Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Got Aurora/angels all cleaned up and washed. I am not looking forward to assembling these. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Only started playing a few weeks ago with the Troll Battlebox, but I'm loving this game so far. I spoke with some friends about it (all of whom had never played a miniatures game before) and now we have our own gaming group consisting of a bunch of people picking up the Battleboxes for almost every faction. In the little slow-grow group we have going now, we have Cryx, Khador, Trollbloods, Skorne, Menoth, Retribution, and two Circle players.

At the end of the month as a group we're increasing to 15 points, since we'll all have a lot of Battlebox games under our belts by then. Starting from scratch with a lot of pals is a blast. I think I've only won a single game so far, but even losing is a riot with how aggressive and fast the games are.

Not the most content-filled post, but I just wanted to share.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome to hear man. It's really great to see the game catch on with new people.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
That's really cool to start up with a bunch of buds. The game really is (or should) be a blast even when you don't win so it sounds like things are going as planned so far!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
These models are a pain in the butt to clean up, but I am having a blast painting them.

His face is so shiny at the moment that the camera can't grab it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

omnibobb posted:

Got Aurora/angels all cleaned up and washed. I am not looking forward to assembling these. :/

How many pieces are the Angels? :(

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cyclomatic posted:

Warjacks using the Ironclad or Jug chassis to boot.

Hey now, I bought it and I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of use out of these three Khador light chassis.

Oh and my Cyriss are coming along, got a few more highlights and glows to do.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Sab669 posted:

The angels are a body, a backpack, a buttcape and 2 arms. They all like to fall off unless pinned (you can probably get away with not pinning the buttcapes). Aurora herself is 10 pieces, 7 of which should probably be pinned together

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

stabbington posted:

The angels are a body, a backpack, a buttcape and 2 arms. They all like to fall off unless pinned (you can probably get away with not pinning the buttcapes). Aurora herself is 10 pieces, 7 of which should probably be pinned together

Its like they are an entire faction of eFeora's smokepipes...

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I heard tell that the kickstarter was linked to sales of the starter boxes for 30 bucks via a code of some sort. How does that work and where can I find it?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

stabbington posted:

Jesus Christ, I'm going to do an Aurora with angels list, is there a good guide for pinning such small bits? I'm so excited about the army because it seems great and a brilliant change from my Trolls. I also want to say hellooooooooooo Numen while painting.

I don't have photos but I painted Swooping Hawks with chromatic wings ages ago when I wasn't a good painter and they look amazing, so I'm thinking about doing the same with these angels. I can't figure out if I want them to be all metal bodied or ceramic (Bakelite inspired plating basically).

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Its like they are an entire faction of eFeora's smokepipes...

FUUUCCK. I have Aurora and 15 Angels on the way... so, how awful is this going to be? Any advice for assembling them?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

theironjef posted:

Hey now, I bought it and I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of use out of these three Khador light chassis.

Oh and my Cyriss are coming along, got a few more highlights and glows to do.

I'm diggin the hell out of those bases man

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

theironjef posted:

I heard tell that the kickstarter was linked to sales of the starter boxes for 30 bucks via a code of some sort. How does that work and where can I find it?

In Update 15 there is a Coupon Code to enter on the Privateer Press website. Its still $10 for shipping though, unless you were planning a big order.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Organizing my stuff... Somehow I've ended up with an assortment of 22 deathrippers/wretches/defilers over the years.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I'm diggin the hell out of those bases man

Can't take credit for those: http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/base_sets/round%20lip%20bases/crux_machina_rlb.htm

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Hey do any of you guys know the stats for Cygnar's jr warcaster Jakes and commander Sturgis from the Warmachine kickstarter?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sivores posted:

Hey do any of you guys know the stats for Cygnar's jr warcaster Jakes and commander Sturgis from the Warmachine kickstarter?

http://files.privateerpress.com/nq/nqplus/NQ_Kickstarter_Special_Edition.pdf

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

dexefiend posted:

FUUUCCK. I have Aurora and 15 Angels on the way... so, how awful is this going to be? Any advice for assembling them?

It's gonna be pretty bad, but you can probably get through it. Just don't do it all at once unless you've got some pretty gnarly calluses, because they're pointy as poo poo and all the drilling you're going to do will kill your hands if you're using a pin vice.

As far as the angels go, the join points are pretty easy - you can just shave off the tiny bump they pretend will actually hold on to the model and drill a pin in in its place pretty easily, and drill a receiving hole in the divot where they join naturally anyhow. The biggest problem is keeping a good angle when drilling into the arms, since it's a pretty tight tolerance to keep the pin properly centered and deep enough while not bursting through the opposite side. I'd recommend a very strong adhesive on the arm end of the join - JB Weld if can spare the time and don't mind working around the relative mess. The backpack is relatively simple, it's the same bump and divot as the rest, but two easily drilled flat surfaces, and removing the bump gives you a handy marking to reference off of. The buttcapes don't need a pin, but they are just kind of obnoxious.

For Aurora, you're going to want to pin the wings to her backpack (there's only one real point on the wings where you can run a pin without punching through empty space, it's pretty obvious), then the backpack to her back. Her weapon has her hand attached to it, which makes a nice pin point to attach it to her arm, which has a pretty easy point to pin it into the shoulder. Her right arm just pins to the shoulder, not a big deal. Her head doesn't really need pinning, nor does her loincloth/tabard thing or the plates on her thighs, but definitely wait for a good cure on your glue before you go trying to stick them in foam, since shear forces will be an issue until they're really set.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Did you guys see these Convergence warcaster spoiler pictures?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Otisburg posted:

Not nearly enough auxiliary limbs.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Otisburg posted:

On a serious note those are some pretty neat pens that I'd never use. :v:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Sab669 posted:

It's not a lot... 5-ish? It's the arms are just little regular arms and I have fat fingers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Warmans episode 2 just dropped on muse!

http://museonminis.com/warmans-episode-2-face-slapped-at-b-dubz-by-another-man/

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Whoever designed the heavy vectors hates magnets, fun, and may be Hitler.

Also, someone convince me to magnetize my cyriss lights. It looks like it would be absurdly easy since the different part connects onto the torso with a big wide area, and that way I can use my specialty-bases and decide which is on what each game :v: On the other hand, I'll never have more bits than legs and can just glue them into place and never look back.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Does anyone play thornfall? Are they as fun as they look?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Whoever designed the heavy vectors hates magnets, fun, and may be Hitler.
I just imagined magnetizing a real vector that immediately sticks all moving parts to the magnet and folds into a ball. Thank you for that mental image. :allears:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

albany academy posted:

Does anyone play thornfall? Are they as fun as they look?

Thornfall is, charitably, a faction with very limited options, both in infantry and beasts. Some of the warlocks are strong but you couldn't take two thornfall lists in a competitive format and you could probably skip on taking even one as a minions player. Lord Carver is really strong in "who's the boss" games, though, and is probably the farrow caster to play.

The infantry is universally def12 and spd5, which is ehhhhhh, and not particularly good offensively, you'll see slaughterhousers in Circle sometimes though just to provide "weaponmaster" hitting power, but that's it. Thornfall can do a poo poo ton of damage, but not much else.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Thornfall is, charitably, a faction with very limited options, both in infantry and beasts. Some of the warlocks are strong but you couldn't take two thornfall lists in a competitive format and you could probably skip on taking even one as a minions player. Lord Carver is really strong in "who's the boss" games, though, and is probably the farrow caster to play.

The infantry is universally def12 and spd5, which is ehhhhhh, and not particularly good offensively, you'll see slaughterhousers in Circle sometimes though just to provide "weaponmaster" hitting power, but that's it. Thornfall can do a poo poo ton of damage, but not much else.

So if I did a 15 point for-fun list I could probably have fun?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

albany academy posted:

So if I did a 15 point for-fun list I could probably have fun?

Sure. Carver's a fun 15 point caster.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Sure. Carver's a fun 15 point caster.

Sweet. Those models just look hilarious.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

My first faction was Thornfall :emo:. They are a glass cannon faction that is slow, inaccurate, and suffers severely from its limited model selection. It just doesn't work as a faction. They have some answers for problems 1 and 2 but not problems 3 through 9, which becomes a serious problem as the points get higher. The models are amazing across the board though, enough so that I still hear their siren call after being miserable with them for months. For low point games as a side project sure. They will absolutely truck some stuff and it'll be fun. Definitely start with Carver.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 22, 2013

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

It's also worth mentioning that the distance between "Tournament-tier" and "underpowered" is less vast than in a lot of other games.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

It's also worth mentioning that the distance between "Tournament-tier" and "underpowered" is less vast than in a lot of other games.

Yeah, it's kind of like baseball. At any given level of player skill, the worst list still beats the best one at least a quarter of the time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I dunno, I feel like Venethrax and a pile of McThralls and Cephalyx would have a hard time beating anything :colbert:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I dunno, I feel like Venethrax and a pile of McThralls and Cephalyx would have a hard time beating anything :colbert:

I have actually played against that list in a casual tournament. It went 1 and 3 iirc.

EDIT: the 2012 WMW 35-pt youngblood on friday, before anyone calls bullshit.

EDIT: I think it's worth noting that there's also a clear and direct relationship between terrible lists and low skill. You may see brand new players netdecking (or just brilliant), and you may see Bulldog or whoever playing with essentially random poo poo just because he can, but in general, the more skilled the player, the more his models will synergize both with his preferred style of play and with each other. That definitely influences peoples' perceptions of the importance of list-building and matchups. They matter a lot, they just don't matter as much as we think they matter.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 22, 2013

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Player skill is more important than list contents. I think the best proof of this is the sheer diversity of factions at major events, usually every faction is represented and while some are more popular, they're all decently competitive in the right hands.
When I went through the warham fantasy room at Adepticon, there were maybe 2 tables in the entire cafeteria-sized room that didn't have some combination of the 3 in-vogue factions that I don't recall offhand.

In summary: Play what you want to play, have fun, don't be a poo poo when you get a bad matchup. You'll do fine most of the time and get better as you play.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
After thinking about them more and more I have to say that I love Steelsoul Protectors. Either guarding your valuable support pieces, taking a hit meant for your vector or shielding your warcaster in case a lucky shot gets through. For 2 points the are invaluable to the Cyriss war engine, a pocket Shield guard can really wreck some opportunities. I hope they get character upgrade like Dartan Vilmon for Paladins.

Maybe something like Iron Sentinel or even Auto Repair, just because.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

After thinking about them more and more I have to say that I love Steelsoul Protectors. Either guarding your valuable support pieces, taking a hit meant for your vector or shielding your warcaster in case a lucky shot gets through. For 2 points the are invaluable to the Cyriss war engine, a pocket Shield guard can really wreck some opportunities. I hope they get character upgrade like Dartan Vilmon for Paladins.

Maybe something like Iron Sentinel or even Auto Repair, just because.

It took most of your paragraph for me to realize that I did not in fact have the MtG thread tab open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

It took most of your paragraph for me to realize that I did not in fact have the MtG thread tab open.

Clearly you lack focus in the Nine Harmonics *spergin*

• Locked thread