Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
In my current game I chose Shaka because he sounded like fun. Murdered my way through 4 civs until I got to Ethiopia. I didn't seem to get the genocide penalty for finishing off Germany, even though I met Haille a good 20 turns before I finished off Bismarck. That was fortunate because I then met everybody else not too much later, because of the world congress getting started.

I have about 20 Impi waiting to be upgraded once I finish the Pentagon, all kitted out with Alhambra, Brandenburg, Heroic Epic and the 3 xp buildings. Soon I shall show my dirty commie neighbors the light of Freedom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I'm playing my first game on Prince (I am not good at Civ :shobon:) and I'm really struggling with unhappiness. It's been in the minus's for almost the entire game, even though I have zoos in every city. Is there something I'm missing?

Always trade away your excess luxuries to another civ, if you both have extras you can 1 for 1 trade for 4 free happiness. Getting a religion is also a good way to get 'free' happiness (at the cost of building some faith poo poo early on). Some social policies are great for happiness too. And of course as they said, Mercantile city-states are good sources of happiness. Also when settling cities you should almost always pick a spot that has luxury resources in reach, unless you have a specific plan like building a science city near a jungle/mountain or a coastal trade city or something. Last check the culture screen, if you're into the ideologies phase you might be getting unhappiness forced on you from another civ with a different ideology. You can't just ignore culture stuff completely, if you do it'll hurt later in the game.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Finally finished my first game of BNW after a few false starts. It's amazing how much more interesting the late game is now, and I find the diplomatic game to be a ton of fun. One fun trick I picked up: sometimes it's too expensive to bribe a rival civ to vote for something. Say, convincing Alexander and his half of all the delegates to vote for making Freedom the world ideology when he's gone Autocracy. But if you can propose something he'd support, like maybe embargoing his hated enemy Napoleon, and bribe him to commit delegates to that motion, you can lower the number of votes you need to rustle up.

The culture system seems real fun too, and I managed to get my tourism up pretty high despite going for the world leader win. Actually managed to make Atilla's empire so unhappy Rio de Janeiro flipped to me, letting me gift it back to Pedro for huge UN cred. Gonna have to try doing a culture victory next, I think.

Any pointers for making sure you get as many of the theming bonuses as possible? Most of them are pretty easy but one of them (the Sistine Chapel, I think?) needs three works from the same civ and era. Is it worth stockpiling three artists if you're planning on building that? Are the theming bonus requirements always the same for a given building/wonder?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hulk Krogan posted:

Any pointers for making sure you get as many of the theming bonuses as possible? Most of them are pretty easy but one of them (the Sistine Chapel, I think?) needs three works from the same civ and era. Is it worth stockpiling three artists if you're planning on building that? Are the theming bonus requirements always the same for a given building/wonder?

I *think* artists/etc will only produce art from the era they spawned in, so holding onto a C.S. Lewis from the classical era then popping him in the medieval era will still get you a Classical The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I wasn't going for a cultural victory so I didn't muddle with it but you can always trade works with other nations. The themeing bonuses are typically +1 for every piece you have matching the theme, so the Sistine Chapel would give you a +3 bonus on top of whatever it naturally produces.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

If I recall correctly, the Wonders all have the same theming bonuses throughout different games, but Museums change every game.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Triskelli posted:

I *think* artists/etc will only produce art from the era they spawned in, so holding onto a C.S. Lewis from the classical era then popping him in the medieval era will still get you a Classical The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I wasn't going for a cultural victory so I didn't muddle with it but you can always trade works with other nations. The themeing bonuses are typically +1 for every piece you have matching the theme, so the Sistine Chapel would give you a +3 bonus on top of whatever it naturally produces.

The art you get is from the era you spend the GP in. I often stockpile musicians to fill Broadway for this purpose.

The balanced part is that for musicians, their tourism strength is determined by your tourism when the musician is generated (pretty sure it's 10 times your current tourism). So if you hold on to a musician, even if you have +200 tourism, if you generated it when you had +18, he will only have 180 strength.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Triskelli posted:

I *think* artists/etc will only produce art from the era they spawned in, so holding onto a C.S. Lewis from the classical era then popping him in the medieval era will still get you a Classical The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Pretty sure that's not true. Also trading doesn't help for the ones whose theming bonus is two or three from the same civ AND era.

Sistine Chapel is just two art works, Uffizi is three. Basically to get two without hanging around forever in an era you should generate one naturally and buy the other with faith (for the artists you can also get one from the social policy). Uffizi and Broadway, the two wonders that require three of a kind give you a free great person so the strategy is the same. IF you generate one a few turns before an era it's worth hanging on to them until the era flips, but there's generally no need to hold on to them for a long time.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Okay that makes sense. Also, can you not trade great works of music? When I go to the swap menu I only see columns for art, writing and artifacts.

Sort of unrelated, but I really like how your museums change names depending on what you put in them. I put some arrowheads and what not in one of my museums and noticed that it was automatically named The Moroccan Museum of Ancient Warfare. It's a small thing but I thought that was a nice touch.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 22, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I decided to play a game where I would keep my civ small and crank out wonders and culture so I went with Egypt for the bonus production on wonders. It ends up that I was jammed between Zulus, the Huns, and Assyria, I was not at peace for the next 200 turns.

I then raged out and made a new game as Ottomans and holy poo poo, I have a massive Navy (I am like 3 turns from finishing Electronics research :getin:) and my religion allows me to simply poo poo out ground troops with faith. I have conquered 3 civilization now with just frigates and privateers smashing all their coastal cities and have two invasion forces hitting one guy from both sides. I don't know why this game is so fun when you just go on a military rampage but the world hates me so I burn their cities to the ground.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hulk Krogan posted:

Okay that makes sense. Also, can you not trade great works of music? When I go to the swap menu I only see columns for art, writing and artifacts.

Nope, can't swap music (though I believe you can capture it when you take a city). There doesn't seem to be much reason to swap music since the only things that have theming bonuses for music are Broadway (and that wants 3 people from the same era and civilization, which you're not swapping for) and Sydney Opera House, which wants again 2 pieces from the same civ but different eras-- easy to fill without swapping.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

After a lifetime of religiously sticking to Continents maps, I've decided to finally try out an Archipelago game. Is it safe to assume that the same basic principle of "build ranged units, with some melee for meat shield/city capturing purposes" that applies to land units also applies to the naval game?

For capturing cities, are ranged naval units probably enough, or do I somehow need to work siege weapons into the mix? Since melee naval units can capture cities, is there any particular need to build land units at all? It seems like a navy would be enough to run the map, unless the enemy somehow settles a landlocked tile.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

After a lifetime of religiously sticking to Continents maps, I've decided to finally try out an Archipelago game. Is it safe to assume that the same basic principle of "build ranged units, with some melee for meat shield/city capturing purposes" that applies to land units also applies to the naval game?

For capturing cities, are ranged naval units probably enough, or do I somehow need to work siege weapons into the mix? Since melee naval units can capture cities, is there any particular need to build land units at all? It seems like a navy would be enough to run the map, unless the enemy somehow settles a landlocked tile.

The reason to build land units is to get ancient ruins.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

Frigates are pretty much siege and ranged all in one, and they're strong enough that you can get away with not having very many melee ships to protect them. Ships are VERY powerful and the AI has a tough time dealing with naval warfare, to the point where I'll bump up the difficulty one level if I'm playing on a heavy water map.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ainsley McTree posted:

On Archipelago? A navy should be more than enough, just be aware that you won't be getting any ranged naval units until the Galleass, which is a little on the weak side. You'll probably want to wait for Frigates and Privateers before you go island hopping.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ranged naval units are boss, especially if you go England and get Ships of the Line. It's best to beeline navigation early and build a fleet of galleasses to upgrade quickly; each ship takes a while to build so you don't want to get the tech then upgrade. A single SoL can one-shot most contemporary units and four to six SoL's are enough to take any coastal city. You'll also want to build one or two Privateers to capture enemy units and cities (properly used privateers can triple the size of your navy).

Ships upgrade a little differently than land ranged units; the upgrade path you want is *probably* two into land barrage, then +1 range, then one more barrage, then logistics. The other thing to remember is that ships are far more mobile than land troops (with Great Lighthouse and England you'll have like 9 movement per turn for your ships) but can't heal except in a friendly port.

The other thing you can do is send out embarked units to grab ruins, the AI is pretty bad about that.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 22, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Melee Naval units are for the killing blow against ships for the chance of capturing them (As Ottoman or if you have privateers). A Melee naval ship that also has full on city assault x 3 actually does a quite a lot of damage against cities but for the most part you should have at least twice as many frigates as privateers.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Just murdered the poo poo outta that bitch Cathy and took all her (7!!!) wonders, but goddamn you Polynesia guy for finding me before I murdered her so now I get a genocide penalty with everyone. :smith:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Ainsley McTree posted:

In addition to what everyone else said, you should probably hand-pick the civs for an Archipelago game, and only choose ones with some kind of significant naval advantage. The reason for this is less about giving them more useful stuff, and more about AI personalities. I've found that the AI does not adapt to maps very well, so Genghis or Augustus will happily gimp themselves by building big, useless land armies, unlike leaders such as, say, Dido.

Unrelated question: Does the Freedom tenet New Deal affect the bonus gold and culture from Holy Sites with Piety?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Guildencrantz posted:

In addition to what everyone else said, you should probably hand-pick the civs for an Archipelago game, and only choose ones with some kind of significant naval advantage. The reason for this is less about giving them more useful stuff, and more about AI personalities. I've found that the AI does not adapt to maps very well, so Genghis or Augustus will happily gimp themselves by building big, useless land armies, unlike leaders such as, say, Dido.

Unrelated question: Does the Freedom tenet New Deal affect the bonus gold and culture from Holy Sites with Piety?

The game I've started has Mongolia in it, and I'm not too far in yet but I've noticed that for some reason or another, his turns will occasionally take about 10 times as long to process as any of the other civs. Perhaps he's trying to build more horses than he has land tiles to place them on? I don't know what's happening, but I do know that he'll be the first against the wall, just to speed the game along if nothing else.

Thanks for the tips everybody, it sounds pretty simple!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
How do you acquire great works from other civilizations? For example, Oxford wants writing from other civilizations to get the theming bonus. It doesn't seem to be an option in trade. Do I just go on a worldwide looting rampage with my soldiers?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

How do you acquire great works from other civilizations? For example, Oxford wants writing from other civilizations to get the theming bonus. It doesn't seem to be an option in trade. Do I just go on a worldwide looting rampage with my soldiers?

You can trade works with other civs, it's a tab in the tourism window. You can also take the cities holding them! :black101:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

chami posted:

You can trade works with other civs, it's a tab in the tourism window. You can also take the cities holding them! :black101:

Ahh, OK. I figured it would be part of the diplomacy screen.

It seems like the best strategy is to keep your civ around 7 cities or so, and that super-aggressive expansion doesn't necessarily pay off like it did in Civ 4. Am I reading that right, or should I be pushing my borders further and further?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Peas and Rice posted:

It seems like the best strategy is to keep your civ around 7 cities or so, and that super-aggressive expansion doesn't necessarily pay off like it did in Civ 4. Am I reading that right, or should I be pushing my borders further and further?

Yeah, Firaxis has taken a lot of steps to try and nip ICS (infinite city sprawl) as a strategy. 7 core cities is pretty big even for a wide empire, you probably only need 4-5 major cities alongside any little outposts you might settle for strategic purposes like building a canal, snagging some coal or oil, etc. Of course this changes a little based on map size but overall the game encourages you to build tall.

EDIT: If you do decide to go on the warpath, it's typically better if you raze or puppet any cities you take, because otherwise your social policy, science, and other costs go up.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 22, 2013

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

This depends heavily on a lot of things - but the safe one size fits all strategy is a tall empire with tradition, ie 4 cities focused on food and growth.

You certainly can go wide with liberty (and win on diety doing it) but it's a bit more nuanced. Also there's been some success with ICS style cities on every hill, but it requires a lot of planning ahead of time to work out and feels a little more gamey.

Anias fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 22, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, Firaxis has taken a lot of steps to try and nip ICS (infinite city sprawl) as a strategy. 7 core cities is pretty big even for a wide empire, you probably only need 4-5 major cities alongside any little outposts you might settle for strategic purposes like building a canal, snagging some coal or oil, etc. Of course this changes a little based on map size but overall the game encourages you to build tall.

EDIT: If you do decide to go on the warpath, it's typically better if you raze or puppet any cities you take, because otherwise your social policy, science, and other costs go up.

I've got a pretty good empire going right now with seven cities, one of which was a city-state I took over just to figure out how conquering works (this is my first full game - I tried Civ 5 when it first came out and reverted back to Civ 4 after a day or so.) I'm at a point where I've put improvements on every square [e: derp, hex] in my territory, and since I'm going for a cultural or diplomatic win, I've got some military guys patrolling my borders and a horde of Indiana Joneses running around looting everything they can to fill my museums.

Now that I'm used to it this is easily the best iteration I've played.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Triskelli posted:

Science cost goes up if you simply puppet a city, so if you are going on a a warpath it is either raze or annex after the riot period is over. Your social policies will take a hit but being able to slap all the science buildings you can in every city you capture lets you keep up or beat out everyone else. I generally keep my core cities as my producers and then just slap down huge amounts of farms in Annexed cities and make them pump out research buildings and science. Not to mention being able to switch every single city you have to complete wealth generation when you need a shot of gold is pretty awesome.

But yeah warpath is either Raze or Annex. No point in puppeting if you are worried about science.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 22, 2013

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

One time I saw Mongolia capture a city-state with nothing but triremes. It was weird

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
I apparently don't understand the new tourism system at all. I'm trying for a cultural victory and I've been getting a great artist\writer\musician every 4th turn or so but my tourism is only 24 and based on the screen I'm 396 turns from a cultural victory. How does the theming actually work? Do I need to swap great works with over civilizations more? I accidently stumbled into one theming bonus by pairing works from two ages but that's basically it. Please help my dumb rear end. :(

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What era are you in? Hotels and Airports massively boost tourism but aren't unlocked until Industrial/Modern.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

Ahh, OK. I figured it would be part of the diplomacy screen.

There are some situations where going heavily wide can be advantageous. I'm not really sure what causes those situations, but in my last game I accumulated something like 25-30 cities, all of which I had nearly maxed out buildings in by the end of the game and still couldn't find stuff to do with their production. Then again, I was two full eras ahead of most everyone else in tech and was generating social policies every 4 turns by the end of that one, so it might have just been heavy overkill.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PlotDevice posted:

I apparently don't understand the new tourism system at all. I'm trying for a cultural victory and I've been getting a great artist\writer\musician every 4th turn or so but my tourism is only 24 and based on the screen I'm 396 turns from a cultural victory. How does the theming actually work? Do I need to swap great works with over civilizations more? I accidently stumbled into one theming bonus by pairing works from two ages but that's basically it. Please help my dumb rear end. :(

Mouseover the "+0" next to multislot buildings/wonders and it will tell you what you need to do to get a bonus.

Culture is really not an early victory outside of a few very specific shenanigans, your tourism won't really take off until late in the tech tree.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PlotDevice posted:

Your tourism will stay pretty low until fairly late into a game, unless you go with very specific strategies to boost it early on. How it works is you gain an amount of tourism against each opposing civ's total culture, and you have to surpass it to begin influencing the civ.

Theming bonuses are different for each building/wonder. Hovering over the number will tell you what the theming bonus needs to be, usually it's some combination of same or different civilization pieces from same or different eras.

You'll also want to build hotels and airports in any city that you have a wonder in, which will boost your tourism pretty significantly. Having open borders treaties also increases tourism, as does putting diplomats in opposing capitals.

Overall I'd say that the culture victory is one of the slower ways to win, depending on what civ you are it can be faster or slower than science but is generally much slower than either Diplomatic or Conquest.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a way to make it so you can lock the game to a specific era? I kind of want to play a game where no one can go past classical.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Your tourism rating starts off pretty low and balloons drastically in the late game. That's normal.

Basically you want to build as many of the cultural wonders (Sistine Chapel, Broadway, etc) as you can, as well as anything else that gives you great works/artifacts slots, then pump out great artists and archaeologists to produce works to fill those slots. In the meantime you need to tech up to the point where you can build hotels, airports, and broadcast towers, which multiply the tourism output of the city you build them in by a percentage. Building the Internet is pretty helpful too, since it increases your total tourism output by 100% (if I recall correctly).

As for theming, if you see a +0 next to a building/wonder's Great Work slots, hover over it and it will tell you what you need to do to get the themeing bonus, and if you don't have the right works to get it already you can swap with other civs. For example, a museum gives you a bonus for having two works or two artifacts from the same period, but the Louvre requires you to have 3 works from different civs and eras. You still get the +tourism from the works themselves if you don't meet the themeing requirement-you can put three Greek works from the Modern era in the Louvre if you want-you'll just miss out on the bonus tourism.

Edit: well, poo poo. Beaten.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Verviticus posted:

No, she was only Tradition 5.

Do you have an autosave you can upload? I've never noticed anything like that. Every time an AI gets a wonder, it seems to do it legitimately. Well as legitimately as an AI can, what with their bonus beakers and hammers on higher difficulties.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

There was a conversation about Shoshone + the Liberty tree, what exactly am I suppose to do with him? :shobon:

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do you have an autosave you can upload? I've never noticed anything like that. Every time an AI gets a wonder, it seems to do it legitimately. Well as legitimately as an AI can, what with their bonus beakers and hammers on higher difficulties.

Clearly she just used hammer overflow really well :pseudo:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Why the hell do Truffles add only gold to a tile once a camp is up? They are pigs. They are meals on hooves. This early game is hosed because I spent landgrab money to improve a pig tile ASAP and the city still won't grow.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Snow Job posted:

Why the hell do Truffles add only gold to a tile once a camp is up? They are pigs. They are meals on hooves. This early game is hosed because I spent landgrab money to improve a pig tile ASAP and the city still won't grow.

Truffles are rare mushrooms. Pigs are the symbol because pigs are what you use to find truffles, they have the sense of smell for it. Technically yes they are food, but as an expensive delicacy, not a staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Outside of culture victories, does being culturally influential or dominant effect anything else? I can't seem to find that information.

• Locked thread