Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Holepunchio posted:

Nah its just unlike regular sentries that engineers try to repair and hold a specific point mini-sentries are disposable drop and forget weapons. An engineer collecting metal off of dead players and ammo boxes can easily plop a new mini-sentry down every time it gets blown up. I honestly don't think its too bad as long as people blow them up as they see them. However pub servers where a team has 4 snipers and no explosive classes they can be quite the nuisance.

Yeah people whine about mini-sentries because they're very low-effort high-reward on a 'casual' server. I did it the other day on a 24/7 Hightower server (basically a map people go to gently caress off on, hell people were getting mad at me for pushing the cart even though the map wasn't going to change if we won/lost). Anyway they just want to run around shooting dudes, and sentries get in the way of that. But oddly, they don't seem to mind if you drop a level 3 sentry out in the same spot, which is far more deadly, because once it gets blown up it's gone for a while at least - minisentries are a CONSTANT annoyance as long as the engineer is alive. The thing is, since the minis do less damage and feel less threatening people are more likely to try to ignore them and just run past / continue shooting whatever dude they are chasing. Sometimes my minisentry would literally RUN OUT OF AMMO, even though it has enough to fire constantly for like a minute, because nobody would bother shooting it until the 5 people it killed respawned.

In short, minisentries own vs lazy pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Male Man posted:

Knives and anti-tank mine suicide jeeps only. That's my kinda server.

Yeah but be ready to be kicked anyway :v:

Seriously I've played on servers where the description says "no rules" and get banned after wiping out a squad (probably the admin) with the SPAS. We try to find servers where the admins hang around and specifically try to gently caress with them ("No jet ramming"? Time to get the jet!).

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Indecisive posted:

In short, minisentries own vs lazy pubbies.
The funniest thing is, wrangling a mini-sentry (which isn't actually a great idea) annoys them even more.

The wrangler lets you manually take control of the sentry and increases its defense/damage output. The problem is, playing properly with mini-sentries mostly involves using them as a distraction while closing on the guy and shotgun/pistolling him to death. Using the wrangler means you're locked behind the mini and its defense/damage were never that great to begin with, so % buffs do shitall.

For some reason, getting killed by a wrangled mini-sentry makes pubbies so mad though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

Are there any other TF2 weapons that absolutely infuriate people? I might have to reinstall it some time.

Huntsman, sometimes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

Huntsman, sometimes.
Case in point.

now might be a good time to remind everyone about the most glorious TF2 rage ever recorded.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 22, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I'm mostly in awe of his lungs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

I can't believe I've ever seen that before. That was rage made made into an artform.

I think my favorite moment was when he walked out kritzkrieged 6 or 7 minutes in and got vaporized by a crocket. I was expecting him to explode screaming about having died, but he was just silent. I think he was too busy screaming warcries to realize what had even happened, and was just sitting there in a stunned silence and having gotten instagibbed the moment he rounded the corner.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
There's also the slower-paced, more character-driven ChoZo 2: The ChoZen Ones.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

The Droid posted:

It does less damage, shoots faster, and can be deployed much, much more quickly.

And until very recently it regenerated health quickly while it was building, so it was very hard to kill before it was active.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've been thinking of getting Minecraft, just because that game has to have some amazing griefing potential. Are there any good Minecraft griefing stories that aren't just destroying people's buildings?

I mean, its funny, but with a came like Minecraft there has to be something amazing that'll just make people flip the gently caress out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MinistryofLard posted:

I've been thinking of getting Minecraft, just because that game has to have some amazing griefing potential. Are there any good Minecraft griefing stories that aren't just destroying people's buildings?

I mean, its funny, but with a came like Minecraft there has to be something amazing that'll just make people flip the gently caress out.

Actually it has roughly 0 griefing potential; all the stories are people getting lucky with poorly implemented servers or flat-out hacking :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MinistryofLard posted:

I had two minecraft griefs here and here even though they're stupidly old now.

I haven't done much MC griefing since then since I hang out on goon servers, but one time I was able to make some kid flip out in chat on Super Earth. I don't remember what set him off originally, but he went into one of those stereotypical "I'm done talking to you" things where they bring up the subject half a minute later, so I decided to just hand him a shovel and say, "Okay I'm done too," with the difference being that I stopped acknowledging he existed at all. This guy freaked out for a good half hour about this turn of events, claiming that he was over all of this, desperately asking why I was ignoring him, demanding that I respond, that I was the truly mad one for not responding (after some people told him to chill out), that he was sorry, that I should apologize, etc. Every time he started quieting down, I would talk to someone else to remind him I wasn't AFK, and he would pipe up again. He did this for so long that a moderator warned him to shut up or get muted, so he PMed me for 5 minutes instead before finally giving up and sulking in silence for the rest of the time I was on.

e: Another guy had a pretty good Super Earth grief pretending to be a ghost starting here

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 22, 2013

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Oh my god I have tears in my eyes. ITS NOT STRAWBERRY ITS RAWBERRY!

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Coolguye posted:

Natasha used to, dunno if it still does. Failing that, just body shot people with the stock sniper rifle. For some unholy reason people consider getting body shot the ultimate insult.

The brass beast. Oh god, the brass beast.

Basically everyone thinks it sucks because of the long spinup, but if you learn to play around that (i.e act nothing like a normal heavy and sneak around back passages trying to catch people solo) people will go absolutely insane and try to get you kicked because you're Playing Heavy Wrong.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
People used to do what I think was called "leveling", where you log into a Minecraft server, quietly accumulate massive amounts of dirt, and start dismantling things that people have built and replacing them with vast flat plains of dirt.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
A minecraft grief by the most creative bastard I know. He posted it some 45-50 pages back.

BillyRubin posted:

A couple years ago, some buddies and I had our own little Minecraft server. One guy, Sex Robot, had a swell village that he put a lot of work into, complete with a movie theatre and hot air balloons in the sky around it. One day, I dug underneath his village and put a good 30 or so note blocks (blocks that, when they are activated, play a single note) all connected with random timings to a system that would send a signal every second or so. The end result was a cacophony of really deep bass sounds so numerous that they deafened you anywhere in the village. It would be pretty impossible to ignore it without turning off the sound in the game entirely.

Sex Robot came back to his village and I watched as he tried to find the source of the sounds. He checked every building, and finally came across this one patch of dirt in the middle of a grassy area, which is where I dug down under his village. So, he started digging there. Luckily, beneath that block was a long hole that fell all the way down to a pressure plate. The dirt block fell down the hole when he broke it, which activated the pressure plate far below. A few seconds passed, and then one by one all of his hot air balloons started exploding out of the sky. I had left the booby trap knowing he would go to investigate the sound; he was smart enough to find the place I dug down from, and that was how I got him to blow up his own balloons.

Our prank war went back and forth for a while. One day, just outside the main gates of his village, I built a massive, perpetually-burning cross. I called him out to see it, and told him that it would be our last prank, and that I wanted to work on other stuff besides trolling each other constantly. Seriously, it slowed down our other projects immensely, with all the time we put into it. So I told him that we should break down this flaming cross as a sign of finally putting away the hate and getting back to the love. That's exactly what we did.

I didn't know this at the time, but he believed me 100% for some inexplicable reason. He believed that I truly wanted to end the prank war, right up until the moment I quietly stood back and let him break the last block at the base of the flaming cross. This last block fell down a short hole onto a plate which triggered about 20 blocks of TNT that were placed in an underground ring around the cross. He died, leaving a massive ugly crater sitting right outside his village.

We were talking on Skype at the time, and he went really quiet for a minute. None of us could get him to say anything. Then, all of a sudden, he's talking again. Also, the server has gone down. He tells us that he HAD to take the server down, because he couldn't fix what he did otherwise. What did he do? As vengeance for the flaming, exploding cross gag, he'd spawned a ball of lava on top of my tree village. By mistake, he'd spawned something about 50 meters in diameter, which put such a lag on the server and his computer that he couldn't just remove it right away. By the time the server came back up, the lava was gone, along with my entire tree village; all that was left was smouldering ruins.

So we decided to cut back on the trolling for a while.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

I used to play with that guy, actually. He's not usually like that. (And it wasn't really serious rage, either).

I still love that video, though. Pity he stopped playing.

Speaking of tf2 griefing, I wish FLOORMASTER and company would have made more videos. :( I loved everything they did.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Here's a league video where a guy inadvertently griefs himself.

Non-nerd explanation:
The streamer told Vlad(a character someone else is playing) to activate their ultimate, a powerful skill that takes a while to recharge.

Normally if you poo poo up a game, you can be reported and banned, but if you tried to report Vlad, you would be trying to get him banned for listening to you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Why do mini-sentries make people upset? I haven't played TF2 since hats first started becoming a thing.

e: God this loving mav thing makes me want to buy BF3.

STAR_ doesn't like them and makes jokes out of exaggeratedly getting mad when they kill him. People will take anything too far.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

bottles and cans posted:

A minecraft grief by the most creative bastard I know. He posted it some 45-50 pages back.

Hehehe. That grief war went on forever. To the point that other players got caught as collateral damage.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 22, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

There's also the slower-paced, more character-driven ChoZo 2: The ChoZen Ones.

The credits were beautiful, and him yelling "UBERCHARGE, INFINITE NERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE" through the entirety of the uber was amazing.

Sex Robot posted:

Hehehe. That grief war went on forever. To the point that other players got caught as collateral damage.

Story time!

Magres fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 22, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Green Puddin posted:

On any given BF3 server if the host is a complete poo poo head there will be plenty of rules written such as "WELCOME TO MY SERVER NO SHOTGUNS NO PISTOLS NO AUTOMATIC RIFLES NO CLAYMORES NO C4 NO MAVS NO STINGERS AND HAVE FUN!!!"

Weapon restriction lists are basically menus for what weapons you should be using

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Novum posted:

I love these MAV videos. If I'm understanding this right (I don't play the game) the team getting pissed off keeps winning the matches, but it's not enough to win when a little robot keeps crashing into you.

MAVs are *extremely* annoying if someone is doing what this guy is doing. BF3 doesn't reward run and gun near as much as some other shooters, so it's important to stand still fairly frequently as you're advancing on an objective.

The problem is, MAV kills are the easiest to get on stationary targets. So when these guys are doing what works in 99% of the matches they play, they're getting killed by a MAV. If they keep moving to make themselves a tougher target, they'll get shot by the enemy players.

Add to that, the annoying whirring sound a MAV makes, and you can get extremely paranoid extremely fast. I've had some of my worst games when a buddy was on the team doing nothing but MAV bowling.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 22, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

World of Warcraft. Wish I had a log/screenshots, but the gist of it is a dude griefing himself by being stupid:

"Im looking for an RP guild. Do u RP?"
"Forgive me, I don't understand. Arrrpee?"
"Do u roleplay?"
"I'm afraid not. I am but a huntsman seeking his fortune alongside his faithful feline. I am no mummer."
"But do u RP?"
"You explained that was some sort of playacting, yes? I am a marksman and tamer of beasts. I have no time for the stage, nor talent for entertaining."
"i know ur a hunter but do you rp?"

One of my guildies joined in and it went on for a few more minutes with him growing increasingly agitated that we refused to drop character to tell him "if we RPed" before he ran off.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Just reminded me of a Garry's mod...thing. I want to say grief but frankly his crime is being the best drat RPer on these dumb servers.

Do you want to R P?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGe5kcLm-Xo

Do you want to continue, yes or no?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6XDk4ZxSk

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I played WoW a bit when it went F2P up to Level 20 or whatever. I roleplayed as an Undead named DeadBob or Jim or whatever. His vocabulary consisted of various moans, slurs, and *DeadBob's left pinkie toe falls off*. It was hilarious seeing the "Real RPers" try to hold a conversation with me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GNU Order posted:

Weapon restriction lists are basically menus for what weapons you should be using

That and C4 packs regardless of whether or not they're banned, especially if it is on an Operation Metro server. Operation Metro is fighting down a subway tunnel, so you've got no real choice but to run face first into a wall of enemy guns, especially on no grenade servers (on grenade servers, it is just infinite grenade spam down the stairwells). Solution? Throw C4 on the ceiling and blow guys up because the blast radius will travel up through the floor and kill them.

C4 kills always make people rage.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zaodai posted:

Solution? Throw C4 on the ceiling and blow guys up because the blast radius will travel up through the floor and kill them.

C4 kills always make people rage.

What? Since when?

That was a thing in BC2 but I've never seen it in BF3

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

What? Since when?

That was a thing in BC2 but I've never seen it in BF3

Around point C (I think, it's been awhile) there's a section where the flag was right at the top of the escalators. If you go around the side of the escalators and throw C4 against the curved part of the ceiling, you can detonate it and kill guys camping around the stairs on the floor above you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wushu is getting a castration mechanic. I assume Goon Tang Clan will go nuts with this.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Goon Tang Clan will go nuts with this.
Possibly a poor choice of words.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Possibly the best choice of words.
From the random period movies I've seen lately, castration pops up way more than it really should.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Am I reading that article correctly that the castration attacks would be carried out by a clan that has a castration as a membership requirement? That seems like a rather large sacrifice (:v:) to go through just to grief some other people. Who would then be in your clan.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You weren't doing anything with that dick anyway.

(Getting snipped lets you spend ludicrous, ludicrous amounts of exp on powering a secret internal style that does two things: Lets you use any attack in the game after any other attack in the game, effectively letting you chain different school's signature attacks into unbeatable combos, and lets you get killed after logging off. It's basically a exp sink for high level players--not doing anything with those points? Spend them on rampaging about unstoppably until three characters jump you at once! Then die and lose them all)

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Another STO story.

So, last weekend, we gave away free access to our starbase for any and all to get top-tier gear, greatly enraging the biggest Klingon-side fleet in the game, the House of Beautiful Orions. Today, the HOBO's failcascaded. The reason? Their one competent PVP'er, Minimax@EmoeJoe, organized a completely randomized tournament, in which members of our fleet were allowed to participate. In the second round, the leader of HOBO ran up against us and died horribly. He then threw a fit and kicked his best and most popular PVP'er out of the fleet, citing an obvious conspiracy between Minimax and Starfleet Dental to rig the tournament just to make HOBO look bad.

http://pastebin.com/PS29ZAjf

quote:

LinaMia@Triangulum_Phoenix: i believe mini is setting up an environment where our enemies will laugh at us
LinaMia@Triangulum_Phoenix: and i wont have none of it

He managed to alienate the entire organized PVP community with his delusional ranting and poor treatment of a generally well-liked player. Members of HOBO began to object to this rough treatment. After I pointed out to them that they would be kicked from their fleet for using an EV suit, which is part of our standard fleet uniform, they began to realize that maybe they were serving under a horrible sperglord trying to control their game. Linamia, the deranged leader of HOBO, seeing the way things were going, demoted every other fleet leader in HOBO, and then began to mass-demote every single person in HOBO in fear of hem being Dental spies. The members of HOBO were understandably quite upset by this.

http://pastebin.com/iPpTVeQd

Once everyone woke up this morning, the exodus began.

http://pastebin.com/05zkw8zZ

Sunday morning, the House of Beautiful Orions was home to 500 members and the most advanced Klingon starbase in the game. By Monday afternoon, they consisted of about 40 alts of Linamia and about a dozen zealots, with their alts. All of this happened because of goon charity and this man's rabid paranoia.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I decided to get into PlayStation Home for the first time. Looking at the DLC options (out of curiousity) I noticed that as part of a promotion for Scream 4 there is a Ghostface costume. I bought it because an idea hit me. I put that outfit on and proceeded to enter social rooms and just run around with Ghostface's amusingly melodramatic run animation where he dashes with knife held above his head. First run I did the run I typed "Ready for a scary movie?!" and did his really dumb-looking run for a few laps. Into the corner, typed "Ready for the sequel?!" and did the same thing. Third time, "The trilogy will end it all" and did the same dumb run. Into the corner and typed "Unwanted fourth movie" and did the stupid run again. Fifth time, "Now for the cash-in" and then after that was over "Oh God, it flopped" and logged-out to make it look like I disappeared as a result.

Yes, lame compared to a lot of the other ones in this thread but 90% of the room laughed while the other 10% PM'd "y dude" at me.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Preechr posted:

Another STO story.

Holy poo poo, that couldn't have gone better if it were intentional.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's kind of amazing how a guild can self destruct like that. RIP HOBO.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Preechr posted:

Another STO story.

So, last weekend, we gave away free access to our starbase for any and all to get top-tier gear, greatly enraging the biggest Klingon-side fleet in the game, the House of Beautiful Orions. Today, the HOBO's failcascaded. The reason? Their one competent PVP'er, Minimax@EmoeJoe, organized a completely randomized tournament, in which members of our fleet were allowed to participate. In the second round, the leader of HOBO ran up against us and died horribly. He then threw a fit and kicked his best and most popular PVP'er out of the fleet, citing an obvious conspiracy between Minimax and Starfleet Dental to rig the tournament just to make HOBO look bad.

http://pastebin.com/PS29ZAjf

He managed to alienate the entire organized PVP community with his delusional ranting and poor treatment of a generally well-liked player. Members of HOBO began to object to this rough treatment. After I pointed out to them that they would be kicked from their fleet for using an EV suit, which is part of our standard fleet uniform, they began to realize that maybe they were serving under a horrible sperglord trying to control their game. Linamia, the deranged leader of HOBO, seeing the way things were going, demoted every other fleet leader in HOBO, and then began to mass-demote every single person in HOBO in fear of hem being Dental spies. The members of HOBO were understandably quite upset by this.

http://pastebin.com/iPpTVeQd

Once everyone woke up this morning, the exodus began.

http://pastebin.com/05zkw8zZ

Sunday morning, the House of Beautiful Orions was home to 500 members and the most advanced Klingon starbase in the game. By Monday afternoon, they consisted of about 40 alts of Linamia and about a dozen zealots, with their alts. All of this happened because of goon charity and this man's rabid paranoia.

third link posted:

[7/22 11:37] [BeautifulOrions] LinaMia@Triangulum_Phoenix: I founded it I am at the top of most boards i put my heart soul and debit card in it

[7/22 11:37] [BeautifulOrions] Eesir@nx15: The heart of HOBO are its players

[7/22 11:37] [BeautifulOrions] LinaMia@Triangulum_Phoenix: I founded it I am at the top of most boards i put my heart soul and debit card in it

[7/22 11:37] [BeautifulOrions] DDDDDD@ibuyevryship: i refounded hobo,

Fan. Tastic. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

So what happens to their station? Will it kind of linger there or will they loose it to some sort of upkeep issue?

• Locked thread