Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ExtraNoise posted:

More work on the Modern Age Mod minimap:

Hmm, it looks cool overall, but what are those circles supposed to be? Radar? The way you've drawn them, the world is literally a flat plane, instead of a sphere. Maybe I'm the only person that's annoyed by stuff like that but, I think you should look into making it make more sense. Maybe add a bit more pop to the outlines as well?

(Now I really wanna see the main map with a similar style, but I suspect that would be quite a challenge to make look good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
I'm pretty sure maps are supposed to be flat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Little Abigail posted:

I'm pretty sure maps are supposed to be flat.
So? The thing I'm pointing out is that the world is flat according to the map he made.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Paradox makes their maps like that so it's pretty irrelevant. Most people don't care that much even if they know the scale is wrong.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RagnarokAngel posted:

Paradox makes their maps like that so it's pretty irrelevant. Most people don't care that much even if they know the scale is wrong.

He means the circular lines, not the projection.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually, what he's got there is a perfectly legitimate coordinate system for a globe. He's basically treating a point in the mid-Atlanic as 90o "latitude" with lines of "longitude" (for a lack of better terms) radiating from it just like we normally do with the North Pole. Of course, he's superimposing this on a completely different projection which is all kinds of wrong, but the idea of the circles and radiating lines is a legitimate way of representing a globe on a flat plane.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Do you think Paradox games will ever start modeling the world as an actual globe? I think that would be cool but I bet someone is going to point out a really obvious problem with it (other than the technical difficulty).

Are distances distorted by turning the world into a plane? I always wondered this when I was watching my max colonial range increase.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

fuf posted:

Do you think Paradox games will ever start modeling the world as an actual globe? I think that would be cool but I bet someone is going to point out a really obvious problem with it (other than the technical difficulty).

Are distances distorted by turning the world into a plane? I always wondered this when I was watching my max colonial range increase.

I sure hope we don't. What would it add except a worse interface?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wiz posted:

Grognard Cred. Because of the worse interface.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyzVA8Z9xI

You take that back :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wiz posted:

Well, the distance part that fuf points out as a pretty major thing. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like I'm moving around on a flat world in Paradox games, not just a flat map of a spherical world. That's a huge degree of distortion if that's the case, which will have a major influence on stuff like colonial range, or how fleets move, especially at northern latitudes. (Where the historical colonial powers are!) This is even more true in a more modern setting, like the Cold War, when the Artic sat right between the US and the USSR.

Now, I don't think a globe view would be needed before WW2 really, since the amount of things going on up there is pretty limited, and even WW2 could probably do without it. For the Cold War and forward though, I think it would actually add to the game*, plus it would be much easier to make it really flow with the overall look of the interface. In a game like EU though, all I really want is for the spherical world to be there for calculations, even if the map itself is completely flat.

*If you zoom in as close as one usually does in these games, the sphere starts looking pretty flat.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 22, 2013

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Wiz posted:

This. The only situation I can imagine where it would be worth doing would be a cold war game with a lot of stuff going on at the poles for some reason or similar.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If anything a WW2 setting would benefit from a globe map more than anything else, Cold War included, since the arctic convoys were an absolutely critical element of the OTL war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II

But Wiz is right in that the interface would be much less usable, and I can't imagine it being worth that cost. In a hypothetical reality where trackballs had won over mice and touchpads a globe projection would probably be great (hold a button to spin the ball like it were the globe), but we don't live in that reality and our flat pointing devices favour a flat map.

Plus if necessary you could still simulate the whole thing on a traditional Pdox map by making Arctic sea zones really large and really quick to cross - although I'm not sure how you'd communicate this fact to the players.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 22, 2013

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some sort of weird SciFi setting involving orbital space combat and boreholes through the Earth could probably use a globe interface but otherwise seems like a lot of work for nothing.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 22, 2013

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

fuf posted:

There will always be some distortion when turning a three dimensional surface into a two dimensional one. With the latitude/longitude system we use for our globe North/South directions are fairly consistent, but on any rectangular map projection (like the Mercator projection, a common one) there will be stretching in the east/West direction. Most rectangular ones will set the Equator to be the line with no distortion, but when you do that the farther you go from the Equator the bigger the distortion. This is why Greenland looks bigger than South America on the Mercator Projection. There are many, many ways of trying to minimize this distortion: some do it by splitting the map into pieces, some do it by bending things so that the distances are preserved but the shape is distorted. You can read more than you probably wanted to know about it all here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection.

So far as these games's maps go, programming in a globe may be more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, especially since the level of detail in the map increases as yo zoom in. As A Buttery Pastry said, the globe looks closer to flat the closer to get to it, so I don't think the CK2 map would warrant a curved map even if it were easy to do. EU and Vicky could probably get away with rectangular maps like they have now since very little goes on the extreme North and South. You could take East/West stretching into account by reducing the time necessary to travel between provinces and sea zones according to how far from the Equator they are. I don't know enough about flight and missile capabilities during WWII to say whether the Arctic route from Europe to North America was at all practical then, but afterward it would definitely make a strategic difference when talking about ICBMs and whatnot. A globe as opposed to a rectangular projection can make a huge difference when the shortest route from Washington to Moscow is over the Arctic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Universalis.

You need a globe in order to show plate tectonic movements.

Durokar
Nov 11, 2011
Paradox just uploaded a new teaser trailer for... something on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsOUrhhKmY

I am hoping that it's some sort of a Dark Age/Age of Migration thing :)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

It says Paradox Interactive in the corner, not Paradox Development Studio. Then again, shouldn't there be the developer's name as well if it were just a PI published game?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

But Wiz is right in that the interface would be much less usable, and I can't imagine it being worth that cost. In a hypothetical reality where trackballs had won over mice and touchpads a globe projection would probably be great (hold a button to spin the ball like it were the globe), but we don't live in that reality and our flat pointing devices favour a flat map.
I don't really see a major difference, between a globe and a flat map, in terms of how you move around on them. Moving the cursor left/right swings you around the vertical axis of the Earth, moving it up/down swings you around horizontal one. Just limit latitudinal movement to centering on the Poles*, so the player can't turn the world on its head, and you're golden. Depending on how much zoom you allow, you might not even be able to tell that you're looking at a globe, other than the far superior representation of the world. (Zoom in this scenario going in and out, instead of the pan it does on the flat map.)

*For a Cold War game. In any other, limiting the movement to touching the Poles would be enough.

Actually, I kinda feel like making a mock-up of this, just to see what it would look like.

NihilCredo posted:

Plus if necessary you could still simulate the whole thing on a traditional Pdox map by making Arctic sea zones really large and really quick to cross - although I'm not sure how you'd communicate this fact to the players.
Golden_Zucchini's suggestion of simply making east-west movement scale by a factor that fits the longitude seems like a good way to deal with the mechanics of it, but this might be a more difficult task. On the other hand, isn't it generally the game that figures out the best route, not the player? If it automatically decides the quickest route is one that looks longer, wouldn't the player still just go with it? Point it out in the tutorial as well, and have trade routes follow great circles when they're not hugging the coasts, and I think it should be understandable. Most people should really be aware that maps distort distances heavily near the Poles, especially people who play map games.

Durokar posted:

Paradox just uploaded a new teaser trailer for... something on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsOUrhhKmY

I am hoping that it's some sort of a Dark Age/Age of Migration thing :)
Ravens, worms swords? Seems like a viking game.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The only interface problem I can think of with a globe is that you can't zoom out all the way and see the whole world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Making the map a sphere would be completely pointless anyway, because of the way the map actually works. Army positions aren't stored in map coordinates (although the position of the figures on the display is). Instead there's a database of province adjacencies that says "Toulouse is adjacent to Carcassonne, and there's a distance of X units between them." Changing the map to a globe would be purely cosmetic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

fuf posted:

The only interface problem I can think of with a globe is that you can't zoom out all the way and see the whole world.
You can't really do that in any of the games anyway, can you? Admittedly a globe would be more constrained, but I'm not sure how big a deal it would be.

Fister Roboto posted:

Making the map a sphere would be completely pointless anyway, because of the way the map actually works. Army positions aren't stored in map coordinates (although the position of the figures on the display is). Instead there's a database of province adjacencies that says "Toulouse is adjacent to Carcassonne, and there's a distance of X units between them." Changing the map to a globe would be purely cosmetic.
That's the cache right? The one that's calculated based on the map? The formula for calculating that is half the discussion we're having. (Specifically whether it acknowledges that the map is purely a representation of the world, or if it calculates distances as if the map itself is the world.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You can't really do that in any of the games anyway, can you? Admittedly a globe would be more constrained, but I'm not sure how big a deal it would be.

Speaking of which, it would be cool to have a button that takes a 'mega-resolution' screen shot of the entire map, so you don't have to stitch it together in photshop and have funny seems because of the 3d projection. Like you press ctrl-F12 or something and it renders the entire map out at some resolution you can set in an .ini file, like 12,000x6000 or something.

EDIT: I do kinda like the idea of a 'real' globe, but the benefits aren't really worth the fuss and bother. Maybe if Paradox does a space game. Like a EU style game set in our near future solar system, where you can colonize the planets and send fleets back and forth and such.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those distances are generated automatically based on province size/proximity.

That said, it would be possible* to apply some distance scaling based on latitude to make larger provinces in the northern and southern extremities functionally smaller**, and that might actually be an interesting idea.***

* This would fall apart for provinces that had substantial north-south geography.
** This might need to be tweaked a bit to make the east-west scaling more aggressive than the north-south scaling based on province dimensions.
*** This would probably be confusing.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hmm, it looks cool overall, but what are those circles supposed to be? Radar? The way you've drawn them, the world is literally a flat plane, instead of a sphere. Maybe I'm the only person that's annoyed by stuff like that but, I think you should look into making it make more sense. Maybe add a bit more pop to the outlines as well?

(Now I really wanna see the main map with a similar style, but I suspect that would be quite a challenge to make look good.)

It's just intended for effect. I could tone it down a little, but I do like something being there. Making something that makes sense is tough because the world is already distorted quite a bit from actual proportions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, if I'm wrong and province distances are actually based on province position, then making the map into a sphere would increase the game's workload significantly. Cartesian coordinates and vectors are a hell of a lot easier to calculate than spherical surface coordinates and great circle paths.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You can't really do that in any of the games anyway, can you?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's the cache right? The one that's calculated based on the map? The formula for calculating that is half the discussion we're having. (Specifically whether it acknowledges that the map is purely a representation of the world, or if it calculates distances as if the map itself is the world.)

You could do proper spherical distance from a flat map. Run the projection equations backwards (EU4 is the Miller Cylindrical, right?), then use the great-circle distance formula. So it's, uh,

which looks scary, but you'd only have to do it once for every pair of adjacent provinces, so about... 4,500 times? Which is nothing, really.

I dunno, maybe that's already how they calculate distance.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, if I'm wrong and province distances are actually based on province position, then making the map into a sphere would increase the game's workload significantly. Cartesian coordinates and vectors are a hell of a lot easier to calculate than spherical surface coordinates and great circle paths.

Distances are cached. The game doesn't have to recalculate them every time something wants to move.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

It's just intended for effect. I could tone it down a little, but I do like something being there. Making something that makes sense is tough because the world is already distorted quite a bit from actual proportions.
Good point about the world being distorted, I can see that making details that conform to the Earth difficult to get right. If the purpose is just to add a bit of detail so the minimap looks prettier, how about some satellite paths? They should be easy to add, even if they don't conform to the distortion perfectly, and it might also be more fitting for the modern age than radar.

Not the whole world, the Poles are still missing. :smuggo:

(You got me, hadn't considered that the resolution of the game changed how much you can see.)

Autonomous Monster posted:

You could do proper spherical distance from a flat map. Run the projection equations backwards (EU4 is the Miller Cylindrical, right?), then use the great-circle distance formula. So it's, uh,

which looks scary, but you'd only have to do it once for every pair of adjacent provinces, so about... 4,500 times? Which is nothing, really.

I dunno, maybe that's already how they calculate distance.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Doesn't seem like a super difficult thing to do, as long as the extents of the map are well defined, and the projection is consistent and not hacked together from all kinds of maps.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Part Seven of Quill18's England game is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXuJsqrVwD4
As much as I like these, they're making the next three weeks seem like an eternity. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Haha, it's not three wee-

loving hell it's three weeks. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Distances are cached. The game doesn't have to recalculate them every time something wants to move.

That's what I thought. Still, making the map spherical would add nothing but :pcgaming: immersion :pcgaming:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

That's what I thought. Still, making the map spherical would add nothing but :pcgaming: immersion :pcgaming:

In regards to a Cold War game, though, it would be useful for gameplay, since flying bombers and firing missiles over the Arctic was one of the plans/fears of a Cold-War-goes-Hot scenario, and why there were Nike missile sites in places like Detroit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

So you're saying that it's simply "immersion" when distances are calculated correctly? If you don't take the map projection into consideration, the 60th parallel (Norway-Iceland-Greenland) is literally twice as long as it should be, and around the 50th parallel (Brittany to New France) it's still 50% longer. You don't see this affecting gameplay? Or are you trying to say that the spherical map would not have any advantages over a flat map that takes this into account?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Part Seven of Quill18's England game is up:
As much as I like these, they're making the next three weeks seem like an eternity. :(
Oh my, he actually gave his AI allies provinces for helping him, how Canadian! He could have totally gotten Antwerp instead, or made France release a country.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Or are you trying to say that the spherical map would not have any advantages over a flat map that takes this into account?

That's exactly what I'm saying. A spherical map would needlessly complicate things, since you only move units from province to province.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A spherical map would be important for a Cold War game because otherwise you run into problems such as southern continents being overpowered in Defcon.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
What they need to do is just prevent players from zooming out far enough to see the flaws of the projection. That would prevent all this :spergin:.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. A spherical map would needlessly complicate things, since you only move units from province to province.
OK, the context in which you said it confused me then! I do agree though, there's not really much of a use for a graphical representation of the sphere, just the calculation. At least in the majority of Paradox games. Ones set after
the advent of ICBMs, long-range bombers and submarines would benefit from it in terms of gameplay I think, and the setting would probably also enable a graphical style that fit a globe better. It would be a pretty un-Paradoxy look though.

Puella Magissima posted:

What they need to do is just prevent players from zooming out far enough to see the flaws of the projection. That would prevent all this :spergin:.
Not really, because there's still the problem of it actually affecting gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Vodos posted:

Oh my, he actually gave his AI allies provinces for helping him, how Canadian! He could have totally gotten Antwerp instead, or made France release a country.

On the other hand, he seemed to not at all see Scotland's massive pretender rebels as a problem, which considering his plan to diplo-annex Scotland, would have been higher priority :colbert:.

• Locked thread