Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I love that you guys don't even notice the gorgeous roosters when there's a silly duck in the pic. "LOOK AT THE DUCK!"

Chicken the Duck gives no fucks. I don't control anything that goes on with the flock - Chicken is seriously a part of it. They follow him around as much as he follows them. He bickers with the roos every once in a while, and I even saw him protect Polka from the welsummer when he was doing his floppy neck thing. The hens seem especially linked to him.

I was also waiting for that Polish, who was hanging way in the back, to catch up with the group so I could admire him. Take a shot of him next time please!

I did notice the two roos in the front. They're both handsome fellows. Hard to believe you got them so cheaply because they're really cool-looking roos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I saw the Roos, they are really pretty. But there is a loving duck that's convinced it's a chicken. That's way more entertaining.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Chickenduck is amazing.

My chicken thinks she's a goose. Or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxRNwrMFjFg

HONKHONKHONK

She's going through a voice change, and it's pretty pathetic sounding right now. Not quite as bad as Skillet and Bruce, though. :keke: Lincoln is about 2.5 months old, a little younger than the first batch of the Chickam chicks. She's the head hen and also my favorite.

edit: durr.. link fixed

Fashionably Great fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 20, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Grape Soda posted:

Chickenduck is amazing.

My chicken thinks she's a goose. Or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?TxRNwrMFjFg

HONKHONKHONK

She's going through a voice change, and it's pretty pathetic sounding right now. Not quite as bad as Skillet and Bruce, though. :keke: Lincoln is about 2.5 months old, a little younger than the first batch of the Chickam chicks. She's the head hen and also my favorite.

Your link doesn't work...

The other day the kid brought Baba in, who honks and mutters and talks the entire time you are holding & petting her. :keke:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Your link doesn't work...

The other day the kid brought Baba in, who honks and mutters and talks the entire time you are holding & petting her. :keke:

Whoops, fixed now!

I still haven't come up with a name for my black Australorp. In my usual weird naming fashion, I called her Craig out of nowhere, but Craig doesn't seem to fit her.

She's getting out of her awkward stage and into the pretty stage. She's about two months old now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Grape Soda posted:

Whoops, fixed now!

I still haven't come up with a name for my black Australorp. In my usual weird naming fashion, I called her Craig out of nowhere, but Craig doesn't seem to fit her.

She's getting out of her awkward stage and into the pretty stage. She's about two months old now.

Our white Australorp is named sunshine. Yours can be nighttime.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
The pekins have their place in the landscape, as well.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Those are some long ducks.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

So the other day when it was really hot I gave my chickens two quarters of a watermelon to help hydrate them and cool them.

I saw later that they ate all the 'meat' and left the rind, as expected. But then the next day I was talking to my husband about the watermelon, and apparently the rinds were gone. O.O

I...they aren't usually suppose to eat the rinds too, are they? I'm kind of shocked they would eat it, or how they ate it. I guess they must have pecked it to death to get it in small enough pieces to swallow.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Wow, my dames have never eaten the rind! I doubt it's bad for them - we mostly don't eat it because it's kinda bitter/fibrous. They probably don't care.

I did give them a bunch of little Japanese plums. It pretty much looks like something was eviscerated in their pen, now. I told my husband we've probably just inadvertently trained them to eat eyeballs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lynza posted:

Wow, my dames have never eaten the rind! I doubt it's bad for them - we mostly don't eat it because it's kinda bitter/fibrous. They probably don't care.
Ours have been enjoying a slice of watermelon a day with this hot weather, and a bowl of chicken mash mixed with cool water. They don't eat the rind, though.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Mine usually eat the entire rind, they eat the fleshy part first and then the rest dries up and gets brittle and they peck away at it until it's gone or blends into the dust. If I give them a banana they eat the entire thing.

Even weirder I gave them a mango and they ate the seed. How does that happen?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It happens because they're dinosauruses and they can eat anything (as far as I can tell).

We got this beauty out of the nesting box this morning. It's actually slightly too big to fit all the way in the egg carton.

You can see Dahlia's (the Blue Andalusian) little white egg in front, and yesterday's brown egg to the right.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lynza posted:

It happens because they're dinosauruses and they can eat anything (as far as I can tell).

We got this beauty out of the nesting box this morning. It's actually slightly too big to fit all the way in the egg carton.

You can see Dahlia's (the Blue Andalusian) little white egg in front, and yesterday's brown egg to the right.

Well, someone is Little Miss Overachiever...

Just now we were tossing bread bits out to the chicks. Rocket grabbed one and started to run, Doodad grabbed her by one toe and started dragging her backwards, trying to get her to drop the bread. Rocket screamed around a beakful of bread the entire time until we broke it up.

Rocket held on to that loving bread, though. :black101:

Jesus, chickens. :psyduck:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
This is hilarious! I think most of you will understand the message!

http://youtu.be/Ll187f27Pxg

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

piscesbobbie posted:

This is hilarious! I think most of you will understand the message!

http://youtu.be/Ll187f27Pxg

My husband watched it. He said, at the beginning, "I'm not that bad." Then when she got to the part where the woman says, "I'm a farmer now!" he started giggling and didn't stop until the end.

Have I mentioned we're getting goats next year?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

My husband watched it. He said, at the beginning, "I'm not that bad." Then when she got to the part where the woman says, "I'm a farmer now!" he started giggling and didn't stop until the end.

Have I mentioned we're getting goats next year?

Hahaha I'm doing quail and hopefully tilapia next year. Now I need a goat.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, I'm in. I need peacock and a pair of guard geese. And a pond for the geese. A few little fish & frogs for the pond. And some huge trees for the peas to roost in. And some guinea hens to eat all the damned ants around here.

Also, the wild valley quail deserve a little bushy sanctuary somewhere on the property.

It's when you get a llama to guard all of your other stock that you are REALLY in deep.

VVVV AHAHAHA

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 23, 2013

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Saw this the other day, thought this thread would like it:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Somebody buy me a pair of Ayam Cemani, please. Thanks in advance!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, I'm in. I need peacock and a pair of guard geese. And a pond for the geese. A few little fish & frogs for the pond. And some huge trees for the peas to roost in. And some guinea hens to eat all the damned ants around here.

I will say you don't need to acquire frogs - if you build it, they will come.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

unprofessional posted:

Those are pretty badass. The Goths of the chicken world.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

HOLY CRAP!! $2500 for one chicken?!?!?!? Jeez! :stare:

But...man...WHAT A CHICKEN!!!! WOW!

(I was actually disappointed to learn their eggs weren't black too. The eggs are cream-colored.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 22, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

What about the Barnevelders from the same place?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
My husband says, for that price, they'd better lay solid gold eggs, instead of cream-colored ones.

God, those Barnevelders are GORGEOUS. There's just no way I could justify paying that much for a chicken that may or may not survive the winter. Can you imagine? "Honey, I have some bad news. A raccoon just ate your $2500 chicken."

We're definitely doing goats next year - and I'm hoping to hook up with Pardalis and get some quail as well.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

You can get a blue Barnvelder chick for only $89.00! That's a bargain, compared to the $2500 one!

Man...so many pretty chickens!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

^^^exactly

Inveigle posted:

HOLY CRAP!! $2500 for one chicken?!?!?!? Jeez! :stare:

But...man...WHAT A CHICKEN!!!! WOW!

(I was actually disappointed to learn their eggs weren't black too. The eggs are cream-colored.)

I saw that too. Everything else seems crazy expensive too, but they are in a league of their own. It's sort of like the places that advertise a $1000 hamburger. Everyone remarks on it but no one actually orders the Kobe beef marinated 3 weeks in Crystal and covered in cavier, but compared to the $1000 burger the one below it on the menu for $23 seems like a good deal.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

You can get a blue Barnvelder chick for only $89.00! That's a bargain, compared to the $2500 one!

Man...so many pretty chickens!

That chicken is beautiful.

The being said, here they are much cheaper

http://www.rockin-g-ranch.com/fancychickorders.html

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
The reason Greenfire is so expensive (and people are willing to pay $2500 for a chicken) is because they're importing breeding stock and are one of the few places in the US that are able to get their hands on rare breeds. People usually advertise their breeding stock as coming from Greenfire lines. For instance, the Bresse was a HUGE deal for some because it has been so highly regarded as a meat bird in France with some crazy diet to finish them off for processing because of their taste. Since Ayam Cemani hens in their first year only produce 60ish eggs, then you're talking about a hen producing maaaaybe 50 offspring her first year. It'll take a while for someone to recoup their investment on a breeding pair.

Wait five years, and breeding stock will be a lot cheaper. American Bresse, Cream Legbars, Marans and the like used to be upwards of $500 a bird when they were imported for breeding stock because of their rarity. Now they're commanding higher prices than average hatchery stock, but they're nowhere nearly as expensive as they used to be. This breed will come down in price, but you'll probably never see them for incredibly cheap. Since breeders will be paying to house and feed chickens that only produce eggs less than half the year, they'll never be something you can pick up for $4 a chick, nor will you see them in a backyard flock except as ornamental yard candy.

I wish I lived in a city that allowed me to keep more than 3-4 chickens. I want all the birds.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Errant Gin Monks, you are a MONSTER.

Guess who is now figuring out how to get her hens to go broody so she can order a dozen Barnevelder eggs?

Yeah.

But hey, a dozen GORGEOUS chickens for $75? I can do it. Now I have to harass my husband so he'll quit dithering about what kind of roof to put on the coop, and get it done.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My oldest hens are 20 weeks tomorrow. Where are my eggs you little bastards!! :argh:

Also for content...

This is Sunshine, the white Australorp. Her wattles are coming in strong. Her and Strawberry are 17 weeks old now.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 22, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
poo poo gently caress.

I just got home and one of my girls has a big squishy crop and is vomiting up sour smelling fluid, what do I do?

She vomited a bit and started shaking her head and squawking real loud like she is coughing.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Something wrong in/with her crop, maybe? I have never seen a chicken throw up. :(

Is it possible there's not enough grit?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

From what I understand, chickens can't throw up. If it's a foul smelling liquid and her crop is mushy, she might have sour crop. If it's big, feels full but squishy, it might also be an impacted crop. They aren't mutually exclusive, but from what you described, it's most likely sour crop. That basically means the crop didn't fully emptied durng the night, and whatever food was left fermented :barf:

Here's more info about it:

http://www.pocketfarm.co.uk/impacted-crop-and-sour-crop/]

I'd advice about using the method they describe in that link about holding the chicken upside down to empty the crop, as they might inhale liquid and go into their lungs because the trachea in a chicken is at the base of their tongue, not in the back of the throat like in humans. If you can take the chicken to the vet, do it. If that's not possible, then you could try hand feeding the hen some yogurt. A couple of years ago Rusty had some weird infection on her tongue plus sour crop. I tried feeding her yogurt and also gave her water with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it to see if the change in ph in her crop would help get rid of the problem. I also massaged her crop gently trying to get things moving towards the lower part of her crop. That also seemed to have helped as she had what felt like a stone inside, and one day it was just gone.

now the tongue thing, on the other hand, had to be treated by a vet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
We brought her inside and set up chicken sick bay, which is an extra large dog cart covered inside with tarp and hung with waterers and covered with pine shavings. She immediately started scratching and drinking water, so we will keep her off food for 24 hours except a bit of olive oil and probiotic yogurt.

Hopefully she is better by Wednesday since I leave for Vegas Thursday morning for 4 days.

Great timing you stupid chicken.

The wife is pretty upset.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Lynza posted:

Errant Gin Monks, you are a MONSTER.

Guess who is now figuring out how to get her hens to go broody so she can order a dozen Barnevelder eggs?

Yeah.

But hey, a dozen GORGEOUS chickens for $75? I can do it. Now I have to harass my husband so he'll quit dithering about what kind of roof to put on the coop, and get it done.

If it helps calm the anxiousness some shipped eggs usually have very poor hatch rates due to postal handling. For the past couple decades I average a 95% hatch on local eggs but consider myself lucky to get even 50% on shipped eggs (out of fertile eggs). Barnvelders are beautiful though.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Someone needs to order some Cream Legbars. The females have cute head-poufs that look like little hats. :)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Ayem Cemanis are 20 bucks here in Switzerland so it'd be cheaper to fly here, vacation in the alps, and take a flock back with you. Also Poulet de Bresse are about the same.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We brought her inside and set up chicken sick bay, which is an extra large dog cart covered inside with tarp and hung with waterers and covered with pine shavings. She immediately started scratching and drinking water, so we will keep her off food for 24 hours except a bit of olive oil and probiotic yogurt.

Hopefully she is better by Wednesday since I leave for Vegas Thursday morning for 4 days.

Great timing you stupid chicken.

The wife is pretty upset.

Seconding what Chido said.
Sounds like sour crop, one of my hens had it for a few days and I'm pretty sure the extreme heat for two weeks was the culprit. Plain yogurt with active cultures, crop massage several times a day (be fairly vigorous and ignore the outrage), soft foods, ample water. While you are massaging her crop, feel for anything that might be hard or fiberous--has she been eating long strands of grass recently? Long grass can ball up in the crop and get nasty.

Check your feed for any signs of mold/mildew, just to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay so I checked her this morning. She is a lot more lively. Her crop didn't fully empty last night so I massaged it a lot and she didn't seem to care, just watched me with a "I don't get it" face. She is drinking a good amount of water and crapped some giant stinking chicken craps. She starts her yogurt today and hopefully the rest from the 100+ degree heat here will bring her back to her old self.

edit: She does not like chicken sick bay and is trying to force her way out. Stupid hen.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 23, 2013