Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
they will lose 2000 bucks in just spoilage in a couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh whoops misread

quote:

We believe that starting small and staying within our means will allow us to solidly grow while avoiding many of the risks that opening a storefront or rushing into expansion would bring. We believe that our passion for our product is what will allow us to overcome obstacles and keep moving forward.

The one risk we felt we had with the project was our ability to ship in the summer which is why we will be shipping out rewards in November instead! We look forward to delivering delicious chips & dips to our backers!

so yeah they are specifically not opening a storefront. instead they will exclusively sell to people on the internet who are willing to wait a week for their meager package of "cake chips" instead of spending five bucks on a box of betty crocker and splattering it haphazardly on a baking pan

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

oh whoops misread

so yeah they are specifically not opening a storefront. instead they will exclusively sell to people on the internet who are willing to wait a week for their meager package of "cake chips" instead of spending five bucks on a box of betty crocker and splattering it haphazardly on a baking pan

or just buying a box of fuckin cookies

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Werthog 95 posted:

even so, their "commercial kitchen space" will have to be a 5x5 storage unit somewhere in the south bronx

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you know how americans say a box of cookies and the british say a tin of biscuits maybe cake chips means the same thing in retard

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

DaTroof posted:

even so, their "commercial kitchen space" will have to be a 5x5 storage unit somewhere in the south bronx

depending on NY law you can legally use a home kitchen to prepare and sell food. it has to meet certain health codes but its not unreasonable

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

they specifically say they wanna rent a kitchen

idg why they're bothering tho if they're just selling some dumb poo poo on the internet. who even cares

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it's a dumb product but it's not a dumb idea to have a home based business selling food if you can get away with it legally

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

creatine posted:

depending on NY law you can legally use a home kitchen to prepare and sell food. it has to meet certain health codes but its not unreasonable

they said commercial kitchen space, not me

but if their plan is to use a home kitchen, i guess that explains why it'll take them four months to ship the first batch

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
they don't want to rush to expand but they want to rent a commercial kitchen, wtf

have they sold anything yet? if they are selling online that's the only reason to jump to rent a kitchen, if they are already outgrowing their home kitchen

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Unfortunately, one of the reasons we created a Kickstarter campaign for CakeChips is because we couldn't afford the costs of purchasing packaging and equipment to nitrogen flush and seal our product to give it a longer shelf life. While we have the recipes and have made the product before, we are unable to ship them as of now. We are still working on food handling licenses as well, so even if we could package and ship we wouldn't be able to sell it to you until we got cleared by the Department of Health.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the number of backers went up from 131 to 132 in the last minute or so

which one of you was it

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

shuttleworth wants to crowdsource an unbuntu phone, he only needs $32 million

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/22/4545256/canonical-ubuntu-edge-crowdfunding-launch-pictures

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/22/4545256/canonical-ubuntu-edge-crowdfunding-launch-pictures

Can the internet raise $32 million to build the Ubuntu Edge smartphone?

not in a million years

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
welcome to last page

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Migishu posted:

Hey guys, do you have problems with keeping your lovely $2 earbuds in your ears? Ever wanted to turn your earphones into headphones?

No? Because you're not an el-cheapo fucktard who buys $2 earbuds? Well have I got a product for you.

I have found it, the most worthless kickstarter.

check out the reward tiers

they have a limited "first backers" tier where you get a set for "only" $20, and then an unlimited $25 tier where you get the headset

four people either didn't read closely enough and just skipped straight to the $25 tier

or they believe so strongly in the dream that they just wanted to give more

$25 to keep a lovely $2 pair of earbuds in

rofl

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
are there companies you can hire where people donate to kickstarters to raise the profile and make it look more viable?

like you pay them cost of donation plus 2% or something

sorta like how buskers and homeless people seed their collection instrument case or cup or whatever

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'll pay them money to get them to keep their lovely 3d printed crap to themselves

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

check out the reward tiers

they have a limited "first backers" tier where you get a set for "only" $20, and then an unlimited $25 tier where you get the headset

four people either didn't read closely enough and just skipped straight to the $25 tier

or they believe so strongly in the dream that they just wanted to give more

$25 to keep a lovely $2 pair of earbuds in

rofl

considering all 19 backers are undoubtedly friends & family members, they probably threw the extra five bucks at him out of pity

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Mr. Apollo posted:

reminder that he is personally wealthy enough to buy a ticket into space on iss but he had to beg strangers to get seed money for a business (that they in turn will have no equity in)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

kickstarter makes sense for unknown person with a crazy dream but it's a loving scam and a half for anyone who could get the attention of actual vcs, see also: star citizen

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

maniacdevnull posted:

reminder that he is personally wealthy enough to buy a ticket into space on iss but he had to beg strangers to get seed money for a business (that they in turn will have no equity in)

it's a pretty sensible move to isolate your personal wealth away from business ventures, and it's awesome if you can get a bunch of idiots to throw money at you just by saying "rakishly chamfered edges"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Dr. Honked posted:

it's a pretty sensible move to isolate your personal wealth away from business ventures

i don't disagree, but he can do other things to raise money that aren't carney style hucksterism

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

kickstarter makes sense for unknown person with a crazy dream but it's a loving scam and a half for anyone who could get the attention of actual vcs, see also: star citizen

and that guy from scrubs

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

this is peak crowdsource

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

creatine posted:

this is exactly what amy sedaris has been up too lately

in case you thought that woman was at all sane

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Al! posted:

Can the internet raise $32 million to build the Ubuntu Edge smartphone?

not in a million years

lol

a whole lot of idiots ponied up 8 million for ouya

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is exactly what amy sedaris has been up too lately

in case you thought that woman was at all sane

i remember hearing an interview with her and realizing that jerry blank wasn't that much of a stretch

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

would

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

coreycoryecorey posted:

and that guy from scrubs

oh yeah him too and also veronica mars

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

goes without saying

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

maniacdevnull posted:

i don't disagree, but he can do other things to raise money that aren't carney style hucksterism

i concur

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cold on a Cob posted:

are there companies you can hire where people donate to kickstarters to raise the profile and make it look more viable?

like you pay them cost of donation plus 2% or something

sorta like how buskers and homeless people seed their collection instrument case or cup or whatever

good idea, lets make such a company. we'll call it "kickstarter kickstarter". i'll make the kickstarter kickstarter kickstarter. we might need a few friends to be kickstarter kickstarter kickstarter kickstarters

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bazinga!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Gonna browse through indigogo and just see what they have...

Oh, look, it's the drat Ubuntu phone again, lol I hope they fai...

$1m funding so far :negative:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Migishu posted:

Gonna browse through indigogo and just see what they have...

Oh, look, it's the drat Ubuntu phone again, lol I hope they fai...

$1m funding so far :negative:

cheer up bucko they've got 31 million to go. that's 37.3k people preordering an $830 phone, without any hands-on reviews from the press (let alone actual personal experience with the device), a year ahead of time

there aren't really that many complete loving idiots out there, right?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

as of now, 356 people have claimed the $20 "reward" of having their name on the ubuntu edge founders page

christ

shadowhawk's gotta eat somehow, i guess

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

as of now, 356 people have claimed the $20 "reward" of having their name on the ubuntu edge founders page

christ

shadowhawk's gotta eat somehow, i guess

there aren't even that many people who use Ubuntu

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also it's pretty hosed up to launch an Ubuntu Kickstarter while Nelson Mandela is clinging to life in a near-vegetable state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

idgi. is that just a vaguely racist statement that is only cause ubuntu is a bantu word or was mandela actually somehow associated with the project?

• Locked thread