Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rascyc posted:

The biggest risk is really just having a brain drain if they got sold off to someone who the developers don't like. I'm thinking like if a company that wants to focus them on mobile games (such as Square enix) and half their teams just say NOPE and move on.

lovely situation, really had hoped Index's reorg plans wouldn't have involved this step.

Didn't this happen when Square became Square Enix?

Bunch of people left, they made Nautilus? Who made the awesome and criminally under performing shadow hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Doesn't that sort of thing happen all the time? Pretty sure it would be harder to come up with a list of large-ish video game developers that haven't splintered at some point over any given 10-15 year period of that company's life.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm sure you guys are all aflutter about SMT4, but I've got a question about Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Is there a guide that tells you what actions you need to take to have different endings available? Just like what event to choose at each 30 minutes? I was trying to get a specific ending on my second playthrough, but apparently had missed some qualification for it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Which ending was it?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If Nintendo gets Atlus (which is what I'm rooting for) then in a distant future we might have Jack Frost Smashing with the rest of the Bros.
Which would be great.

Also, new Persona 3 Movie trailer, that's still a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDyDg76rcw

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BKPR posted:

I'm sure you guys are all aflutter about SMT4, but I've got a question about Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Is there a guide that tells you what actions you need to take to have different endings available? Just like what event to choose at each 30 minutes? I was trying to get a specific ending on my second playthrough, but apparently had missed some qualification for it.
What ending were you trying for? There is a walkthrough on gamefaqs but it's not exactly simplified (you'd have to actually read it and follow it along to know where the key events are). In general most routes are fairly obvious; you just spend time with the person whose ending you want. IIRC the only weird one is Atsuro, where I believe you have to make sure Keisuke doesn't die which involves giving Mari's bag to Kaido. At least I think that was a requirement. You obviously also have to prevent Haru's suicide, as failing to do so locks you out of every ending except for one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Terper posted:

If Nintendo gets Atlus (which is what I'm rooting for) then in a distant future we might have Jack Frost Smashing with the rest of the Bros.
Which would be great.

I love how unphased the MC (I guess Makoto now?) looks when a giant shadow's hand is about to burst through the dorm window. :allears:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Nate RFB posted:

What ending were you trying for? There is a walkthrough on gamefaqs but it's not exactly simplified (you'd have to actually read it and follow it along to know where the key events are). In general most routes are fairly obvious; you just spend time with the person whose ending you want. IIRC the only weird one is Atsuro, where I believe you have to make sure Keisuke doesn't die which involves giving Mari's bag to Kaido. At least I think that was a requirement. You obviously also have to prevent Haru's suicide, as failing to do so locks you out of every ending except for one.

You could still get Atsuro's ending even with Haru killing herself in the original, and I can't imagine they changed it. His ending doesn't rely on it at all.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Atsuro's was the one I was going after, yeah. Wasn't aware of how to keep Keisuke alive, so that was probably what did it. Otherwise I took every opportunity to talk with Atsuro and follow up by talking to whoever he suggested. Does his ending rely on keeping Mari alive? That fight was a pain the rear end and I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yes. If Mari dies, so does Keisuke. And if they are dead, then Atsubro is too broken up to come up with his plan.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BKPR posted:

Atsuro's was the one I was going after, yeah. Wasn't aware of how to keep Keisuke alive, so that was probably what did it. Otherwise I took every opportunity to talk with Atsuro and follow up by talking to whoever he suggested. Does his ending rely on keeping Mari alive? That fight was a pain the rear end and I'd rather avoid it if possible.

I think that's a requirement, yeah. You need to get Kaido to shift his priorities from hunting Keisuke to saving Mari, so chances are the game will force you to save Mari. Kudlak's not hard, he's vulnerable to stone so I suggest making a suspend save when you're in range of him, engage him, try to petrify him and just attack until he shatters. Reload if you can't petrify him. It also helps to trap him with a few characters so he can't get away.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MarsDragon posted:

You could still get Atsuro's ending even with Haru killing herself in the original, and I can't imagine they changed it. His ending doesn't rely on it at all.
Really? I could sworn that it was brought up in the previous thread. That failing to do so locked you into Yuzu's ending. I never tested it out because, well, why would anyone skip that event?

E: As an aside, it's actually possible (and not too difficult after you've played through it a number of times) to end Day 6 with every ending available and every character alive/recruitable.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 22, 2013

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
So I just got a 3ds and i love dungeoun crawlers, should I het SMT4 or Soul Hackers?
I've only played persona titles so far.
Thanks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome Andy posted:

So I just got a 3ds and i love dungeoun crawlers, should I het SMT4 or Soul Hackers?
I've only played persona titles so far.
Thanks

Etrian Odyssey 4 would be your first bet. Between the two of those though, SMT4

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Yeah I looked into EO4 but my gamestop doesn't have it, probably going to pick up SMT4.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's hard to even find fun in Soul Hackers since you pretty much solo 90% of the game with Nemissa. I don't really see a reason to ever play Soul Hackers now that SMT4 is out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome Andy posted:

Yeah I looked into EO4 but my gamestop doesn't have it, probably going to pick up SMT4.

You might was to consider it (EO4) digital because it is an Atlus game and thus probably already out of print in English. Otherwise, yeah, SMT4.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Terper posted:

Which would be great.

I wonder how they'll handle Igor, since his Japanese VA passed away a few years back. I've been worried that they'll get rid of the character by the time Persona 5 comes out, I hope they find an alternative.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I wonder how they'll handle Igor, since his Japanese VA passed away a few years back. I've been worried that they'll get rid of the character by the time Persona 5 comes out, I hope they find an alternative.
Genderswap Igor 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Igor will probably just be recast. He isn't quite as 'huge' a deal as some characters and they have a legitimate reason for doing so so they can probably do it without fan backlash.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Go the Heihachi route, young Igor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Go the Heihachi route, young Igor.

I would only find this acceptable if he looks exactly like Cyborg 002.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is it the same studio that did Persona 4: The Animation? Because if it is, they'll probably just do what they did there and sample his lines from the game's audio files while giving Elizabeth extra dialogue to fill in the gaps.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Nate RFB posted:

Really? I could sworn that it was brought up in the previous thread. That failing to do so locked you into Yuzu's ending. I never tested it out because, well, why would anyone skip that event?

E: As an aside, it's actually possible (and not too difficult after you've played through it a number of times) to end Day 6 with every ending available and every character alive/recruitable.

I screwed up and forgot about that event one time when I was trying to get Naoya's ending, so I had to do Atsuro's again instead. Oops! But because of that I'm sure you're not absolutely locked into Yuzu's end if you mess that up.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Iceclaw posted:

Yes. If Mari dies, so does Keisuke. And if they are dead, then Atsubro is too broken up to come up with his plan.

I'd like to note that this isn't literally true. Even if Mari dies, if you agree with Keisuke's ridiculous philosophies long enough, he'll rejoin your party while still crazy in exchange for Midori. Granted, this is a pretty bad situation, and lands you in a later hell in which Kaido and Midori team up to kick your rear end and Midori also calls Black Frost to destroy you, which is a pretty hard fight, but it's very much a thing that can happen.

I know this because it happened to me on my first playthrough.

Edit: I don't know how Atsuro's ending counts with that because I failed the other conditions for his ending on that run.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 22, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm on day 6 of devil survivor over clocked and have no idea which route I'm going.
Keeping Gin alive was decently tough until I sprinted out and swapped him back. and the battle where black frost is helping demons is awesome haha I wonder where that goes.
I still just have Midori, Yuzu, and Atsuru in my group. Sadly I didn't save Kiesuke :(.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm sure this has been talked to death but I'm still on the fence here, I'm finally deciding to give Persona 3 a fair shot and I still can't decide between FES and Portable. Looking at all the bullet points people list off really doesn't help me decide because I'm a terribly indecisive wimp. Anyone have any opinions on if one version or the other was more fun to play through or better overall?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Speaking purely as a person who has never touched Persona 3, I've heard that P3P is more enjoyable to play (despite missing the cinematics) because you can actually control your characters instead of depending on the AI. On the otherhand, FES is an unfun slog that can just be experienced through the powers of Youtube.

e: That's what I mean, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Hace fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's not FES itself that people have a problem with, it's the bonus scenario The Answer that people seem to hate.

P3P seems to have more content, but the presentation is compromised. On the other hand, the presentation of P3 isn't really that good to begin with (although I can definitely understand wanting the 3D models/anime scenes instead of talking heads). If I had to choose, I would pick Portable, because I don't care for the AI companions in FES.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 22, 2013

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, so the bonus scenario isn't even that great? Last time I played it I never even came close to it so I guess that answers that!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really I feel the somewhat better s links gained from p3p's female route don't make up for the lack of 3D models. So many scenes come off really badly without the movement and stuff. And while it is nice that you can s link your entire party and stuff unlike p4 they actually had character development in the main story so I didn't feel it was a hugely needed thing. I still think FES is the definitive version and would recommend playing that over P3P. But I still think P3P is worth playing at some point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FES is kind of annoying because most of the VAs really phoned it in when they reprised their roles for the new content. It gets pretty jarring when they switch back and forth between the new and old lines.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mechanically P3P is better, with all the game updates that have been made from P4. I'm one of the people who argues for FES just because you don't really get the living in the city feeling in P3P since it's all just menus and portraits when you're not in a dungeon. But I'm just weird for liking running around Pawlownia Mall and the high school. Otherwise, if you don't care about that stuff, P3P is probably better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I argue more for vanilla P3 because of FES' VA issues and Portable's general loss of impact with the switch to the VN format. I'd still replay FES long before Portable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really I feel the somewhat better s links gained from p3p's female route don't make up for the lack of 3D models. So many scenes come off really badly without the movement and stuff. And while it is nice that you can s link your entire party and stuff unlike p4 they actually had character development in the main story so I didn't feel it was a hugely needed thing. I still think FES is the definitive version and would recommend playing that over P3P. But I still think P3P is worth playing at some point.

How about the battle thing? Is not being able to control your partners in FES as bad as some people make it out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Portable is basically the best of the lot. Some peopel really get upset at the lack of 3D visuals but I think the additional content makes up for it a lot more. Being able to control your party is also a lot better in the long run.

I also can't imagine playing P3 as the male lead against after the female route, which is just better in every way. If P3P is your first time playing the game you probably won't even really notice the missing stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It really isn't since most fights are designed around the fact that the AI isn't going to always do just what you want. It's also a very thematic choice since P3's group tends to be less cohesive than P4's, at least until very late in the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nuebot posted:

How about the battle thing? Is not being able to control your partners in FES as bad as some people make it out?

It comes down to who you use. Some characters seem to have better AI than others. (Mitsuru for example is infamous for the way her AI seems to work)

I always just used Koromaru, Aigis, and Yukari and they never once hosed me over on all my playthroughs. Since you can assign tactics to them it can take a lot of the annoyance out of the situation.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nuebot posted:

I never really had big issues with it. It just means battles are never 100 percent efficient, but the party AI tends to be serviceable the majority of the time, other than the occasional spamming of Marin Karin from Mitsuru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alright, thanks a ton guys I'm gonna grab myself a copy of FES if I can find one. If I like it I might play through portable if I feel like replaying it at a later date!