren:
- no stat caps
- ability to disable a character's arts if you don't want them to use them
- much slower battle rank progression
- stats continue to go up at max BR so you're not permanently screwed
- characters in reserves will gain stats

And a ton of other poo poo. It's like night and day.

Yes, Last Remnant 360 feels like a beta for the actual game on the PC. It's just so much better in every single way it's hard to even consider the 360 version the same game anymore.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Why is hyper launcher loving impossible to get in Star Ocean 2? Over 1.2M spent in attempts so far with maxed out machinery.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The combat is a bit of a headfuck, I'm trying to put some hours into the game but I keep finding myself just wanting to stop. There's just something about it that doesn't hit my buttons in the way a good ol JRPG should.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

The combat is a bit of a headfuck, I'm trying to put some hours into the game but I keep finding myself just wanting to stop. There's just something about it that doesn't hit my buttons in the way a good ol JRPG should.

I played it for a solid six hours, had a good time, turned it off, then never felt like playing it ever again.
This was years ago but I still haven't uninstalled it. It's still there, waiting for me to start playing and uncover
how the hell the battle system is supposed to work.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Renoistic posted:

I played it for a solid six hours, had a good time, turned it off, then never felt like playing it ever again.
This was years ago but I still haven't uninstalled it. It's still there, waiting for me to start playing and uncover
how the hell the battle system is supposed to work.

It takes a while to get a handle on it. For starters, you want to group party members into unions that do only one or two things. Don't mix casters and melee, disable weapon attacks for casters, and casting arts for melee fighters. That will promote more focused stat and art growth. More focus means that unions have a smaller set of orders they can carry out, which means they'll be more likely to have one that's helpful.

You will want a minimum of one healer and one reviver in each union.

Not all arts are that great. I'm not completely familiar with everything, so please correct whatever I get wrong.

Item Arts

Herb arts - Item healing arts. These are good, they're cheap and it's fast to get the Vivication Herbs which can revive KO'ed unions.
Lotions - Item healing and buff arts. The biggest problem is that the first skill is a "remove poison" lotion, which means it takes a while to level up enough so that you can get more useful lotions.
Potions - Item buff arts. - These can probably be ignored.
Traps - Status and morale debuffs.
Explosives, Shards - I never really used these, and not many party leaders seem to either.

Mystic Arts
Remedies - Mystic healing arts. Also good, it's not too far for the pretty good Revitalize healing methods, but the revive ones take longer.
Invocations - Elemental attack mystic arts. These are great, easy to level up, and new versions that you unlock are a notable step up in power.
Evocations - Non-elemental attack mystic arts. These are not so good I think, the damage isn't that great?
Hexes - Debuff attack mystic arts. These apply negative statuses, lower morale and damage enemies. These are really good, although the best one is way, way at the top of the tree. Controlling morale is CRITICAL to success in the late game, and this is the first way to influence it.
Psionics - Morale Controlling mystic arts. These offer a variety of ways to influence morale in your favour and inflict status effects. It takes a while to get these.
Wards - Defensive buff mystic arts. It takes quite a while to get these.

Combat Arts
- There's like 13 types, based on different weapons and weapon wield styles, and they can also get "Nimble" (speed) or "Mighty" (power) modifiers based on the individual character's stats. I'm not sure what those do exactly.

Special Arts
- These are rare, and are unlocked by special story events or unique quests. They come in four flavours, and they can only be used by the leader of a union. Not every character has one, and some have multiple. The types are Summons, Conjurations, Unique Arts (weapon-independent attack) and Weapon arts (requires a specific unique weapon equipped).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Each weapon has an art modifier, either Nimble/Swift or Mighty/Peerless. Nimble/Swift boosts speed, allowing you to attack sooner in your turn (Swift being more powerful of the two), and Mighty/Peerless boosts damage done. (Peerless being more powerful of the two)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kild posted:

Why is hyper launcher loving impossible to get in Star Ocean 2? Over 1.2M spent in attempts so far with maxed out machinery.

The odds of getting it are very low for some reason. Orchestra helps your chances a little with the "Hail the Goddess" song, but there's not much you can do but keep trying until you get it. Its one of the rarest items in the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kild posted:

I think the real question here is why are you using Opera instead of Ashton :colbert:

(you're supposed to buy twenty Machinery Kits and save-load)

Mill Village posted:

The odds of getting it are very low for some reason. Orchestra helps your chances a little with the "Hail the Goddess" song, but there's not much you can do but keep trying until you get it. Its one of the rarest items in the game.
Nah, there's Orchestra and there's Hail the Goddess. The former is just a flat success rate/secret skill unlock rate up and Hail the Goddess is what gives you a better chance to craft the rarest poo poo. Unfortunately, you'll still have to beat the craft DC to do it, so...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really shouldn't have fired up this goddamn game on Universe mode. It's bringing out all the worst dull spergery in me since I'm loving terrified of even the earliest enemies and am now an hour into trying to get a marvel sword out of the Mars treasure chest so that maybe I can reliably hit things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

I really shouldn't have fired up this goddamn game on Universe mode. It's bringing out all the worst dull spergery in me since I'm loving terrified of even the earliest enemies and am now an hour into trying to get a marvel sword out of the Mars treasure chest so that maybe I can reliably hit things.
gently caress dude what are you doing playing it on universe? :smith:

Pretty much the only way to hack it on that "difficulty" is to savescum your level-up bonuses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So I'm starting to realize. Might give up and go down to galaxy or say gently caress it and play earth because endless hours of savescumming really doesn't sound like a thing I want to do.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Food Guy posted:

My recommendations would be:

Character Respecialization, does what it says.

Combat Tweaks, fixes various bugs and rebalances talents, adds more spell combos.

Advanced Tactics, better programmable AI options including auto-flanking for rogues.

Improved Atmosphere, makes the game world look more lively, more interesting loot drops. Very modular and needs a bit of configuration. (Warning: it's been a while since I played it but I recall the "Dead Bodies Stay" module causing one of the major Awakenings battles to become unwinnable so you might need to throw that part out for the expansion.)

Dragon Age Redesigned, facial replacer for just about every major character so they look a bit more human/realistic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm thinking of switching the difficulty in Odin Sphere to Easy for when I'm just mucking around on the maps and then back to Normal for the bosses. Cool game but I get annoyed really fast in these normal battles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I'm thinking of switching the difficulty in Odin Sphere to Easy for when I'm just mucking around on the maps and then back to Normal for the bosses. Cool game but I get annoyed really fast in these normal battles.

Eat something as often as you can. It'll improve your total HP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh I know, I'm already on the second character. It's just that I don't have access to the cafe yet (the napple sorbet thing was awesome for the first character), and napples alone just aren't cutting it yet where I am (Chapter 4). No good places to get money yet, either. I was thinking of using Easy for grinding just to speed things up a little.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Super pro-tip once you get to Mercedes: Unlimited POW potions. Just make a ton of them. So much fun.

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yep, a totally decent game. Play it with a 360 controller on Hardcore and hope for a Dark Alliance type of thing. Don't come in with any expectations about Dungeon Siege or about Obsidian and I think you'll be satisfied.

I actually found the writing in Dungeon Siege 3 up to Obsidian standards. It's not as good as say, the best bits in Mask of the Betrayer or Alpha Protocol, but there was a lot of things in there that made me chuckle. Plus there's Reinhardt, who is pretty drat hard to hate if you truck him about as a companion.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The trouble with Dungeon Siege 3 is that I just couldn't find the game fun at all. Nothing seemed to have any impact, not after Dungeon Siege 2's pretty visceral super moves. I mean, 2 was simple as hell to actually play but it was great fun going 'yeah I'm now invincible ps a gigantic fuckoff lightning bolt just gibbed all fifty guys around me'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Stelas posted:

The trouble with Dungeon Siege 3 is that I just couldn't find the game fun at all. Nothing seemed to have any impact, not after Dungeon Siege 2's pretty visceral super moves. I mean, 2 was simple as hell to actually play but it was great fun going 'yeah I'm now invincible ps a gigantic fuckoff lightning bolt just gibbed all fifty guys around me'.

I greatly preferred 2 over 3, 3 seemed short, easy, and mostly forgettable. I played through it with a friend of mine on PC since we both liked DS2. DS2 is definately the better game. Now I sort of want to replay 2.